Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Arne Slot's right in..

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    You cant fluke an unbeaten season FFS.
    I’m not saying they have well except to wind up the stalker for the bantz but they were exceptionally lucky to not get beat last night

Arsenal invincibles were an exceptional attacking team who were brilliant to watch, watching Leverkusen is like watching paint dry too often

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Who would you have liked/preferred SB?
    Good question mate. Alonso obviously, but I do like the cut of Amorim… he seems like a smart guy. Beyond that it’s really hard because there simply isn’t a “replacement” for Klopp, he’s irreplaceable. Everyone is a risk, even Alonso. Having said all of that, I’m quite impressed by what I’ve seen of slot. Whether he could re-create that in the Premier League, is a totally different matter but he’ll get my full support.

Whoever we get, we need to stick with them. I’m not sure how long for, but we cannot afford to panic if things don’t work out. Arteta is a good example of giving it time. It wasn’t that long ago that every Arsenal fan on the planet wanted him gone.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Jurgen is saying he wished he'd started Elliot more. I hope Slot doesn't listen to this and feels inclined to play Elliot more..
    One outstanding goal does not make a season. There shouldn't be favouritism. should play what you think is the best 11 front the start to win a certain match.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Let’s hope Slot works out like Bob after Bill

He’s walking into a group of players who can do pretty much everything he’ll want, they know the levels of intensity they can already play as as a group, Jurgen blessed them with unlocking that, they & the crowd have to bring it

2 or 3 top quality additions a CB No6 & a top top forward who gives us back the wow factor we once had in our front line & hopefully, if we do all those things & he’s tactically proficient with the slight tweaks necessary for different opposition, it all pans out marvellously

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    If you want to start at 2001 - if you do that we have only won 2 European cups though.. a rather strange way to look at European Football.

According to the interweb With 48 continental trophies won, English football clubs are the third-most successful in European football, behind Italy (49) and Spain (65)

Here's one that is comprehensive and not a cherry picked time scale.
    Real Madrid have 14 European Cups alone - that's 1 less than all the English clubs combined. Italy have 12 but have come through - by their standards a huge depression in their football following multiple scandals.

Interestingly - Bayern Munich were minutes away from a final which - had they won - would have put them on 7 European Cup wins.. and they have played in 5 more finals.. 11 finals alone - so almost 12, but for those last few minutes in the Bernebeu.

The point I was making was to highlight that Liecester City won the title at a time when you could say - the premier league was not at it's peak..? Apart from Klopp's Liverpool there were no English finalists in Europe at all in 2015 2016 and 2017..

Here are some interesting numbers as of 2018 - which show how era's change from one dominant nation to another..

The number of trophies per country from 1988-89 to 1998-99 shows the extent of Serie A’s dominance:

15 Italy
    5 Spain
    4 England, Germany
    2 Netherlands, France
    1 Yugoslavia

The Cup Winners’ Cup was abolished in 1999 and, since the turn of the century, La Liga clubs have dominated European football to a spectacular extent.

18 Spain
    6 England
    3 Italy, Portugal
    2 Germany, Russia
    1 Turkey, Netherlands, Ukraine

Ourselves - Bayern - Chelsea, City and you know who x2. Grrr - have all won it since then
    I picked that season as it featured Leverkusen in the CL Final.
    I put LFC up against the bundesliga to give a better picture of this era. Over the last year.

This last bit since the turn of the century, which is what was essentially covered in my post, is a little confusing.

You've listed 37 titles, you've said ourselves, Bayern, City, Chelsea and you know who yanited have all won it since.

How are their 37 titles since the turn of the century ?
    Does uniteds 99/00 count as since the turn of the century ?
    Who are the 2 CL winners from Russia ? Did you mean the Europa
    The Turkish winners ?

Lfc, cfc & manu have won the EL this century.
    Lfc *2, cfc *2, Manu & City one CL win each.
    That would be 9 since the turn of the century. 10 if you count uniteds 99/00, the final occurred after the turn of the century.

We are also on 6 CL titles like Bayern, they joined us on 6 after we won our 6th.
    Only AC Milan 7 & Real 14 have more than us.
    Last edited by CCTV; 11th May 2024 at 02:35 AM.

Yea even after their incredible league win - a first in their history they sit 16th on the list of Germany’s most successful clubs. They literally had won nothing apart from that single Uefa/Europa League trophy.

Reaching a CL was a fantastic achievement for them - but in actual successes they are total minnows and don’t see why you would only limit things to start from the ONLY time in history they even featured in any final in that competition..?

Think Villarreal really.

https://onefootball.com/en/news/the-10-smallest-footballing-cities-to-win-a-european-trophy-38834104

The list you refer to as 37..? I don’t get to that number. It’s simple to my eye - those titles in that second list dominated by Spain are accounted for in 2018 and are from the turn of the century. So 17 European seasons and 2 comps per season = 34 titles CL and EL. There are 34 titles in that list.
    No..?

Zenit and Galatasary are the Russian and Turkish sides to win. This is all European competition BTW and I used that because on that marker Leverkusen have actually managed a title. Lots of teams have featured in the CL who were minnows also - Leicester City as actual league champions did it.

Domination of the biggest prize can also be judged by looking at who is teaching the most semi finals. Which teams are going the deepest into the tournament.

And this little video does a decent visual job of representing that.

I guess the point is German football clubs are very well accounted for across all
    European football. Obviously Bayern tower over them all but the Bundesliga is not a shyte league
    Last edited by Steveo; 11th May 2024 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Yea even after their incredible league win - a first in their history they sit 16th on the list of Germany’s most successful clubs. They literally had won nothing apart from that single Uefa/Europa League trophy.

Reaching a CL was a fantastic achievement for them - but in actual successes they are total minnows and don’t see why you would only limit things to start from the ONLY time in history they even featured in any final in that competition..?

Think Villarreal really.

https://onefootball.com/en/news/the-10-smallest-footballing-cities-to-win-a-european-trophy-38834104

The list you refer to as 37..? I don’t get to that number. It’s simple to my eye - those titles in that second list dominated by Spain are accounted for in 2018 and are from the turn of the century. So 17 European seasons and 2 comps per season = 34 titles CL and EL. There are 34 titles in that list.
    No..?

Zenit and Galatasary are the Russian and Turkish sides to win. This is all European competition BTW and I used that because on that marker Leverkusen have actually managed a title. Lots of teams have featured in the CL who were minnows also - Leicester City as actual league champions did it.

Domination of the biggest prize can also be judged by looking at who is teaching the most semi finals. Which teams are going the deepest into the tournament.

And this little video does a decent visual job of representing that.

I guess the point is German football clubs are very well accounted for across all
    European football. Obviously Bayern tower over them all but the Bundesliga is not a shyte league
    18 Spain
    6 England
    3 Italy, Portugal
    2 Germany, Russia
    1 Turkey, Netherlands, Ukraine

18+6+3+3+2+2+1+1+1= 37

YOu are correct on 37 - doesn't make sense unless the article has been written between a CL final and a EL final..? Or a final abandoned? To be an odd number? I totally forgot CSKA Moscow had a win tbh. So they are looking at 18.5 seasons.. probably missing the CL or EL winner from that year But still don't get the issue here - It's one of 2 lists that show periods of domination by certain nations across selected time periods as that seems to be the way these things work.

Italy dominate for 10 years - then Spain dominate for 10 and frankly have continued to do so

EDIT: Here

It's a Guardian article dated 22 May 2018..

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/22/has-one-league-ever-dominated-european-football-like-la-liga
    Last edited by Steveo; 11th May 2024 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Jurgen is saying he wished he'd started Elliot more. I hope Slot doesn't listen to this and feels inclined to play Elliot more..
    One outstanding goal does not make a season. There shouldn't be favouritism. should play what you think is the best 11 front the start to win a certain match.
    Elliott's an interesting one though in that certain things about him may surprise you.

He has a bit of a reputation for sideways passing (I think this stems from the passes to Mo or Trent as there is a certain pass he always plays that sticks in the mind) yet his progressive passes per 90 is actually higher than Szoboszlai or Mac Allister - so he does help us progress the ball forward.

His work-rate is also there.

His biggest issue - or perhaps I should really say my biggest issue with him - is his decision-making in the press. He still has a bit of "headless chicken" about him at times for me and due to his lack of pace a big space is left behind him if he presses and the ball gets passed around him - he simply isn't going to recover the ball if a pacey counter-attacking side (Palace, say) get him turned and get running at us.

I still see him as a 10 more than an 8 and we don't really play 4-2-3-1 but I also have to counter any criticism I have of him with how young he is.

The big question really is what can he be when he is 24-29 or so? Are we witnessing his level (decent squad player) or can he develop into a lesser version of a Bernardo Silva type or an Odegaard?