Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Arsenal

Your team v Arsenal

Well, here it is.

The biggest game of the season.

A chance to go 8 points clear of Arsenal is a massive thing, as it would likely kill their title challenge dead. We would also get the chance to go (temporarily) 8 points clear of Man City and put a little bit of pressure on their Monday night match against Brentford, though truthfully I expect no favours from anyone - we just have to handle our own business - not to mention games in hand for Man City, unlike Arsenal.

My plan had been Trent and Robertson for this one, but Gomez and Bradley are performing so well that they have to stay in on merit for me - and opportunities to rotate will have to come later. Bradley was exceptional.

.........................Alisson

Bradley.....Konate....Van Dijk....Gomez

.....................Mac Allister

...........Szoboszlai.........Jones

........Diaz.........Jota.........Núñez

Chelsea was ultimately comfortable tonight, much as we had to work for it. Arsenal at the Emirates is a totally, totally different proposition, so hopefully we can have a good first half like we did tonight.

We can't afford mistakes and must take our chances. Just hope Mac Allister's knock to the knee is quickly solved with ice and rest because if he is missing, it's a bad match to be without Endo.

Come on Reds! Let's keep this dream alive!
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Just a quick schedule note as well - depending on when the Luton game has been moved to, then it is looking like this for our next 5 League games -

Arsenal
    Burnley
    Brentford
    Nottingham Forest
    Man City

Stakes are pretty high this Sunday given what's coming at the end of that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Just a quick schedule note as well - depending on when the Luton game has been moved to, then it is looking like this for our next 5 League games -

Arsenal
    Burnley
    Brentford
    Nottingham Forest
    Man City

Stakes are pretty high this Sunday given what's coming at the end of that list.
    Keep this form g, and City will be absolutely quaking coming to Anfield....

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Keep this form g, and City will be absolutely quaking coming to Anfield....
    Let's hope.

Assuming they win their game in hand they will be just 2 behind us.

In an ideal World they draw a match where we win so it's a 4-point gap and then we beat them to make it a 7-point lead.

They'd then need a 3-game swing when there would be 12 matches remaining.

My "worry" (despite how I lay out these sorts of thoughts I am genuinely infinitely more focused on us just handling our own business) would be them keeping pace with us, nicking a draw at Anfield and there being 12 games left with just 2 points between us. It puts us in a position of potentially having to win every match and whilst that is possible, we know how hard it is.

Let's hope.

In an ideal World they draw a match where we win so it's a 4-point gap and then we beat them to make it a 7-point lead.

My "worry" (despite how I lay out these sorts of thoughts I am genuinely infinitely more focused on us just handling our own business) would be them keeping pace with us, nicking a draw at Anfield and there being 12 games left with just 2 points between us. It puts us in a position of potentially having to win every match and whilst that is possible, we know how hard it is.
    You're getting way to far ahead of yourself. City are still odds-on favourites to win the title. It will be between us and them. Pointless even thinking about point gaps at this stage. We're in with a shout, let's see how it goes over the next couple of games. I'd gladly have taken this position at the start of the season.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

Let's hope.

Yes - As we know City can be a juggernaut when winning runs are needed, which is more taxing for us and our KloppBall high intensity game in general.

City have the technical ability to make games more boring… less demanding though., far less physically exhausting and less mentally draining for their players.

This is the battle as always. We saw what it took to win it. Ok that season City actually fell short of their massive points totals but likely because we were a winning machine.

Arsenal away next - tough tough game. They will be smarting after that cup exit.

Imagine going into a game the size of Arsenal away and contemplating the very real possibility of leaving Trent on the bench and Joe Gomez keeping out Robbo!

What an utterly ridiculous situation!
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

If City win 15 or 16 of their remaining games then they 'deserve' to be champions. Not a lot you can do in those circumstances (as we've seen before).

If we were to win 11 or 12 of our remaining 16 I would still say we've given it a good go.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    You're getting way to far ahead of yourself. City are still odds-on favourites to win the title. It will be between us and them. Pointless even thinking about point gaps at this stage. We're in with a shout, let's see how it goes over the next couple of games. I'd gladly have taken this position at the start of the season.
    Hence my included caveat of "despite how I lay out these sorts of thoughts I am genuinely infinitely more focused on us just handling our own business" - the stuff just floats into my head for some passing seconds now and then and there's no harm in sharing.

Ultimately almost all I'll be thinking about (in a football context) this week is beating Arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Imagine going into a game the size of Arsenal away and contemplating the very real possibility of leaving Trent on the bench and Joe Gomez keeping out Robbo!

What an utterly ridiculous situation!
    Brilliant isn't it?

The options we have right now are unreal. The Firmino/Mane/Salah TEAM was probably better than this one, but I don't recall us ever having a better SQUAD.