Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Injuries: Liverpool Squad 23/24

Great news on Alisson - MacAllister has a cut so shouldn’t be out for long.

Still feeling sad about Joel. Might never see those lanky legs in the Red socks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

Still feeling sad about Joel. Might never see those lanky legs in the Red socks again.
    Open question to all. I know sentiment shouldn't rule how we do things too often as it means players stay one or two seasons too long (to our collective detriment) but would anyone be tempted to offer Matip one more year?

Great as you say on Alisson. If there is any doubt at all I am inclined to stick with Kelleher just for one more League match and let Alisson come back in for that Man United game. We should - SHOULD - have enough even without Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

Aye it's sad. I doubt we will see him again.
    At his age I don't see them offering him a new deal after that injury. A sad way for it to end if that's the way it goes. He deserved a better way to bow out . Never rocked the boat , always just got on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Open question to all. I know sentiment shouldn't rule how we do things too often as it means players stay one or two seasons too long (to our collective detriment) but would anyone be tempted to offer Matip one more year?

Great as you say on Alisson. If there is any doubt at all I am inclined to stick with Kelleher just for one more League match and let Alisson come back in for that Man United game. We should - SHOULD - have enough even without Ali.
    Sentiment says yes but it would be a risk. If a fan thinks that way you can bet your bottom lire that the people at the top would too.
    There was a fair amount of talk that this would be his last season so a new deal is very unlikely I'd say.

Klopp has said that if it was up to him he would give matip a new contract. But it's not up to him.

Personally, i think we need to move on. He does pick up injuries and he is 33 at the start of next year and recovering from an ACL. I wouldnt give it to him IF we were signing a top CB.

Other option. Would be make him 4th choice on decent wages. Buy a top cb and let gomez leave.

Virgil, Konate, top cb and matip and quansah as final back up.

I would be tempted to give him another year yes - not on sentiment but on his form and for the dna of the team. He has been here almost as long as Klopp.

On Alisson back in for Palace...? ...grrr.. not sure to be honest.. who would be a manager...? Throw Alisson back in too early and it backfires and you look a tit - stick with the young man who hasn't had that many minutes of late - he has a shaky game - we drop points...and again the manager gets questioned. It's why - if I had had the choice...I would be like Hansen, Lawrenson and Carra...stick to punditry rather than put myself in the firing line.

Honest answer .. dunno..

I would have given Matip another year. but with the injury and his age.. plus hes likely to pick up more injuries. It would be just going through the motions, may as well replace him with a younger player
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Tata to Matip and play Kelleher next game otherwise it sends the wrong message to young players.

Jurgen, Mac Allister "could be out for 5 days so 12 games" TWELVE?
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Jurgen, Mac Allister "could be out for 5 days so 12 games" TWELVE?
    Yes I heard that too.
    wtf
    Was it a slip of the tongue? or maybe it's his little dig at fixture pile up in December.