Page 16 of 92 FirstFirst ... 6910111213141516171819202122232666 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    De Zerbi hasn’t won a single thing of note in his management career. A definite no from me.

And before anyone harps back to Bob or Kenny, that was a totally different time with a totally different LFC setup behind the scenes.
    Exactly my point, De Zerbi already runs a very successful set up almost identical to the one Jurgen employs for us

I know he's currently with Uruguay, but if Alonso was not available/ready, then a couple of years with Biesla at the helm would be an interesting ride!

The Bundesliga is NOT the Prem, you can play a slower paced game & still try and play a more expansive possession game of the type City had to ditch post 19-20 because the Prem is much faster & practically all sides employ pressing & counter pressing & even lower placed sides are very good at setting up to defend to press & nick it in areas they can quickly counter from

Entertaining any candidate coming with a plan that doesn’t involve a high level pressing & counter pressing game & thinks they can compete in the Premier League with a slower paced pass teams to death possession game is an categoric no from me, look how that misguided belief has ended up with the filthy & Trn Hag & consider CITY had to ditch that style of play over 3 seasons ago for the reasons I have mentioned

People need to think practically about the best continuity/evolution candidate of what we already do incredibly well, any candidate with any ideas other than that is a resounding no from me, there is no need whatsoever to try & reinvent the wheel with this squad of players, refinement, further development & fine tuning & building of understandings is what is needed Nothing else

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    To be fair, Brighton are having to juggle European football with League football for the first time in their history (thanks to DeZerbi) so it is understandable that they will be inconsistent. Look at Newcastle.

I know a few BHA fans and they say the difference between Potter and DeZerbi is night and day.

I'd be happy enough to give Xabi a crack at it, I think we have good enough players to allow the transition to be smoother.

However, I have to agree with 19 here in terms of continuation of style of play DeZerbi will be pretty close to what we do now.
    Thank you continuity & further development of what already exists & is fast developing is what is needed

“if it ain’t broken, don’t fucking fix it” stick to the simple principals

But it will be broken after the summer because Klopp brings so much that goes way beyond the tactics. I fear this will become evident soon after he has gone.

It will take much more than simply following Klopp’s football philosophy. Does De Zerbi have the personality to get fans united behind him? The players running through bricks walls? Possible but I don’t know. He would need to have oodles of Charisma to follow Klopp style and get similar results.

Alonso imo will simply go for the highest quality game. A template that Klopp has been trying to implement more of himself. Alonso also would get the patience required.

But it’s likely the club go for someone else entirely

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    People need to think practically about the best continuity/evolution candidate of what we already do incredibly well, any candidate with any ideas other than that is a resounding no from me, there is no need whatsoever to try & reinvent the wheel with this squad of players, refinement, further development & fine tuning & building of understandings is what is needed Nothing else
    While I agree with many of your points, the manager you want doesn’t exist. You’re looking for Klopp 2.0 and there isn’t one. It’s certainly not De Zerbi. Our next manager will not play exactly the same style. People need to wake up to that.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    Why don't you do this. Compare Rafa's achievements against those you are putting forward as potential managers. List them out with the year beside them and let's judge who is the best candidate.
    I'm not putting anybody forward.
    What was Rafa's last achievement? It was a few years ago now.
    There's a reason none of the big clubs go near him now. That's not taking anything away from his achievements either, If he's still as good as you think why isn't he at a club that are challenging or en route to doing so?
    The premier league has moved on massively from the Rafa or Mourinho play. Klopp and Pep are partly responsible for that if not completely responsible.
    Last edited by teesred; 29th January 2024 at 11:18 PM.