Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Newcastle

Your team v Newcastle

With this match taking place on Monday the 1st of January and the AFCON and Asian Cup not starting until the 12th/13th of January or so, I would think that Endo and Salah will still be available.

A welcome bit of breathing space to prepare for this game after a busy period. We may still top the Table if West Ham can nick something against Arsenal, but even if they don't we would be just a solitary point off top after half a season played, which is a great position to be in. Reds will hope that the threat of an improving Nottingham Forest side will fuel an Evertonian fire in their match against Man City due to relegation fears, but realistically all we can do is focus on ourselves.

Having lost 4 of their last 5 League matches, Eddie Howe will be feeling the heat. They may prove a dangerous animal on the day, but if we were to score first and crank up the Anfield noise we should be capable of winning, though I expect a tense affair.

.......................Alisson

Trent......Konate....Van Dijk....Gomez

........................Endo

...........Szoboszlai.....Jones

....Salah..........Gakpo.......Núñez

The temptation to play Jota is huge, but I am more inclined to give him the last 25-30 minutes.

Out next LEAGUE game after this will, I believe, be Bournemouth on the 21st or so, by which time Mac Allister may be on the bench and Robertson very close to a return. We'll have Cup games which will be a rotation challenge but our League position, topping our Europa group and our arrival into the League Cup semi-final suggest we are doing quite well in that department.

Up the Reds!
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    With this match taking place on Monday the 1st of January and the AFCON and Asian Cup not starting until the 12th/13th of January or so, I would think that Endo and Salah will still be available.

A welcome bit of breathing space to prepare for this game after a busy period. We may still top the Table if West Ham can nick something against Arsenal, but even if they don't we would be just a solitary point off top after half a season played, which is a great position to be in. Reds will hope that the threat of an improving Nottingham Forest side will fuel an Evertonian fire in their match against Man City due to relegation fears, but realistically all we can do is focus on ourselves.

Having lost 4 of their last 5 League matches, Eddie Howe will be feeling the heat. They may prove a dangerous animal on the day, but if we were to score first and crank up the Anfield noise we should be capable of winning, though I expect a tense affair.

.......................Alisson

Trent......Konate....Van Dijk....Gomez

........................Endo

...........Szoboszlai.....Jones

....Salah..........Gakpo.......Núñez

The temptation to play Jota is huge, but I am more inclined to give him the last 25-30 minutes.

Out next LEAGUE game after this will, I believe, be Bournemouth on the 21st or so, by which time Mac Allister may be on the bench and Robertson very close to a return. We'll have Cup games which will be a rotation challenge but our League position, topping our Europa group and our arrival into the League Cup semi-final suggest we are doing quite well in that department.

Up the Reds!
    This team but maybe play same 11 some continuity. Grav, Jones, Elliot always q fame here and there rotational think a run of games is good for a player. So I would be tmeted to start Grav again. But okay with the 11 posted.

Quote Originally Posted by HLOGI View Post
    This team but maybe play same 11 some continuity. Grav, Jones, Elliot always q fame here and there rotational think a run of games is good for a player. So I would be tmeted to start Grav again. But okay with the 11 posted.
    Yeah I can definitely see the logic in that.

For me, on current form, Gravenberch is our most inconsistent of our available midfielders. That can change of course - but for now I am inclined to use him in games where we can take calculated risks about not being at absolute full strength. Of the four halves of football that we'll have against Fulham in the League Cup semi-final I would probably give him at least two halves so as to keep him in the fold, whilst also giving others a chance to not be playing as we save them for the League campaign or the Cup Final.

I'd probably use him for 65 or so minutes against Arsenal in the FA Cup too, as it is a "free hit" of a Tournament to me this season given how well the League, League Cup and Europa are going. I think seriously attempting to go for all four could lead to broken hearts.

What's the story with Mac Allister? I thought his injury was just a cut

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    What's the story with Mac Allister? I thought his injury was just a cut
    It was a cut to the knee - and deep, near the bone.

If you sit and elongate your leg and then bend it and then back to straight again, you can imagine how easily a tightly stitched wound could pop open. They can also get infected.

They've probably had to do the take-longer-to-be-absolutely-sure route with his injury.

Alexis Mac Allister:
    Reason
    Knee Injury
    Further Detail
    Dec 19: 'He doesn't have pain anymore, which is a good thing. It was worse than we first thought, but he is progressing well. In the New Year, that is possible.'
    Potential Return
    01/01/2024
    Condition
    Currently Being Assessed
    Status
    Ruled Out

That’s the team Sid but Jurgen HAS to play Nunez at LFWD & Gakpo at No9

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    That’s the team Sid but Jurgen HAS to play Nunez at LFWD & Gakpo at No9
    Jota on the bench ?

Jota and MacAllister look like coming back in as we lose Salah and Endo.
    We rarely have full or near full squad to select from, always got half a dozen on the sidelines

If we really are serious about winning the league a defender and DM in January..pay out what is required.. I don't want Thiago protected because the chances of him actually being fit for more than a week is less than zero.
    I love Klopp,but sometimes his favouritism of his players is a bit much.Thiago should be let go in January.
    I know this is a team selection for Newcastle. I just thinking ahead to where we lose Salah and Endo in the second half of January for a month.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century