Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Arne Slot's right in..

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Oh I know - mine too.

Just highlighting why it may be perceived as more.

For the record..

No team has managed 49 games unbeaten in top flight football….since WW2…

It’s not just about the winning of the title - the first in the clubs history btw.. It’s the consistency required to not be beaten by anyone over that period.

It’s already an absolutely astounding achievement. IF they win the Europa - it is surely up there with the greatest ever achievements in world football… No..?
    Definitely right up there.

I still think Leicester City winning the title is the single greatest achievement in football.

Leverkusen were a 'decent' side side before Alonso took charge. They're the English equivelent of Modern day Spurs.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

That was a great win for Ranieri no doubt - but he was always a very accomplished and hugely experienced. A shrewd Italian with an understanding of the finer details - who coached some amazing talent in his time..frankly on another level to any of his British counterparts.

Did great - BUT - knocked out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle.. Beaten by Hull City in the 4th round of League Cup - No European football? - 81 points.. Hmm..

Not sure that equates with what Xabi would have done IF he does win the Europa too.. Not sure it equates even now really.. Don't forget That Bundesliga is "so shit" - Bayern knocked out Arsenal and only missed out on an all German final by a whisker due to Carlo's Real - with Dortmund already there.. Leverkueson making up half the Europa final too.

Also worth remembering. Apart from us losing to Sevilla in 2016 after somehow (Klopp) getting past Dortmund..No other English team made any of the finals in 2015-2016 or 2017.. That surely indicates that the Premier league - despite all the talk isn't always quite as strong as many suggest.

I dont think Ranieri is/was a particularly good/great manager.

But he took a side that avoided relegation the season before and won a title with them. To me I dont think it will ever be beaten.

It's not a detraction from what Leverkuse are hopefully going to do.

That was a great win for Ranieri no doubt - but he was always a very accomplished and hugely experienced. A shrewd Italian with an understanding of the finer details - who coached some amazing talent in his time..frankly on another level to any of his British counterparts.

Did great - BUT - knocked out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle.. Beaten by Hull City in the 4th round of League Cup - No European football? - 81 points.. Hmm..

Not sure that equates with what Xabi would have done IF he does win the Europa too.. Not sure it equates even now really.. Don't forget That Bundesliga is "so shit" - Bayern knocked out Arsenal and only missed out on an all German final by a whisker due to Carlo's Real - with Dortmund already there.. Leverkueson making up half the Europa final too.

Also worth remembering. Apart from us losing to Sevilla in 2016 after somehow (Klopp) getting past Dortmund..No other English team made any of the finals in 2015-2016 or 2017.. That surely indicates that the Premier league - despite all the talk isn't always quite as strong as many suggest.
    Since 2001/02 when Bayer leverkusen lost the CL Final to Real, Germany has had 6 CL finalists in total including Leverkusen to LFC's 5 CL final appearances.
    Statistically the 2 strongest leagues in Europe are the PL & La Liga.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Since 2001/02 when Bayer leverkusen lost the CL Final to Real, Germany has had 6 CL finalists in total including Leverkusen to LFC's 5 CL final appearances.
    Statistically the 2 strongest leagues in Europe are the PL & La Liga.
    If you want to start at 2001 - if you do that we have only won 2 European cups though.. a rather strange way to look at European Football.

According to the interweb With 48 continental trophies won, English football clubs are the third-most successful in European football, behind Italy (49) and Spain (65)

Here's one that is comprehensive and not a cherry picked time scale.
    Real Madrid have 14 European Cups alone - that's 1 less than all the English clubs combined. Italy have 12 but have come through - by their standards a huge depression in their football following multiple scandals.

Interestingly - Bayern Munich were minutes away from a final which - had they won - would have put them on 7 European Cup wins.. and they have played in 5 more finals.. 11 finals alone - so almost 12, but for those last few minutes in the Bernebeu.

The point I was making was to highlight that Liecester City won the title at a time when you could say - the premier league was not at it's peak..? Apart from Klopp's Liverpool there were no English finalists in Europe at all in 2015 2016 and 2017..

Here are some interesting numbers as of 2018 - which show how era's change from one dominant nation to another..

The number of trophies per country from 1988-89 to 1998-99 shows the extent of Serie A’s dominance:

15 Italy
    5 Spain
    4 England, Germany
    2 Netherlands, France
    1 Yugoslavia

The Cup Winners’ Cup was abolished in 1999 and, since the turn of the century, La Liga clubs have dominated European football to a spectacular extent.

18 Spain
    6 England
    3 Italy, Portugal
    2 Germany, Russia
    1 Turkey, Netherlands, Ukraine

Ourselves - Bayern - Chelsea, City and you know who x2. Grrr - have all won it since then
    Last edited by Steveo; 10th May 2024 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    I dont think Ranieri is/was a particularly good/great manager.

But he took a side that avoided relegation the season before and won a title with them. To me I dont think it will ever be beaten.

It's not a detraction from what Leverkuse are hopefully going to do.
    What do you think changed their fortunes so radically?

Here is Leverkusen's placing relative to the German league - might surprise a few

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...or_honours_won

What do you think changed their fortunes so radically?

Here is Leverkusen's placing relative to the German league - might surprise a few

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...or_honours_won
    I have no doubt Alonso is the reason for Leverkusen doing so well. And he would be my choice for our next manager. But as mentioned, he's taken over a club who have peranially finished in the top 6 over the last 5 or 6 years.

Leicester was a complete one off from nowhere. Claudio Ranieri had done very little before and very little since. I have no idea where the Leicester charge came from, i'm less inclined to credit Ranieri compared to crediting the players.

In footballing terms one of the great fairy tale stories. Ranieri did amazing. But i think what is also lost is how they finished the previous season think was Pearson. 7 wins from last 9 i think. They carried that form for the entire preceding season. Also Kante and Mahrez what brilliant acquisitions they were fantastic players. And Vardy a very confident finsisher. That season had written in the starts. Fantastic achoevement from Ranieri as well.

Behave what? I watched the game last night, in the second half Roma went 2-0 up & looked lik e winning Leverkusen didn’t look like scoring, thrn a complete freak own goal gave them belief, not a sub m, tactical change or tweak, a complete freak own goal

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Behave what? I watched the game last night, in the second half Roma went 2-0 up & looked lik e winning Leverkusen didn’t look like scoring, thrn a complete freak own goal gave them belief, not a sub m, tactical change or tweak, a complete freak own goal
    You cant fluke an unbeaten season FFS.