Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Southampton (FA Cup 5th Round)

Your team v Southampton (FA Cup 5th Round)

The Reds face unprecedented circumstances.

An injury-depleted squad has faced further set-backs. With 6 games left to play before the international break (FA Cup, 2 x Europa League and 3 x Premier League) before the mercy of ab international break, there is more fixture-juggling to be done.

Often the call is "just one more game" for certain individuals, but with about 130 minutes played in a League Cup Final, we find ourselves at the threshold. Sometimes you just can't ask for "one more go" from the lads.

The beauty of today is that we have a trophy in the bag - nobody can take it away from us.

With Southampton desperate to get back into the Premier League, they may have one eye on their next League fixture. We also have Anfield behind us and some of the kids proved that they have "got it" so I say trust them - not that we have much choice.

There are a few senior lads who I think can play this, but I will say it plainly that I want to be bringing certain lads off if it's remotely possible.

I'd go for something like -

..........................Kelleher

Bradley.....Quansah....Gomez.... Tsimikas

..........................Clark

..........McConnell........Nyoni

.......Figueroa.........Danns........Koumas

League Cup Champions for the TENTH time - whatever happens on Wednesday happens.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Yep something like that team Sid. being careful to manage Bradley and Gomez minutes.

Where's Kaide Gordon? he made the bench against Luton. Scanlon?

Just put out the strongest / sensible low risk team and see what happens.

Part of me doesn't care, part of me wants another Wembley final!

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    Yep something like that team Sid. being careful to manage Bradley and Gomez minutes.

Where's Kaide Gordon? he made the bench against Luton. Scanlon?

Just put out the strongest / sensible low risk team and see what happens.

Part of me doesn't care, part of me wants another Wembley final!
    Unsure on Scanlon - with Kaide there was reference to "musculoskeletal problems" which sounds like the growth issues that have been keeping Bajcetic out. Simply don't know enough about it medically so would lean towards not utilising him.

Bradley I would hope could come off after 45-60 minutes, then he can potentially miss the Nottingham Forest match - or he and Gomez do a half each for that Forest fixture - hard to think that far ahead just now after lifting a trophy and dealing with our unprecedented injury situation.

Another Wembley Final would be amazing. It's looking a bit of an ask right now admittedly. If we were to overcome Southampton, then the FA Cup quarter-final would be played on Saturday the 16th of March I believe - which would push the Everton game (currently scheduled for the 17th) back - this would mean we only had two League games (Nottingham Forest and Man City) before the international break - which may give us a sniff of a chance of having a few lads back later in the season. This is of course getting way, way ahead of ourselves - merely wanting to lay out potential permutations.

Well there's no point risking Gordon, or anyone fitness wise.

I see the last U-21 team who beat Newcastle 17th Feb was:

O. Kelly, Pitt, Scanlon, Miles, Nallo, Pilling, Gordon (Spearing, 85), Clark, Danns, Nyoni, Kone-Doherty.

I predict a call up for wee Jay on Wednesday!

Joe Gomez has been excellent as a full/wing back this season.
    But I don't feel full of confidence with him as a centre-back. Just saying like.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Joe Gomez has been excellent as a full/wing back this season.
    But I don't feel full of confidence with him as a centre-back. Just saying like.
    Understand what you're saying.

With the fixture congestion, effort against Chelsea and the upcoming Nottingham Forest game (must get 3 points before Man City) I just don't want Van Dijk or Konate anywhere near this Southampton match (last 10-20 minutes at a push) and Gomez is in a good enough run of form/confidence that I feel he can be part of a winning side in that position.

We will go much stronger than the proposed. If we have any intention of progressing. Understandable though IF Klopp does do this. Another key injury would be curtains

At this rate we wilnae be able tae field a team vs Southampton
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    We will go much stronger than the proposed. If we have any intention of progressing. Understandable though IF Klopp does do this. Another key injury would be curtains
    It's difficult - really is - I guess we will find out mid-week.

It's a pretty decent back five there (incl. goalkeeper) especially against Championship opposition - it's the front six where we are walking on eggshells in terms of who to pick.

In midfield we won't be seeing any of Thiago, Bajcetic, Jones, Gravenberch, Endo unless there's a miracle - and I think using Mac Allister would be really unwise. Elliott played for 120 minutes and whilst I think he would happily volunteer his services, I think it would be daft to give him anything more than the last 20-30 minutes. Even then I'd rather not use him - for all that he lacks in pace, his stamina and willingness to press is something I don't want us to lose to injury for the remainder of the run-in, especially coming on as a sub.

With the forwards I wouldn't be pushing Diaz - don't think I would want to risk Gakpo either. Núñez and Salah I would rather save for Nottingham (if they're even fit for Wednesday?) than give them game time (if they're fit then the last 20-30 max for me) and Jota obviously won't be making it.

What about yourself - are there any of the lads mentioned above you'd be content to risk?

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    ..........................Kelleher

Bradley.....Quansah....Gomez.... Tsimikas

..........................Clark

..........McConnell........Nyoni

.......Figueroa.........Danns........Koumas
    Cannae play that team if we want tae progress. It wull hae tae be a mix o' senior players wi' a few juniors thrown in.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.