Page 14 of 92 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314151617181920212464 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    De Zerbi hasn’t won a single thing of note in his management career. A definite no from me.

And before anyone harps back to Bob or Kenny, that was a totally different time with a totally different LFC setup behind the scenes.
    Considering the teams he's managed would you expect him to have won something? He's been on a limited budget at relatively small clubs.
    Alonso hasn't won anything but he seems to be a lot of peoples choice.

Alonso for me, closely followed by De Zerbi.

Cannot think of anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Considering the teams he's managed would you expect him to have won something? He's been on a limited budget at relatively small clubs.
    Aberdeen, Mainz, Valencia. Great managers get it done.

I suspect people are parrotting Alonso's name because it's what they see elsewhere. I wouldn't have either Alonso or De Zerbi at this point in time. Rafa all the way.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

No chance Rafa will get the Job.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    No chance Rafa will get the Job.
    He's the best candidate. Why do you think he wouldn't get it?
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    De Zerbi for me

Continuity in & further development of style of play

Great at improving players of all ages possibly better in that respect than Jurgen

Premier League proven reaching Europa League qualification with that group of players & what he gets out of them was a definite Klopp effect achievement His players run through brick walls for him

Gets huge buy in & commitment from players because of his passion & intensity

Has performed very well with hugely lesser resources than we have against all Premier League clubs including ourselves & other top sides out Klopp Liverpooling us a couple of times

Great at bringing in young players brought in under the radar for lesser fees & we’ll adept at using his squad & getting a performance whoever he has to put out

Premier League style of play - City ditched tappy crappy as they played it in 19-20 because we handed them their arse & that style is simply a non starter in the Prem now to many sides throughout the league have very good or decent pressing games & to be successful you need a mixture of an absolutely top class pressing & counter pressing game & a decent passing game with the ability to mix it up, all things De Zerbi is well practiced in

I’m not a romantic when it comes to such things & most things, he’s the best fit for me
    BHA - Last 3 seasons:

P 21 W8 32 Points +5gd
    P 21 W10 35 Points +11gd
    P 21 W6 29 Points +0 gd

At this point of the season, De Zerbi is 3 Points better off than Potter after 21 games.
    These points tallies don't scream top level football.

Alonso @ Bayer leverkusen
    P19 W15 49 Points +36 gd
    P34 W 14 50 Points +8 gd

He's leading Bayern at the top of the BL. With stats that seem more of our level.

Buckets of honours at the top level of club and international football, carries more gravitas today than anyone else I've seen mentioned.

Alonso was appointed manager of*Segunda División B*club*Real Sociedad B*on 1 June 2019,[147]*and began the role on 9 July.[148]*On his debut on 24 August, he drew 1–1 at home to*Burgos CF.[149]

In Alonso's second season at*Sanse, the club won promotion to the*Segunda División, following a*play-off win*against*Algeciras*on 22 May 2021. The win signified Real Sociedad B's first season back in the Segunda División since*1961–62.[150]*That March, despite being heavily linked to the soon-to-be vacant manager role at*Borussia Mönchengladbach,[151]*Alonso signed a one-year extension with the club.[152]

In his first game in the second tier on 14 August 2021, Alonso won 1–0 at home to*Leganés*through a*Jon Karrikaburu*goal.[153]*On 25 May 2022, Real Sociedad announced that Alonso would leave*Sanse*at the end of*the season, with the side already relegated from the second level.[154]

Bayer Leverkusenedit

On 5 October 2022, Alonso was appointed as the new head coach of*Bayer Leverkusen*until June 2024. He replaced*Gerardo Seoane*with the team second from bottom after eight Bundesliga games.[155]*He debuted three days later with a 4–0 home win over*Schalke 04.[156]*He guided the team to the semi-finals of the*UEFA Europa League, being eliminated by his former Real Madrid manager*José Mourinho's*Roma*via a single first-leg goal.[157]

In May 2023, Alonso confirmed that he would remain for a second season, amidst interest from Tottenham Hotspur,[158]*and on 4 August he signed a new contract until 2026.[159][160]*In the*2023–24 UEFA Europa League group stage, the team won all six games, with 19 goals scored.[161]*Alonso set his team up in a*3–4–3 formation*with an emphasis on passing and counter-attack, while also only conceding five goals from open play in their first 11 Bundesliga fixtures.[162]*Of their first 13 games of the league season, Leverkusen went unbeaten and only Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich could draw with them.[163]

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    By that 'genius's standard, we're not likely to hire any replacement for Klopp since all the managers out there who've won something are either currently still employed at other clubs, and we'd have to pay a ridiculous fee to break them out of their contracts.

Either that or hire Mourinho.
    He's won stuff. And he's unemployed.
    (No, I'm not advocating that we hire him. Just making the point that the standard can't be "has he won anything?")
    Conte's also available, and he's won stuff too. Let's hire him, right?

At some point you're going to be taking a risk anyway. Even if you go the route of someone who's won something elsewhere in Europe, (like we did with Klopp), you're still taking a risk that they'll be able to adapt to the Premier league in quick and decent enough fashion. Doesn't always work out that way even with managers who've won stuff elsewhere (See : Cage Ten Hag at the Scum).

If luck will have it, by the time we go for Alonso (IF we go for him), he might have won the Bundesliga against the mighty Bayern, and that, along with the fact that he's played for and learned some of his managerial nous under the likes of Benitez, Ancelotti and Pep, makes him the top-running replacement choice for me.

And there's the additional drama storyline that we could meet him and his Leverkusen in the Europa League final if we both make it that far.
    What a story that would make - either way.

Klopp's story with us also started with a Europa League final (which we sadly lost).
    It would make for an amazing end to a chapter and a nice closing of the circle if that was the ending part of this chapter with him winning that one trophy that he hasn't won with us as his farewell......and against the guy who goes on to replace him.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Copied and pasted from Wikipedia ^^

Like Jose their football has past its sell by date. I feel we'll go for a young exciting style of player manager. If I was a betting man it will be between Alonso, Di Zerbi, Naglesmann or Amorin.

He hasn't been competitive for a long time. His last title in a top league was 20 years ago.
    I don't think it would work. He plays completely different football to the squad we have and what they're used to.
    I think he's more likely to rip it all up to start again, he took over a winning team at Inter and at Real had a plethora of top players and it was a disaster. Obviously Ronaldo got him the boot at Real but he didn't handle it well and there was only going to be one winner.