Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second at Christmas - analysis and best wishes.

Great OP Sid , all the best to you and to yours.
    The best friendships are built on a solid foundation of alcohol, cake, sarcasm and a dislike of the same people.

Great Post Sid.
    Seasons greetings to you and everyone else on the forum.
    Let us enjoy the ride!

That's a very very post Sid man. Happy Christmas to you and all on LFC Online.
    Here's to a happy 2024 and beyond...

Cheated by VAR v Spurs
    (Goal and x2 red cards)
    Cheated v Arsenal
    Definitely a penalty
    VAR very corrupted

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    At the end of a tough 22/23 season we lost some key names. A lot of experience departed, whilst new lads came in. It left Liverpool fans staring at the Horizon, unsure as to whether rich lands were just beyond the mists, or if we were to face a spell of drifting amongst tumultuous currents.

Fast-forward somewhat and we have 4 new midfielders in Szoboszlai, Endo, Gravenberch and Mac Allister and the attacking unit looking very different these days.

A lot of Reds will have felt that the goal this season was to get a side that has not really "clicked" yet to get back into the Champion's League. It's also fair to say that Arsenal are probably a season or two ahead of us in terms of the development of their "new-look" side and yet 18 League matches into a season, we find that very little separates us in terms of goals scored, goals conceded or points accrued.

Performances feel somewhat below our points tally, which provokes many shouts that we are over-achieving. In truth, it's hard to say exactly where we are and what this team is capable of. Right now, it feels like minor details (or indeed tournaments in Africa and Asia) could spell a worrying slip back into fighting for 4th - yet here we are - actively participating in a title race, for the time-being.

Injuries begin to stack up. Matip is out for the season which is devastating, but does mean that Konate and Quansah have been thrust into having further responsibility, albeit at different levels.

Stretched thin, we're now crossing fingers that the Diaz injury was just a "sore one" rather than anything serious and that Jota will be back as soon as possible to assist an attack that is out of sorts right now. It's also seeing arguably our most eyebrow-raising midfield acquisition Watara Endo putting in increasingly good displays.

In terms of midfield player availability, the enigma that is Thiago remains in the fog, whilst Bajcetic seemingly isn't going to be risked for some time. A return of Alexis Mac Allister would be most welcome, though a timescale on his return deep after a deep cut isn't perfectly clear.

The more we play, the more questions seem to arise. Salah doesn't look quite himself (we have been here before!) and yet is involved in about half of our League goals. Are we engaged in a title race a year too soon, or do we simply need to put that thought to one side and get on with what looks a reasonable chance while Man City still aren't at it?

In terms of contenders, it is worth noting that we have the Etihad trip out of the way - Arsenal don't.

At this stage of the season, with 20 games to go, I tend to divide the matches up into 4 mini-sets of 5 matches. Who is to say we can't be top after the next set of 5 and how encouraging would that be? Time will tell.

In Europe, we have comfortably topped our Europa League group and thanks to a change in format, are in the last-16 and thus don't have to sweat over a last-32 tie. Any complaints that the Europa is "a long slog" can go out the window as we won't actually have to play any more matches than we would if we were in the Champion's League - plus we remain one of the best sides left in the Tournament.

In the League Cup, we are two matches away from a Final - and just how big a bit of silverware could be for some of our newer lads is hard to put into words. I hope we can win it and it gives the squad the extra boost to find more in the well in future games.

At times I implore Reds everywhere to try and "simply enjoy it" as I felt this season - "Year One" of Klopp's new side, was something of a "free hit" in that my expectations were so small - but I know how hard that is when excitement about our potential is high and how heavily the weight lies upon our shoulders at a time when Man City aren't their best - that sense that we may not get this chance again.

So I won't bother tonight. I'll simply say that we are a solitary point off top, that we are in it until we aren't and that life is bigger than the football - so I very much hope everyone here has the chance to enjoy a few days with their loved ones and perhaps over-indulge a bit.

Wishing everyone all the best - Merry Christmas Reds and let's hope that there is plenty to come in the closing of this calendar year and throughout 2024.
    Where are the shouts we are over achieving ? On here or elsewhere?

For me the results being better than the performances points to the quality of player in the squad being high, but the performance of the team being sub-par.

It's a slight on Klopp in ways, whose managing a new group of players with the departures & arrivals of late tbf, that the team has had to come behind so often already.

Most points won from a losing position iirc, thats a sign of fighting back which shows good character and spirt within the squad. A testament to Klopps management, as a motivator and in profiling his squad.

It shows a weakness too. Sloppy at the back and the general shape is poor.
    For me this new squad is running tactically like last season. Which was kind of finally selected by Klopp at the end of the season. And it ignores the arrivals.

This year a few comebacks are down to subs and tweaks in formation almost begrudgingly made. But we'll rarely start a game in any other setup.

Having semi-forgotten about this thread, it popped to mind now that we are getting closer to the end of January.

Just quickly, a thank-you to all of you on the kind words and well-wishes. I really hope everyone is managing at the moment, as I know January is tricky for a lot of people - funds can be tight and I am sure almost everyone has at least one Anniversary of a loved one for this sort of period - and quite often suicide-related. The days will get longer and the weather will get brighter, so hang in there. On a lighter note, the Reds are still top and tonight are playing for a place in a Cup Final.

Miller, seeing as you elaborated a bit with -

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    All the best to you Sid, you are an essential member of the Forum, don’t agree with everything you post but you always put your argument across well and NEVER get personal with people who disagree with you. A real talent that, certainly one I have struggled with over the years.

Have a great Christmas mate.
    - that was particularly kind, thank you. I'm aware I over-articulate at times (okay, a lot) but ti's always re-assuring to know that it largely doesn't rub people up the wrong way.

Lastly, CCTV, didn't mean to leave you on hold. You had asked -

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Where are the shouts we are over achieving ? On here or elsewhere?

For me the results being better than the performances points to the quality of player in the squad being high, but the performance of the team being sub-par.
    Mainly social media, some chats with Reds I know and one or two pundits - Carragher in particular has repeatedly said that we don't look "quite there yet" but that the results of course say different. I don't think it is said by anyone as a slight or dig at our level, merely a comparison against the insanely high levels we have had at times under Klopp.

I'm inclined to agree with your latter suggestion - that the team performances (at times) haven't aligned with the fullness of the individual quality we have within the squad. I'm hoping that as we enter February, we will find another gear (as Klopp sides often do) and see the overall performances improve further. It certainly "feels like" we have had a lot of distinctly average first-halves of matches, only to go on and have an excellent second half.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay