Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your team v West Ham (League Cup Quarter-Final)

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    Who wid ye play fur 45-60 minutes 'n' whit wid ye dae if we wur 0-1 doon efter 60 minutes?
    Would depend on medical staff input/guidelines in reality of course, so caveat with that.

But someone like Konate could come off after a while so he isn't doing 3 sets of 90 minutes on the spin - or you field a different centre-back against Arsenal. Same for one (or two?) of the forwards - don't have Salah finish the game if he doesn't need to. If Endo or Szoboszlai (or both) for example don't start then they can get a little time at the end or be saved entirely for consideration for the Arsenal fixture.

If still 1-0 down at 65 minutes I think you give them 5 more minutes tops and then just make the subs - end of the day those coming off the bench need to know they can be trusted.

Factor in as well that part of the reason I'd be willing to "push on" for these 2 matches is the fact that we should in theory (in THEORY!!!) be able to get away with rotation against Burnley as they are genuinely pants. If we can get 8 shots on target against upper mid-table Man United without playing well then Burnley is a winnable fixture with the right application.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Would depend on medical staff input/guidelines in reality of course, so caveat with that.

But someone like Konate could come off after a while so he isn't doing 3 sets of 90 minutes on the spin - or you field a different centre-back against Arsenal. Same for one (or two?) of the forwards - don't have Salah finish the game if he doesn't need to. If Endo or Szoboszlai (or both) for example don't start then they can get a little time at the end or be saved entirely for consideration for the Arsenal fixture.

If still 1-0 down at 65 minutes I think you give them 5 more minutes tops and then just make the subs - end of the day those coming off the bench need to know they can be trusted.

Factor in as well that part of the reason I'd be willing to "push on" for these 2 matches is the fact that we should in theory (in THEORY!!!) be able to get away with rotation against Burnley as they are genuinely pants. If we can get 8 shots on target against upper mid-table Man United without playing well then Burnley is a winnable fixture with the right application.
    It wid certainly be interesting tae watch th' reaction oan 'ere if Salah 'n' Diaz ur subbed oan 65 minutes whin 0-1 doon.

If ainlie fitba wur that easy. If we dinnae git a result against Arsenal thare is na option o' playing a weakened team against Burnley.

It wid certainly be interesting tae watch th' reaction oan 'ere if Salah 'n' Diaz ur subbed oan 65 minutes whin 0-1 doon.

If ainlie fitba wur that easy. If we dinnae git a result against Arsenal thare is na option o' playing a weakened team against Burnley.
    They may not like it - but it's up to the Manager to explain it to them ahead of time, get them on board. If we genuinely believe we are challenging for a title then players have to have the emotional maturity to understand being brought off in a Cup game to preserve them for a crunch match against the League leaders.

Not saying it's easy - just sometimes tough calls can be made - and we absolutely could play a weakened side against Burnley after a loss to Arsenal - fans may not like it and a few playing staff might dislike it as well, but they would just have to take that on the chin. I'm not suggesting u21s all over the show, just certain compromises - Gomez at centre-back instead of Konate, or Quansah getting in at centre-back while Gomez does right-back with Trent rested, Elliott and/or Jones starting in midfield - things of this Nature.

Just my take on it all - thankfully I am not the Manager.

Who would you field against West Ham?

I'd go something like this:

Alisson,

TAA, Konate, Quansah, Gomez

Elliott, Mac, Jones

Doak, Nunez, Gakpo,

Then bring on the big guns if needed.

I'd go something like this:

Alisson,

TAA, Konate, Quansah, Gomez

Elliott, Mac, Jones

Doak, Nunez, Gakpo,

Then bring on the big guns if needed.
    Quite a strong side that, no complaints - I would be expecting 6-8 of those lads to start against Arsenal.

Mac Allister unlikely to be available mind.

Angry

This is one of those awkward fixtures that part of you wants to win for the kudos of potentially winning another Trophy, but part of you can buy into the alternative narrative, that protecting players from injury is more important and so it doesn't matter if we lose…. utter garbage imho.

Personally I don't buy into the argument its only the League Cup, if its worthy enough to be listed on the “Champions Wall “ then it deserves our respect, yes there are other more prestigious trophies, but nothing is guaranteed and so whilst we are only 3 wins away from winning another Trophy coupled with the kudos of remaining on track for all four trophies, which in itself we have all seen previously what a great motivator that is for everyone at the club and how wonderful it is for team spirit.

So imho we really need to put the Utd game behind us by putting out a strong side capable of winning this game, then hopefully enjoy celebrating the win, which in itself would be the perfect tonic for team spirit and preparation for the big game against Arsenal on Sat.

Better that, than going into the massive game on Sat on the back of two very disappointing performances and results at home.

Saturdays game against Utd has to be one of the easiest games our defence has had all season, it was more like a training session, so I would only change the keeper and then go with the same back four as the Utd game.

Midfield needs a tweak given the Gravenberch injury so Curtis is the only other feasible option, Endo to remain in situ and DS simply needs to play himself back into form so hopefully this game just might be the catalyst..

However upfront needs work, so I would play Doak, Salah and Gakpo, bringing on Diaz and Nunez for the last 30 mins to hopefully put the game to bed..

Celleher

Trent - Konate - VD - Tsimikas

DS - Endo - Curtis

Doak - Salah - Gakpo

Subs to come on. Gomez - Nunez - Diaz

What's doak done every time he's had a chance?

Nothing
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post

Nothing
    Agreed…. but tbf you could levy that charge against lots of players who have gone on to have great careers at Liverpool, Doak has been given chances and on the whole I agree he has been disappointing, but we have seen brief glimpses of his potential.

However, very few youngsters who are given a chance to shine surrounded by experienced players instantly hit the ground running, the likes of Fowler, Macca and Gerrard are few and far between.

I just think that we need a bit more energy on the wing as Salah has been very quiet of late and Nunez needs pulling out of the spotlight, so although Doak hasn't shown enough he is the only other option we can try out there…

Yeah, I've no problem with Doak being used as a supersub. Like a 97th minute one....

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post

Nothing
    He's 17 ffs!
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side