Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 242454647484950515253 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: Liverpool v Man City

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    His technique allowing us to be far more incisive. Doesn't take 2 touches when 1 is enough and will play a ball first time to gain advantage.
    I've just spat my coffee out you git, you really just make these things up off the top of your head don't, he takes 2 touches when we'd be in with 1 or he'd get a shot off with 1 all the fucking time, ALL THE FUCKING TIME, because for Elliott your weaker foot is something you can only use to stand on, fucks fucking sake man, that's half the problem with him, so so so desperately one footed

Only one key pass
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Not Elliott’s biggest fan but his performance on Sunday shows why stats alone can be so misleading. His movement was much better both in defending and at the other end. He was twice in a very good unmarked position in the opposition box where I think the occasion got to him and his first touch and defensively he got in the way and slowed down the opposition attacks on numerous occasions and though he didn’t win any of his 3 tackles remember he is a young lad playing against some of the best players in world football.
    Apart from that he wasn’t alone in failing to win challenges, we were poor as a team at that on the day.

Thought Elliott played his part on Sunday as they all did.
    Here's the thing, playing backs to the wall, with numbers behind the ball, it is far easier for everyone to defend well, because you have cover and strength in numbers, the issue with players ability to defend, read the game, understand who they have to pick up, when they have to stay our side of a player, when they have to stay with their man, that all increases massively and is all laid bare when you play more open and attacking as we do against most other opponents, the being open being because we have apparently lost all ability to coach players to press and counter press and positioning

We didn't play with our backs totally to the wall. It wasn't a Mourniho'esque performance at all. Which you would know, if you had actually watched the game...
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Thiago had a much better game than Elliot. Elliot 0 tackles and 0 intercepts runs around without impacting the game much at all in real terms.
    1st half his passing let him down and he should have moved it on to salah quicker on the edge of their box in a 2v1
    One of his better games, but still way off the pace imo.
    Thiago has been a major disappointment and let down with the ball ever since he arrived aside from that streak in 20-21 in which he played RCM and basically used his abilities to play the medium to longer balls Hendo usually did in his absence

Without the ball, he has been excellent, he's a major step up on Fab that's for sure, passing wise, a player of his experience should be able to understand when, where and how our players want the ball and just damned well use his abilities to deliver that for them as he did in the last 10 games of 20-21, but aside from that run, he has simply never done that, he's plays the balls for runs HE thinks they should be making and when HE thinks they should get it he's still making the play for Bayern in a Liverpool side whose movement and dynamics and type of players is very different

I do not care if it is unpopular, it's what he's been doing since he arrived, you see him play the wrong ball for a players run, I know where the player wants it, because I've watch every game this team has played for several seasons, cue camera cuts to Thiago telling the player where HE expected them to be

needs to use his skills to play the balls our players want, where they want them, when they want them, he'll never be a success here with the ball until he gets that into his head and stops trying to tell players who were very successful, more successful prior to his arrival what they should be doing - It is staggering arrogance

My only surprise with Thiago is that Steveo hasn't yet noticed this and started slagging off these players who were more successful before Thiago arrive telling us all how brilliant Thiago is and all our other players are making the wrong movement and runs and going too early when he seemingly can't play a ball when it's on
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 18th October 2022 at 02:10 PM.

What are all the references to Foden's mum? It must be something I missed. Without libelling anyone, can someone explain it to me?

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    We didn't play with our backs totally to the wall. It wasn't a Mourniho'esque performance at all. Which you would know, if you had actually watched the game...
    Well, I saw the last 21 minutes, the highlights I watched on BBC and Sky and the analysis all matched the BBC5live commentary of us flooding midfield and hitting a lot of long balls and the comments in the match thread matched that too, all these 4 or 5 things all matched the same picture, all told the same story, but that isn't how it was You carry on

😆

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I thought he did well, I believe had he not started we would have been far less of a threat. I think we. go behind. We don't have any ability to knit the play in the middle - especially so minus a Mane/Diaz as an outlet - not against a quality side like City. We had to maximise the Threat of Salah....and for me at least - Elliott did that pretty well.

I agree we need to see better - but considering his age - lack of games and the massive injury he took - I was impressed.
    He did. Just these are areas where he needs to improve his game.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    What are all the references to Foden's mum? It must be something I missed. Without libelling anyone, can someone explain it to me?
    I don't know but I think he was out with his mum, not in a romantic sense. And she might have got a slap, on a boxing night out or backstage.