Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: From here on in

Tall order for sure, but it's tough at the top, it's tough all over

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    We beat them, win our games in hand, they lose another game, and we likely go ahead on goal difference and head to head.
    I'd put us at 10% or less chance of winning it honestly - but that's still a chance.

If we win all 14 of our remaining League matches, we get 96 points.
    Man City win 12 (of their remaining League matches) they get 99 points.

It's not just the task of beating them on their own patch (tough, but possible) but the relentless consistency we have to show PLUS needing them to slip up against us AND somewhere else. The nightmare scenario would be 96 points each and they win it on Goal Difference. All our players can do is keep trying to win games. Getting to 96 from here would be a stunning achievement frankly, given the fixtures we'll have to juggle - and the likes of Ox/Minamino/Gomez/Origi will need to be called upon here and there.

Man City do have a few "interesting" fixtures left at least -

Tottenham - desperate not to fall too far away from the Champion's League spots.
    Everton - new manager bounce.
    Man United - a Derby, City at Home - Man United can counter-attack, which truthfully suits them better, plus will be aiming for 4th spot.
    Burnley - will hopefully still have a mathematical chance of staying up by the time the match happens.
    Liverpool - speaks for itself, them playing us.
    West Ham - penultimate League match of the season for Man City and they might just still have a chance of 4th or a Europa League spot by then in terms of something to play for.
    Aston Villa - the Villa players likely won't care, but Stevie will hopefully rev them up a few notches and Coutinho hopefully plays - at 29 he'll want a good performance in the last game of the season to attract potential suitors.

I don't hold much hope of them dropping many points, but you never know. All we can do is keep believing. Our Manager and players certainly won't give up on it. The beauty is that, even if we should fall short, we have other things to aim for - we may even win the League Cup to give us a shot in the arm just before we enter March.

Hopefully Sporting Lisbon give a decent account of themselves against them. The Spurs and Man United matches lie just after and just before those matches, respectively. I don't expect much from the Portugese side to be honest, but if they at least made Man City really have to work for those fixtures, it could just mean dropped points somewhere.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I'd put us at 10% or less chance of winning it honestly - but that's still a chance.

If we win all 14 of our remaining League matches, we get 96 points.
    Man City win 12 (of their remaining League matches) they get 99 points.

It's not just the task of beating them on their own patch (tough, but possible) but the relentless consistency we have to show PLUS needing them to slip up against us AND somewhere else. The nightmare scenario would be 96 points each and they win it on Goal Difference. All our players can do is keep trying to win games. Getting to 96 from here would be a stunning achievement frankly, given the fixtures we'll have to juggle - and the likes of Ox/Minamino/Gomez/Origi will need to be called upon here and there.

Man City do have a few "interesting" fixtures left at least -

Tottenham - desperate not to fall too far away from the Champion's League spots.
    Everton - new manager bounce.
    Man United - a Derby, City at Home - Man United can counter-attack, which truthfully suits them better, plus will be aiming for 4th spot.
    Burnley - will hopefully still have a mathematical chance of staying up by the time the match happens.
    Liverpool - speaks for itself, them playing us.
    West Ham - penultimate League match of the season for Man City and they might just still have a chance of 4th or a Europa League spot by then in terms of something to play for.
    Aston Villa - the Villa players likely won't care, but Stevie will hopefully rev them up a few notches and Coutinho hopefully plays - at 29 he'll want a good performance in the last game of the season to attract potential suitors.

I don't hold much hope of them dropping many points, but you never know. All we can do is keep believing. Our Manager and players certainly won't give up on it. The beauty is that, even if we should fall short, we have other things to aim for - we may even win the League Cup to give us a shot in the arm just before we enter March.

Hopefully Sporting Lisbon give a decent account of themselves against them. The Spurs and Man United matches lie just after and just before those matches, respectively. I don't expect much from the Portugese side to be honest, but if they at least made Man City really have to work for those fixtures, it could just mean dropped points somewhere.
    10% = Defeatist outlook

Using their current stats, after we beat them they've 12 other games to play.
    Likely to drop points in 20% of games - 2.4 games.

The challenge for us is going to be winning those games. Klopps gonna have to get our shape right, he has the players at his disposal.

30% chance minimum.

10% = Defeatist outlook

Using their current stats, after we beat them they've 12 other games to play.
    Likely to drop points in 20% of games - 2.4 games.

The challenge for us is going to be winning those games. Klopps gonna have to get our shape right, he has the players at his disposal.

30% chance minimum.
    They're better than us with the ball and without it, they're playing our 19-20 system with a fluid midfield 3 with any of that 3 becoming the attacking midfielder through being in great counter pressing positions and from them, they have evolved Cancelo as I wanted Trent and Robbo evolved before they even signed him and they have won several games through forced and unforced errors through their press and counter press and smothering sides and not letting them play out

Our hope is that their defenders aren't as good as ours and have more mistakes in them, they aren't as good at defending set pieces, and their manager has a really nice habit of overthinking things when the pressure really comes on, so if we can keep winning and they drop a couple of points and we beat them and they get a bad or unexpected Champions League result or draw and suddenly feel under pressure through that, it could let us in
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    They're better than us with the ball and without it, they're playing our 19-20 system with a fluid midfield 3 with any of that 3 becoming the attacking midfielder through being in great counter pressing positions and from them, they have evolved Cancelo as I wanted Trent and Robbo evolved before they even signed him and they have won several games through forced and unforced errors through their press and counter press and smothering sides and not letting them play out

Our hope is that their defenders aren't as good as ours and have more mistakes in them, they aren't as good at defending set pieces, and their manager has a really nice habit of overthinking things when the pressure really comes on, so if we can keep winning and they drop a couple of points and we beat them and they get a bad or unexpected Champions League result or draw and suddenly feel under pressure through that, it could let us in
    Very fine margins separate us in the league. Overall we've had a better season. Outperforming them over the last set of games is tangible. We have the player pool to do it too

I don't know what city you see where Rodri is central attacking mid and barnardo Silva or kdb are playing 6 🤔

They are maximising their squads depth of talent we aren't. They normally play 3 with a Silva or KDB type player in the 3, they can play with two 10s in their 3. They play a double pivot occasionally too and a front 4.

Today we'd have been better off

.........Hendo Fab
    Keita Firmino Mane
    ...........Salah

Hendo continues to be under the impression he's ZZ
    It needs addressing.

Also didn't fabinho leading the press turnover a ball leading to a goal for us recently?
    I've missed the games lately.

The idea Hendo should be our 10 like KDB or Silva seems a little odd in a 433

Firmino, Diaz, Ox, Keita, Elliot, Jones would be some better options for a fourth attacker.

Fab Thiago - fine double pivot
    Hendo Fab - fine too
    Hendo Thiago - should be fine
    Fab Keita more promising a pair than Hendo Keita

Need to let the competition breed

The idea Hendo should be our 10 like KDB or Silva seems a little odd in a 433

Firmino, Diaz, Ox, Keita, Elliot, Jones would be some better options for a fourth attacker.

Fab Thiago - fine double pivot
    Hendo Fab - fine too
    Hendo Thiago - should be fine
    Fab Keita more promising a pair than Hendo Keita

Need to let the competition breed
    Henderson got a lot of criticism for his performance on Sunday but he's the only one that will try play a forward ball from midfield. If you play lots of low percentage passes your pass completion percentage is going to be low.

None of his passes came off (though he did hit a lovely first time cross that deserved someone at the end of it!) on Sunday but they might on Wednesday. He's a far better technician (okay he's not KDB level) then some will give him credit for. I'm sure a lot on here still see him as Darren Gibson / Glenn Whelan like plodder.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

5 of our 6 games before we play City are at home. I would expect us to win all of our next 6. City must surely be due to drop some points befor ewe play them...>
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

I've just read that yesterday was the first time Fabinho, Thiago and Keita have played together as a midfield.. surprising