Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread : Liverpool v Nottingham Forest

Just want Utd to take a point today and that’ll do.

A big ask when you look at their line up .. they’ve started with Maguire and Johnny Evans at CB.

Complacency is City’s biggest danger today

First and foremost great result today, I thought Forest on the most part were kept in their box and we managed the game well enough, but I dont know if I expect too much, but in games like this were the opponent is not really posing a threat and is clearly inferior, I get really annoyed when certain players just seem to drop their level, either through being too casual as its too easy or simply losing concentration.

Forest despite being clearly inferior, late in the game managed to hit the bar and also missed a sitter with a ball that was played across our box to an unmarked midfielder driving into the box….

Now I have been watching the game long enough and accept that even a poor team can create chances against the best of sides, but what I cannot accept is when those chances are created not through their own good play, but through our own players being as mentioned initially, too casual and losing concentration.

I thought this happened once too often today, I am sure Klopp will sort it, but hopefully all our players realise that If we are going to achieve this season, incidences like these will have to be avoided at all cost.

Better teams will punish these incidences, so let today be a valuable lesson learned…

I believe this season can be a really great one, but we do really need to stay 100% focused and concentrated in every game, regardless of the opposition….

A lovely afternoon kickabout in the park for the lads. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by BOBPAISLEYFAN View Post
    I believe this season can be a really great one, but we do really need to stay 100% focused and concentrated in every game, regardless of the opposition….
    The League Cup campaign could shape up nicely if we beat Bournemouth. Fingers tightly crossed. Winning it would put us on.....is it nine(?) which would temporarily put us out in front as the leading winners (numerically) of that Tournament which is always desirable.

I also remain cautiously optimistic about a good Europa League run. I think everyone here knows I'd love us to win it - and let's not forget it would round off Klopp's trophy haul. It would also get us into the territory of having won the tournament 4 times - I think a few sides (Inter is one?) have won it 3 times but nobody has won it more than 4 times except of course for serial winners Sevilla.

The absolute dream would be to one day be in the lead for -

Champion's Leagues
    Europa Leagues
    English Leagues
    Fa Cups
    League Cups

- simultaneously. Now of course that isn't remotely likely (mainly due to Real Madrid's ridiculous record in Europe) but we could lead for League Cups if we play our cards right and get closer to Sevilla. Indeed being in the top three historically for the League, the League Cup, the Europa, the FA Cup and the Champion's League is some achievement (even if we are tied for some of those) and I'd love for us to better our position where we can in each respective format.

Quote Originally Posted by HLOGI View Post
    Cone on the Reds.
    Cone on the Barbarian?

Good result to be expected at home V Forest but still have to get the job done, and very well done it was, missed the game but I shall be catching up.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Good result, good performance in parts, bit sloppy second half, gave up a few too many decent big chances through poor positioing in the press and in defence, not scanning or anticipating what or who was on, we need that constant verbal and visual communication and directing of each other we had in 19-20 back to really nail the press and counter press now, it needs doing

Trent needs to remember his incredible quality and delivery from inside or wide advanced right positions that made him, arriving in time and space Mo and Szlobo are creating for him, rather than resting on his laurels, chilling in midfield literally just 5 -10 yards away not making any effort to move into that space and provide an option, we need to work recognise and work on every possible opportunity to create and score more goals and the variety of ways we can as play and movementdevelops between the new and established players, as it has between Mo and Szlobo

Mac's been excellent at No6 so far for me, he does have the odd lapse or 2, often because he's attracted by another player Szlobo or Trent should have who's free for transition to be fair and he ends up between his man central and their man right, i think this and the above re Trent shows there's work to be done

As Mo and Szlobo are combining Trent should be picking that player up in a RCM position, while simultaneously being placed to move into the space Szlobo moving ahead of Mo making a run through the channel creates, then Mac moves to Trent's player and a CB to Mac's, how it's supposed to work

We let them find their No10 in time and space way too easy too many times in the second half today
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    The League Cup campaign could shape up nicely if we beat Bournemouth. Fingers tightly crossed. Winning it would put us on.....is it nine(?) which would temporarily put us out in front as the leading winners (numerically) of that Tournament which is always desirable.

I also remain cautiously optimistic about a good Europa League run. I think everyone here knows I'd love us to win it - and let's not forget it would round off Klopp's trophy haul. It would also get us into the territory of having won the tournament 4 times - I think a few sides (Inter is one?) have won it 3 times but nobody has won it more than 4 times except of course for serial winners Sevilla.

The absolute dream would be to one day be in the lead for -

Champion's Leagues
    Europa Leagues
    English Leagues
    Fa Cups
    League Cups

- simultaneously. Now of course that isn't remotely likely (mainly due to Real Madrid's ridiculous record in Europe) but we could lead for League Cups if we play our cards right and get closer to Sevilla. Indeed being in the top three historically for the League, the League Cup, the Europa, the FA Cup and the Champion's League is some achievement (even if we are tied for some of those) and I'd love for us to better our position where we can in each respective format.
    Agreed, but lets not forget that with regards the Champions League / European Cup. Real Madrid actually won the European Cup in 56/57/58/59/60 in its first five years as a competition, they then won it 66/98/00/02 and then 14/16/17/18/22.

Which tbf is remarkable, but I am not sure it really was considered relavent or came onto our radar in the UK until Celtic won it in 67, a bit like the World Club Championship of today being recognised more now as achievement, than it was when it was first launched.

So whilst Real Madrid do possess 14 titles, its only in the past 20 odd years that they have they truly made it their own, winning it 9 times. Unfortunately, two of them against us, one of those being the fucking Ramos final and then 2022 final, when we truly were robbed.

So if Klopp had a bit more luck on his side, one thing we can safely say that has been sadly lacking throughout his tenure at home and abroad, the stats could read Liverpool with 8 wins, second only to Real Madrids 12, (7 if you discount their first 5 meaningless wins :-)…. only kidding) but I think you gets my drift, we aint really that far off them in real terms.

Add in the tragic Heysel disaster, when one of the finals that we lost, that should have been abandoned on the night, and replayed.

The subsequent 5 year ban from European competition of all British clubs as a result of that disaster, cost Liverpool potential further titles, as at that time Liverpool were probably one of the best teams in Europe, if not the best.

So I think that it’s safe to say that if Real Madrid had suffered a similar ban, when one of their great teams were at their peak, they too would have won far less European Cup / Champions League titles than they have to date.

Throw in the Shankly team that was robbed by the ref in the Inter Milan match, I know that wasn’t in the European Cup, but that is further evidence to support, that European Football has been far kinder to Real Madrid than it has been to Liverpool over the years.

Just saying ….

Quote Originally Posted by BOBPAISLEYFAN View Post

Throw in the Shankly team that was robbed by the ref in the Inter Milan match, I know that wasn’t in the European Cup, but that is further evidence to support, that European Football has been far kinder to Real Madrid than it has been to Liverpool over the years.

Just saying ….
    Actually, that [bu] was [/b/u] a European Cup game. 1964 to 1965 European Cup semi-final.