Page 75 of 88 FirstFirst ... 256568697071727374757677787980818285 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Really?? even with 45 games unbeaten
    - all comps.... destroying Bayern to win the Bundesliga with multiple games to spare.? Same Bayern that knocked Arsenal out of the CL..?

The metronomic profile of a player who read the game like a book…?
    His history with so many amazing managers?
    If he hadn't played for Liverpool I personally doubt many would be so bothered. There was plenty of discord when he first got linked,he's had one season in top flight management and albeit a successful one but plenty of players have played under great managers and not made the grade. There's a huge sentimental factor with Alonso being linked to Liverpool.
    Bayern have been off the boil this season,not trying to detract from what's a fantastic achievement but people are already down on a guy who's won a title and a cup in his first two seasons and already guaranteed champions League football for his team. Whoever comes in needs time and support and like I said earlier Edwards and the people he works with know more about things and the reasons to appoint people than any fans do. That's why fans aren't involved in these things.

Sorry but I don’t agree with almost all of that.

Bayern have been off the boil? So what Leverkusen have not and they have blown them and Dortmund out of the water.

If people can’t see the trajectory of Alonso - regardless of the fact that he played for us.

World cup winner - European Championship winner - European Cup winner 2 different clubs -Liverpool (insert club) Metronome - Real Metronome - Bayern metronome.

And then you have Arne Slot.

A world of difference tees. I get that you are putting am positive spin on it - but frankly I don’t see it

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Sorry but I don’t agree with almost all of that.

Bayern have been off the boil? So what Leverkusen have not and they have blown them and Dortmund out of the water.

If people can’t see the trajectory of Alonso - regardless of the fact that he played for us.

World cup winner - European Championship winner - European Cup winner 2 different clubs -Liverpool (insert club) Metronome - Real Metronome - Bayern metronome.

And then you have Arne Slot.

A world of difference tees. I get that you are putting am positive spin on it - but frankly I don’t see it
    Xavi has done more as a player, easily one of the greatest of all time,won la liga. Played under some of the best.
    Same as Zidane,won it all as player and manager,one of the greatest,played under the best.

Would you be happy with either of them? Most fans wouldn't have been thrilled at their appointment. Maybe now they would but when they were mentioned a couple of months ago it was a resounding no.

Slot obviously doesn't have that track record but as a manager he's done as well as he could have and apparently plays a similar style so that's probably why they're going for him.
    The fact it's the Eredivisie is what's putting people off but he's managed to get Feyenoord back from the wilderness and competing with PSV and Ajax.
    He's gaining a very good squad, people are missing that factor I
    think. In the past it's been a rebuild with tons needing spending.

Don't get me wrong I'm not thrilled myself but we have to give whoever it is a chance to see what they can do. I was actually pretty excited about Amorim.
    Last edited by teesred; 23rd April 2024 at 10:19 PM.

Pep - Zidane - Ancelotti

They all share something - Playing at the highest level doesn’t guarantee you will be a great manager - but it gives you an advantage on the finer details.

IMO - Alonso is a great example & supremely well placed to emulate - Hopefully Arne Slot is the next Big thing - but I hugely sceptical - sounds like a bullshit data driven candidate picked business people and by Edwards - who I do not trust

Again have to disagree tees.

Xavi was amazing BUT did it all inside one club that was the best team on the planet. with or without messi - with or without Iniesta - Busquets or Xavi. So many world class players. Don’t see him coming close to Alonso in management based on his footballing heritage - one league player. Xabi went across the continent winning the big prizes everywhere

Dunno what the problem is, forget Alonso, never mind 45 unbeaten, runaway winners of the Bundesliga and favourites to lift the Europa, Slot won the Dutch Cup this season.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Dunno what the problem is, forget Alonso, never mind 45 unbeaten, runaway winners of the Bundesliga and favourites to lift the Europa, Slot won the Dutch Cup this season.
    Well when you put it like that - yea it makes sense.

I will stand down.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Arteta hadnt done a thing before Arsenal,their fans were probably just as sceptical. I'd say they're fairly happy with how it's going right now.

Not saying Slot or whoever it's going to be will be a success but having fans doubt him from the off obviously isn't going to help.

In the last day ten years or so when has a manager walked into a club as big as LFC and had a squad as good?
    Probably only Guardiola. The rest have either gone into a team that's needed major work or had a poisonous squad like Utd.
    The job at LFC is primed for the right person and it's a big gamble for the club with whoever comes in.

Arteta had played in our league and coached in our league, learning from one of the best managers to grace the Premier League.

Plus, Arsenal were nowhere near the level we are as Klopp departs. It’s losing the position Klopp has dragged us to during his tenure.

Right now, I would be far happier with Lijnders, who has similar coaching experience to that of Arteta when he went to Arsenal, but no managerial experience, than pretty much everyone on our shortlist

Slot would really concern me tees.