Page 19 of 93 FirstFirst ... 91213141516171819202122232425262969 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    19x does make a fair point though mate. If Alonso gets the job and does well, we’ll likely be in this position again in two years time.

I wonder if FSG might consider Gerrard in the mistaken belief, that the supporters would be unanimously behind the appointment. I can’t believe how badly he’s navigated life as a manager.
    De Zerbi would be no different? Doubt any manager would. Those two clubs will always be the top of the mountain for pretty much any manager or player.

I wish Gerrard had stayed at Rangers. I thought at the time it was too early for him to take that Villa job. His stock would be high if he'd stayed and taken Rangers to more glory.
    At this moment I doubt many LFC fans would want him to get the job but saying that if FSG wanted him they wouldn't care what the fans thought/think and to be truthful it's probably right that they don't. Fans are emotional and make rash judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    This must be the least inspiring list of potential LFC managers ever.
    A sign if what's actually available/attainable.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    A sign if what's actually available/attainable.
    It’s a long way to the end of the season. Plenty of managers will come and go between now and then.

I live in hope.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    De Zerbi would be no different? Doubt any manager would. Those two clubs will always be the top of the mountain for pretty much any manager or player.

I wish Gerrard had stayed at Rangers. I thought at the time it was too early for him to take that Villa job. His stock would be high if he'd stayed and taken Rangers to more glory.
    At this moment I doubt many LFC fans would want him to get the job but saying that if FSG wanted him they wouldn't care what the fans thought/think and to be truthful it's probably right that they don't. Fans are emotional and make rash judgement.
    I’m delighted Gerrard got exposed when he did for our sake. It would have been Souness all over again otherwise.

EDIT: having said that, FSG will likely sign him.
    Last edited by JockStrap; 30th January 2024 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    It won't be easy to find the right man. Ignore the moronic pundits and their cliched sound bite nonsense. Blah blah "This squad is made for any manager to walk into".. Is anyone actually buying that crap? No other manager is getting the same tune or commitment out of our squad that Jurgen is. No chance no way.
    There is hyperbole for sure and don't think it is made for "any" Manager at all.

But a GOOD manager who is a good fit for the squad at hand really should be able to get a tune out of this squad.

I think a lot of it comes down to how we assess the job. If the goal is to get someone to come in and immediately challenge for Premier League and Champion's League then we will fall short, as Klopp is pound-for-pound the best Manager around - so anything will be a downgrade.

But I don't think it's by any means impossible for us to get someone in who keep us in the Champion's League spots in their first season, add a couple of quality players that suit the tweaks they will want to make (wholesale chnage would be silly) and can play attacking football (be it quick passes through the lines or a more possession-based game with overloads) given the quality of the tools at their disposal.

They'll also be assisted by the fact that a number of sides around us are transitioning a bit - the job that needs taken on (in terms of the tools we have to help) is much easier than what Benitez or Klopp inherited for example.

If we're keen on managers who haven't won anything, what about Klopp's old mate from Mainz and Dortmund, David Wagner? Good fit?

I imagine he’s the only manager that could call klopp for a chat if he needed advice. I like the guy, but don’t know enough about him.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Some very brilliant things come from the City that is Norwich..

Nobody on here talking about Postecoglu.
    Has won trophies. Seems like a good guy.
    Attacking football.
    Boyhood Liverpool fan.
    We could do worse, personally I would prefer Alonso.
    But I would prefer Postecoglu to Thomas Frank with his reactionary counter attack football. Or Gerrard. Or Zidane. Are these names even serious?

Postecoglu is interested in buying Gallagher at Chelsea... Hes average. looks great but actually does nothing of note.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century