Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Atalanta second keg

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    It seems entirely obvious the injury is the result of the foul in which he clearly turned his ankle

Yes - and that is definitely the reason for the lay off... but that could be missing a few details....

The thing is - so many of you (you and CC in particular - who love your million mile an hour football over tippy tappy crappy) seem to have forgotten what happens when you are fatigued or stretched from too many consecutive games and too many hard miles (in this case on a young lad who would never have played at this intensity and level for so long) .. You don't quite get to the ball when OR as you intended - accidents are that much more likely - and you are far more likely to suffer a collision and come off second best....

Either that - OR - we are the unluckiest team in history.

He may well have suffered this regardless - on day one - it happens but the overall trend suggests there is something else at play - not necessarily in Bradley's case BUT as I have said - look at how many minutes he has racked up in such a short space of time. Wasn't getting any first team minutes of note prior to Trents injury - than BAM...

This is why the top clubs REST players - they rotate players to conserve them. They don't keep chasing the dragon so they don't suffer these monumental injury catastrophes we seem to do more often than not.. Boom and Bust
    Last edited by Steveo; 16th April 2024 at 05:14 PM.

This - from a year ago. In fact - the only season this hasn't happened since winning the league was the season we went to the last day in every competition - Sadly fielding at least 2 players who were not fully fit in the final v Real Madrid.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2023/03/explained-why-liverpool-get-so-many-muscle-injuries-expert-insight/

Sounds like too many excuses

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Yes - and that is definitely the reason for the lay off... but that could be missing a few details....

The thing is - so many of you (you and CC in particular - who love your million mile an hour football over tippy tappy crappy) seem to have forgotten what happens when you are fatigued or stretched from too many consecutive games and too many hard miles (in this case on a young lad who would never have played at this intensity and level for so long) . You don't quite get to the ball when OR as you intended - accidents are that much more likely - and you are far more likely to suffer a collision and come off second best....

Either that - OR - we are the unluckiest team in history.

He may well have suffered this regardless - on day one - it happens but the overall trend suggests there is something else at play - not necessarily in Bradley's case BUT as I have said - look at how many minutes he has racked up in such a short space of time. Wasn't getting any first team minutes of note prior to Trents injury - than BAM...

This is why the top clubs REST players - they rotate players to conserve them. They don't keep chasing the dragon so they don't suffer these monumental injury catastrophes we seem to do more often than not.. Boom and Bust

The bolded part almost looks like you think I've been posting to that effect.

Here's what I have posted on injuries elsewhere. Doubt you'll find me going on about tippy tappy v million miles an hour football. Peps barca worked their arses off, as did Spain with great players.

1) I've given good marathon times, 5000 m etc times, for elite to average and beginners Then converted our players typical load of distance over time in a 90 minute game. And iirc pointed to the average distance covered of our players being equivalent to the Lower end of performance and higher than any pro footballers age range.
    Football isn't too demanding in terms of load per 90. It does have a stop start nature and sprints.

Bradley for example has 22 appearances over 1,185 minutes
    Or 13.11 * 90 minute matches
    The majority of those minutes are since new years
    It's the 16th week of the year.
    So all those minutes... he's less than 90 minutes a week on average.
    The idea he's been run into the ground seems weak.

2) I've suggested maximising our squads strengths through tactical/formation adapting would be most pleasing and efficient.
    Given Emre & Gini at cb in a back 3, like Palace just gone as 1 example.
    See the link for the 11 that day, 4 centre mids & 1 CB in a 3421
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/brighton-amp-hove-albion_liverpool-fc/index/spielbericht/2872257

The idea here is, as posted in previous seasons, is you adapt to minimise exposure to areas with few options and utilise the abundances elsewhere by picking a formation to suit.
    If you don't adapt & optimise, you end up playing certain players too much and others don't get enough minutes.
    At present the Klopp complaint I believe is MacA & Endo playing too much. As though no other options exist.
    A back 3 is an option, double pivot with one playing/starting, 4231.

I'd say I'm rarely complaining about injuries, tend to believe the quality in the squad is much higher than many give it credit for. I do adore Klopp but don't buy into the pedestaling and criticse where appropriate.
    More recently we smashed sparta and didn't rest key players. Was an opportunity to rest. Now everyone's saying they look spent cause of the style of play, top level football.
    Slated the recent united game and have pointed out that we've scored more goals in the PL in 2024 than in 2023, whilst we've been conceding more goals in 2024 than in 2023. And been conceding early and first. Rarely down to tiredness.

It’s not million miles an hour football all too teams run their arses off as do many lesser sides

In our title winning season our press & counter press sans Fab was SO good we played some games almost exclusively in the oppositions half restricting many of them to 3 or less, 2 or 3 times no attempts on our goal

We weren’t running our asses off or playing at a million miles an hour, we scored quite a number of goals through passing it around in their half before dropping a top quality ball over the top of their CB on the edge of his own area Hendo & Trent & even Virgil from just inside their half on one of them

Pressing & counter pressing isn’t that taxing at all when it’s done right because all the players help organise each other into being in great positions to do either so they are more often than not making only really short bursts to win the ball back, when it’s not done correctly they do put in more sprints & longer sprints & recovery runs because they allow teams to play out & transition that barely ever happened in Fab’s absence

It’s like the first leg v Atalanta their forward kept dropping into midfield, they got 3 in there including him between our mids & 2 CBs a few times & looked to release a player left or right who’d be able to advance to a great crossing position with THREE players with the run on our 2 CBs

That’s a severe lack of controlled quality pressing and counter pressing those players would have been picked up in 18-20 & they wouldn’t have been able to transition so easily with both out LFD & RFWD advanced, the false 9 in the hole & Gini or Hendo covering Robbo’s or Trent’s forays forward

I’ve watched that 4-0 v Leicester when they were flying & above is exactly as it was, it’s our best performance under Klopp to date the one Jurgen & Ljinders both came out & described as near perfect

There were 2 or 3 more they came out & said the same of in that run sans Fab that were after that game that did come close but they weren’t on that level

It’s about finding balance, too many times we have too many players moving & leaving players looking for a needless & pointless short ball in the passing it for the sake of passing it we’ve got entrenched in

Then if one has a poor touch or his telegraphed pass is intercepted there’s an easy transition on for the opposition with at least 2 players easy to find

When we took great pressing and counter pressing positions consistently as a team, we’d make timed runs off our man when the chance to get meaningfully involved in the play arose

I think that helps you when you play sides who man mark you too, because rather than stressing they’re man marking you, you’re thinking you’re with them waiting to make a well timed run off them to be found in a pocket where there’s good support to open the game up

We wasted chances a plenty back in the glory days of 18-20 too of course, but we were so much more precise & incisive using just 2-4 players in the move for the goal with only 2-4 passes And all the other players were all picking up great counter pressing positions in case the move broke down

You can of course add to all that when man marked by players making dummy runs to move their player & create a space for a second runner to arrive in off his man with a clear path to find them

We didn’t do nearly enough of that in the first game v Atalanta & a few other recent games were a bit stuck in our movement always only being to receive the ball & not nearly enough of making runs to move players to create space for our team mates

Henderson was actually very good at this & did it throughout games in 21-22 he Trent & Mo worked that area the space & opposition players really quite brilliantly between them that season it was a source of many of our goals & big chances created

I’ve lost count of the number of times the second ball from a corner or free has fallen to or been quickly given to Szobo in that inside right position just outside the area & we have 3 men on the shoulder at the back stick & he plays a nothing safety dance pass when we all know Trent or Henderson would have put that ball far post, know how counts for a lot more than people give it credit

We waste a lot of positions when we have players in great positions & should be putting the ball in but play a needless safety dance short pass instead

The best Liverpool of old Liverpool moment of this season was Robbo’s assist for Gakpo v Sheffield UTD, actually the best new old Liverpool moment as it was an absolute precision driven peach of a ball, but from a deeper position he rarely puts the ball in from that I always moaned he needed to do more of Quick Look, spots it, what a cross, it was glorious I’d like to see a bit more of the spikey in your face boggling you Robbo who did that brilliantly without getting himself in trouble I liked that as much as his crosses

I do wish someone would teach the fucker how to play the percentages through, the amount of times he’s in a glorious position where all he has to do is shoot across the keeper to the bottom right hand corner & we’ve got 2 or 3 really well placed for any parry should the keeper save it & he shoots elsewhere or tries a pass that’s never on to one of those well positioned for any parry Just fucking hit the thing across the keeper for fucks sake

Speaking of know how, I think we’re also lacking our players imposing their physicality on players & using that, not fouling them or get into a bit of a ruck just the general body to body, leaning on them, verbalising them on their shite talk or if they've fouled one of ours or dived General Robbo Hendo Mane Bobby Gini niggling the opposition imposing themselves on them

I’d like to see Szobo asked to make that triangle Trent Hendo & Mo used to & develop their play & understanding as a right side attacking trio through that, I think it could be the making of him asking him to play a more structured disciplined while still creative most likely more creative & productive role & it would really hone his play for the shorter game too