Page 56 of 92 FirstFirst ... 64649505152535455565758596061626366 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Good piece on Amorim. Far from just a love in, he points out one or two possible issues despite his excellent record in Portugal.
    He hasn’t managed outside that country and his Champions League record of 12 wins and 13 defeats isn’t pulling up any trees.
    But … he doesn’t have a stellar squad to compete at elite level so take from that what you will.
    Fair and balanced as you often are.

I'll extend the point about his European record and do some comparison with Klopp's early managerial years. Full disclosure - I am not attempting to say that Amorim is guaranteed to become a master at European level. Some excellent, some don't and it's far too early to say for certain how Ruben will do.

Jürgen managed the following in the first 4 European campaigns of his managerial career

Klopp First 4 European Campaigns of his career.

2005/06 – Mainz lose to Sevilla in Europa League Play-off Round.
    2008/09 – Dortmund lost to Udinese in 1st-round of Europa League and thus ultimately fail to reach the group stage.
    2010/11 – Dortmund come 3rd in Europa League group, finishing behind PSG and Sevilla and thus exit the competition.
    2011/12 – Dortmund finish bottom of their Champion's League group that includes Arsenal, Marseille and Olympiakos to exit competition.

Nothing to write Home about - though we know how good he has become and it must be noted that in his 5th European campaign Dortmund reached the Champion's League Final, losing to Bayern Munich at the final hurdle. A bad result on the day, but a terrific, terrific run.

As for Amorim’s first 4 European Campaigns of his career.

2020/21 – Losing to LASK in the play-off round of Europa League and thus failing to reach the group stage.
    2021/22 – Lost in the last-16 of the Champion's League to Manchester City.
    2022/23 – Finished 3rd in their Champion's League group and thus dropped into the Europa League, losing to Juventus in the Quarter-Final.
    2023/24 – Reached the last-16 of the Europa League before exiting at the hands of Atalanta.

Having noted the "good" with Jürgen, it's only fair I do the same for Ruben -

2021/22 - defeat Dortmund out in the group stages.
    2022/23 - knock Arsenal out.

Amorim is a young Manager and thus experience at the elite level is limited, which is certainly an area that can mean apprehension and suitable caution. Given Sporting's relative level I think he has done alright and he certainly has time on his side to reach new heights with a better club - with all respect to Sporting Lisbon.

His record wouldn't put me off.

Whit Amorim has done in Portugal is impressive. Bit it's Portugal.

I think he's by far th' tap candidate fur FSG.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Think we'd need a left-footed centre half but I think we'd be ok playing 3-4-3 as a shape. But Sporting dont press high, so there would quite a bit to change tactically. And a big problem is (as mentioned in the article) is we have a load of box-to-box type midfielders. Szobo, Jones, Gravenberch and Elliot would all struggle in the system.

My issue with Amorim is the league he's coming from. It's a 3 horse race. So if you are one of the 3, you only need to improve a little bit to compete. It's the same as Holland or Scotland.
    To be fair he's won the title for the first time in almost twenty years,he's made them competitive again. Not sure how they were fairing prior but also his record at Braga is good
    In my opinion he's got more credentials for stepping up to a job like LFC than Alonso has. Not trying to be sour as I'd be happy enough with either.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    Whit Amorim has done in Portugal is impressive. Bit it's Portugal.

I think he's by far th' tap candidate fur FSG.
    Barca reportedly chasing him now.

Any other candidates out there other than de zerbi and amorim? Inzaghi?

Sky reporting that FSG are set to appoint Pedro Marques as technical director.
    He's worked at Benfica and Sporting as well as City. I wonder if that's an indication that Amorim has agreed to join too?

The Special one finally gets his dream job??

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Sky reporting that FSG are set to appoint Pedro Marques as technical director.
    He's worked at Benfica and Sporting as well as City. I wonder if that's an indication that Amorim has agreed to join too?
    Just came on to post precisely that, tees.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    The Special one finally gets his dream job??
    I wouldn't want him anywhere near the club, but I do like the wiley old character. The man is a winner.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

I'd find it humorous (temporarily) if we were all a million miles off and it ends up being Gary O'Neill or Edin Terzić or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I'd find it humorous (temporarily) if we were all a million miles off and it ends up being Gary O'Neill or Edin Terzić or something.
    Can you imagine the meltdown on here if we ended up Gary O'Neill!
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side