Page 12 of 92 FirstFirst ... 256789101112131415161718192262 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    A couple of good points raised about Rafa. Could he get along with the owners? Maybe. Or it could be another case of I wanted a table and they brought me a lamp.

I'm not sure I agree with the shelf life remark. Ferguson, Ancelotti, Wenger and many others have gone on for a long, long time and been very successful. No reason to think Rafa couldn't do the same.

If it's a choice between Rafa and a half a season wonder in Alonso, I know who I'm picking.
    Ancellotti has had pretty much unlimited backing aside from Everton. Wenger is proof of the shelflife remark in my opinion. He steadily declined after 2006 and never came near a title again. He did amazing things but he did go on the slide.
    Mourinho is one who also looks past his prime in terms of being at the top table of managers right now.
    Ferguson was just different gravy altogether wether we like to admit or deny it.

I wouldn't have Rafa back personally. He plays a completely different way.

Just putting it out there.

Would love Xabi , that would be my first choice.

De Zerbi…….seems a likeable chap but …

Rafa…. Loved him almost/ equal to my love for Jurgen…… both gave (are giving) all they could for us.

Rafa’s family still on the Wirral.
    I am still in shock about Jurgen…….but Xabi or Rafa would be beautiful. Either would be given 100% backing ,and if it didn’t work ….no regrets .

No one has ever had to accumulate so many points to win a league before, people say he only won one league title but he’s been up against out and out cheats since he arrived. Ninety odd points twice without winning the league, never been known.

Quote Originally Posted by huyrob View Post
    De Zerbi…….seems a likeable chap but …
    Tricky to judge - his years prior to Shakhtar yielded a win percentage of 35% or less in 4-of-5 seasons, but win percentage can be a difficult thing to judge someone on depending on the quality of squad inherited, length of time at at job, financial backing, relevant strength/weakness in respective League - and so on.

It could be argued to some extent that both De Zerbi and Alonso are the equivalent of the "sign Rodgers from Swansea" appointment - which could ring alarm bells for some Reds who want a sure thing.

But the list of managers that Xabi has had to learn from (acquired knowledge) and what he achieved as a player (capacity to command respect) and his temperament (cool, calm, never involved in indecorous scandals) all seem very promising. Combine that with the fact that most fans already love him and looking at what his Leverkusen side are doing (so far) definitely makes you wonder.

On a more general note, I think anyone who wants to be Liverpool manager would be doing so at a wonderful time. Domestically, a number of sides are in some form of transition (Chelsea, Man United, Tottenham) and there appears a possibility that the more questionable spending is going to come under increasing scrutiny - Newcastle certainly appear to be spending "carefully" all of a sudden and who knows what might happen to Man City.

You add this to the weaker international stage (Bayern and Dortmund not QUITE as strong as they were I feel, irrespective of how often Bayern win the League) while Italian football can't quite reach the levels it wants and Barcelona have their struggles - then you think of how good our squad is.......I just think any Manager worth their salt should really be able to come into the wonderful situation that will have been left behind by Jürgen and should be capable of Champion's League qualification and Champion's League quarter-finals, which is a decent level to build upon even if they aren't finishing 1st/2nd right away.

Particularly if we maintain our way of recruiting players - seriously, when you look at this squad and the talent that is coming through, there are very few real "needs" in the squad - so with the appropriate level of invested effort of nailing 1-3 transfers to finish this squad off rather than any needless, wholesale changes....we should find ourselves in a good spot.

It’s incredibly difficult, but Alonso would be my preferred choice, but I very much doubt it would be plain sailing and business as usual. We would all need to be prepared for a couple of mediocre seasons while he gets to grips with the new challenge. That’s not something we see very often in the world of football nowadays.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    It’s incredibly difficult, but Alonso would be my preferred choice, but I very much doubt it would be plain sailing and business as usual. We would all need to be prepared for a couple of mediocre seasons while he gets to grips with the new challenge. That’s not something we see very often in the world of football nowadays.
    Just curiosity, so don't feel you have to go too deep into an answer or anything - you say we might have to be prepared for a couple of mediocre seasons - what would "mediocre" look like to you under Alonso? Finishing 5th or lower? A season with no trophies? Or maybe the bar is higher and 3rd would be a mediocre season?

Klopp's first three finishes, if I recall correctly, were 8th, 4th, 4th - it too a little time for us to really get into full-swing, but I was really impressed with getting Champion's League football again quite quickly, especially considering the squad he inherited. It wasn't "awful" but it certainly wasn't a particularly good blend of players, so it took time to put the pieces into the right spots and certainly the acquisitions of Mane and Salah (neither of whom were Klopp's first choice) were absolutely excellent, with Klopp getting the very best out of them incredibly quickly.

I’m thinking we might finish outside the top 4 for a couple of seasons. I could be completely wrong obviously…. the squad is strong with plenty of room for development. The style of play could be improved i.e. we play a bit safer, especially when we’re ahead.

I just support the long term “project” theory, and strongly believe that patience is key. Unfortunately, a few bad results and the fan base goes into meltdown.

He didn't need "several mediocre seasons" to get to grips with the job at Leverkusen, and if anything he hit the ground running and running hard.

Also, he wouldn't be joining a Liverpool in the same situation that it was when Klopp joined (needing a total overhaul and rebuild).

He would be joining a team that's already been rebuilt essentially from the ground up and which wasn't expected to challenge for anythin more than top 4 this season, but are currently ahead of schedule challenging not just for the title but for 4 titles.

You're literally talking about someone who joined the Bundesliga - a league that's typically dominated by one team, even in their "Worst" seasons - and who's not only taken the challenge to them, but it essentialy beating them at their own game.

Why you think he's going to struggle if he were to take charge here or need several seasons to get come to grips with the situation is genuinely beyond me, given everything he's shown so far at this current job.
    Granted the Bundesliga is no Premier League, and admittedly he'd probably be expected to want to tinker with the squad a little to build it in his own image (particularly with some expected departures), , but of all the available or potential managers out there, he's the one who seems to tick all the boxes for someone who would need the least in terms or time and resources to keep us challenging or winning.

I don't get your pessimism about hiring him and all this talk about finishing outside the top 4 for a couple of seasons; I really don't.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

You’re right mate, and I did point out the positives. I think I’m maybe trying to play things down a bit. Managing Liverpool is, in my opinion, one of the hardest jobs in football. I really haven’t got a clue, but we’re all having this debate over who will succeed Klopp because nothing is a given. Some have doubts about Alonso… why?

I’m obviously hoping that whoever takes over will be an instant success, but I’ve been around for too long to not have any doubts.

You’re right mate, and I did point out the positives. I think I’m maybe trying to play things down a bit. Managing Liverpool is, in my opinion, one of the hardest jobs in football. I really haven’t got a clue, but we’re all having this debate over who will succeed Klopp because nothing is a given. Some have doubts about Alonso… why?

I’m obviously hoping that whoever takes over will be an instant success, but I’ve been around for too long to not have any doubts.
    The doubts around Alonso are simply due to inexperience. He has had one half of a season where his team has played well. It's impressive what he is doing right now but I'd like to see him in a couple of seasons. If he's still going strong then get him in. For comparison, if Stevie G was still at Rangers he'd be the one walking into the job. His career has nose dived since then so I doubt many would think he's the right choice.

Whoever we get will be a risk. If it's Alonso then that's ok but it's a higher risk option that say Rafa.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.