Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your team v Atalanta (Europa League Quarter-Final, First Leg)

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Fun facts for the evening -

If we progress to the semi-finals, Jürgen will set a new club record of five European semi-final participations as Liverpool manager, exceeding the four of both Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley.

Tonight is our 28th European quarter-final in total. If we reach a 21st semi-final, it would extend a British record. Manchester United are next best with 18 semi-final appearances in all European comps.

If we win tonight, it represents our 250th European win in all competitions.
    A good accomplishment but Klopp disnae gie a toss aboot semi-finals. And I’ll still tak Bob’s record cheers.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

Who's put 50p in the dickhead ?

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Who's put 50p in the dickhead ?
    Gary Neville has an absolutely perfect coin slot in the middle of his forehead and if Spitting Image is still going (?) there is definitely a fun design to be had with it.

Really hope this is another step on the road to lifting it in Dublin - the one trophy we haven't lifted under Klopp.

The League is undoubtedly the main goal, but by God, Jürgen deserves to complete the set.
    I cant imagine how happy you would be if Jurgen finally manges to win the Sid Cup!
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Fun facts for the evening -

If we progress to the semi-finals, Jürgen will set a new club record of five European semi-final participations as Liverpool manager, exceeding the four of both Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley.

Tonight is our 28th European quarter-final in total. If we reach a 21st semi-final, it would extend a British record. Manchester United are next best with 18 semi-final appearances in all European comps.

If we win tonight, it represents our 250th European win in all competitions.
    I think Rafa had four too!!
    From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend on reading it. Groucho Marx

I thought it was 3.

2x v Chelsea too - and all in the Champions league. Did that in less than 5 years and despite the asset strippers. In 2009 despite beating Real 5:0 on Aggregate Chelsea in the quarters when we blew it at home 1:3 at Anfield and the 4:4 in West London. We were a genuine force under Rafa in Europe especially. Another case of - just a bit more on financial front and a lot more in the cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Red October View Post
    I think Rafa had four too!!
    I think you may be right - subject to correction -

04/05 we reached the Final (semi-final en route)
    06/07 we reached the Final (semi-final en route)
    07/08 we are knocked out by Chelsea, the year Riise gets the late own goal in the first leg
    09/10 we get knocked out of the Europa League by Atletico Madrid

Correct too.. Forgot about that.. Europa league though.. Fulham made the final - Danny Murphy played for them en route.

Lost to Atletico in the final...Probably why we got the Owl..

07/08 we are knocked out by Chelsea, the year Riise gets the late own goal in the first leg
    This was the 2009 Quarter final I believe Sid

Edit: NO I am wrong - we just lost 3:1 at home in 2009 (bummer).. The late own goal was indeed (94th sodding minute) the 2008 semi Sid - quite right.

Lost track of how many of those massive knockout games we had to face Chelsea in. Probably the toughest opponent to have over 2 legs for us. Look at the players they had.

SO - those swines and their armada of talent were all that stood between us and 4 Champions League semi finals in 5 seasons... Wow.. Rafael Benitez...
    Last edited by Steveo; 11th April 2024 at 05:52 PM.