Page 6 of 84 FirstFirst 123456789101112131656 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    “Can you rule out becoming new Liverpool manager next season?”.

Xabi Alonso: “Honestly… I don't have a direct answer (laughs). I'm happy here right now, that's for sure, and only thinking about Leverkusen”.
    Was that after tonight's game , or his press conference yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    No - there is no replacing him, per se.

However someone was going to succeed him at one stage, as Shankly was succeeded, as Paisley was succeeded, as Fagan was succeeded, as Houllier was succeeded, as Rafa was succeeded.

The next Manager will inherit a squad with five excellent forwards, 4 of whom are under-30.

They'll inherit a really nice blend of midfielders.

They'll inherit great defensive options, including a wonderful local talent and arguably the World's best centre-back.

They'll inherit the World's best Goalkeeper.

They'll inherit some exciting youth talent.

Anyone will be a downgrade from Klopp, but equally that doesn't mean we are going to automatically fall off a cliff either - this isn't a squad where we pick out a side of N'gog, Jovanovic, Meireles, Shelvey, Spearing, Johnson, Poulsen, Konchesky etc

There isn't a Manager out there are perfect for us as Jürgen, but I don't think we are without options - what Manager WOULDN'T want to take on this squad full of talent, with a nice average age and good depth?

Absolutely, well put. I never thought we would have a manager that “ got us” as Rafa so clearly did. I was so wrong.
    Onwards and upwards. YNWA.

Alonso is the romantic candidate, a former Liverpool legend doing well in Germany.
    It would be worth the ride

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    No - there is no replacing him, per se.

However someone was going to succeed him at one stage, as Shankly was succeeded, as Paisley was succeeded, as Fagan was succeeded, as Houllier was succeeded, as Rafa was succeeded.

The next Manager will inherit a squad with five excellent forwards, 4 of whom are under-30.

They'll inherit a really nice blend of midfielders.

They'll inherit great defensive options, including a wonderful local talent and arguably the World's best centre-back.

They'll inherit the World's best Goalkeeper.

They'll inherit some exciting youth talent.

Anyone will be a downgrade from Klopp, but equally that doesn't mean we are going to automatically fall off a cliff either - this isn't a squad where we pick out a side of N'gog, Jovanovic, Meireles, Shelvey, Spearing, Johnson, Poulsen, Konchesky etc

There isn't a Manager out there are perfect for us as Jürgen, but I don't think we are without options - what Manager WOULDN'T want to take on this squad full of talent, with a nice average age and good depth?
    Great post…absolutely spot on…

I think it will be The Zebra or Alonso set up wise how he utilises his squad how he makes changes to try & win games how he seems an infectious character & so passionate who would invest every fibre of his being into it The Zebra is probably the best continuity fit in a lot of aspects

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I think it will be The Zebra or Alonso set up wise how he utilises his squad how he makes changes to try & win games how he seems an infectious character & so passionate who would invest every fibre of his being into it The Zebra is probably the best continuity fit in a lot of aspects
    Alonso edges it over de Zerbi imo as although he doesn't have EPL mgmt experience he is a loved ex player who gets us in every way. I wouldn't rule the club out interviewing ljinders either if alonso isn't already agreed. If ljinders and the rest had stayed on it would have just increased speculation from now until end May.

Yep Xabi gets more of that “time” Klopp asked for.

Ruben Amorim is also one name that I read about. I have not seen any of him at Sporting but he is currently top of the table. He won the Portuguese League Cup three years in a row.

"Amirom’s side are known for their attractive, flexible, attacking, possession based football, most often playing a 3-4-3 formation – and he has an excellent record of developing players in the past two seasons."

The only issue I have with Alonso is that he is only a manager in a top European league a little over a year and has not won anything or even been in a final or experience the run in of a league title challenge. We will see how he will handle it this season with Leverkusen.......

When Klopp came in he won the German league and domestic cup and played in a Champions League final......
    Jürgen was the real deal...............

Agree about Alonso lack of experience. It’s clear.

But As with Bob Paisley - you follow the master. You can then IF you truly follow the template and use the foundation be even more successful because you didn’t have to put all those pillars into place.

- I was just comparing his (Alonso) credentials at this club with DeZerbi

And to clarify - ‘the template’ I am referring to is not the style of play - but the holy trinity.

The Manager the Players and the Fans… working in unison.

That was essentially put in place by the great man Shankly. That is what was lost - what got broken after Kenny resigned…

..that is what Jurgen Klopp brought back to the club.

IF the incoming manager is able to keep that continuity as Paisley did - different persona though he was - then we are fine. If it gets lost or broken - we are looking at United but without their resources.