Page 9 of 85 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161959 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    And to clarify - ‘the template’ I am referring to is not the style of play - but the holy trinity.

The Manager the Players and the Fans… working in unison.

That was essentially put in place by the great man Shankly. That is what was lost - what got broken after Kenny resigned…

..that is what Jurgen Klopp brought back to the club.

IF the incoming manager is able to keep that continuity as Paisley did - different persona though he was - then we are fine. If it gets lost or broken - we are looking at United but without their resources.
    I’m just not sure Alonso fits that, he doesn’t really do it for me, he doesn’t know the Prem or employ a similar style that he can build on the existing style as Bob did in my opinion & he up & left us when we needed him most for tax reasons first time around

Just not the live & breath it type I think we need not do I think he is well adept in a similar style of play

It’s one of the greatest jobs in football but following after a legend is something that should give many possible candidates pause. The potential to be a massive let down is large. Could kill an up and coming career.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I’m just not sure Alonso fits that, he doesn’t really do it for me, he doesn’t know the Prem or employ a similar style that he can build on the existing style as Bob did in my opinion & he up & left us when we needed him most for tax reasons first time around

Just not the live & breath it type I think we need not do I think he is well adept in a similar style of play
    Well he hasn't worked with Klopp for a kick off. He wouldn't be a promotion from within BUT they are all leaving. Alonso is still the best bet for me if pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post

Played for LFC, Real, Bayern, and Spain. Serial title winner & World Cup winner. A phenomenal career.

He's 4 points clear of Bayern in the BL as manager, and he's ambitious. There's no doubt he loves Anfield

He definitely is a very different style of play, most short passes of any team in Europe and a 343. But all the other facets of being LFC manager he fits. Lack of experience still is a mighty concern. Has had half a great season at Leverkusen.

Alonso lacked experience when Leverkusen gave him a job. And whatever his style of football is now he's allowed to change it in future with different personnel and conditions. That said Eddie Howe may be available in the summer and he knows the premier league.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    Alonso lacked experience when Leverkusen gave him a job. And whatever his style of football is now he's allowed to change it in future with different personnel and conditions. That said Eddie Howe may be available in the summer and he knows the premier league.
    the last comment is a joke surely??
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

@19. Who would you go for if not Alonso?

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    @19. Who would you go for if not Alonso?
    Ain't that obvious? himself!
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

I don’t want Howe or that clown assistant Tindall anywhere near us. Id take Alonso, De Zerbi, Ange, or even that chap at Brentford first.