Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The season so far

The season so far

So I had this post ready to go last week, and didn't post it. Felt a touch uneasy due to the ongoing situation with Diaz's family/dad. Whilst that situation was unresolved, Diaz came back and got an equaliser against Luton.
    Obviously the mood and frustration levels have moved with the 1-1 draw and performance. And the loss in France.
    Diaz's dad came home safe.

On paper a decent opening to the season.

The league after 10 games.. we've 23 points - 3 points off spurs in 1st with 26. They've had easier fixtures based on current league rankings of opponent's. Villa in 5th with 22 are the only other team above 20 points - top4 pace. 2 points per game = top 4 pace. Toon & brighten 1 win off on 17, manu 2 wins off on 15, cfc 3 wins off on 12 points

Europa League -aka Sid cup - 9 points from our opening 3 games,
    Leading 2nd&3rd by 5 points, and 4th by 9 points.
    In reality we qualify and most likely top of the group.

League Cup
    Quarter final .... we play West Ham at Anfield.
    Chelsea v Toon, Port Vale v Boro & Eve v Fulham make up the other quarters.

And yet it doesn't feel like we're maximised to get the best from our squad.

For me some persistent issues from last season remain. Elliott is much improved but still a bit short of 1st team standards. Less of a problem.
    &
    Trent Rb/6 thing doesn't seem to be a great tactic or solution. Open to time, opinions, stats or articles to the contrary.

New arrivals settling in well so far. Midfield rejuvenated.

Robbo out till January reportedly, a big miss.
    Thiago & Bajcetic returns from injury... pushed back another few weeks.. again..
    Diaz facing an obviously difficult and ongoing situation with family in Colombia. Hopefully both parents get home safely
    After 11 games we're in 3rd with 24 points, ahead of arsenal - 1 more goal scored 24 total - equal on goal difference.
    2.18 ppg and 3 points off city.

For me our shape needs fixing. I'd go back 4 and 442 primarily, 4231 and 244 counter-pressing.

In short, think we have a lot more to get from this group of players. A quarter of the way through the season, we're in a great position.

Only 3 points to behind city 12 games (I think) in ,with us at home to Brentford and City away to Chelsea at the weekend. I'd of taken that in August.

I would suggest our start, all things considered has been not too bad.. (thanx Bill Bailey :-) )

I would suggest given the circumstances around all of our games what with Red cards and VAR, I think 7/10 is probably fair.

I think we would benefit from a more settled line up, I do understand all this chopping and changing, trying to find the best combo, but imho it is seriously contributing to the lack of rhythm and understanding in most of our games, but on the whole very encouraged and the squad is showing lots of potential.

I am intrigued to see how the team finally performs if and when the whole team finally play to their obvious potential… Brentford is going to be a tough challenge, lets get a good performance and result under our belt and then hopefully really show our potential against City with a really positive result and Ivam sure we will all be a lot happier….

I agree with the general consensus that we'd have all taken this position after the games played.
    Not confident for tomorrow though, I think we'll draw.

We are really good.

We are not pant-shittingly brilliant yet. Whether we become awesome this season - could go either way.

I don't think anyone has had a amazing start to be honest, it's why it's so close up there.

Villa has had the best start I guess.

City starting to get into some great form though, sadly if other clubs carry on dropping pts as of late, they'll be quite a few pts ahead the start of 2024

Shame we dropped silly pts and VAR has made us drop pts... otherwise we'd be matching them.....

Hopefully still in touch start of 2024... if they pull 8 pts ahead or so, it's light out for anyone who's 2nd sadly yes they have the money, but the signings they made in the summer, very impressed with, we've missed out on 2 young top cb's in this league, van de ven and gvardiol
    Last edited by Kev0909; 12th November 2023 at 12:01 AM.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

We'll enter the international break AT WORST 3 points off top having changed up our midfield and being 80% of the way there with our attempt at reaching the knock-outs in the Europa and still in a League Cup tournament that Man City have been knocked out of.

I would have absolutely taken that at the start of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    We'll enter the international break AT WORST 3 points off top having changed up our midfield and being 80% of the way there with our attempt at reaching the knock-outs in the Europa and still in a League Cup tournament that Man City have been knocked out of.

I would have absolutely taken that at the start of the season.
    Yep Sid, not a bad place to be at all. Hopefully the break is kind to us...

C'mon Chelsea....

In 2 weeks we go to the Emptihad playing for 1st position. Second time in 13 games we playing to go 1st.

So with so many changes. Nunez, Sz8, Gravenberch, TAA all under 24. Red cards start of the season disrupting Flo even though we won games. Van Dijk not at his best, no proper 6. Injuries. Yet we are at the end of the table we always want to be.

So good season so far.

Agree - but remember it is early days - Also I think Virgil has been very close to his best - certainly of late,