Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unorthodox potential team vs City on Saturday …..

Unorthodox potential team vs City on Saturday …..

Having watched several podcasts on our preferred starting eleven for Saturday’s game against City, they are all trying to take into account the time, scale and extent of expected International travel, game time played whilst also trying to counter the various threats that City can pose…with that in mind here is my set up..

I think going forward we are incredibly dangerous, but we do have a number of defensive positions that we need to address, namely our right and left back position and for this game who could be our most effective defensive midfielder… given the pace and technical ability of City.

So I think this might be a perfect opportunity to throw a real curve ball at Pep and play the following set-up.

Alison…

Gomez… Konate … Virgil …. Quansah

Trent …. DS ….. Gravenberch

Salah ….. Jota…… Nunez

A solid back four of Gomez and Konate to hopefully counter the frightening pace of Doku on the right, Virgil to hold Quansah’s hand to ensure a really solid defensive block on the left.

A midfield of Trent and Gravenberch either side of the technically superb, clever, quick and athletic DS will I think be able to match City’s midfield and provide the necessary bullets for our attack.

A forward line of Salah up against Gvardiol, Jota with his great touch, movement and clinical finishing to keep their central defence guessing and put Nunez up against Walker which will be an interesting defensive challenge for Walker which I am sure Nunez will really enjoy….

With Diaz, Macca, Gakpo, Doak and Jones able to come on and pose different challenges for City’s defence…

I know the above set up is never going to happen, but I think it would be interesting to see how it would work…

It's going to be all about how our 2 full backs do against they're wide men.
    If we keep them quiet I fancy us to win it 1-2.

We'll lose if we don't have similar ball possession. we wont be able to play 90+ minutes running after the ball not after midweek internationals and the early kick off.
    so its down to Mac Allister, Szoboszlai to play well in the middle.. we will always get chances against them. But its the game management that we often fall short in,against City away.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    We'll lose if we don't have similar ball possession. we wont be able to play 90+ minutes running after the ball not after midweek internationals and the early kick off.
    so its down to Mac Allister, Szoboszlai to play well in the middle.. we will always get chances against them. But its the game management that we often fall short in,against City away.
    We ken we cuid git at thaim wi' set plays Jeff 'n' we wirk th' channels weel. We go again Saturday whin we shuid hae yin or twa back.

MacAllister worries me, not playing well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    MacAllister worries me, not playing well at all.
    Dinna worry. Klopp kens better than ye.

anyone else hear the sound of a barking little bitch?or is it just me (excuse the pun)

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    anyone else hear the sound of a barking little bitch?or is it just me (excuse the pun)
    Just the sound of dog turd splatting....

Couple of selection headaches depending on how we want to approach the game.

Think Ian is spot on about how our full-backs cope.

I look at the midfield balance and an torn between solidifying it a bit with something like two of Endo and Jones (if fit) to go in with Szoboszlai, or throwing all caution to the wind and getting three in there who can get it forward to try and exploit every opportunity to counter - something like a three of Mac Allister, Szoboszlai and Gravenberch. Can't forget the option of Gakpo in midfield either, though it wouldn't be my pick for this.

Given Klopp's fondness for consistency and saving experimentation/rotation largely I think it will be Mac Allister, Szoboszlai plus one other.

Front three you'd think it's Salah, Núñez plus one other - do you go with the finishing capacity of Jota as chances may be limited, or do you go with the pace and trickery of Diaz to try and pin their right-back back a little?

Man City recently had a chaotic game against Chelsea I don't really "expect" anything when we travel to the Etihad so if it were up to me I would throw caution to the wind and go with the progressive Mac Allister, Gravenberch and Szoboszlai combo and a forward mix of Diaz, Núñez and Salah to keep them on their toes.

Won't be what we see so hardly matters. I do hope Van Dijk can keep Haaland in his pocket, would be nice not to watch him knee-sliding against us.

Snatch your hand off for a draw, really would. Dream scenario is a win with Núñez scoring a composed winner in the 93rd minute and no VAR controversy.

Id probably start this 11 myself

________________Alisson___________
    Trent_____Konate___Virgil__Timikas
    ____Macca___Gakpo___ Szoboszlai

Salah__________Nunez______Jota.