Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the explanation for our dramatic loss of form…

Don’t care how they do it in Germany, telling everyone you’re leaving mid season is nuts.
    We are now playing how I thought we would when it was announced

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Don’t care how they do it in Germany, telling everyone you’re leaving mid season is nuts.
    Definitely looks that way. Crazy to announce it when he did. I love Jurgen but he thinks he's bigger than the club.

Too much overplaying

Too much trying to play straight through the centre of sides while contributing to crowding ourselves out

Poor us of our attacking full backs & in not using the entire width of the pitch with the number of players we now have who can play quality switches

Not enough being direct and playing the ball when it’s on when it is fucking on, too many taking extra touches or making extra needless passes thrn the chance to meaningfully release a player has gone

Too slow a tempo too slow and predictable in our over passing letting teams like tonight’s opponent t get back in their positions and shape by playing needless passes instead of releasing a player

Poor set pieces especially letting Szobo anywhere near them

Complete loss of automation through losing all semblance of recognisable patterns of play that are effective and help the players giving them cues for movement

I mean I could go on

It could be that there’s an element or Jurgen & his coaches having been asked to try & instill things the next coach wants to employ

If that’s the case the signs aren’t good

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    But after it was announced we actually went on a run that saw us climb to the top of the league and even have a 3 point lead at one point.

The drop off came some time later after that.
    I would say it was just before the FA Cup semifinal with Man United (...and leading into that).

So I'm not really sure if the announcement had any direct psychological impact on them at the time.

Maybe they were just simply spent and ran out of gas.
    Remember that a lot of the players we've had available during that run haven't been in a title-challenging run-in and therefore couldn't possibly know what to expect in terms of the pressure you have to sustain and the mental focus you need.

A lot of the players who woud know had been in the physio's bench with injuries an are only starting to get back to full health and are far short of fitness to help mitigate that pressure anyway.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Definitely looks that way. Crazy to announce it when he did. I love Jurgen but he thinks he's bigger than the club.
    I've never felt he feels his bigger than the club.

I think it's unfortunate that it was done this way, but I think they (both he and the club) were forced into doing it this way.
    As someone else intimated, it was likely going to be leaked, and constant denials and "no comments" by either of them wasn't going to help with the team and focusing on the challenge at hand.

Plus, as soon as the club began doing due diligence on a replacement and asking other clubs for permission to speak to potential suitors, it would definitely come out then and it wouldn't be a great situation.

Besides which, there's no guarantee that even if they'd kept it under wraps until season's end that the team's form wouldn't have dropped off.
    Everyone's just assuming and (probably incorrectly correlating) the notion that the drop-off is because of the announcement even though they didn't happen at the same time or immediately following and there was a gap for some time in between when it seemed like the team hadn't been affected.

It's entirely possible, if not likely even, that what we're seeing now in terms of the drop-off would have happened in any situation regardless.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

There’s a real lack of leadership experience & know how with Hendo & Milner having left

I’d like Mac to take ownership of that in midfield and start directing and organising others more

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    I've never felt he feels his bigger than the club.

I think it's unfortunate that it was done this way, but I think they (both he and the club) were forced into doing it this way.
    As someone else intimated, it was likely going to be leaked, and constant denials and "no comments" by either of them wasn't going to help with the team and focusing on the challenge at hand.

Plus, as soon as the club began doing due diligence on a replacement and asking other clubs for permission to speak to potential suitors, it would definitely come out then and it wouldn't be a great situation.

Besides which, there's no guarantee that even if they'd kept it under wraps until season's end that the team's form wouldn't have dropped off.
    Everyone's just assuming and (probably incorrectly correlating) the notion that the drop-off is because of the announcement even though they didn't happen at the same time or immediately following and there was a gap for some time in between when it seemed like the team hadn't been affected.

It's entirely possible, if not likely even, that what we're seeing now in terms of the drop-off would have happened in any situation regardless.
    I think Ian might have been not entirely sincere in that post.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    It's ok Ian, we've got Trent he thinks he's bigger than the game.

We've had blips before but never at the end of the season, not like this. We played with poor energy levels against Atalanta and we were bossed in midfield. Our forwards are finding little space and when they do they spunk their load. Three games in a row we have struggled with either a press or a low block.