Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: What is the explanation for our dramatic loss of form…

1 week ago:
    Jamie Carragher has urged Liverpool to tighten up defensively if they’re to end Jurgen Klopp’s final season at the club as Premier League champions.

The Reds go into today’s clash against Crystal Palace having not kept a clean sheet in their last eight matches, with five goals conceded over the past week to Manchester United and Atalanta.

Speaking to Sky Sports at Anfield prior to this afternoon’s game, the ex-LFC defender said: “There is a feeling when you play Liverpool that you’ll get a chance, and it’s been there for most of the season.

“I think there’s 20 times this season where Liverpool have conceded the first goal. Between now and the end of the season, that’s got to stop.

“Liverpool must get back to keeping clean sheets, and if they do that, they have enough firepower on the pitch and also on the bench to come on and score goals. They’ve got to take that feeling away, and that would give everyone in this stadium and Liverpool supporters watching belief that they can win the Premier League.”
    https://www.empireofthekop.com/2024/04/14/carragher-liverpool-defensive-concerns/

Jurgen Klopp applauds Liverpool’s “best reaction” after conceding 20th first goal
    April 27, 2023
    https://www.thisisanfield.com/2023/04/jurgen-klopp-applauds-liverpools-best-reaction-after-conceding-20th-first-goal/

Conceded 3 at home to the mighty Atalanta - without reply.

A team who half the forum felt we would blow away. Most felt it was a formality.

But again that’s just one game.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Conceded 3 at home to the mighty Atalanta - without reply.

A team who half the forum felt we would blow away. Most felt it was a formality.

But again that’s just one game.
    I don't think it was just the forum. I think the team did too, I think they looked beyond them and the semi. Just thought about the final in Dublin.
    Not detracting from Atalanta but I think there was an element of complacency.

If you can’t grasp just how much the physical and mental fatigue has taken its toll then that’s fine. I would however suggest you’re guilty of ignoring what is and is not possible as well as the facts

The seniors that have been dropping like flies all season - just a coincidence? the 3rd such coincidence in the last 4 seasons?

Add to that the monumental announcement that our legendary father figure is leaving at seasons end. The pressure applied to every player to try and push harder / to try and win the lot for Jurgen. Mental pressure in the extreme as well as physical.

But keep trying to tell your own narrative - whatever that is. I’m sure you are the expert on this subject

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I don't think it was just the forum. I think the team did too, I think they looked beyond them and the semi. Just thought about the final in Dublin.
    Not detracting from Atalanta but I think there was an element of complacency.
    That’s an accusation that questions the professionalism of the entire setup. I don’t buy it and imo it’s just pride speaking,

The team are made up of young men… footballers - good lads but hardly the brightest and best of thinkers. They will have been made well aware by Jurgen of the dangers of facing an Italian team whether they believed the hype or not. Yes some Kopites too will have been guilty but I suggest they are probably those most prone to being swept along by the Bullshit. Believing the hype and no small amount of jingoistic tendency. The Mighty Liverpool v these minnow nobodies from Italy. As though the Italians don’t know how to nick a tie 😜 - they wrote the book

Anyone who knows the history and understands the reality of Klopps teams & what usually gets them through these ties would have known it was a tricky one to navigate - especially those who were actually watching how we were playing all season. A challenge to be taken every bit as seriously as facing Dortmund or Sevilla for instance. And in truth 0:3 flattered us.

Even now many will still say it was us not taking it seriously enough rather than accept - we got beaten by a side that has matched us game for game with Atalanta the only winners in knockout football. We win when we take them seriously and we lose when we don’t. Yea ok. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    That’s an accusation that questions the professionalism of the entire setup. I don’t buy it and imo it’s just pride speaking,

The team are made up of young men… footballers - good lads but hardly the brightest and best of thinkers. They will have been made well aware by Jurgen of the dangers of facing an Italian team whether they believed the hype or not. Yes some Kopites too will have been guilty but I suggest they are probably those most prone to being swept along by the Bullshit. Believing the hype and no small amount of jingoistic tendency. The Mighty Liverpool v these minnow nobodies from Italy. As though the Italians don’t know how to nick a tie 😜 - they wrote the book

Anyone who knows the history and understands the reality of Klopps teams & what usually gets them through these ties would have known it was a tricky one to navigate - especially those who were actually watching how we were playing all season. A challenge to be taken every bit as seriously as facing Dortmund or Sevilla for instance. And in truth 0:3 flattered us.

Even now many will still say it was us not taking it seriously enough rather than accept - we got beaten by a side that has matched us game for game with Atalanta the only winners in knockout football. We win when we take them seriously and we lose when we don’t. Yea ok. 👍
    I don't think it's questioning their professionalism. It's human nature at times to be complacent in things, being distracted by other elements like the league. There's been complacency from us throughout the season going one behind in so many games and relying on comebacks that have now faded away.

Like I said I'm not detracting from Atalanta, they fully deserved the win and we're the better side on the night. They're not a better team than us overall though and not many people at all had them down to beat us over two legs and especially at Anfield.

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    Maybe the mentality of the team is a reflection of the manager. Klopp looks a broken worn man. His team is reflecting that the last 6 weeks.
    This is us in a nutshell.
    It's sad to watch especially klopp and Mo at each other. Hopefully all will be sorted between them for the Wolves game as their won't be a dry eye in the house.

In Atalanta’s case it was a pretty naive assumption. Knowing Italian football. Seeing that last time out they beat us by 0:2 at Anfield.

Sorry but to me that’s entitled thinking,

Palace aren’t a better side either. Are Everton..?

I think most of you are simply refusing to see what’s there because you don’t like what it means

Maybe. I don't think we are as bad as you make out and are also probably not as good as I think either.
    I aswell as many are also well aware of what we are losing in Jürgen Klopp but I don't think we'll completely tank.
    There's still a good squad that is better than all but two teams in the league for a new guy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    This is us in a nutshell.
    It's sad to watch especially klopp and Mo at each other. Hopefully all will be sorted between them for the Wolves game as their won't be a dry eye in the house.
    Correct. So many refusing or unable to see it.