Page 18 of 93 FirstFirst ... 81112131415161718192021222324252868 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by BOBPAISLEYFAN View Post
    When Rafa was here he was just what we needed at that time, and tbf I was one of biggest supporters.

However, although he ticks lots of boxes, I think that his style of management is too far away from Klopps and as such will now be seen by the majority as a retrograde step.

Lets not forget when he was our manager I think he was a very divisive figure amongst our fan base and within the football fraternity. So I am not very confident that his personality, management style and his well known lack of man management.. will have a positive impact on our current squad or our fan base, so for me that particular ship has sailed.

Time for a new broom methinks…. sorry to repeat myself, but interesting times ahead thats for sure 🤞😁🤔
    Just to be clear, I don’t expect Rafa to get the job. He would be my choice, that’s all. The alternatives being put forward have never won a thing in their life and people think they’re just going to turn up at LFC and be Klopp 2.0.

If Alonso won the German league a couple of times I’d have confidence he could be that manager. At this point, he’s just a rookie manager having a very good run. Fingers crossed he is the real deal because I’m struggling to think of any others who fit the bill.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

It's weird seeing some on here (or 'someONE here) pining so hard for Rafa's resturn given the fact his glory days are almost 2 decades in the past now.

After he left us he had further opportunities at legit big clubs to replicate his success both with us and at Valencia before - from the likes of Chelsea here, to Real with La Liga, and in Serie A, and in none of those places did he come close to recreating his successful team and era that he had with us.
    Which isn't to say it was entirely his fault or his lack of capability - some of those places were just hiring him as a placeholder with no real intention of backing him in a real "project".

But the throughline in all of them was that his best days had probably passed him by. Or maybe the game has changed way past his best abilities to adapt to it.

Either way, hiring him now on the basis of those past glories in an attempt torecreate that 2005-2007-ish Liverpool would be as inadvisable as bringing back King Kenny was and hoping to recreate the golden 80's Liverpool era.

I'll always love Rafa for what he brought to our club and at the time he brought it, and especially more so for the solidarity he was able to foster as we went through the awful Gillette and WhatsHisStupidFace era.
    And he'll always hold a special place at this club and in this club history and no one can ever take that away from him.

But that time is gone, and we need to look to the future with someone who can take us forward in the way that Klopp did - looking forward and not backwards.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Just a reminder that when Klopp joined us he had only one the Bundesliga once (although had been to the CL final and lost), and likewise when Rafa joined us he had one La Liga only once.

So if Xabi joined us having only won the Bundesliga once (assuming he does go on to win it), he'll be no different than our last two most successful managers when they first joined us.

It'd be great if we could stop pretending like someone can only join us to manage the team only when they've had oodles and decades of achievements and titles won behind them.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    But it will be broken after the summer because Klopp brings so much that goes way beyond the tactics. I fear this will become evident soon after he has gone.
    Exactly. We’re not just losing Klopp… we’re losing the entire back room staff. Any new manager will have his own philosophy. Some players will love it, others not so much. It’s a seismic change.for the entire club.

Appointing Klopp is FSG’s biggest achievement since taking over the club. Somehow they need to get it right again. I don’t envy them.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    Exactly. We’re not just losing Klopp… we’re losing the entire back room staff. Any new manager will have his own philosophy. Some players will love it, others not so much. It’s a seismic change.for the entire club.
    Exactly why I think we need a manager who offers as much continuity as possible

I look at it this way We’re top of the league right now this is an entirely new midfield for the most part & there’s more to come How we operate it proven over several seasons City changed to be more like us, it would be absolutely stupid to bring someone in that doesn’t offer continuity of what wins this league & European trophies

Football changes sure, but in a league of the Prem’s pace & intensity since the evolution of the press & counter press game to the levels we see now, I don’t see a side trying to be overly tappy crappy winning it Ajax can do that in the Dutch league hasn’t worked here Bayern can do that in the Bundesliga Thiago never ever cut it here he could never be as effective or effective at all in the Premfir the most part for these reasons Mac Allister’s already been miles more effective

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    De Zerbi’s been a revelation at a club with very limited resources & the incredible transformation & evolution he made to Potter’s highly acclaimed team based on their club’s resources
    I agree with your assessment of De Zerbi 19. He would appear to be the most tactically astute and suited to us out of all names mentioned. The advantage he has over Alonso is that he has shown he can cut it in the Premier League. Even Pep with all his privileges needed an adjustment period to it.
    The German league is far easier to be successful in but then that's where we got Klopp from!
    I always prefer to have a manager who has won trophies before but its not that straightforward. De Zerbi is a far better fit than Conte for example. I like the idea of Alonso and the stats show him to be a good candidate but I've not seen that much of his Leverkusen team play. I think Alonso would need more time to settle but he would be given it. I would be happy with one of these two being hired. Suggestions of Rafa are reminiscent of the return of King Kenny. If we were in a bit of a rut and the team needed galvanising then yes. Not for this team though.

It won't be easy to find the right man. Ignore the moronic pundits and their cliched sound bite nonsense. Blah blah "This squad is made for any manager to walk into".. Is anyone actually buying that crap? No other manager is getting the same tune or commitment out of our squad that Jurgen is. No chance no way.

Klopp is a nightmare act to follow. Paisley was Shankly's second in command for 15 years...already in situ and was hugely reluctant.. Making it clear that he felt under qualified for the posting. Former Liverpool chief executive Peter Robinson even admitted that “the chairman, directors and I had to gang up on him,” in order for him to assume the position. That was with everything in place.

Think of it...Imagine Shankly stands down and the entire bootroom follow him out the door.

This is the grim scenario we face:

Now - I hope to god I am wrong.. but something just doesn't feel right. Something has happened since the owners decided to sell up then changed tack and went for diluting their interest to aquire extra funds...

Knowing the effect Klopp's departure will have on the players and fans... It will take some massive cajones to agree to this job.

WHO IS UP FOR IT???
    Last edited by Steveo; 30th January 2024 at 12:17 PM.

Doubt any potential manager will walk in and think it's going to be a cakewalk. He'll have to gain their trust, respect etc.
    They'll know what's expected but also know that they won't be able to mirror Klopp in pretty much any way because he's so unique.

It's most likely going to be a turbulent transition as we face a similar scenario to when Ferguson left Utd - Impossible man to follow or emulate.
    A big difference though is the squad Ferguson left was not great, lots wonder how the hell he managed to go pit on a title win with it. Klopp is leaving a good squad with some real quality coming through.

We just have to trust whoever gets the job and give them the time and patience required.
    They each have their own ideas and philosophy and will want to make the team their own, might not work but it might be amazing also.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    To be fair, players and managers alike tend to go running when Real or Barca flash their knickers.
    19x does make a fair point though mate. If Alonso gets the job and does well, we’ll likely be in this position again in two years time.

I wonder if FSG might consider Gerrard in the mistaken belief, that the supporters would be unanimously behind the appointment. I can’t believe how badly he’s navigated life as a manager.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

This must be the least inspiring list of potential LFC managers ever.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.