Page 15 of 92 FirstFirst ... 589101112131415161718192021222565 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Like Jose their football has past its sell by date. I feel we'll go for a young exciting style of player manager. If I was a betting man it will be between Alonso, Di Zerbi, Naglesmann or Amorin.
    We tried the young, exciting style of manager not so long ago. Good job Klopp came in and fixed that mess.

None of your list inspires any confidence. I'd prefer to see Alonso win a couple of league titles in Germany first. Then absolutely snap him up. It's just too early in his career for my liking.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    He hasn't been competitive for a long time. His last title in a top league was 20 years ago.
    I don't think it would work. He plays completely different football to the squad we have and what they're used to.
    I think he's more likely to rip it all up to start again, he took over a winning team at Inter and at Real had a plethora of top players and it was a disaster. Obviously Ronaldo got him the boot at Real but he didn't handle it well and there was only going to be one winner.
    Why don't you do this. Compare Rafa's achievements against those you are putting forward as potential managers. List them out with the year beside them and let's judge who is the best candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    Why don't you do this. Compare Rafa's achievements against those you are putting forward as potential managers. List them out with the year beside them and let's judge who is the best candidate.
    I'm going for Alonso first, and Emery as my back up choice.

Alonso is currently flying it and a huge playing career.

Emery has the best success in the last decade or so.

Alonso is currently on track for 98 points in his first full season, having taken over a squad flirting with relegation.

He’s like reverse Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    I'm going for Alonso first, and Emery as my back up choice.

Alonso is currently flying it and a huge playing career.

Emery has the best success in the last decade or so.
    If we wanted to win the Europa League then Emery would be a good choice. According to this place, Emery would also be past his sell by date, whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    BHA - Last 3 seasons:

P 21 W8 32 Points +5gd
    P 21 W10 35 Points +11gd
    P 21 W6 29 Points +0 gd

At this point of the season, De Zerbi is 3 Points better off than Potter after 21 games.
    These points tallies don't scream top level football.
    To be fair, Brighton are having to juggle European football with League football for the first time in their history (thanks to DeZerbi) so it is understandable that they will be inconsistent. Look at Newcastle.

I know a few BHA fans and they say the difference between Potter and DeZerbi is night and day.

I'd be happy enough to give Xabi a crack at it, I think we have good enough players to allow the transition to be smoother.

However, I have to agree with 19 here in terms of continuation of style of play DeZerbi will be pretty close to what we do now.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Alonso is currently on track for 98 points in his first full season, having taken over a squad flirting with relegation.

He’s like reverse Rooney
    They finished on 64 points the season before he was hired. Then he took over when they were flirting with relegation in October 2022. To finish on 50 points.

They're not a shite club by any means, I've seen them in the CL but leading Bayern is unique and not something they've done lately.

Best bit from what I've seen, (podcasts and media world) is that Alonso was quite forceful over the recent turnover of players.

Identified players who would need to move on and who'd come in, a bit unique and more English manager, than continental coach.

It's a brief stint but it's all looking good so far. As a fan, I'd love him here and succeeding of course.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    If we wanted to win the Europa League then Emery would be a good choice. According to this place, Emery would also be past his sell by date, whatever that means.
    He said, she said, whatever

Emery is a good candidate. He's won the Europa multiple times and is doing well at Villa. Has had a stint at psg & arsenal largely uneventful in reality. Did better than poch at PSG iirc

I'd take Rafa cause he's ours. De Zerbi as a back and who knows maybe Carlo will be on the ticket if real go 2 years without a CL.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    To be fair, Brighton are having to juggle European football with League football for the first time in their history (thanks to DeZerbi) so it is understandable that they will be inconsistent. Look at Newcastle.

I know a few BHA fans and they say the difference between Potter and DeZerbi is night and day.

I'd be happy enough to give Xabi a crack at it, I think we have good enough players to allow the transition to be smoother.

However, I have to agree with 19 here in terms of continuation of style of play DeZerbi will be pretty close to what we do now.
    All reasonable points.

He's a good young manager, he hasn't handled anything like LFC though. That's a red flag for me.

Alonso is different level in terms of high pressure and top level experience. LFC, Real, Bayern (less so) and Spain WC winner.
    He's only started as a manager but he's flying it presently.

I'd say Emery has a taste of being under pressure and delivering titles as a manager.

My picks
    Carlo (if he's free)
    Alonso
    Emery
    Rafa
    De Zerbi

She said….. I know what it’s like to be dead….