Page 31 of 93 FirstFirst ... 212425262728293031323334353637384181 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    Is he still fast improving?
    Maybe "slowly but steadily" improving - he is currently the Manager of Pisa, who are mid-table in Serie B - will be interesting to see where he is in 5 years or so as I think he feels he has unfinished business due to an injury-plagued career.

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    His football is the very opposite of entertaining
    Sure isn't the football secondary these days anyway and it's all about clicks and the managers antics and one up manship?

I wasn't serious about conte as our manager. He would probably destroy everything by fighting with the players / owners / fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Maybe "slowly but steadily" improving - he is currently the Manager of Pisa, who are mid-table in Serie B - will be interesting to see where he is in 5 years or so as I think he feels he has unfinished business due to an injury-plagued career.
    Fair play to him. He probably could retire on the money we gave him. I'll keep an eye on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    When you have a manager that gets even close to the levels set by Jürgen Klopp - the list is always underwhelming.

It’s a measure of the man, his impact on this club and the chasm he will leave behind.
    Indeed, any appointment will be a step down on all the measurable metrics…. chasm is the word. 🫣😱

Quote Originally Posted by BOBPAISLEYFAN View Post
    Indeed, any appointment will be a step down on all the measurable metrics…. chasm is the word. 🫣😱
    Whilst I do largely agree with you and Steveo in regards to how irreplaceable Jürgen is, I think the task needs looked at through a different lens.

Klopp can't be replaced - he can't. But what we CAN do is find a Manager who can -

- Gain the respect of the players
    - Have a good personality
    - Have a winning mentality
    - Speak more than one language
    - Have principles of play or a "philosophy" they strive towards
    - Play winning football
    - Play attractive football

That essentially casts a wider net in the proverbial Ocean of recruitment.

When you have a manager that gets even close to the levels set by Jürgen Klopp - the list is always underwhelming.

It’s a measure of the man, his impact on this club and the chasm he will leave behind.
    Always looking at the dark side of life, mwa mwah mwa mwah

In reality the facilities are vastly improved, the squad is far better than many ever like to acknowledge, there are a few good options available for manager and Alonso looks like the best fit.

Bayer Leverkusen net spend last 3 years.
    23/24 Net spent €12.6 mill
    22/23 Net spent €5.6 mill
    21/22 Net spent €12.1 mill (the year before he joined)

Doesn't that suggest Alonso might just manage with a Klopp like budget.

Bayern net spending €108.35 over the same period.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/im-basque-with-a-big-german-influence-why-alonso-is-europes-most-in-demand-head-coach/view/news/430238

& I'm sure Bayern must be tres jealous of everything Leverkusen have won

& I'm sure Bayern must be tres jealous of everything Leverkusen have won
    In recent years the BL has been Bayern dominated, Dormund & Redbull Leipzig the talk thereafter.

Alonso is widely credited with the turnover on a low net spend with a club ranked outside the top German clubs in recent years.

Took them to the semis last year of the Europa League, second favourites for it presently behind LFC. In a 2 horse race with a 5 point lead over Bayern in the BL.

A legend of a player, never heard a bad word about him really, and he loves Liverpool.

There are articles about him being linked with unique madrid, but it seems Carlo has extended.

The comparisons between Klopp and Alonso prior to LFC are rather similar. Xabi with 2 year stints at his two clubs, and Klopp had 7 year stints at his two.

I mean what more has an Alonso got to do...

Article title - "Set to replace Klopp?
    'I'm Basque, with a big German influence' - Why Alonso is Europe's most in-demand head coach"

https://www.transfermarkt.com/im-basque-with-a-big-german-influence-why-alonso-is-europes-most-in-demand-head-coach/view/news/430238

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-watch/195516-jrgen-klopp-what-it-s-really-like-working-for-him

Defender Tim Hoogland, who Klopp signed for Mainz back in 2007, remembers the fundamental rule of working for Klopp.

“You have to run. That’s it,” he says. “I think this is one of the important things you have to know about him. The whole team has to run 120 km (74.5 miles) collectively every game. 120km minimum [laughs].”

It was the same target Klopp set his Borussia Dortmund side when he joined them in the summer of 2008.

“In his first year he said he wouldn't guarantee anything apart from that when we reached 120km per game then it would be much harder for us to lose,” recalls Owomoyela, who now works as a football analyst for Sky Germany.

Conte? come on that's as stupid as Jockstrap, and that's saying something.

Alonso will be the manager, end of.

I hope it goes well for him and fans don't get on his back after 1 season because he's not klopp and huge changes in the club, and maybe even some players. *salah*

We've overachived bigtime with these owners, the stats don't lie, another handicap for any new manager, not walking into a rich club with money to spend, nah they're walking into not much better money than everton ..... well maybe now that's not the case

Maybe Klopp knows things we don't and it's best for him to step down before it goes south!

Prem will be harder next season I expect chelsea utd to be up there. those chance of a title probably won't change, BUT utd could have a good summer etc. and not forgetting spurs.

Teams are getting better, and more money is being spent, you watch in the summer, it's going to be mad, and let's not forget newcastle.

I think best chance could be this season, for a while.
    Last edited by Kev0909; 15th February 2024 at 11:39 PM.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.