Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789

Thread: Match Thread: Liverpool v Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    So in the end our defence conceded 7 goals more than the top team and our attack scored 10 goals less.
    That 8 point VAR swing between us & City & Arsenal ultimately made all the difference

Even in 90 plus points races teams drop points in 8-10 games playing at the levels they do, if you add 3 games to that through corrupt officiating, it’s a massive ask

That and Klopp not listening to your expert advice and pointers on where he was getting it so wrong. 😑

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    That and Klopp not listening to your expert advice and pointers on where he was getting it so wrong. 😑
    What is quite funny, is he did actually quite frequently do the things I wanted to see, a lot later than I had said they needed to be done

Playing whatever CBs we had at CB & our mids in midfield. dropping the line 10-15 yards & setting the press & little differently to better protect the CBs & all of it, eventually happening in 20-21

Lots of Trent & Robbo stuff was introduced, too much of if wasn’t Different league n all, but watch Hartman & the variation and quality with it of passes & crosses from LB it’s pretty much everything I was asking for Robbo & Trent to be doing

Thing is we never got better than we were in 18-20 the attempted evolution didn’t work

21-22 playing for everything only happened because we didn’t have too many injuries except the usual suspects & finally had a bigger squad with more quality in depth for the first time

Fab was always a weak link though, I don’t think he’d have been around under slot, I’m thinking he’ll be looking to replace Endo who I rate as better than Fab because he’s an actual No6/DM not a RB pushed into mid to act as a destroyer, but Endo has lapses when he loses a player he really shouldn’t sometimes too

Depends how you look at things. bar one game 2021/22 is arguably our best season ever and 2 games and it’s the greatest season of any team in history, The highest win percentage ever despite so many games AND a squad that was carrying a few too many aging stars.

No… for me had Klopp been afforded another kitty even close to like he was after the Coutinho dosh - in Jan 2018… We would have done far better than 2018/19 - which was probably our best and certainly better than the title season…

It’s tough to win the biggest prizes consistently when you play a pressing & counter pressing game & have a RB playing the No6 position as a destroyer who continually lets that press & counter press get broken

After 19-20 Fab’s number was up, he was constantly targeted as an area teams could use a player off him or where he should have been as a No6 to transition

They were doing it in 2018-2019 in the Prem, it’s why Hendo was brought back in at RCM to help Gini pick up his slack a move that undoubtedly led to our being robbed of another league title & winning the Champions League

It hadn’t really filtered into Europe to try what many Prem clubs were doing then & most struggled to do it well enough after the changes with Gini & Hendo being so superb at covering up Fab’s deficiencies The first time I saw it in Europe was the disaster v Atletico, They just destroyed Fab completely, runs off him, letting him have it & picking everyone else up like “Yeah have it, you’ve got nothing to hurt us” thrn intercepting his attempted passes & releasing a player off the back of him

Granted when I was younger you weren’t able to watch as much football, but bringing Fab back in when the team had evolved so considerably in his absence was the first time I’d seen any manager do that in such a situation, it would have been like Redknapp bringing Krancjaer back in and putting Bale back at LB when it happened at Spurs, there were a few Ferguson & Wenger ones in their time too, where a player got injured, a player came in & they accidentally stumbled on their best 11