Thread: Sean Dyche comments on Konate

Sean Dyche comments on Konate

Given the standard of Refereeing we have all witnessed to date, I can understand SD’s frustration tbf because I too was convinced that Konate was going to get a second yellow and was shocked he didn’t.

The reason I was convinced was not based on the actual tackle itself but more based on Referees current trigger happy approach to issuing yellow cards, regardless if a yellow card was actually merited.

Now, I think Konate was naive on both counts, his deserved yellow card tackle on the edge of Everton’s penalty box when Everton were down to 10 men was just plain dumb, given that Everton did not pose a real threat on the break throughout the whole game.

The second potential yellow card tackle like Jota’s second yellow against Spurs, was both stupid and naive and on that basis alone deserved a second yellow for sheer stupidity of it regardless of its severity 🙄🙄, I can imagine Klopp was absolutely bloody livid with Konate after the game.

My question is, in real terms how bad was the tackle and how did it compare to similar fouls committed during the match that also failed to receive a yellow card ?

I believe the uproar raised by SD and pundits alike is based merely on the fact that if given, the contest would see Liverpool also down to 10 men like Everton and as such that would seem fair.

Which i think is the real problem here, and its a really important point,

WHEN DID THE ASSESSMENT OF EACH TACKLE IN ISOLATION STOP BECOMING RELEVANT ?

If somebody commits two outright CLEAR yellow cards in a game, it is irrelevant if it occurs in the in the first 30 seconds or the last thirty seconds or either side of half time, do not overthink it, just do it.

So, if somebody who is on a yellow card just commits another foul it shouldn't be assumed that its automatically deserving of second yellow, if its a clear yellow, then fine, but the first yellow card should in no way influence the decision to issue the second.

Don't get me wrong, like I said earlier Konate could have had no complaints if he had received a second yellow card, but I agree with the Ref on this occassion in that I don't think it was a clear yellow.

However, Sean Dyche came out in his post match interview, stating firstly that Ashley Youngs first yellow card was disputable…. apparently deliberately taking out Diaz at knee level with no intent to win the ball and stopping Diaz breaking down the wing unchallenged wasn’t a yellow card, but Konate just putting his arm in front of Beto who then fell to the ground like he had been shot, knowing Konate was already on a yellow, was..really !!

I am sorry Sean, you cannot have it both ways and besides on that basis Everton are a very physical side and if he genuinely believes Konate’s foul was deserving of a yellow card, I can see Everton playing with 10 men far more often from than not now on, and there are going to be a lot more penalties in every match given how players man handle each other in the penalty box in every single match.

We did get lucky, not because it was necessarily deserving of a second yellow, but more because Refs are so poor and so inconsistent and nobody can fathom their thought processes or rationale anymore, they do way too much over thinking these days instead of just Refereeing each incident on its merits.

The thing that annoys me most is that sort of challenge is even considered a booking in the first place. Referee’s used to apply common sense when a player was clipped by another player running alongside (not making a challenge) but now they seem so card happy for what is nothing more than accidental contact.

What are they saying? You can’t run alongside an opponent now

Refereeing has reached the point where it is impossible to predict how any referee will react to any given situation.
    The Laws of the Game are frequently being ignored.
    This situation should be investigated independently.
    The game in the Premier League has gone to shit and is showing no signs of improving.

Watching the Chelsea v Arsenal game, like many times before on a corner there is ridiculous holding. In this one Enzo had wrapped both his arms around the striker at the same time with his back to the corner flag….it was clear to be seen. It’s gone absolutely crackers when a yellow is awarded outside the box for a fairly innocuous block yet , in the box anything goes.
    As for 2 yellows I have always advocated a “ sin bin “ situation. One yellow followed by another then an orange “ sin bin” . Off the pitch for 10 min , no subs. Next yellow is a straight red.

Not sure where to post this, so here goes.
    Watching the Rugby World Cup Final, and the communication from the referee has been impeccable. I believe EPL officials will at some point, soon hopefully, have to follow suit. This alone could improve the game considerably (imho).