Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: Liverpool v Southampton

Highlights here Kev,

Kelleher with several saves before we got a shot away. The kids were good, Clark assisting Koumas goal, Danns gets the headlines, his first goal was class, his second goal from a spilled shot by Bradley. I thought Elliott looked good after his 120 minutes on Sunday. van Dijk/Konate secure at the back. Gakpo stood out, he needs an arm around him or a warm weather break or a kick up the arse depending on your philosophy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68427781

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    I really hate getting carried away (we’ve been here before many times), but Danns does seem to be a natural striker; something we haven’t had for quite some time.
    Would be fabulous if we have a talent on our hands - just going to enjoy the process.

Many of us thought Brewster would go further than he did for example - the modern game is ruthless.

What's so wonderful is that youth gets a chance at our club - we must be a really attractive destination for younger targets now. The next Manager has to maintain that.

Agree completely Sid… let’s enjoy the ride.

It’s food for thought that without the massive injury crisis, we wouldn’t get to see these kids in action. Conor Bradley for example, would still be playing academy football… he now looks like he’ll compete for a place in the first team for the foreseeable future. I hope Danns follows suit.

Interesting that Klopp said that he hopes the supporters will appreciate the academy more when the transfer window opens.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Would be fabulous if we have a talent on our hands - just going to enjoy the process.

Many of us thought Brewster would go further than he did for example - the modern game is ruthless.

What's so wonderful is that youth gets a chance at our club - we must be a really attractive destination for younger targets now. The next Manager has to maintain that.
    Agree on the ruthless. It just shows how good those young kids are to playing first team football in major comps,top level.
    Imagine how good they are among the peers at their age level and now the quality of the next level they've reached now is another ball game yet they are coping just fine. It's incredible and all credit to them. It's great to see us have a batch of totally fearless young guns.
    Be fantastic to see them involved more going forward this season.
    The defining moments in our lives are never planned.

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    Agree completely Sid… let’s enjoy the ride.

It’s food for thought that without the massive injury crisis, we wouldn’t get to see these kids in action. Conor Bradley for example, would still be playing academy football… he now looks like he’ll compete for a place in the first team for the foreseeable future. I hope Danns follows suit.

Interesting that Klopp said that he hopes the supporters will appreciate the academy more when the transfer window opens.
    I think Klopp just meant don't go signing players for positions where we already have so much young academy talent.

Realistically some of these kids will go out on loan next season or suddenly our previously threadbare midfield looks stacked! And some loanees will be returning - Tyler Morton, Carvalho - and much depends on the new manager.

One of the most enjoyable nights I have ever had at Anfield despite the lousy weather, and possibly due to reduced expectations.

ok - much of the first 20 minutes were spent just waiting for the visitors to take the lead - which they should have done by at least a 2 goal margin, but the way the lads adjusted and worked it out - real time - was stunning. Elliott was truly amazing - considering the 120 mins on Sunday - the lad just keeps going & going, and every time I am there to see him in the flesh he has been one of the top performers on the pitch. Maybe he should pay me to come and watch?

Bradley… Sorry - but the lad reminds of a young Stevie G. Don’t care what anyone says - the sky is the limit with this one.

Kelleher - saved us on plenty of occasions and again - was truly magnificent.

Gomez - completely out of any kind of natural position but he stood up to be counted. Feel like the joke about him shooting from anywhere is beginning to play on his mind though.

Koumas’ strike looked wickedly cute to me - seemed to shape for far post and cut it into the near - only on seeing reply at HT did I notice the deflection - Still - a super finish

My lad told me Jayden would score a hat trick - and he wasn’t far wrong. Superb atmosphere

Really felt for Gakpo who had a wretched night - but he kept trying bless him. Confidence on the floor,

Hopefully not the last time I see Klopp pacing up and down inside the home technical area at Anfield but if it is - perhaps - fitting to see the imprint his legacy has left on the next generation.

Wonderful wonderful night. I knew we would get United at Old Shythole… Up the Reds.

Agree with you Steveo about Gomez, well said.

Gomez has been outstanding this season. A key player due to how versatile he is and just gets on and does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Gomez has been outstanding this season. A key player due to how versatile he is and just gets on and does the job.
    Different main roles, but he is essentially our "new" Milner - can fill in when required in multiple positions.

bad first half but the youngsters shone in the second
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century