Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second at Christmas - analysis and best wishes.

Second at Christmas - analysis and best wishes.

At the end of a tough 22/23 season we lost some key names. A lot of experience departed, whilst new lads came in. It left Liverpool fans staring at the Horizon, unsure as to whether rich lands were just beyond the mists, or if we were to face a spell of drifting amongst tumultuous currents.

Fast-forward somewhat and we have 4 new midfielders in Szoboszlai, Endo, Gravenberch and Mac Allister and the attacking unit looking very different these days.

A lot of Reds will have felt that the goal this season was to get a side that has not really "clicked" yet to get back into the Champion's League. It's also fair to say that Arsenal are probably a season or two ahead of us in terms of the development of their "new-look" side and yet 18 League matches into a season, we find that very little separates us in terms of goals scored, goals conceded or points accrued.

Performances feel somewhat below our points tally, which provokes many shouts that we are over-achieving. In truth, it's hard to say exactly where we are and what this team is capable of. Right now, it feels like minor details (or indeed tournaments in Africa and Asia) could spell a worrying slip back into fighting for 4th - yet here we are - actively participating in a title race, for the time-being.

Injuries begin to stack up. Matip is out for the season which is devastating, but does mean that Konate and Quansah have been thrust into having further responsibility, albeit at different levels.

Stretched thin, we're now crossing fingers that the Diaz injury was just a "sore one" rather than anything serious and that Jota will be back as soon as possible to assist an attack that is out of sorts right now. It's also seeing arguably our most eyebrow-raising midfield acquisition Watara Endo putting in increasingly good displays.

In terms of midfield player availability, the enigma that is Thiago remains in the fog, whilst Bajcetic seemingly isn't going to be risked for some time. A return of Alexis Mac Allister would be most welcome, though a timescale on his return deep after a deep cut isn't perfectly clear.

The more we play, the more questions seem to arise. Salah doesn't look quite himself (we have been here before!) and yet is involved in about half of our League goals. Are we engaged in a title race a year too soon, or do we simply need to put that thought to one side and get on with what looks a reasonable chance while Man City still aren't at it?

In terms of contenders, it is worth noting that we have the Etihad trip out of the way - Arsenal don't.

At this stage of the season, with 20 games to go, I tend to divide the matches up into 4 mini-sets of 5 matches. Who is to say we can't be top after the next set of 5 and how encouraging would that be? Time will tell.

In Europe, we have comfortably topped our Europa League group and thanks to a change in format, are in the last-16 and thus don't have to sweat over a last-32 tie. Any complaints that the Europa is "a long slog" can go out the window as we won't actually have to play any more matches than we would if we were in the Champion's League - plus we remain one of the best sides left in the Tournament.

In the League Cup, we are two matches away from a Final - and just how big a bit of silverware could be for some of our newer lads is hard to put into words. I hope we can win it and it gives the squad the extra boost to find more in the well in future games.

At times I implore Reds everywhere to try and "simply enjoy it" as I felt this season - "Year One" of Klopp's new side, was something of a "free hit" in that my expectations were so small - but I know how hard that is when excitement about our potential is high and how heavily the weight lies upon our shoulders at a time when Man City aren't their best - that sense that we may not get this chance again.

So I won't bother tonight. I'll simply say that we are a solitary point off top, that we are in it until we aren't and that life is bigger than the football - so I very much hope everyone here has the chance to enjoy a few days with their loved ones and perhaps over-indulge a bit.

Wishing everyone all the best - Merry Christmas Reds and let's hope that there is plenty to come in the closing of this calendar year and throughout 2024.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Great post, Merry Christmas to you as well.

All the b at to you Sid.
    Here's hoping for some joy in life and on the pitch in 24.

All the best to you Sid, you are an essential member of the Forum, don’t agree with everything you post but you always put your argument across well and NEVER get personal with people who disagree with you. A real talent that, certainly one I have struggled with over the years.

Have a great Christmas mate.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    All the b at to you Sid.
    Here's hoping for some joy in life and on the pitch in 24.
    *Best
    The defining moments in our lives are never planned.

That’s a Christmas Cracker of a post Sid… Enjoy..

Great post Sid. Well thought out analysis. My prediction is Arsenal top two, us top four or sadly five. That still means we could win it btw but it also means we could be just around the corner from the wheels falling off.
    What a fantastic game that was yesterday. Yet another marvellous example of what the EPL can serve up. Having just watched MOTD you realise how lucky we are to be immersed in such brilliant drama and entertainment. The story every year has some new plot twist with new characters. Last year NUFC this AVFC and not that long ago Leicester. Great to see MUFC and Chels having bit part roles. Its the story part that keeps me engaged. Having spent over 30 years in Glasgow the passion is great but the story is pointless. Shouting and balling for 10 months to get exactly where we knew we were going to get. Every single year the the League winners come from Glasgow.
    Long may the European Super League be a bankers wet pipe dream. Next chapter for us Burnley. Have they turned a corner at just the wrong time? Have Konate and Gomez turned a corner at just the right time? It's so tough being a Liverpool fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    At the end of a tough 22/23 season we lost some key names. A lot of experience departed, whilst new lads came in. It left Liverpool fans staring at the Horizon, unsure as to whether rich lands were just beyond the mists, or if we were to face a spell of drifting amongst tumultuous currents.

Fast-forward somewhat and we have 4 new midfielders in Szoboszlai, Endo, Gravenberch and Mac Allister and the attacking unit looking very different these days.

A lot of Reds will have felt that the goal this season was to get a side that has not really "clicked" yet to get back into the Champion's League. It's also fair to say that Arsenal are probably a season or two ahead of us in terms of the development of their "new-look" side and yet 18 League matches into a season, we find that very little separates us in terms of goals scored, goals conceded or points accrued.

Performances feel somewhat below our points tally, which provokes many shouts that we are over-achieving. In truth, it's hard to say exactly where we are and what this team is capable of. Right now, it feels like minor details (or indeed tournaments in Africa and Asia) could spell a worrying slip back into fighting for 4th - yet here we are - actively participating in a title race, for the time-being.

Injuries begin to stack up. Matip is out for the season which is devastating, but does mean that Konate and Quansah have been thrust into having further responsibility, albeit at different levels.

Stretched thin, we're now crossing fingers that the Diaz injury was just a "sore one" rather than anything serious and that Jota will be back as soon as possible to assist an attack that is out of sorts right now. It's also seeing arguably our most eyebrow-raising midfield acquisition Watara Endo putting in increasingly good displays.

In terms of midfield player availability, the enigma that is Thiago remains in the fog, whilst Bajcetic seemingly isn't going to be risked for some time. A return of Alexis Mac Allister would be most welcome, though a timescale on his return deep after a deep cut isn't perfectly clear.

The more we play, the more questions seem to arise. Salah doesn't look quite himself (we have been here before!) and yet is involved in about half of our League goals. Are we engaged in a title race a year too soon, or do we simply need to put that thought to one side and get on with what looks a reasonable chance while Man City still aren't at it?

In terms of contenders, it is worth noting that we have the Etihad trip out of the way - Arsenal don't.

At this stage of the season, with 20 games to go, I tend to divide the matches up into 4 mini-sets of 5 matches. Who is to say we can't be top after the next set of 5 and how encouraging would that be? Time will tell.

In Europe, we have comfortably topped our Europa League group and thanks to a change in format, are in the last-16 and thus don't have to sweat over a last-32 tie. Any complaints that the Europa is "a long slog" can go out the window as we won't actually have to play any more matches than we would if we were in the Champion's League - plus we remain one of the best sides left in the Tournament.

In the League Cup, we are two matches away from a Final - and just how big a bit of silverware could be for some of our newer lads is hard to put into words. I hope we can win it and it gives the squad the extra boost to find more in the well in future games.

At times I implore Reds everywhere to try and "simply enjoy it" as I felt this season - "Year One" of Klopp's new side, was something of a "free hit" in that my expectations were so small - but I know how hard that is when excitement about our potential is high and how heavily the weight lies upon our shoulders at a time when Man City aren't their best - that sense that we may not get this chance again.

So I won't bother tonight. I'll simply say that we are a solitary point off top, that we are in it until we aren't and that life is bigger than the football - so I very much hope everyone here has the chance to enjoy a few days with their loved ones and perhaps over-indulge a bit.

Wishing everyone all the best - Merry Christmas Reds and let's hope that there is plenty to come in the closing of this calendar year and throughout 2024.
    Great OP…cannot argue with any of your analysis….

We can all now sit back, relax and enjoy some quality time with our family and friends… Happy Xmas everyone :-)

Didn't expect us to be where we are, it's a weird season because I don't think we're playing great, I'm concerned about some players, Gakpo Nunez Diaz..... front 3 seem off... but yet we're 2nd.

Also the midfield is still not really "sorted"... yet we're 2nd.

Also looked dodgy at the back... yet you guessed it, we're 2nd.

if we have any chance of staying there/challenging all the way, january players in needed, the squad is far too small and it's showing now, sadly we still have injury prone players.... we need a new attacker, DM and a CB for near future over next few windows

I mean, Looking at utd and chelsea, I feel lucky even if we finish top 4.... still progress FSG need to sort some transfers for future though,especially if we lose salah, every penny best go back into players.

I think the injury's have got to Diaz.... doesn't score enough for me, we can't keep hoping salah scores all the time....... Nunez i'd transfer out if we could get in a clinical strker that also can press / be decent I don't think gakpo will ever be good enough apart from a squad player, I just don't see it, Doak isn't the answer, showed he can't step up so far and done nothing in the games he's had chances in against poor teams really. Still young I know, but you can tell if a player will be special.
    Last edited by Kev0909; 24th December 2023 at 04:05 PM.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Didn't expect us to be where we are, it's a weird season because I don't think we're playing great, I'm concerned about some players, Gakpo Nunez Diaz..... front 3 seem off... but yet we're 2nd.

Also the midfield is still not really "sorted"... yet we're 2nd.

Also looked dodgy at the back... yet you guessed it, we're 2nd.

if we have any chance of staying there/challenging all the way, january players in needed, the squad is far too small and it's showing now, sadly we still have injury prone players.... we need a new attacker, DM and a CB for near future over next few windows

I mean, Looking at utd and chelsea, I feel lucky even if we finish top 4.... still progress FSG need to sort some transfers for future though,especially if we lose salah, every penny best go back into players.

I think the injury's have got to Diaz.... doesn't score enough for me, we can't keep hoping salah scores all the time....... Nunez i'd transfer out if we could get in a clinical strker that also can press / be decent I don't think gakpo will ever be good enough apart from a squad player, I just don't see it, Doak isn't the answer, showed he can't step up so far and done nothing in the games he's had chances in against poor teams really. Still young I know, but you can tell if a player will be special.
    Nothing like optimism.