Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the explanation for our dramatic loss of form…

Watching that impotent to and fro around at the back last night after again failing to convert from plenty of decent opportunities does make you wonder....where the next win is coming from...?

And yes - ultimately it is the injuries that have YET AGAIN thwarted us. As they have done to drastic effect in 3 out of the last 4 seasons.

In 2022 we went to the last kick of every tournament in the one season we didn't suffer this issue - STILL we fielded 2 midfielders - not close to full fitness - in a final v Real Madrid. That was a crushing end to the season in truth as this one may well be.

This is still a fantastic season. Might sound daft to say at this point BUT looking at last season and after losing another of our great front 3 on top of an entire midfield replacement - Klopp has worked more miracles.

Again - despite everything - the officials and the injuries - I am convinced that HAD Klopps announcement been made a few months later OR not until seasons end - we would have continued the form for longer and would be in a good position to take the title again.

As it is I fell like the fatigue and mental drain of trying to do it for the manager has taken one toll too many.
    Let's hope I am wrong and that fate - twists this thing into our favour to take the crown

I'd really like to see Dann's given some minutes soon in these remaining games. If we are struggling for goals with say twenty or thirty minutes to go I don't see the harm in giving him a go.
    We've got away with things most of the season by scoring plenty and it's just sods law that Salah,Nunez and Diaz have hit a bad patch and Jota isn't yet fully fit. I really believe if Jota hadnt picked up that injury we'd be talking differently.
    We've been able to offset errors with their goals but now it's caught us and it was always going to. We couldn't carry on conceding first and not get bitten, I'm just puzzled as to why it's happened so much this season. That 21/32 games stat doesn't make good reading and it's a miracle we're near City when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    This game is a concern for me. We are lacking energy. As you say, they will be up for it. We need to match them at least for effort, I worry we won't be able to.

As for someone saying klopp thinks he is bigger than the club. Surely tongue in cheek with that comment?
    they are crazy saying that about Jurgen. i think its difficult emotionally for anyone. knowing the bias officials will deal us shit,. its gonna happen.. We just gotta ignore it and try and win our last 6 games
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Just put the chances away for fucks sake

This run does all seem to have started from the fuck up at Old toilet in the Cup when we should have buried them

Then we had 2 games we had to fight & comeback again
    Beating Brighton & Sheff & were very good in both

Then fucked it up for ourselves at Old Toiler again that’s the annoying thing, they were shite, we did it to ourselves

I was at the Southampton game with my lad.

A game we should have been 3 or more goals behind in - in truth - very inexperienced and cobbled together line up from us - and we somehow escaped to lead 1:0 at HT. Went on to win 3:0 Danns with 2 lovely goals.

As we walked from our seats we were told it was away at Old Toilet in the quarters. My lad was buzzing - I felt deflated - told him it could derail us if they popped our balloon. Even at my most pessimistic I didn’t foresee this much of a drop off though.

Mostly lurker on here guys.

Been a great season up to the last couple of weeks. I think the inconsistency of the team has maybe led us to this disappointment. As in the inconsistency of selection. We've had a lot of injuries again and it must be hard for the team to keep the results coming in when there's so many changes week to week. The back line has been disrupted with Allison out for a good while, Robertson missing, Trent and Konate too! That's nearly all our backline. That's the most critical part of the team in terms of keeping clean sheets.

The midfield was suprisingly good having just been constructed last summer. Some have dropped off a bit now but they did really well all season for the most part.

Up front has been the big issue for me. Nunez was a poor signing. He was very raw and sadly hasn't come on the way maybe Klopp had hoped. Salah has dropped off a lot from where he was a couple of seasons ago. Jota has been injured. Diaz is more a winger who might score the odd goal than a true goal threat.

When you look back at Klopp's peak team he had a real work-horse midfield who ran themselves into the ground. Hendo was all over the park. Wijnaldum while inconsistent, was amazing at getting around the pitch too. That was a lot of energy to build off.

Up front we had the big three. I might be seeing with rose tinted spectacles but all three never seemed to get injured much. Mane was a big loss as he provided a great out-ball and was always a goal threat. He had the ability to create goals out of nothing when the chance seemed gone. Salah was at peak form and had the pace and a little bit of trickery to punish defences. Bobby tied it all together and popped up with some great finishes at times.

I think we've really struggled to replace that up front. We're a shadow of that cohesion that we had. You could even argue that we've lost something in midfield even though we maybe have better footballers in there in Szobo (when on form) and Macca.

So overall, a combination of a lot of injuries leaving a disjointed group and a failure to find the gems that we had in Klopp's 1.0 team.
    From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend on reading it. Groucho Marx

Just one of our 3 PL losses this season have come with us ending the game with 11men. The form in the title winning and challenging seasons with Klopp has been crazy if you think about it. 90+ points on 3 occasions and we may get close to a total like that again this time. Yet probably won't be champions.

Lack of width when we employ taa in the hybrid role is a concern. Needs to be Gomez playing rcb when we do that imo. I think we’ll have to switch to 3 cbs next season. Also we can’t burst away from players up front anymore. When Salah and Diaz get the wrong side of the defenders they can be caught. It’s something we’ll need to address. Pace and power in forwards. We constantly have to turn back and recycle the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Creator Supremes View Post
    Just one of our 3 PL losses this season have come with us ending the game with 11men. The form in the title winning and challenging seasons with Klopp has been crazy if you think about it. 90+ points on 3 occasions and we may get close to a total like that again this time. Yet probably won't be champions.
    Really infuriating. How many times have we finished second with a total that on any other season would have won it? It happened under Rafa,Rogers and a few times under Klopp. What are the god damn chances yet it's happened to Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Really infuriating. How many times have we finished second with a total that on any other season would have won it? It happened under Rafa,Rogers and a few times under Klopp. What are the god damn chances yet it's happened to Liverpool.
    They’re very short odds when you accept the officials take points off us as well as our dropping them ourselves sone games, we are 7 points down on what we should have this season in that respect & City & Arse have an extra point each