Page 33 of 93 FirstFirst ... 232627282930313233343536373839404383 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Yep - Xabi, being much more of a purist and one hell of player / does lead him onto the higher quality game. What I call the next level.

Short accurate weighted passes are the hardest skill to master - a hallmark of the great sides. The long pass is something to be used sparingly. Hard on players legs, and huge opportunity given to opposition to steal possession back and the chasing starts all over again. Klopp manages to get the players buy in - few if any others do. That’s his biggest tactical trick. Old fashioned graft.

Xabi would be smarter on player fitness and longevity - but seems to me - for that game to work in this extremely fast and increasingly quality league - you need the top top level players. They don’t come cheap. So you need money or extremely clever scouting and lots of luck

That said - Alonso is the man for us. The only choice as far as I see it. He would go a long way to minimising the damage that will be felt with the premature departure of our Jurgen.
    If he can get Granit Xhaxa to do it, he can turn anyone into a player!
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    No - I am all for Alonso but highlighting what I have been telling you for years.

We have never been the best side. Klopp has said this himself. We run more than anyone. Players run more than anyone - and I don’t mean measurable stats - distance - I mean hard yards. Players run through walls for Jurgen. That is unique. Alonso is going to have to bring a different brand of higher quality football if he is to replicate Klopp’s success imo, How does he do that on the budgets Klopp has had to work with?

So - while I am one of the biggest cheerleaders for Alonso’s appointment I reiterate that Klopp will leave a huge hole in the club when he departs. He built it almost all himself. Like Shankly - but with Shankly - boot room was left in place - this time it’s all change.

Huge boots to fill.
    Again, I think you do the players a bit of discredit with this kind of thing. Ok, they're not Modric/Iniesta/Zidane type level technicians but they're not a bunch of Carsley/Cattermole/Gibson grafters either.

While the hard running is obviously an important element to the way Klopp/We play it's underselling a lot of the other parts of the set-up. If it was a simple case of out running teams, everyone would be doing it!

What we will miss, as you mention in your 3rd para is Klopp's presence, aura and his set up. It will be all change.

For me, it's how much stock do we put on the players we have? Are they polished turds that will revert to type as soon as teh lustre has worn off, or are they genuinely good players that whilst having to adapt to a new way of playing still have ability to win games?
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Again, I think you do the players a bit of discredit with this kind of thing. Ok, they're not Modric/Iniesta/Zidane type level technicians but they're not a bunch of Carsley/Cattermole/Gibson grafters either.

While the hard running is obviously an important element to the way Klopp/We play it's underselling a lot of the other parts of the set-up. If it was a simple case of out running teams, everyone would be doing it!

What we will miss, as you mention in your 3rd para is Klopp's presence, aura and his set up. It will be all change.

For me, it's how much stock do we put on the players we have? Are they polished turds that will revert to type as soon as teh lustre has worn off, or are they genuinely good players that whilst having to adapt to a new way of playing still have ability to win games?
    Overly sensitive on our players behalf perhaps? I get it - I have the Scouse genes too remember - easy to take offence and over protective of our own... BUT you are actually highlighting PRECISELY what I am saying while still managing to take offence.

They are are NOT the same level of players as you have mentioned (bolded) - that IS the very point I am making. You are suggesting that anyone who is not Modric/Iniesta/Zidane level is a turd.

That's not fair at all.

Also I did not suggest that all Klopp brings is running. That is one aspect I mentioned in response to CC on a long standing topic. I have mentioned time after time on countless threads how he has transformed the entire club. I think you are looking for something to have a punch at there or you are simply ignoring what went before.
    Last edited by Steveo; 16th February 2024 at 02:22 PM.

Ange not ruling himself out of contention.

Strewth!!!

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    That's probably who we'll end up with if Xabi doesn't come.
    He wouldn't last two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by pob View Post
    That's probably who we'll end up with if Xabi doesn't come.
    He wouldn't last two seasons.
    Oh god no, no and thrice no!

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Bit strange wouldn't be happy if I was a spurs fan.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Bit strange wouldn't be happy if I was a spurs fan.
    Yeah that's what I thought too.

If not Alonso I think they would go for De Zerbi