Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: Man City v Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Out of interest......
    At the start of the season would you have taken a domestic cup double?
    How will you feel if that's actually what happens?
    For myself?
    Yes!
    All trophies mean something to me!

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    For myself?
    Yes!
    All trophies mean something to me!
    I'd have taken it for sure but right now at the risk of sounding ungrateful it might feel slightly underwhelming.

I'd have taken it for sure but right now at the risk of sounding ungrateful it might feel slightly underwhelming.
    We are at a stage where winning a trophy each seaon is very hopeful. We have won one again this season. we need to continue that trend to turn hope into expectancy. Quadruple would change that for sure but to miss out? Many have before.

Out of interest......
    At the start of the season would you have taken a domestic cup double?
    How will you feel if that's actually what happens?
    No, we measure ourselves in the League and CL. So at the start of the season I wouldn't have traded either of those 2 for a cup double.

I'll feel happy enough with a cup double, but that's not necessarily going to offset a league and CL disappointment.

CL can be lost in a few minutes of madness. It's a tough competition to win. I fancy our chances.

Think the PL is a different kettle of fish. Think our lads will be bitterly disappointed if we don't win it.
    People can blow smoke up cities arse all they like but at the end of the day our lads will know they let a league title slip through.

Points dropped from winning positions, and poor results v Chelsea and City leaves us where we are today.
    Needing to beat City over 7 games.

We had the momentum, the squad and manager to muster up one hell of an effort.
    In the end it was a lucky enough draw.

Not too much mention regarding The second man city goal. I think Alison should have stopped that happening. he was lobbed from 6 yards out and saw what was developing too. Perhaps just to stand taller on that occasion or attack the ball sooner?
    First goal was a bit of a fluke but we were caught sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    He played a central attacking midfielder role behind our striker. With 2 wingers and a double pivot behind him.
    No he didn't, he wasn't central at all, it was very clear he was offset to the right, his position was a No8 controller, that's what he was doing

If you understand how City play, and that their 2 triangles of 3 is their 'metronome', they keep the ball in a lot of games by playing lots of passes, under no pressure, in their own half, in those 2 triangles, while they do this, their other players continually make runs and movement and they pick their moment they think they're best set to attack, if/when it breaks down, they go back to playing their triangles and start again

There is no doubt whatsoever our players were positioned as they were to stop City playing their triangles, it was what every team that has taken points off them has done, disrupted their triangles

Personally, I don't think it was the best way to try and do that, Spurs, Palace and Southampton all did it better using their three forwards or two forwards and one mid, and having a midfield 3 or 2 with 2 wing backs making it a four, which is what I thought we would do

I'm sure we'll have learned a lot from yesterday's game, I was incredibly surprised Jurgen was apparently surprised at how City played, I was expecting that when we'd set up to stop their triangles and we weren't following that up by pressing their players who were dropping to try and get involved
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    No he didn't, he wasn't central at all, it was very clear he was offset to the right, his position was a No8 controller, that's what he was doing

If you understand how City play, and that their 2 triangles of 3 is their 'metronome', they keep the ball in a lot of games by playing lots of passes, under no pressure, in their own half, in those 2 triangles, while they do this, their other players continually make runs and movement and they pick their moment they think they're best set to attack, if/when it breaks down, they go back to playing their triangles and start again

There is no doubt whatsoever our players were positioned as they were to stop City playing their triangles, it was what every team that has taken points off them has done, disrupted their triangles

Personally, I don't think it was the best way to try and do that, Spurs, Palace and Southampton all did it better using their three forwards or two forwards and one mid, and having a midfield 3 or 2 with 2 wing backs making it a four, which is what I thought we would do

I'm sure we'll have learned a lot from yesterday's game, I was incredibly surprised Jurgen was apparently surprised at how City played, I was expecting that when we'd set up to stop their triangles and we weren't following that up by pressing their players who were dropping to try and get involved
    Offset to the right , Jota was offset to the left, Mane was left, Salah was right.
    The double pivot was behind the 10

Kdb had Foden to his left, Jesus to his right, Sterling slightly ahead of him. He had a double pivot behind him too
    Kdb was more advanced centrally than Hendo.

Four most advanced players for each team:

Jesus
    Sterling
    Kdb
    Foden

Salah
    Jota
    Mane
    Hendo

In terms of interchangeable front 4s, there's an odd man out.
    A man who should arguably be further back getting the team ticking.

Pep for all his copying us, he might actually field Bobby & Diaz as his 8s over Thiago & Hendo.

Maybe he'd only field one.
    One released in a kdb rcm attacking role

It's a constant difference where a front 3 capable player plays in his midfield. Sometimes two as was yesterday.

In terms of front 3 capable players, as of now we have 5.
    Bobby & Diaz were on the bench.
    Neither Hendo or Thiago are front 3 type players.

We have 3 players who started in midfield yesterday.
    Who by your referencing would cover 2 spots. 6 and lcm.

A spot in the team for Bobby or Diaz - the other on the bench.

You can access which of Fab or Thiago are the least worst partner for Hendo in a double pivot, week by week. Having one of Fab or Thiago to replace each other when their performance fails Hendo.

You can keep writing essays all you like

Hendo was an advanced RCM No8 controller

KDB was playing a very obvious No10 free role roaming the length and bredth of the pitch anywhere he wished to
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 12th April 2022 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Not too much mention regarding The second man city goal. I think Alison should have stopped that happening. he was lobbed from 6 yards out and saw what was developing too. Perhaps just to stand taller on that occasion or attack the ball sooner?
    First goal was a bit of a fluke but we were caught sleeping.
    I'm still not convinced Jesus was onside, I have yet to see a proper view of it with the lines, at first glance he looked off to me as Trent's arm was closer to goal, just ahead of Jesus' shoulder/shirt line, but it's the shoulder/shirt line that counts, not the hand or fore arm and that part of Jesus looked closer to goal than Trent's when the ball was played

I'll rest my case with the media coverage including the Echo's of the game, it is absolutely astonishing how many people who profess to know about the game seemingly have no fucking clue whatsoever that City have been mixing it up, going back to front, medium to long and playing switches and developing their direct ability and the passing of all their players so they are able to contribute to it extensively over all of last season and this, I've been commenting on this for almost 2 full seasons now, it isn't something new they decided to implement in the game v us