Page 82 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3272757677787980818283848586878889 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Yep, he’ll be perfect for FSG if he’s used to working under a tight budget.

Liverpool and Feyenoord have agreed a compensation package that will allow Arne Slot to become Jurgen Klopp’s successor at Anfield.

The 45-year-old Dutchman is now free to join Liverpool in the summer after the conclusion to Feyenoord’s Eredivisie campaign.

The Athletic reported earlier this week that Liverpool had an opening offer of €9million (£7.7m, $9.6m) rejected by Feyenoord but the two parties have now reached an agreement.

I cannot believe this is the best they can come up with, to manage one of the 5 biggest clubs in world football

What a disappointment 😞
    I hope the players feel better about it than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I cannot believe this is the best they can come up with, to manage one of the 5 biggest clubs in world football
    Give the guy a chance

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    He may surprise plenty to be fair.

Have watched a couple of interviews of him in recent days and he has a bit of charisma about him. His Feyenoord side play a 4-3-3 set-up oriented around pressing so we don't have to drastically change the way our side (and subsequent youth sides who play like the senior team) too much in terms of DNA. He has youth on his side at 45 (not much older than Alonso really) and will be a new voice for players who seem to not be fighting for Jürgen in the same way (no reflection on Klopp, human nature to get "comfortable" and they may need something different) whilst he tries to imprint what he wants on us.

Also has managed a side that had a lesser budget than it's main League rival and won anyway, which is always a desirable box-tick for us given some of the money-tossing that happens in the Premier League.

See what happens. I quite liked the idea of going in a bit of a "different" direction and that was part of the appeal of Alonso and Amorim, but here we are.

"Evolution not revolution" as they say. Klopp looks exhausted and hopefully Slot's got the hunger and drive to get the next chapter off to a decent start.

Key thing I'll be looking out for (can't pretend to be an expert on Feyenoord!) will be rotation and any medical staff. If we are going to (potentially) become a press Machine again then we need to find ways to not burn players out and I hope he is of the ilk of making the absolute most of the 5-subs rule and (fingers crossed) encourages us to "rest on the ball" here and there as well.

Lastly, hope we can become very slightly more street-wise. So often it feels like we are ALWAYS trying to get another goal when we have a lead when there are some occasions where I just think "corner flag, faff about, frustrate" - I'm not talking about becoming Atletico Madrid here, but I hope we can be very slightly less "clean" when the moment calls for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Give the guy a chance
    It’s all very well saying that but come on, he’s got very little to recommend him to such a huge job.

There has yet to be one successful Dutch manager in English football and I can’t see that changing here.

He could be Pep 2 but on the other hand he could just as easily be a Dutch Owl

Well, you never know he might win the lot

As long as he doesn't bring on Gomez and Tsimikas when we're chasing goals, then we'll have an improvement 🤣🤣

Hopefully he’ll get us back to being a top class pressing & counter pressing g side that test sides in ever way imaginable as we’ve not been that for quite a while now and it’s a big part of why we’re knackered from chasing games & have suffered recent losses through conceding the first goal

I think we lost the thread of how & why we won the games top prizes in 2020 after winning the title