Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    Enjoyed this weeks extended episode, but by Christ those battle scenes were a bit frenetic... made my bloody eyes ache.
    I loved the shot of Davos clinging on to his sword with his jaw on the floor while Arya was doing her ninja bit with the spear Gendry gave her (pun intended).

Well I agree the ice zombies were a sideshow, but why the hell were they even built up for so long if it was going to just end in a single large fight scene? It's been eight seasons just for that? Decent fight scene, even if a bit too…*well ordinary… but still. If this is it, I really feel let down.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Well I agree the ice zombies were a sideshow, but why the hell were they even built up for so long if it was going to just end in a single large fight scene? It's been eight seasons just for that? Decent fight scene, even if a bit too…*well ordinary… but still. If this is it, I really feel let down.
    The dead were always the distraction to weaken Jon and Danaerys' forces. The real 'evil' in the show has always been in living, human form.

Quote Originally Posted by Clungeman View Post
    The dead were always the distraction to weaken Jon and Danaerys' forces. The real 'evil' in the show has always been in living, human form.
    Has it though? This invasion has been 8 000 years in the making in universe. These guys are the stuff from which fairytales are made. And all they can muster is a limp fight scene where no important characters die. Really? What was their deal? Why were they attacking? They seemed at least half intelligent, but now they've been retconned into just being the next vanilla "I have no reason to be evil, I just am" villain. Now they really do feel like a distraction - what the hell was the point of even having them? I'd have loved some more time devoted to political maneuvering and intrigue if this was how it was going to end. Hell, why even have supernatural elements in the show at all? Like, you don't really need this stuff - just good dialogue and a decent plot. Both of which have been lacking for the past few seasons.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Maybe the Night King will comeback to life? .. I think we will find out about him. In one of the Brans flashbacks anyway..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Has it though? This invasion has been 8 000 years in the making in universe. These guys are the stuff from which fairytales are made. And all they can muster is a limp fight scene where no important characters die. Really? What was their deal? Why were they attacking? They seemed at least half intelligent, but now they've been retconned into just being the next vanilla "I have no reason to be evil, I just am" villain. Now they really do feel like a distraction - what the hell was the point of even having them? I'd have loved some more time devoted to political maneuvering and intrigue if this was how it was going to end. Hell, why even have supernatural elements in the show at all? Like, you don't really need this stuff - just good dialogue and a decent plot. Both of which have been lacking for the past few seasons.
    They weren't retconned though, back in season six (I think) we got a flashback through one of Bran's visions of the Children of the Forest creating the Night King as a weapon against the first men. Basically it explained that he was a WMD whose purpose was to protect the CotF from human threats, he became too powerful for them to control and (like any terminator worth its salt) would stop at nothing to complete his mission which was to destroy humanity.

I thought it was a bit of a curveball that more named characters didn't die, I was expecting Brienne, Gendry, Pod, and Grey Worm at least to be for the chop. I would be surprised if keeping them alive was just fan service (although I have never understood why that's supposed to be a bad thing - surely giving fans what they want is what fans want?) Maybe they're just being saved to die further down the line.

I kind of think they were retconned though - I mean yeah, we got the backstory but the guy displays intelligence. He's not an automaton - strategic thought went into some of his choices and yet he ends up a mindless drone with some faulty programming? Seems like a cop-out to me.

I do see your point about fan service, but this is just detrimental to the experience at this point - throwing out the baby with the bathwater sort of thing. Sure we'd like them to live, but not at the expense of changing the established universe rules - like the lack of plot armor. Can you imagine something like this happening in season two or three? Abysmal - you do dumb shite, you die, simple as that. Instead our main cast get away with being swamped by white walker numerous times completely fine - it just clashes with the rest of the show. I no longer feel any of them are in any danger whatsoever. And when they inevitably do kill some of the main cast off, it's going to feel yet again surprising and unfitting, as the rules have again been changed.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Whaaaaaaaat a show

That's all I have to say!

This.

That was seriously disappointing. After all the build up to the 'battle to save humanity' it ends in such a feeble way, never mind all the nonsensical bs taking place such as Jon and Daenerys flying off and doing sod all to help for no good reason, Jon being swamped by undead and saved/left unburnt by Daenerys swooping in and burning everything but Jon to a crisp (since when has dragon fire been laser like in it's accuracy?), Bran doing nowt but having a little jolly as a crow, but somehow is the NK's main threat/focus, with the latter having the tactical nous of Tim Sherwood after a dozen pints.

So, so disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    This.

That was seriously disappointing. After all the build up to the 'battle to save humanity' it ends in such a feeble way, never mind all the nonsensical bs taking place such as Jon and Daenerys flying off and doing sod all to help for no good reason, Jon being swamped by undead and saved/left unburnt by Daenerys swooping in and burning everything but Jon to a crisp (since when has dragon fire been laser like in it's accuracy?), Bran doing nowt but having a little jolly as a crow, but somehow is the NK's main threat/focus, with the latter having the tactical nous of Tim Sherwood after a dozen pints.

So, so disappointing.
    Glad I wasn't the only one to think that.