Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: Brentford v Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    They beat United 4:0 and City 2:1 - they just schooled West Ham, they are just a better side than Leicester City.
    To continue to credit Brentford they gave us an excellent game in a season where we got genuinely close to a Quadruple.

If it was an isolated loss I could definitely take it as they are a good side. Unfortunately it's our 5th League loss now - could very well lose 10 or 11 this season.

Rather feel we have to beat both Brighton and Chelsea now to stay close. Looking a big, big ask. A journo waiting for a good story might say it's a wonderful opportunity for Gakpo to get fans on side immediately but that performance last night (first half particularly) does not inspire confidence.

Indeed Sid.. we just have to hope for something akin to 2021, something like that. Problem is we managed to get a decent midfield together in front of the makeshift back line for that run in - if we don't bring in at least one genuine midfield starter - and I don't mean on Jan 31st... there isn't a midfield worth speaking of. Without that middle of the field foundation and a front line that is makeshift or learning on the job - it's a huge ask.

We have Centre backs pushing up to join the attack.. That's a huge problem.. 15 shots at goal now for Nunez without a goal. That can't continue.. He looks a real threat but when the likes of Neville and that halfwit Richards are singing your praises - you know they like what they see.
    Last edited by Steveo; 3rd January 2023 at 02:07 PM.

Imagine our morale if we don't bring a midfielder in. It'll be on the floor.
    I'm dreading that CL tie against that lot.

Re: Nunez, it goes without saying that he simply has to start hitting the target and scoring goals. Patience will wear out if it carries on and we keep dropping points or go out of cups.
    If he scores that chance at 1-0 it could have been a different game, all what ifs etc but he should score.
    Last edited by teesred; 3rd January 2023 at 02:12 PM.

Yep - and I feel for him on that one, he did everything right. Bad luck that. However so many others were not bad luck but poor shooting and lack of composure.

If we score that I think it’s tough for Brentford to come back. We had chances yesterday for sure. We almost always do, we don’t take nearly enough

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Imagine our morale if we don't bring a midfielder in. It'll be on the floor.
    I'm dreading that CL tie against that lot.

Re: Nunez, it goes without saying that he simply has to start hitting the target and scoring goals. Patience will wear out if it carries on and we keep dropping points or go out of cups.
    If he scores that chance at 1-0 it could have been a different game, all what ifs etc but he should score.
    He's not just going to start putting chances away. Anyone can see he's not a natural finisher, and he's more one footed than any other player I can remember watching. He's quick and strong and get's into good positions but his composure and ball control are abysmal. That's not going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by pob View Post
    He's not just going to start putting chances away. Anyone can see he's not a natural finisher, and he's more one footed than any other player I can remember watching. He's quick and strong and get's into good positions but his composure and ball control are abysmal. That's not going to change.
    Gakpo seems to assist more than score too looking at his history, this season does get some though...

Salah needs to start taking chances more often, we need the best from him to have any hope
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

I'm less worried about Nunez coming good. He's missing a shit load of chances and with our injury problems he has to play. Had Diaz or Jota (or both been fit) - he'd be benched for now - taking pressure off him.

I'm more concerned that we don't appear to have any plan for refreshing the midfield. Chugging along with essentially the same midfielders for 3 or 4 years. Really have to question what is going on!

I've mentally written off this season now.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Don't write it off.
    4th is for the taking.
    Spurs not great
    Man u too but improvement
    Chelsea too.
    A big battle ahead.
    The midfield 3 strongest is Fabinho Henderson and Thiago all near or above 30.
    Then Milner 37
    Then Elliott 19.
    Here lies the issues.
    Defence and attack is still ok .
    Or very much advanced work in progress.

Midfield is desperate.
    But on paper we have 8 or 10 midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I'm less worried about Nunez coming good. He's missing a shit load of chances and with our injury problems he has to play. Had Diaz or Jota (or both been fit) - he'd be benched for now - taking pressure off him.

I'm more concerned that we don't appear to have any plan for refreshing the midfield. Chugging along with essentially the same midfielders for 3 or 4 years. Really have to question what is going on!

I've mentally written off this season now.
    It is really odd. I think we've done well in the other areas of the side in transitioning from that 2020 side. Jota/Diaz/Nunez and now Gakpo. Konate and Ramsay at the other end of the pitch.

2 really good midfielders would make a world of difference.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by pob View Post
    Which one though. I can’t figure it out.