Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Burnley

Your team v Burnley

Calm. Heads. Required.

If there is one thing the squad needs right now, it's a breather. The loss to Arsenal is a punch to the gut.

However, if we wilt - if we fold - if we cave - if we drop points in an upcoming game, only to see Man City or Arsenal drop points, we will absolutely kick ourselves at not capitalising or putting on pressure.

I believe title races kick in with 10-12 games to go, so I can't quite relate to the feeling that the race is over.

Here's our situation -

If Man City win their 2 games in hand they go a solitary point clear - just one. They still have tough games ahead and still have to come to Anfield.

We have a goal difference of +30 to their +27. Would I make them favourites? Yes. Should we give up? Not on your f**king life.

After a congested fixture schedule we now get Monday to Friday for rehab, recovery and preparation to go against the weakest side in the League. Give it everything all weak and turn up with intent to search and destroy. No complacency, put away every chance in case goal difference comes into it later on.

It's not even mid-February yet. Feel pessimistic, sure. Mourn the lost chance to extend the lead, sure. But we can't give up on the dream - we just can't.

.........................Alisson

Bradley.......Gomez....Van Dijk.... Robertson

.........................Endo

..........Mac Allister.........Jones

........Diaz.........Jota.........Núñez

Assuming Bradley feels mentally ready to come back and assuming that Endo has had no issues coming back from the Asian Cup, this is what I want to see.

We have to win. Ideally a big win to extend our goal difference and get some confidence back into the side.

In a boxing context we have bruised ribs - but we haven't fallen to the canvas just yet, not by a long shot.

*Edit - correction made, Gomez in for Konate, initial oversight*
    Last edited by Insidious; 4th February 2024 at 08:25 PM.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

No Konate he will be banned
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    No Konate he will be banned
    Quite right, I had meant to copy/paste Gomez's name in there and overlooked it.

Edit - appropriate edit made to OP.
    Last edited by Insidious; 4th February 2024 at 08:24 PM.

Ali
    Bradley/Trent
    Quansah
    Van Dijk
    Gomez
    Endo/Macca
    Macca/Jones
    Sz8/Grav
    Elliot/Gakpo
    Nunez
    Jota

The midfield depends if Endo and Sz8 is available same with Bradley. I would drop Diaz completely needs to go think about his game and up it to start. Elliot because it is a home game I would play him wide right as normally at home we tend to win no matter who plays. Let the 2 attackers be on the bench and want to come on and do something to fight for their careers here. Gakpo and Diaz are very underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by HLOGI View Post
    The midfield depends if Endo and Sz8 is available same with Bradley. I would drop Diaz completely needs to go think about his game and up it to start. Elliot because it is a home game I would play him wide right as normally at home we tend to win no matter who plays. Let the 2 attackers be on the bench and want to come on and do something to fight for their careers here. Gakpo and Diaz are very underwhelming.
    I haven't picked Szoboszlai as I am assuming he won't be fit given it was his hamstring he felt, plus I would rather rest him for 1-2 extra games if it means he might be fit for the rest of the season.

If he is (properly!) fit with the medical department feeling his chance of re-injuring himself is zero, then he goes back in.

Can understand the call on Diaz - at times his cutting inside is narrowing the play too much, plus he has a tendency to do the Milan Baros "head down, miss the right option" action with a ball at his feet at times. I'd nearly try him centrally at some stage if he going to do that to help with keeping the options right in the wider areas.

Alisson

Bradley Quansah Van Dijk Gomez

Jones Mac Allister Gravenberch

Gakpo Jota Nunez

If Bradley is back it’s probably better for him to keep busy too much time on your hands thinking isn’t any good

I’ve given Gravel another go, in his best position I diidnt think Elliott or Thiago did any better than him tbh, Thiago looked a liability, Elliott was a bit better in the press but backed up by Gomez not Mr I’m a midfield stroller

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post

I believe title races kick in with 10-12 games to go, so I can't quite relate to the feeling that the race is over.
    What kind of a knobhead would think the race is done whilst we're still top?

ASs long as the lads don't shit the bed in the next few weeks I think we'll be right up for it against City.

Grav will be very lucky to start again, as will Trent!

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    What kind of a knobhead would think the race is done whilst we're still top?

ASs long as the lads don't shit the bed in the next few weeks I think we'll be right up for it against City.

Grav will be very lucky to start again, as will Trent!
    I suspect if we were to glance at social media, you'll see a lot of Doom-and-Gloom and the assumption that Man City will "walk it" now.

I absolutely understand people thinking Man City are favourites (I'd still have them favourites even if we had won today for the record) but to not give us a chance at all is, I agree, somewhat bizarre - a title race that hasn't begun yet can't be over.

Burnley and Brentford are opportunities for us in terms of rest/rehab/prep as there are gaps between games, by which time we'll have played 25 League matches and be closer to things hotting up. It's worth reminding ourselves that Man City have dropped points in 7 of their 21 League games played - a 33% failure-to-win rate.

So much football left. We have to go to Burnley and give it 100% then rinse-and-repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I absolutely understand people thinking Man City are favourites (I'd still have them favourites even if we had won today for the record) but to not give us a chance at all is, I agree, somewhat bizarre - a title race that hasn't begun yet can't be over.
    Bookmakers have City as 60% chance of winning the league, LFC 30%.

We have a chance but we're definitely outsiders at this moment.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    Bookmakers have City as 60% chance of winning the league, LFC 30%.

We have a chance but we're definitely outsiders at this moment.
    Bookies odd are in part biased by money already placed.

In reality it's likely a tie between us and City based on the table, and the nature of not-losing-runs.