PDA

View Full Version : Contracts and Squad

Insidious
1st November 2018, 09:31 AM
We look pretty healthy in this regard, really do - one or two you'd want to extend but there by-and-large isn't a pressing hurry.

Expiring Summer '19

James Milner - one to give an extra year or two to I'd feel, if he's willing. Excellent midfielder and handy utility option for injuries. I feel this sort of role is probably Henderson's long-term future.
Daniel Sturridge - Tricky this. £120,000 a week off the wage bill would free up funds to top up other contracts or pay a chunk of the wages of a top player (the "Fekir" we want) to come in.
Alberto Moreno - Don't foresee him having his contract extended. Time could very well be up for him.
Lazar Markovic - Finally!

Expiring Summer '20

Joel Matip - useful back-up, though wouldn't surprise me if we're aiming to recruit-from-within in time, or will enter the market again, as he does seem injury-prone and isn't that quick.
Adam Lallana (optional additional year) - if he could sort his injury problems out he could come back into being a very useful player, much like Wijnaldum. But feel it can go either way with him.
Nathaniel Clyne - very useful back-up and another on the important "home-grown" list, but we have Trent and Gomez. His age, Premier League experience and home-grown status make him someone we could command a healthy fee for - Zabaleta is 33 and West Ham have money, so who knows.
Divock Origi - seemingly not wanted and doesn't seem to be achieving the potential he was showing prior to that tackle against Everton. Really like him as a human being (go listen to him in interview, great chap) but probably best moving on to re-ignite his career.

Expiring Summer '21

Sadio Mane - the big one. I really hope we can tie him down.
Georginio Wijnaldum - very consistent for us these days. By all means we can always aspire to even higher, but I'm very happy with him in the side at present.
Andrew Robertson (optional additional year) - would be good to tie him down further.
Dejan Lovren - Klopp seems to really like Lovren, you'd imagine his contract will be being extended.
Simon Mignolet - suspect we'll hold onto him until his contract is done, though would be surprised if we extended, unless his wages were comparatively modest for the market and he was happy to be back-up, which he surely isn't.
Trent Alexander Arnold - would be good to tie him down further.

Expiring Summer '22

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - sincerely hope he's able to get to pre-injury levels. Great player. Long journey ahead for him. Thankfully we'll have options so he can ease his way back in. Don't see him being a first-team regular until November '19 - February '20 sort of time, which is rough for him. But if anyone can, he can.
Dominic Solanke - still feel like I know very little about the player in terms of what to expect with movement, work-rate and preferred methods of finishing. Summer '22 is nearly 4 years away, so a lot of time to assess.
Joe Gomez -

Expiring Summer '23 or later

Mohamed Salah
Roberto Firmino
Naby Keita
Virgil Van Dijk
Fabinho
Jordan Henderson
Xherdan Shaqiri
Alisson ('24)

^ Delighted to have all from this group tied down. Excellent work by the club.

We look in really good shape! Mane is the big one, but I have faith we'll get things sorted.

Insidious
23rd November 2018, 10:23 AM

Boosh.

Will edit OP later.

Balinkay
23rd November 2018, 01:11 PM
D'oh - forgot this one.

Maybe a mod can merge the threads if deemed fit.

Insidious
23rd November 2018, 05:21 PM
D'oh - forgot this one.

Maybe a mod can merge the threads if deemed fit.

Don't see a need to merge - the Mane contract thread will serve perfectly well for Sadio Mane discussion, whilst in here will serve for the lack of discussion it has generated so far :very_drunk:

Insidious
10th December 2018, 06:51 PM
And now Gomez!

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/329463-jurgen-klopp-joe-gomez-new-contract

Insidious
10th December 2018, 06:54 PM
Can't edit the OP for some reason -

Expiring Summer '19

James Milner - one to give an extra year or two to I'd feel, if he's willing. Excellent midfielder and handy utility option for injuries. I feel this sort of role is probably Henderson's long-term future.
Daniel Sturridge - Tricky this. £120,000 a week off the wage bill would free up funds to top up other contracts or pay a chunk of the wages of a top player (the "Fekir" we want) to come in.
Alberto Moreno - Don't foresee him having his contract extended. Time could very well be up for him.

Expiring Summer '20

Joel Matip - useful back-up, though wouldn't surprise me if we're aiming to recruit-from-within in time, or will enter the market again, as he does seem injury-prone and isn't that quick.
Adam Lallana (optional additional year) - if he could sort his injury problems out he could come back into being a very useful player, much like Wijnaldum. But feel it can go either way with him.
Nathaniel Clyne - very useful back-up and another on the important "home-grown" list, but we have Trent and Gomez. His age, Premier League experience and home-grown status make him someone we could command a healthy fee for - Zabaleta is 33 and West Ham have money, so who knows.
Divock Origi - seemingly not wanted and doesn't seem to be achieving the potential he was showing prior to that tackle against Everton. Really like him as a human being (go listen to him in interview, great chap) but probably best moving on to re-ignite his career.

Expiring Summer '21

Georginio Wijnaldum - very consistent for us these days. By all means we can always aspire to even higher, but I'm very happy with him in the side at present.
Andrew Robertson (optional additional year) - would be good to tie him down further.
Dejan Lovren - Klopp seems to really like Lovren, you'd imagine his contract will be being extended.
Simon Mignolet - suspect we'll hold onto him until his contract is done, though would be surprised if we extended, unless his wages were comparatively modest for the market and he was happy to be back-up, which he surely isn't.

Expiring Summer '22

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - sincerely hope he's able to get to pre-injury levels. Great player. Long journey ahead for him. Thankfully we'll have options so he can ease his way back in. Don't see him being a first-team regular until November '19 - February '20 sort of time, which is rough for him. But if anyone can, he can.
Dominic Solanke - still feel like I know very little about the player in terms of what to expect with movement, work-rate and preferred methods of finishing. Summer '22 is nearly 4 years away, so a lot of time to assess.

Mohamed Salah
Roberto Firmino
Sadio Mane
Naby Keita
Virgil Van Dijk
Fabinho
Jordan Henderson
Xherdan Shaqiri
Joe Gomez
Alisson ('24)

southernboy
10th December 2018, 07:07 PM
Excellent thread (worth bookmarking) and excellent news all round. We all know that contracts - to an extent - aren’t worth the paper they’re written on, but it’s great to have players committing to the club. I heard Klopp earlier on saying he had three years left on his contract. I wouldn’t mind him signing another extension.

Insidious
17th January 2019, 07:05 PM
CAN'T EDIT OP - ROBERTSON SIGNS 5-YEAR EXTENSION HENCE EDIT/ADDITION

We look pretty healthy in this regard, really do - one or two you'd want to extend but there by-and-large isn't a pressing hurry.

Expiring Summer '19

Expiring Summer '20

Expiring Summer '21

Expiring Summer '22

Joe Gomez -

Mohamed Salah
Sadio Mane
Roberto Firmino
Naby Keita
Virgil Van Dijk
Fabinho
Jordan Henderson
Xherdan Shaqiri
Andrew Robertson
Alisson ('24)

We look in really good shape! Mane is the big one, but I have faith we'll get things sorted.

TheDOC1979
17th January 2019, 07:27 PM
Are you one of the ITK’s sid? You knew Robertson was going to sign a 5 year contract and created this thread as a smokescreen. You sly old devil you

skyebo
17th January 2019, 08:21 PM
He deserves his new contract, hardly put a foot wrong since he came in.

miller0863
17th January 2019, 08:55 PM
His last performance at Brighton was flawless.

CCTV
17th January 2019, 09:09 PM
@Sid Solanke has been sold ;)

CCTV
17th January 2019, 09:11 PM
Mane was the big one but sorted now.

southernboy
17th January 2019, 11:00 PM
Robertson = best left back in the Premier League, maybe even Europe.

Joetan991
18th January 2019, 02:38 AM
How about Grujic ? Our future Captain

ianlfc
19th January 2019, 11:32 AM
Trent has now signed a new long term contract.
No wonder the squad all look so happy, they've nearly all upped they're wages in the past season.

teesred
19th January 2019, 11:52 AM
Robertson = best left back in the Premier League, maybe even Europe.

Carragher said the other day during the Everton Bournemouth game that Digne has been the best LB in this season. I just thought have a fucking word with yourself. Sonetimes he goes out of his way not to sound biased towards LFC and ends up sounding silly.

ianlfc
19th January 2019, 02:13 PM
Carragher said the other day during the Everton Bournemouth game that Digne has been the best LB in this season. I just thought have a fucking word with yourself. Sonetimes he goes out of his way not to sound biased towards LFC and ends up sounding silly.

Totally agree,There's nothing wrong about being biased about your own club. Fans can see right through it when pundits go out of there way to look neutral.

justincredible
19th January 2019, 02:42 PM
Totally agree,There's nothing wrong about being biased about your own club. Fans can see right through it when pundits go out of there way to look neutral.

Step forward Mr Jim Beglin.

Insidious
19th January 2019, 07:50 PM
CAN'T EDIT OP - TRENT ALEXANDER-ARNOLD SIGNS 5-YEAR EXTENSION HENCE EDIT/ADDITION

Expiring Summer '19

Expiring Summer '20

Nathaniel Clyne - looks to be on his way out of the club.

Expiring Summer '21

Expiring Summer '22

Joe Gomez - Would be good to tie him down.

Mohamed Salah
Sadio Mane
Roberto Firmino
Naby Keita
Virgil Van Dijk
Fabinho
Jordan Henderson
Xherdan Shaqiri
Andrew Robertson
Alexander-Arnold ('24)
Alisson ('24)

Doing well.

dicko1969
13th February 2019, 03:42 PM
How about Grujic ? Our future Captain

Alisson (2024), Virgil van Dijk (2023), Joe Gomez (2024), Trent Alexander-Arnold (2024), Andy Robertson (2024), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (2022), Jordan Henderson (2023), Fabinho (2023), Naby Keita (2023), Mohamed Salah (2023), Sadio Mane (2023), Roberto Firmino (2023) and Xherdan Shaqiri (2023) are all tied down for the long term.

Next our manager?

Steveo
13th February 2019, 08:37 PM
Alisson (2024), Virgil van Dijk (2023), Joe Gomez (2024), Trent Alexander-Arnold (2024), Andy Robertson (2024), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (2022), Jordan Henderson (2023), Fabinho (2023), Naby Keita (2023), Mohamed Salah (2023), Sadio Mane (2023), Roberto Firmino (2023) and Xherdan Shaqiri (2023) are all tied down for the long term.

Next our manager?

YESSSS!

That's some serious...serious bondage... :D

dicko1969
14th February 2019, 07:53 PM
YESSSS!

That's some serious...serious bondage... :D

Liverpool FC's record-breaking accounts showed that the club's wage bill rocketed by 26.4% to £263million.

For the 12 months to the end of May 2018, the Reds spent around 57.8% of their £455million turnover on salaries.

That hefty increase led to reports that Liverpool had leapfrogged

Manchester City (£260million) into second place behind

Manchester United (£296million) in the table of Premier League wages.

We employ around 800 staff
City 450, and outsource the rest

stevie harkness
14th February 2019, 07:56 PM
The scouts should pay for themselves.

ianlfc
14th February 2019, 08:21 PM
The scouts should pay for themselves.

Everyone interested what goes on in scouting young football talent should read "the nowhere men " it's about scouts in England finding the next big thing.
The money they get is buttons and they do it more for the love of the game.

CCTV
14th February 2019, 08:23 PM
Liverpool FC's record-breaking accounts showed that the club's wage bill rocketed by 26.4% to £263million.

For the 12 months to the end of May 2018, the Reds spent around 57.8% of their £455million turnover on salaries.

These figures for wages are a bit suspicious.

Man city the 3rd highest wage bill in the pl is simply unbelievable. Perhaps they have followed PSG in outsourcing their wage costs to a holding company.
Neymar as an example get paid 100kpw by PSG and the remaining 350kpw is not on PSG's wage bill.

stevie harkness
14th February 2019, 08:27 PM
Everyone interested what goes on in scouting young football talent should read "the nowhere men " it's about scouts in England finding the next big thing.

Thanks I'll have a look for it.

dicko1969
14th February 2019, 08:35 PM

Yep. My friend does it in Belgium and France and Holland and uk

dicko1969
14th February 2019, 09:01 PM
The likes of Lazar Markovic (seeing as the figures are based on 17/18), Alberto Moreno, Simon Mignolet, Divock Origi, Daniel Sturridge and Adam Lallana are back-up players who no longer have a place in the side but are on first team wages.

On top of this, James Milner is one of the highest paid players at the club, and his contract expires this summer, so in total there is the potential to free up around £600k on the wage bill which, bar Milner, won’t affect the first team at all.

CCTV
14th February 2019, 09:19 PM
The likes of Lazar Markovic (seeing as the figures are based on 17/18), Alberto Moreno, Simon Mignolet, Divock Origi, Daniel Sturridge and Adam Lallana are back-up players who no longer have a place in the side but are on first team wages.

On top of this, James Milner is one of the highest paid players at the club, and his contract expires this summer, so in total there is the potential to free up around £600k on the wage bill which, bar Milner, won’t affect the first team at all.

I've no source but Milner is one of our higher paid players on 150kpw. Believe only Alisson, VVD, Keita, Salah Firmino and Mane are around or above him.

Whereas at city you have a plethora of players on more money than them.

dicko1969
14th February 2019, 09:31 PM
Is Millie out of contract in the summer?

CCTV
14th February 2019, 09:36 PM
Is Millie out of contract in the summer?

Yep he, Moreno Sturridge a d Randall are out of contract this summer.
Rumours of Milner maybe moving to Leeds for his final years.

CCTV
14th February 2019, 09:38 PM
Matip Lallana Origi out of contract the following summer for us

dicko1969
14th February 2019, 09:40 PM
Yep he, Moreno Sturridge a d Randall are out of contract this summer.
Rumours of Milner maybe moving to Leeds for his final years.

Swap for Jack Clarke....

dicko1969
14th February 2019, 09:40 PM
Matip Lallana Origi out of contract the following summer for us

Can see all 3 seeing out their contract.

CCTV
14th February 2019, 10:05 PM
Can see all 3 seeing out their contract.

Think we might see 2 sold in the summer.

dicko1969
14th February 2019, 11:30 PM
Think we might see 2 sold in the summer.

Lallana if he is fit and wants to play 1st team or be in a squad.

Origi, on loan or stays.

Matip won't be offered a new contract.

So I really don't see any resale here tbh. In other words no transfer money in.

redebreck
15th February 2019, 01:09 AM

can't believe our wage bill is higher than City's

CCTV
15th February 2019, 03:04 AM
can't believe our wage bill is higher than City's

It's not really. Just the way they cook the books.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/manchester-city-ffp-allegations-examined-by-uefa-officials-1.3708552%3fmode=amp

dicko1969
15th February 2019, 03:06 AM
Cctv are you n4c?

CCTV
15th February 2019, 03:19 AM
Cctv are you n4c?

No, N4C is probably a much nicer person ;) even if he lacked some amount of certainty on issues most of the time :)

I'll add it to the list, N4C 19X CCTV- I, him and us - we hate vowels

dicko1969
15th February 2019, 03:22 AM
No previous name ...

CCTV
15th February 2019, 03:32 AM
No previous name ...

No. Joined when I was stuck in the styx

dicko1969
15th February 2019, 04:52 AM
N4c was ok. Always Mr stubborn, and always right haha...

19x interesting.
Kellyheroes
Dutch
Prince
Princess

Then the other forum... what happened to that?

This was nicknamed the kiddies forum.

teesred
15th February 2019, 10:17 AM
N4c was ok. Always Mr stubborn, and always right haha...

19x interesting.
Kellyheroes
Dutch
Prince
Princess

Then the other forum... what happened to that?

This was nicknamed the kiddies forum.

TTWR forum was good, it shutdown and I think some of the people from there started a new one. Big dutch, thats a blast from the past. Good guy.
N4c was spot on, always willing to listen to different views.
Prince. Nice guy too. Think he just got hacked off with things. He still writes for some fanzines I think. He started the ray of hope appeal for Ray Kennedy.

TheDOC1979
15th February 2019, 11:47 AM
Bringing it back to the OP ;)

Harry Wilson!! Is he good because he’s playing for Derby or is he going to be an outstanding player for us?

Where is he going to fit?

Wouldn’t want him to go on loan again. Give him the chance that was given to TAA, Gomez, Fowler, Owen and gerrard?

dicko1969
21st February 2019, 07:02 PM
Moving 10 players would reduce Liverpool’s wage bill by over £700,000 per week – over £36 million across the year – money that could then be spent on wages for three or four high-quality new signings.

Milner, Lallana, Ings, Karius, Sturridge, Origi, Lovren, Moreno, Clyne, Mignolet.

Possibly if lucky £60m + the sales of Wilson, Grujic, Kent perhaps another £40m .

£136m generated in sales and wages off the annual bill.

June and July another interesting summed lined up.

Aldo1988
21st February 2019, 07:41 PM
Moving 10 players would reduce Liverpool’s wage bill by over £700,000 per week – over £36 million across the year – money that could then be spent on wages for three or four high-quality new signings.

Milner, Lallana, Ings, Karius, Sturridge, Origi, Lovren, Moreno, Clyne, Mignolet.

Possibly if lucky £60m + the sales of Wilson, Grujic, Kent perhaps another £40m .

£136m generated in sales and wages off the annual bill.

June and July another interesting summed lined up.

No way would I sell Grujic and Wilson, hopefully they will be squad members next season along with Brewster.

dicko1969
21st February 2019, 07:56 PM
I agree. But it's the way it is. We build up players , young prospects only a tiny percentage come through.

Over the last 10 years how many?
Or over 40 years?

So many young players dont make it through for x y z reasons.

Sold, with buy back clause.

dicko1969
21st February 2019, 07:57 PM
I think Lyon about 3 years ago had like 22 home grown in a 30 Man squad.

Aldo1988
21st February 2019, 10:15 PM
I agree. But it's the way it is. We build up players , young prospects only a tiny percentage come through.

Over the last 10 years how many?
Or over 40 years?

So many young players dont make it through for x y z reasons.

Sold, with buy back clause.

I know we haven't brought many players through recently (TTA is the only one I can think of) but I reckon our youth set up is better run now so hopefully we should see more come through making the bench at least! I'd get rid of our 2 back up keepers and give one of the youth lads the spot on the bench. The Polish lad and the Irish lad looked decent in pre-season.

stevie harkness
21st February 2019, 10:38 PM
If we don't develop our own youth players we end up buying someone else's down the line. van Dijk was in nappies once.

dicko1969
21st February 2019, 11:51 PM
If we don't develop our own youth players we end up buying someone else's down the line. van Dijk was in nappies once.

You know it never works like that.
Even west ham the world centre of the academy doesn't do it anymore.

Which club in the premier league does it?
Championship?
PSG?
Juve?
Real...

LFC vs PFC
22nd February 2019, 12:28 AM
Must admit, I hadn't seen anything of Brewster before, but an attached video to the Glatzel one is below.
He looks like he could become our Rashford!

https://youtu.be/KLIi6NRowRE

Can't imbed, sorry.

stevie harkness
22nd February 2019, 07:45 AM
You know it never works like that.
Even west ham the world centre of the academy doesn't do it anymore.

Which club in the premier league does it?
Championship?
PSG?
Juve?
Real...

Not sure I follow, I was simply pointing out that every player was a kid once, and not good enough

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47283936

Clungeman
22nd February 2019, 08:16 AM
Not sure I follow, I was simply pointing out that every player was a kid once, and not good enough

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47283936

Players mature at different rates though, there are very few centre backs who are at their very best between 18 and 22, whereas a striker may well have his best years at that age.

With the VvD example there, he wasn't going to learn how to be the world's best centre back whilst playing against strikers in the Dutch league, or in the Scottish league. It wasn't until he was working week in and week out trying to figure out how to stop some of the best strikers in the world that he really learned his craft.

That's the main reason I'd be steering clear of De Ligt at the moment, especially for the sort of price that has been banded around. He looks very pretty on the ball when he has all the time in the world, and he seems like he can handle playing against forwards in the Eredivise easy enough. But to spend 75m on someone who is going to need coddling for a season or two is more than any sensible club should be paying.

Aldo1988
22nd February 2019, 08:35 AM
Players mature at different rates though, there are very few centre backs who are at their very best between 18 and 22, whereas a striker may well have his best years at that age.

With the VvD example there, he wasn't going to learn how to be the world's best centre back whilst playing against strikers in the Dutch league, or in the Scottish league. It wasn't until he was working week in and week out trying to figure out how to stop some of the best strikers in the world that he really learned his craft.

That's the main reason I'd be steering clear of De Ligt at the moment, especially for the sort of price that has been banded around. He looks very pretty on the ball when he has all the time in the world, and he seems like he can handle playing against forwards in the Eredivise easy enough. But to spend 75m on someone who is going to need coddling for a season or two is more than any sensible club should be paying.

This is why Gomez deserves a lot of credit, he was thrown in at left back when he had just arrived at 17 years old (I think he was 17). Has only had a few dodgy performances since, very bright future head if he can stay fit. Would like to see Hoever get more games in the same way but every game is too important now.

Insidious
25th February 2019, 12:06 AM

We're in quite a fortunate position in that regard in some ways - the potential for a lot of "free'd up" wages without the team suffering, which can go some way towards paying wages for quality - hopefully in a couple of positions!

Could end up getting our "Fekir" (whoever it is) role filled, could consider another defensive signing and/or could get an attacker - perhaps a "pure" striker with our front three playing behind - who knows.

dicko1969
26th February 2019, 05:58 PM
U23s won 2-0

Glatzel’s 24th of the season, and his second in four games for the U23s, and coming after signing his first professional contract with the club on Wednesday this further highlighted the striker’s potential.

Woodburn played 60+ minutes.

dannykos
26th February 2019, 08:29 PM
Glatzel deserves first team game time before Sturridge or Origi ever play again.

dicko1969
26th February 2019, 08:36 PM
I think you are right.

But a massive opportunity for him
And a massive gamble from Klopp.

Sturridge and Origi look so off the pace.

At 18yo Robbie and Owen were both doing it.

dannykos
26th February 2019, 09:51 PM
Playing Sturridge or Origi again is a more of a gamble if you ask me. This kid knows where the goal is - and you can’t teach that.

dicko1969
1st March 2019, 12:46 AM
Exactly

redebreck
1st March 2019, 10:11 AM
Playing Sturridge or Origi again is a more of a gamble if you ask me. This kid knows where the goal is - and you can’t teach that.

Divock at least seems to be improving a bit

dannykos
1st March 2019, 02:30 PM

Perhaps - but not convinced he’s a long term solution, so shouldn’t stand in the way of our academy prospects.

redebreck
1st March 2019, 04:50 PM
Perhaps - but not convinced he’s a long term solution, so shouldn’t stand in the way of our academy prospects.

agree, but could be a decent short-term solution.

Insidious
1st March 2019, 09:14 PM

How fast though?

On a scale of one to Aquilani?

dicko1969
6th March 2019, 02:33 AM
David Neres anyone?

reddownunder
6th March 2019, 08:30 AM
David Neres anyone?

Hakim Ziyech seems to be highly rated by some. Weren't we linked with him before?

dicko1969
6th March 2019, 11:43 PM
Grujic

Liverpool have “had several offers for the player, one thought to be for around £15 million, but have turned them all down flat,” with the plan to “see if he is ready in pre-season.”

Insidious
4th June 2019, 05:49 PM
glatzel deserves first team game time before sturridge or origi ever play again.

:d

Insidious
4th June 2019, 05:53 PM

Moreno and Sturridge will certainly be going. Lallana probably should.

Origi probably staying now - think Milner is worth his weight in gold around the dressing room.

justme
4th June 2019, 06:12 PM
So who remains from Rodgers signings?? Lovren/Lallana/Gomez/Mignolet/Oirgi/ That'about it. I think. May have missed someone.

dannykos
4th June 2019, 06:33 PM
:d

When did I post that?! Blimey! 🤨🤣

stevie harkness
4th June 2019, 09:37 PM
So who remains from Rodgers signings?? Lovren/Lallana/Gomez/Mignolet/Oirgi/ That'about it. I think. May have missed someone.

Milner, Grujic, Clyne, Firmino? Bogdan lol

Steveo
4th June 2019, 10:12 PM
Grujic was Klopp.. January 2016...

skyebo
4th June 2019, 10:24 PM
It's definitely Klopp's team now.

Nineteenx
4th June 2019, 11:46 PM
It's definitely Klopp's team now.

Yeah, that's why we've just won our first trophy ;)

Insidious
5th June 2019, 12:18 AM
Some players who are going or who could potentially be deemed to be worth selling to free up wages / receive transfer fees.

Mignolet - £60k per week
Karius - £25k per week
Lovren - £65k per week
Moreno - £40k per week (going/gone)
Clyne - £70k per week
Grujic - £15k per week
Lallana - £65k per week
Sturridge - £120k per week (going/gone)
Ings - £60k per week

Potentially £500k per week that could be free'd up. If you consider the idea of three players to contend for places in the first XI at, say, £130k per week each you'd have those wages covered.

Not that we'll be that extreme in our sales / letting go of players. But it does showcase that there is still potential there for being more efficient with our money.

Nineteenx
5th June 2019, 12:25 AM
Some players who are going or who could potentially be deemed to be worth selling to free up wages / receive transfer fees.

Mignolet - £60k per week
Karius - £25k per week
Lovren - £65k per week
Moreno - £40k per week (going/gone)
Clyne - £70k per week
Grujic - £15k per week
Lallana - £65k per week
Sturridge - £120k per week (going/gone)
Ings - £60k per week

Potentially £500k per week that could be free'd up. If you consider the idea of three players to contend for places in the first XI at, say, £130k per week each you'd have those wages covered.

Not that we'll be that extreme in our sales / letting go of players. But it does showcase that there is still potential there for being more efficient with our money.

Lallana's astonishingly on 110k and Lovren astonishingly on 100k

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/liverpool-f.c/payroll/

Ings is already gone, it was a kind of weird deal, a loan deal which becomes permanent at the end of the season, maybe broken down like that for their FFP, think he becomes Saints players on July 1st and they have to pay us the rest of the fee

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/liverpool-loan-danny-ings-to-southampton-ahead-of-20m/1c28lra0hq5wd16liv6tpau7i0

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/danny-ings-leaves-liverpool-reds-15011820

Rumour with Grujic is Edwards thinks it's best to loan him out for another season in the Bundesliga as he'll then be worth 40m next summer

All of those on your list can go

Insidious
5th June 2019, 08:53 AM

£210k.

That's the over-whelming majority of the wages we could be paying to, say, De Ligt and Aouar.

Mad.

Nineteenx
5th June 2019, 09:41 AM
£210k.

That's the over-whelming majority of the wages we could be paying to, say, De Ligt and Aouar.

Mad.

My thoughts exactly

redebreck
5th June 2019, 10:44 AM

agree, but could be a decent short-term solution.

Hmmmmm

Steveo
5th June 2019, 11:29 AM
If Marko Grujic goes it better be for big, stupid, silly money - the lad has HUGE potential.

https://youtu.be/1_TSNc8sEGE

Who do we have currently have in our midfield that is as assured on the ball and capable of dictating the tempo against a side of Bayern Munich's class? Qwalatee player

Clungeman
5th June 2019, 12:21 PM
If Marko Grujic goes it better be for big, stupid, silly money - the lad has HUGE potential.

100% agreed - I've been saying for a while now that Grujic offers something a little bit different from what we currently have for midfield options, and he does seem to have the talent to be able to play at a top level. The only small issue might be a work permit, can't we find him a nice scouse girl to get married to?

miller0863
5th June 2019, 02:43 PM
Jurgen will have reports and stats on every minute he plays while out on loan. We don’t often make mistakes on players these days.

dicko1969
5th June 2019, 05:47 PM

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/liverpool-f.c/payroll/

Ings is already gone, it was a kind of weird deal, a loan deal which becomes permanent at the end of the season, maybe broken down like that for their FFP, think he becomes Saints players on July 1st and they have to pay us the rest of the fee

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/liverpool-loan-danny-ings-to-southampton-ahead-of-20m/1c28lra0hq5wd16liv6tpau7i0

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/danny-ings-leaves-liverpool-reds-15011820

Rumour with Grujic is Edwards thinks it's best to loan him out for another season in the Bundesliga as he'll then be worth 40m next summer

All of those on your list can go

Gomez and TAA and Robertson those wages right?

Grujic signed recently a contract , wages?

Brewster still only 10k?

Nineteenx
5th June 2019, 08:01 PM
Van Dijk has said he wants to commit his future to Liverpool for longer than his current remaining 4 years, get it done, give big Virgil and new 5 year deal and a pay rise, he deserves it and it's brilliant he wants to commit himself to a new long term contract to be at the club for his very peak years

Insidious
6th June 2019, 12:56 AM
Van Dijk has said he wants to commit his future to Liverpool for longer than his current remaining 4 years, get it done, give big Virgil and new 5 year deal and a pay rise, he deserves it and it's brilliant he wants to commit himself to a new long term contract to be at the club for his very peak years

Get De Ligt in.

Alisson behind De Ligt and Van Dijk, with Fabinho in front - we'd concede very few goals.

Nineteenx
6th June 2019, 06:08 AM
£210k.

Mad.

Unfortunately looks like we're going to get a Sturridge and Moreno situation where certain types of players/personalities refuse to leave and just want to hang around and pick up wages they don't earn and know they won't get anything like if they move to heaven forbid, continue their careers as professional footballers at an appropriate level

Clungeman
6th June 2019, 07:21 AM
Unfortunately looks like we're going to get a Sturridge and Moreno situation where certain types of players/personalities refuse to leave and just want to hang around and pick up wages they don't earn and know they won't get anything like if they move to heaven forbid, continue their careers as professional footballers at an appropriate level

I don't hold that against them to be honest, I'd do the same thing myself. As far as those two are concerned, it's not like there's been a queue round the block of clubs wanting to take them off our books - so I don't really see what you would think the alternative was.

Voluntary redundancy doesn't tend to be a thing in football! :-P

Nineteenx
6th June 2019, 03:29 PM
I don't hold that against them to be honest, I'd do the same thing myself. As far as those two are concerned, it's not like there's been a queue round the block of clubs wanting to take them off our books - so I don't really see what you would think the alternative was.

Voluntary redundancy doesn't tend to be a thing in football! :-P

I guess it's the world we live in, if it were me, I'd want to go and play, as a footballer your career's very short. Still, their decision, i'm sure if they are surplus to requirements Jurgen will list them or loan them, I don't like the idea of players not doing what so many before them did and just wanting to hang on to the coat tails of an evolving side that's left them behind to pick up medals they've done nothing for, just don't want our recruitment and ability to move forward being held back by that, it's already created something of a problem of potential players thinking they might not get game time because players who desperately clung on and weren't a fit at all didn't

Jenson78
6th June 2019, 09:59 PM
Out Of Contract players Sturridge Moreno Randall Bogdan
I would get rid of the following Mignolet Lovren Lallana Clyne Camacho Ings Karius Kent Chirivella Ejaria Kane Ojo
Send both Grujic and Wilson out on loan.

Aldo1988
6th June 2019, 10:10 PM
Out Of Contract players Sturridge Moreno Randall Bogdan
I would get rid of the following Mignolet Lovren Lallana Clyne Camacho Ings Karius Kent Chirivella Ejaria Kane Ojo
Send both Grujic and Wilson out on loan.

Lallana and Ojo are going nowhere.

dicko1969
6th June 2019, 11:17 PM
I guess it's the world we live in, if it were me, I'd want to go and play, as a footballer your career's very short. Still, their decision, i'm sure if they are surplus to requirements Jurgen will list them or loan them, I don't like the idea of players not doing what so many before them did and just wanting to hang on to the coat tails of an evolving side that's left them behind to pick up medals they've done nothing for, just don't want our recruitment and ability to move forward being held back by that, it's already created something of a problem of potential players thinking they might not get game time because players who desperately clung on and weren't a fit at all didn't

Moreno and Lallana got themselves medals

Can you imagine Shanks, Fagan, Moran... saying "right if youve deserved one , take it" putting a box full of medals in the changing room

Lallana should look for a new club.

Perhaps a bench warmer, which he will accept tbh

dicko1969
6th June 2019, 11:36 PM
Alisson

TAA Gomez VVD Robertson

Oxlade Fabinho Keita

Salah Firmino Salah

GK
Henderson
Milner
Matip
Shaqiri
Origi
Brewster

Lovren Lallana

20 players

Plus the other youngsters

Not much needed really

Insidious
21st June 2019, 08:54 AM
Be interesting to see if we negotiate terms with Divock, or merely let him see out his contract out of respect for the player.

justme
21st June 2019, 03:05 PM
Be interesting to see if we negotiate terms with Divock, or merely let him see out his contract out of respect for the player.
If Origi gets to Christmas having played a few more games and bags a few, I can see him resigning.

redebreck
21st June 2019, 09:26 PM
If Origi gets to Christmas having played a few more games and bags a few, I can see him resigning.

re-signing, as in signing again?

Nineteenx
21st June 2019, 10:03 PM
Alisson

TAA Gomez VVD Robertson

Oxlade Fabinho Keita

Salah Firmino Salah

GK
Henderson
Milner
Matip
Shaqiri
Origi
Brewster

Lovren Lallana

20 players

Plus the other youngsters

Not much needed really

Not for me, Henderson's essential, helps get the very best out of Trent and Fabinho, not enough defensive quality and awareness from Ox for his to be starting on the right, that's why I'm so keen on Fernandes, better player to have if Hendo needs a rest or has a suspension of knock, who can also play up to 6 positions in our set up, Trent's improved defensively, but still needs that help and if it's not there then that affects Fabinho too

Nineteenx
21st June 2019, 10:08 PM
Allisson

Trent Matip Van Dijk Robertson

Henderson Fabinho Keita

Salah Firmino Mane

Easily our best 11 right now, Matip's well ahead of Gomez for me, moved up several levels towards the end of the season, outshone Big Virgil in a few games, far better awareness than Gomez, nicking the ball off players feet and making interceptions where Joe would have been having to slide in, big difference

miller0863
21st June 2019, 10:17 PM
There’s an argument to slot Ox in there ahead of Keita at this stage, if both fully fit.

Nineteenx
21st June 2019, 10:24 PM
There’s an argument to slot Ox in there ahead of Keita at this stage, if both fully fit.

I think that LCM slot will largely be occupied by Keita or Ox, we don't know how Ox will be yet, he was effective without being brilliant in his first season, the team have moved on A LOT last season when he wasn't playing, so he has it all to prove again imo

Not sure where Wij is fitting in at the moment, RCM remains an issue for me, because we struggled with counters down that side all season until Hendo moved there and that move also brought the very best out of Fabinho, at the moment it'd be Milner playing there for me if Hendo needed a rest or was unavailable for any reason, all our other players lack the defensive awareness, know how and responsibility to play there for me

skyebo
21st June 2019, 10:41 PM
I think that LCM slot will largely be occupied by Keita or Ox, we don't know how Ox will be yet, he was effective without being brilliant in his first season, the team have moved on A LOT last season when he wasn't playing, so he has it all to prove again imo

Not sure where Wij is fitting in at the moment, RCM remains an issue for me, because we struggled with counters down that side all season until Hendo moved there and that move also brought the very best out of Fabinho, at the moment it'd be Milner playing there for me if Hendo needed a rest or was unavailable for any reason, all our other players lack the defensive awareness, know how and responsibility to play there for me

Wijnaldum is fitting in instead of Keita imo. Been far more consistent than him over the games played. If Keita wants more game time next season he will have to prove himself by showing the consistency he had at Liepzig. That's why we bought him.

miller0863
21st June 2019, 10:53 PM
Keita didn’t look anything like his hype had suggested last season. Looked a bit lightweight at times and his constant niggling injuries made him look as though he could be a touch fragile for the rough and tumble of the Prem. Huge season coming up for him.

skyebo
21st June 2019, 10:55 PM
Keita didn’t look anything like his hype had suggested last season. Looked a bit lightweight at times and his constant niggling injuries made him look as though he could be a touch fragile for the rough and tumble of the Prem. Huge season coming up for him.

Indeed Miller.

Nineteenx
21st June 2019, 10:58 PM
Keita didn’t look anything like his hype had suggested last season. Looked a bit lightweight at times and his constant niggling injuries made him look as though he could be a touch fragile for the rough and tumble of the Prem. Huge season coming up from him.

There it is

miller0863
21st June 2019, 11:01 PM
To be fair, Ox’s injury record isn’t great either, he could really do with an injury free season himself.

Aldo1988
21st June 2019, 11:06 PM

Give him a break, he started to look like he was the player we all thought he was towards the end of the season. Some players take a bit of time to bed in, Jurgen knows best, we've seen in the recent past that Jurgen likes to bed his new signings in.

miller0863
21st June 2019, 11:13 PM
Don’t need to give him a break. He didn’t show much at all last season, he’s not a kid coming through. Every other outfield player Klopp has brought in, has managed to show his worth in his first season. If his second season pans out like his first we’ll be in Aquilani Territory.

justme
21st June 2019, 11:30 PM
To be fair Keita started to look much better at the end of the season..He didn't start much and had a lot of injuries. so had a stop start season.
If Firmino drops into midfield.a fit Oxlade will be vital he can break off Firmino centrally.Last season we struggled getting quick midfielders to break with pace beyond firmino.
Its amazing how we struggled with our midfielders for most of last season and we still finished with 97 points and won the European cup

dicko1969
21st June 2019, 11:33 PM
Allisson

Trent Matip Van Dijk Robertson

Henderson Fabinho Keita

Salah Firmino Mane

Easily our best 11 right now, Matip's well ahead of Gomez for me, moved up several levels towards the end of the season, outshone Big Virgil in a few games, far better awareness than Gomez, nicking the ball off players feet and making interceptions where Joe would have been having to slide in, big difference

Why? Because that started the last game?

Football isn't as simplistic as that

Aldo1988
21st June 2019, 11:40 PM
Don’t need to give him a break. He didn’t show much at all last season, he’s not a kid coming through. Every other outfield player Klopp has brought in, has managed to show his worth in his first season. If his second season pans out like his first we’ll be in Aquilani Territory.

Are you Joetan in disguise.

dicko1969
21st June 2019, 11:42 PM
Edit Keita

dicko1969
21st June 2019, 11:45 PM
To be fair Keita started to look much better at the end of the season..He didn't start much and had a lot of injuries. so had a stop start season.
If Firmino drops into midfield.a fit Oxlade will be vital he can break off Firmino centrally.Last season we struggled getting quick midfielders to break with pace beyond firmino.
Its amazing how we struggled with our midfielders for most of last season and we still finished with 97 points and won the European cup

Agreed

But also Keita in the league was a soft touch

He played well v Bournemouth h/a

Because it's a footballing team

One instance for example v Soton

Knocked off the ball way to easily

But then scores a goal

Confidence, injuries, all affect him

miller0863
21st June 2019, 11:52 PM
No Aldo mate I’ve been going to Anfield since 70/71. I just have a different opinion to you over a player. Hope that’s not too upsetting for you.

justme
22nd June 2019, 12:18 AM
I would say coming into midfield and hitting the ground running is usually the most difficult. As fullbacks you usually just run up and down the line sometimes coming inside to cover the centre backs. Forwards just have to cover the top of the pitch. defenders their own segments. But in midfield you are expected to run all over and be in the right positions all the time. so you don't get caught either to deep or to forward.
Time will tell if Keita is up to it. But he needs to given the time and play regular to get into form. which maybe difficult.

We seemed to have done extremely well In finding Fabinho. He kooks to be solid enough in the DF and looks composed. You always worry that a DF will cause issues while defending if he gets under pressure with the opposition.

miller0863
22nd June 2019, 12:25 AM
Yep Fabinho has been excellent, once he found his feet. No one is saying get rid of Keita, merely he has to do a lot better than he’s shown thus far.

Aldo1988
22nd June 2019, 12:59 AM
No Aldo mate I’ve been going to Anfield since 70/71. I just have a different opinion to you over a player. Hope that’s not too upsetting for you.

For someone who has been going to Anfield since the 70's you should know not to write a player off to early. I was born in the mid 70's and I've witnessed the best and worst of our club. I'd never write a player off after one season, especially one signed by a manager who is as special as Jurgen is and who get the club and City as he does.

By the way I'm not upset that you don't rate Kieta. I'm just disappointed in you for not giving him a chance.

Nineteenx
22nd June 2019, 02:55 AM
Why? Because that started the last game?

Football isn't as simplistic as that

It didn't start the last game, football is quite simplistic, but not as simplistic as some people think.

I refer to our achiles heel all season, a lack of creativity in midfield, and our only really weakness being regularly exposed on our right against park the bus teams.

Most seem to have forgotten that park the bus teams countering down our right was an issue all season until the midfield change in the second half v Southampton at St Marys, then it was magically fixed, as I had said prior to that change that it would be.

I know why that changed worked, it is simple and obvious, but most people are in denial that issue ever existed it would seem and want to straight away ditch our captain and put any number of players in the position that will immediately lead to the issue resurfacing. With any other of our midfielders at RCM, we don't win last season's Champions League, people are mentioning players getting beyond Firminho and quickly linking with the strikers, who assisted the first goal in the Champions League second leg? Scored one and assisted 5 in 9 games after that move? It's not rocket science, it works, it gives us the balance of defensive solidity down our right and right to centre and more assists from midfield and means we are able to press higher as a unit and stop balls for potential counters being played a lot of the time.

Certain things work for numerous interconnected reasons, that's what finding balance in certain areas is all about, the combined skills of Keita Fabinho and Henderson in midfield probably gives us our best balance, the potential for more goals and assists from midfield, hugely reduced threat on the counter and makes us even tougher to break down defensively and unless we make a signing in that area will likely be our best midfield next season.

It has incredible balance because the LCM and RCM both attack in different ways, so in combination with the full backs it gives us greater possibilities to score goals and for the midfield to provide assists and more points of attack. The LCM and RCM both have a lot of experience of playing as DM and playing box to box, so that gives more protection to our full backs, CB's and Fabinho and gives him more license to get higher up the pitch and get involved in attacks to, because he's secure in doing that with that balance.

So yes, it's very simplistic, we need our RCM to have exceptional defensive ability, responsibility and awareness as well as the ability to get forward, create assists, score goals, lead the press, know when to attack or when to cover Trent's runs and Fabinho's (all of which comes with that experience) as that facilitates the entire team playing better.

It's not as simplistic as sticking any old player in there you 'think' has greater attacking ability and sacrificing the balance and support for Trent and Fabinho that allows them to perform to higher levels I agree

U24-PF0_Zj4

miller0863
22nd June 2019, 09:01 AM
Grief.
Saying a player needs to up his game is hardly writing him off. Wind your neck in Aldo, this is a forum for people to exchange points of view, if we all sat here posting the same thing it would be pretty pointless.

Aldo1988
22nd June 2019, 09:04 AM
Grief.
Saying a player needs to up his game is hardly writing him off. Wind your neck in Aldo, this is a forum for people to exchange points of view, if we all sat here posting the same thing it would be pretty pointless.

The irony, telling me to wind my neck in then pointing out this is a foru where people come to exchange their views. All I'm saying is, stop slagging off players before they get a chance to prove themselves.

miller0863
22nd June 2019, 09:07 AM
You called me Joetan, I took offence.

Aldo1988
22nd June 2019, 09:32 AM
You called me Joetan, I took offence.

It was a joke, sorry if I offended you.

Balinkay
22nd June 2019, 09:46 AM
Don't think anyone is writing off Keita. The way I see it miller is absolutely right - if he doesn't improve in his second season, he should come under serious scrutiny.

For what it's worth, I think he will.

miller0863
22nd June 2019, 09:48 AM
Well that’s ok then.
Please feel free to unwind your neck.

justme
22nd June 2019, 09:57 AM
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/cadc8bb3-39fd-4034-8c25-4b6f737e1e93/dsfgx4-0fd3bbc7-7951-4ef5-b76a-df56052ad98f.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJ IUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQz NzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZT BkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6 W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2NhZGM4YmIzLTM5ZmQtNDAzNC04Yz I1LTRiNmY3MzdlMWU5M1wvZHNmZ3g0LTBmZDNiYmM3LTc5NTEt NGVmNS1iNzZhLWRmNTYwNTJhZDk4Zi5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOl sidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.woB9SyMzG dvtqO7pM74Vzn57uAvdAK5G5TjUbU0R9WU

wind your neck in

miller0863
22nd June 2019, 10:22 AM
Lollllz

Aldo1988
22nd June 2019, 10:22 AM
Well that’s ok then.
Please feel free to unwind your neck.

Neck unwound, drinking wine on my way to France for a break, might bump into Dicko if I'm lucky.

miller0863
22nd June 2019, 10:24 AM
Enjoy mate. Just don’t try and keep pace with dicko’s wine consumption if you do.

Aldo1988
22nd June 2019, 10:44 AM
Enjoy mate. Just don’t try and keep pace with dicko’s wine consumption if you do.

Cheers mate, I'd love to try and go drink for drink with Dicko but I think he enjoys red!

dicko1969
22nd June 2019, 12:30 PM
You say about our lack of creativity

But Fabinho and Henderson made chances. Stats prove it.

dicko1969
22nd June 2019, 12:32 PM
Cheers mate, I'd love to try and go drink for drink with Dicko but I think he enjoys red!

I haven't had red wine for some time.

Beer through the summertime.

Wine for Autumn/ winter

Would be a pleasure to have a beer with you both.

Where are you going to in france?

Ferry / fly?

dicko1969
22nd June 2019, 12:34 PM
So 19x

Where does Fernandes fit into your plans for LFC?

Aldo1988
22nd June 2019, 01:52 PM
I haven't had red wine for some time.

Beer through the summertime.

Wine for Autumn/ winter

Would be a pleasure to have a beer with you both.

Where are you going to in france?

Ferry / fly?

I'm off to Lille, will be happy to meet up for a drink or two if you are in the vicinity.

dicko1969
22nd June 2019, 02:27 PM
I'm off to Lille, will be happy to meet up for a drink or two if you are in the vicinity.

Nice town Lille
Friendly
They like biere Blanche

Pm me

Nineteenx
22nd June 2019, 03:58 PM
So 19x

Where does Fernandes fit into your plans for LFC?

Everywhere, extremely versatile player, LCM, RCM, 10 for Firmino when it suits, with his delivery with either foot can almost certainly do a very decent job at LFWD or RFWD when needed to and with his younger career as a midfield enforcer can almost certainly play DM too once he's settled. That's six positions and Jurgen does love versatility in players. As I've stated before, it's a tricky one, because we need such a player long term and that amount of versatility with quality is a very rare thing indeed, the issue is, that while Lallana and Shaqiri are 'hanging on' to the rest of the squads coat tails, we don't necessarily need him this season, but he won't be available next summer and it is highly unlikely there'll be another such player available for some time.

Milner we need to keep for as long as he can perform at the levels he does and because of his leadership and experience, but he's what? 33 now? Hendo's 29 now, Bobby 29, so fast forward a season and Lallana and Shaqiri will have gone, maybe Milner, Hendo will be 30, Bobby 30 and we have an opportunity to bring in a player that is an excellent fit, has more creativity and goalscoring potential and set piece ability from direct free kicks and he has the defensive awareness and responsibility we need and he is another who has captained his club side, so it's a no brainer for me, he gives us everything we need and that we'd lose a lot of when Milner goes and as Henderson and Bobby age.

And as we've seen with Lallana, Lovren, Shaqiri and Sturridge, when the team evolves it can reach levels that are above that of some players who were previously very good at the level we were at, but not all the players are able to continually step up and raise their games to higher levels, Wij in general has been excellent, but his returns have dwindled season on season as our levels have risen, so it's possible Wij could be only 'a good squad player' by next summer.

Everyone seems to agree we can't stand still, that involves planning for the long term future and the not too distant future and Fernandes fits in perfectly, he's just a season too early with Lallana and Shaqiri clinging on, but Henderson and Milner are pretty rare and I'm always looking for players thinking who can possibly come in and replace what they offer in the long term and there just aren't any players out there who fit the bill, the only one for me who does is Fernandes

skyebo
22nd June 2019, 04:23 PM
We don't buy players as long term replacements anymore. That was in the good old days when we dominated and players like Hansen McDermott Nicol and others spent time in the reserves, learning the Liverpool way. When we buy now, they don't wait that long to get their chance. Also, the need wasn't as great back then as we were successful.

Nineteenx
22nd June 2019, 04:36 PM
We don't buy players as long term replacements anymore. That was in the good old days when we dominated and players like Hansen McDermott Nicol and others spent time in the reserves, learning the Liverpool way. When we buy now, they don't wait that long to get their chance. Also, the need wasn't as great back then as we were successful.

Yes but he wouldn't be waiting for a chance, he can improve our midfield and options for several positions immediately and it's important that whatever positions he is used in he gets the experience of learning from the players already doing certain roles

One of the issues a lot of clubs have since the reserves as it was has gone is they let a player go before bringing in a replacement, you can see it at Real and Barca and Bayern, then they're faced with a suitable player being available, Barcelona really struggling on that front AND like at Barca with Coutniho's move, that player being immediately under pressure to perform at the levels of the player he replaced, as well as a huge transfer fee, it's just plain dumb

Insidious
26th June 2019, 04:03 PM
Little update.

Expiring Summer '20

Joel Matip - proven to be very useful, though wouldn't surprise me if we're aiming to recruit-from-within in time, or upgrade via the market. Really impressed once settled beside Van Dijk for prolonged spell.
Adam Lallana (optional additional year) - suspect he'll see out his contract but nothing further.
Nathaniel Clyne - looks to be on his way out of the club.
Divock Origi - Barcelona and Tottenham exploits mean he may see out his contract, doubt we'll extend it.

Expiring Summer '21

Dejan Lovren - suspect he will see out his contract, but I'd personally welcome a buyer with a view to continual improvement of our options.
Simon Mignolet - suspect he'll depart when we can attract a buyer, with a view to getting a keeper that suits our needs that little bit better. To his credit seems to have accepted that Alisson is at a much higher level and seems quiet in terms of not complaining about playing time.

Expiring Summer '22

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - sincerely hope he's able to get to pre-injury levels. Great player on his day.

Mohamed Salah
Sadio Mane
Roberto Firmino
Naby Keita
Virgil Van Dijk
Fabinho
Jordan Henderson
Xherdan Shaqiri
Andrew Robertson
Alexander-Arnold ('24)
Alisson ('24)

Insidious
4th August 2019, 09:53 PM
Mignolet looks set to be leaving for a fee of roughly £8m.

Think he was on £60,000 per week as well.

redebreck
4th August 2019, 10:44 PM
Mignolet looks set to be leaving for a fee of roughly £8m.

Think he was on £60,000 per week as well.

where to?

Insidious
4th August 2019, 10:53 PM
where to?

FC Brugges. Mentioned it in more detail in the Summer thread.

southernboy
17th August 2019, 02:13 PM
Curtis Jones has signed a 5 year contract. Personally, I’m not sure he’ll ever be good enough but time will tell.

Balinkay
17th August 2019, 02:29 PM
Curtis Jones has signed a 5 year contract. Personally, I’m not sure he’ll ever be good enough but time will tell.

It's probably mostly to protect his value.

RedNoodle
17th August 2019, 02:34 PM
It's probably mostly to protect his value.

More top work from FSG!

Aldo1988
18th August 2019, 03:40 PM
More top work from FSG!

Who do you want as our new owners?

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 05:00 PM
More top work from FSG!

Is it not? We got like 15m for Ibe and Solanke doing this exact thing.

RedNoodle
18th August 2019, 05:18 PM
Is it not? We got like 15m for Ibe and Solanke doing this exact thing.

For them? Yes. For 'us'? Not so much.

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 05:23 PM
For them? Yes. For 'us'? Not so much.

Getting more money from a player than you normally would is never bad, surely?

Even if I put on my tinfoil hat, I'd argue that if they wanted to drain the club of all its money at a steady rate (say 90% go to them), the more money there is, the more remains for the club.

Now obviously I wouldn't do that as they've assembled the best Liverpool squad in thirty years, but I will try to understand your thinking on the matter.

Steveo
18th August 2019, 06:24 PM
they've assembled the best Liverpool squad in thirty years.

Really..? I mean really..?

Well I guess we will be fine and dandy whoever is in charge then, who needs Klopp with such dynamic owners? That bang average squad of September 2015 was obviously the embryonic stage of the best Liverpool squad in 30 years.. :D

Robertson would naturally have gone on to be World Class whoever he played for - as for Bobby - he was just pretending to be ordinary in the late summer of 2015... Leave it to the Boston stranglers I say,. It’s all about that scientific approach eh - those eagle eyed statisticians...They can spend less than Bournemouth and build the best squad around.. We can relax even if Klopp won’t sign that extension guys and gals.

Sorry Bali - but that nugget really did make me chuckle...

RedNoodle
18th August 2019, 06:29 PM

Even if I put on my tinfoil hat, I'd argue that if they wanted to drain the club of all its money at a steady rate (say 90% go to them), the more money there is, the more remains for the club.

Now obviously I wouldn't do that as they've assembled the best Liverpool squad in thirty years, but I will try to understand your thinking on the matter.

'They' have assembled very little. Klopp plus the assistance from the likes of Coutinho has assembled a very good first XI, but he hasn't been given enough to purchase as good a first XI as he/we could/should be allowed to, and definitely not a quality squad worthy of the current CL winners and back to back finalists.

Klopp has a net spend pa of £30m. Given our position, our record revenues, the areas of our team/squad that obviously need improving and our lack of activity suggests that Klopp isn't being given the commensurate funds to address issues which a manager of his undoubted quality and intellect would no doubt be clearly able to see. If a limit has been put on what he'll be given to spend each season, it doesn't matter (within reason) who we sell, and for what, as Klopp isn't getting that money to spend whether it's £15 or £15m. Is getting more money bad? No. Is it good? Certainly for our owners, not so much for us/Klopp who'd like to be able to reinvest that money on top of what he/we've earned back into the team/squad.

You obviously think our resurgence is down to FSG. I think it's more down to the man they hired as a result of their desire to try and be successful on the cheap. It was lucky for them/us that Klopp was available as I dread to think where we'd be under any other manager if they were only given £30m a year to spend.

CCTV
18th August 2019, 06:46 PM

Come on Bali, everyone knows you sear and cook a steak in it's own juices, no need for oil to be added.

Aldo1988
18th August 2019, 06:55 PM
'They' have assembled very little. Klopp plus the assistance from the likes of Coutinho has assembled a very good first XI, but he hasn't been given enough to purchase as good a first XI as he/we could/should be allowed to, and definitely not a quality squad worthy of the current CL winners and back to back finalists.

Klopp has a net spend pa of £30m. Given our position, our record revenues, the areas of our team/squad that obviously need improving and our lack of activity suggests that Klopp isn't being given the commensurate funds to address issues which a manager of his undoubted quality and intellect would no doubt be clearly able to see. If a limit has been put on what he'll be given to spend each season, it doesn't matter (within reason) who we sell, and for what, as Klopp isn't getting that money to spend whether it's £15 or £15m. Is getting more money bad? No. Is it good? Certainly for our owners, not so much for us/Klopp who'd like to be able to reinvest that money on top of what he/we've earned back into the team/squad.

You obviously think our resurgence is down to FSG. I think it's more down to the man they hired as a result of their desire to try and be successful on the cheap. It was lucky for them/us that Klopp was available as I dread to think where we'd be under any other manager if they were only given £30m a year to spend.

Who would you like as our owners?

dicko1969
18th August 2019, 07:06 PM
Pretty sure if Klopp had a target, then he would have got him.

First XI is very strong.
The squad is strong too.

If they weren't they wouldn't have got to not one , but 2 CL finals in 2 seasons.

I guess Klopp and the owners know better than us armchair, computer, Android bashing folk.

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 07:20 PM
@Noods @steveo -

so you're saying Abramovich and the Arabs handle their transfers personally? Scout the players, get in touch with them… that sort of thing? Because if that's not it, what the hell are you talking about? Businessmen delegating work to their employees shocker! How dare they?!

Come on guys - there's plenty to whinge and moan about FSG (including the low net spend and the stadium expansion, as you so eloquently pointed out), but this is not one of those things.

Aslo yes, it might pain both of you, but those eagle eyed statisticians are the ones presenting Klopp with transfer targets. It's not the boot room, it's not the scouts. It's several maths phds. As I've said many times - with enough data and knowhow how to use it, you don't actually need to watch a ball be kicked to be more informed than the best scouts in the land.

@Noods - FSG hired Klopp. Do you expect Henry to sit in the dugout and manage the team himself?

Also is this, or is this not the best LFC squad since the glory days? It's certainly the best I've seen, but I am very young. Are we or are we not challenging for the biggest trophies in football at the moment? Last season we certainly were.

Edit: Your attitude towards them is genuinely absurd. You bash FSG for the dumb shite they do, yet refuse to give them any credit for anything good they come up with! Why? Praise them when they get something right and criticise them when they deserve it. That's what we try to do with players, no? Why not apply the same standards to our owners? Did they fuck your wives or something?

And signing this young player on a longer contract is a win in anyone's book!

CCTV
18th August 2019, 07:23 PM
Pretty sure if Klopp had a target, then he would have got him.

First XI is very strong.
The squad is strong too.

If they weren't they wouldn't have got to not one , but 2 CL finals in 2 seasons.

I guess Klopp and the owners know better than us armchair, computer, Android bashing folk.

Didnt you say he was after 2 targets according to your hearings. Think you said Deligt was one but given those wages can see why he passed.
The other surely Mbappe who I suspect hes waiting on till 2020.

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 07:24 PM
Didnt you say he was after 2 targets according to your hearings. Think you said Deligt was one but given those wages can see why he passed.
The other surely Mbappe who I suspect hes waiting on till 2020.

We need Jasper and Fulby!

CCTV
18th August 2019, 07:24 PM
Who would you like as our owners?

Be great if Kenny could buy the club

CCTV
18th August 2019, 07:25 PM
We need Jasper and Fulby!

Exactly, the forum oils.

CCTV
18th August 2019, 07:27 PM
Be great if N4C could come back too and settle the disputes about the coffers and FFP

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 07:30 PM
Be great if N4C could come back too and settle the disputes about the coffers and FFP

Sid's doing his best, but noone could match n4c's tenacity when it came to FFP.

Shame he left, think it got a bit too toxic for him at some stage. Might enjoy it more now if he returns, though I doubt he would do so.

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 07:39 PM
Ok, I'm being too harsh - of course you praise them when they do something decent. But these past few posts in the thread have been insultingly shallow by you guys' standards.

ianlfc
18th August 2019, 07:49 PM
Sid's doing his best, but noone could match n4c's tenacity when it came to FFP.

Shame he left, think it got a bit too toxic for him at some stage. Might enjoy it more now if he returns, though I doubt he would do so.

The thing I found mad about N4C leaving was how he just stopped posting. Especially for someone who seemed to be on here 24/7.
And seemed a really decent fella who's opinions were and are sadly missed.

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 07:51 PM
Maybe he was a bit addicted - he did seem to never be offline.

Think he'd just got married at the time, so the wife might have made him choose. :D

skyebo
18th August 2019, 08:11 PM
N4C was a good guy, did not always agree with him, but that's what a forum's about.

justme
18th August 2019, 08:15 PM
Those were the days.. Not seen north wales red (I think that was his name) for a long while either..

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 08:26 PM
He made a brief return as Toxteth O'Grady or something similar. Think RC had some bone to pick with him and contributed to nwr leaving for pastures greener.

Steveo
18th August 2019, 08:27 PM
@Noods @steveo -

so you're saying Abramovich and the Arabs handle their transfers personally? Scout the players, get in touch with them… that sort of thing? Because if that's not it, what the hell are you talking about? Businessmen delegating work to their employees shocker! How dare they?!

Come on guys - there's plenty to whinge and moan about FSG (including the low net spend and the stadium expansion, as you so eloquently pointed out), but this is not one of those things.

Aslo yes, it might pain both of you, but those eagle eyed statisticians are the ones presenting Klopp with transfer targets. It's not the boot room, it's not the scouts. It's several maths phds. As I've said many times - with enough data and knowhow how to use it, you don't actually need to watch a ball be kicked to be more informed than the best scouts in the land.

@Noods - FSG hired Klopp. Do you expect Henry to sit in the dugout and manage the team himself?

Also is this, or is this not the best LFC squad since the glory days? It's certainly the best I've seen, but I am very young. Are we or are we not challenging for the biggest trophies in football at the moment? Last season we certainly were.

Edit: Your attitude towards them is genuinely absurd. You bash FSG for the dumb shite they do, yet refuse to give them any credit for anything good they come up with! Why? Praise them when they get something right and criticise them when they deserve it. That's what we try to do with players, no? Why not apply the same standards to our owners? Did they fuck your wives or something?

And signing this young player on a longer contract is a win in anyone's book!

This has more holes than a Swiss Cheese.

I can’t speak for Noods but as far as I am aware I have given FSG all the credit I believe they deserve. I have credited them with improving ( and boy they needed to) - learning on the job and landing the mighty Klopp. I credited them when the Main Stand was finally built and again when they indicated they would make good on the Anfield Road expansion. I gave them massive credit when Virgil Van Dijk was finally signed but tempered it with the sale of Coutinho seemingly to fund it and other purchases. The fact that I believe they should and could do more is a valid one and I make no apology for it..

You want to credit them with assembling the greatest Liverpool side in 30 years - I find that laughable and an affront to Klopp's ability to create a team far greater than the sum of its parts. For you it’s those Maths Phd’s Though.. :D

I think you may be guilty of swallowing the rabid ravings of the resident nutjob stalking the threads.

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 08:59 PM
Who should I credit? Obviously Klopp (WHO WAS HIRED BY THEM) played his role, as did the brilliant statisticians behind the scenes, who were also hired by them. I'll ask you again - do you want Henry to leave his office and go scout players?

I guess the stadium redevelopment had nothing to do with our owners either, eh? The builders did it on their own…

As for the maths phds - I'm sure it was different back in the day, but that's how it works now - you crunch the numbers and find the best player. I'm sorry it spoils your romantic view of the game, but football's far more a science than an art.

Face it steveo, just claiming Klopp is the best thing since Jesus, which tbf he kind of is, and FSG are to be given no credit for the extraordinary talent he has at his disposal is as laughable as saying City's owners in no way contributed to the way their squad looks and it's all down to Pep.

Honestly, it's hard to believe you'd stand by something so absurd.

miller0863
18th August 2019, 09:00 PM
Klopp isn’t the quickest Liverpool manager ever to accumulate 300 points by accident.

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 09:01 PM
Also namecalling Taksin is really classy. Way to get a dig in at him, even though we've been talking about you obsession with FSG for years before he started posting more regularly.

Steveo
18th August 2019, 09:03 PM
Why do I feel like I am having a conversation with Rain man?

Steveo
18th August 2019, 09:05 PM
Also namecalling Taksin is really classy. Way to get a dig in at him, even though we've been talking about you obsession with FSG for years before he started posting more regularly.

Taksin deserves every name I have called him and more. He is deliberately trying to cause a beef where there is none. He got what he deserved Bali...

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 09:10 PM
Taksin deserves every name I have called him and more. He is deliberately trying to cause a beef where there is none. He got what he deserved Bali...

Is he though? I've certainly not seen that. Talk to the guy - open a thread, have a civilised discussion! I'd love to read it, as I'm sure everyone would. No more of this evasive cross-thread snideyness. Just get it out and move past it so the forum doesn't get clogged up in every thread with this.

Also I'm not sure who's Rain man - was he the autistic maths genius? If so, calling me that is a grave offence to all autistic people around the world. :D

But back to the point - do you or do you not want Henry to get down from Boston and coach the squad himself?

Steveo
18th August 2019, 09:14 PM
Klopp isn’t the quickest Liverpool manager ever to accumulate 300 points by accident.

True - it isn’t all down to Klopp and to be fair that would be a very daft position take. The owners have to take some credit even if only for employing him - but more than that for creating the environment. This is something that I have never challenged at any point. What I do challenge is the fact that our success is down to them. I personally believe it is mostly down to Klopp. The guy who won to titles and challenged Bayern with Guardiola and who took them to a CL final beating Madrid or was it Barca 4 mil in the process?

Klopp was well known as a manager who could challenge the bet with a conservative budget.

Steveo
18th August 2019, 09:17 PM
Is he though? I've certainly not seen that. Talk to the guy - open a thread, have a civilised discussion! I'd love to read it, as I'm sure everyone would. No more of this evasive cross-thread snideyness. Just get it out and move past it so the forum doesn't get clogged up in every thread with this.

Also I'm not sure who's Rain man - was he the autistic maths genius? If so, calling me that is a grave offence to all autistic people around the world. :D

But back to the point - do you or do you not want Henry to get down from Boston and coach the squad himself?

It was a joke Bali - Rain man was autistic - my older Brother happens to be too (Aspergers). It’s nothing to be ashamed of either.

As for Henry - I could t care less what he does as long as he facilitated whatever Klopp wants.. :D

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 09:28 PM
I know what you mean - my best mate is "somewhere on the spectrum" (he's not been more specific). Just one of those things. Not a lot can be done as far as I know.

True - it isn’t all down to Klopp and to be fair that would be a very daft position take. The owners have to take some credit even if only for employing him - but more than that for creating the environment. This is something that I have never challenged at any point. What I do challenge is the fact that our success is down to them. I personally believe it is mostly down to Klopp. The guy who won to titles and challenged Bayern with Guardiola and who took them to a CL final beating Madrid or was it Barca 4 mil in the process?

Klopp was well known as a manager who could challenge the bet with a conservative budget.

Oh would it now? Good to hear.

Now what exactly are our owners meant to do more than continuously improve the squad and hire the best people for their respective jobs at the club and let them work their magic? I.e. the maths phds and Klopp? What exactly more can they do?

The first answer you can give is "BIGGER STADIUM", which is fair enough. I'm rather suspicious of their new course when it comes to the expansion.

The second is "MOAR NET SPEND". Which, again, is fair enough. But it is also important to note that net spend is a means to an end. Namely assembling a good squad. This is the BEST squad this club has had in 30 years (I gather you agree, since you've not actively objected to that statement). It's not developing as fast as we'd like, but its development since Klopp and Edwards have come in has been about as good as it gets in football. I can't think of a single club that has developed their squad so much in that time in the entire division. Can't think of one on the continent either, but I do have less of an overview there.

It's all good steveo - we're back challenging for things and have a good manager. Times are not perfect, but they're pretty great. The big evil Yank isn't hiding in your closed getting ready to steal your pic-i-nic basket. :D

Steveo
18th August 2019, 09:44 PM
But who is continuously improving the squad and when did that start? For me it started with the patience of Klopp in 2015.

Best squad in 30 years is very debatable. The squad of 2009 in Klopp’s hands? Hmm I honestly don’t know - midfield was in a different class altogether. Mascherano Alonso Gerrard ...!!!! Front line was comparable - less of a dynamic cast in babel and Kuyt either side of Torres but more of an out an out striker than any we have now - very effective. Aurelio, Carra, Skrtel and Arbeloa in front of Reina... That’s a great team there.. In the hands of Klopp - I honestly do not know which squad is better but my hunch is 2009. Rated number 1 side in europe.

As for how far and fast we have come since 2015 - well - what’s the obvious major change?

teesred
18th August 2019, 09:45 PM

Not a squad worthy of CL winners and back to back finalists.........
Yet theyve done both those things.
Weve won the CL, pretty much the pinnacle of world club football. It wasnt a lucky win either, it was fully desereved beating 3 of thr best in europe.
I genuinley dont see why you and Steveo have such issues with FSG. Aside from go down the City route which we cant and most fans wouldnt want theres not a lot else they can do better.

Steveo
18th August 2019, 09:56 PM
Just for the sake of making people think along different lines.

Here’s one for all of you suggesting our squad is the greatest thing since sliced bread... Brendan Rodgers - with this team - are we coming within a point of City and making back to back CL finals?

Here’s another one.. Brendan Rodgers team - 2014 - Alisson in goal... Who wins the league....?

Or This - same year and manager - we buy a Salah instead of him going to Chelsea... Who wins the league?

All hypothetical but just small indicators to where I believe a little
More could have made the difference. I could well be hopelessly wrong but I do believe that owners who were more involved and passionate we would have been that little bit less safe and perhaps might have won a 19th.

For the record - I don’t hate FSG and I don’t believe they are evil in any way - just a bit slow and little too conservative.

teesred
18th August 2019, 10:00 PM
What exactly is your point? Klopp, players,FSG. All 3 contribute. Under different owners Klopp may not be doing as well. FSG are the ones whove turned the club around off the pitch, Without that theres no success on the pitch.

Steveo
18th August 2019, 10:06 PM
The point is clear tees. I think a bit more in the market at crucial times would likely have got us a 19th or at least here with Klopp sooner.

Now with City where they are entrenched it is doubly difficult. I am talking about missed opportunity as I see it.

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 10:17 PM
But who is continuously improving the squad and when did that start? For me it started with the patience of Klopp in 2015.

As for how far and fast we have come since 2015 - well - what’s the obvious major change?

FSG are - they run the club. Obviously they modified their strategy when Klopp joined.

Best squad in 30 years is very debatable. The squad of 2009 in Klopp’s hands? Hmm I honestly don’t know - midfield was in a different class altogether. Mascherano Alonso Gerrard ...!!!! Front line was comparable - less of a dynamic cast in babel and Kuyt either side of Torres but more of an out an out striker than any we have now - very effective. Aurelio, Carra, Skrtel and Arbeloa in front of Reina... That’s a great team there.. In the hands of Klopp - I honestly do not know which squad is better but my hunch is 2009. Rated number 1 side in europe.

The midfield was better back then, of that there is no doubt.

But you're seriously comparing any of the rest of the starting 11? Seriously? That front three wasn't on the same planet as our current one. Torres wasn't very effective - he was often injured after his first season with us and only mustered 17 goals in 08/09, compared to Bobby's 16 last term. Nothing a manager could do about them getting injured, and Klopp doesn't really have the record to claim he's a big improvement (if at all) on Benitez at a comparable stage of their careers. Raterd number 1 in Europe... my God - the current squad is the reigning European champion ffs, after having played a second consecutive final and having never been eliminated over two legs!

Our defence is also better - conceding seven fewer goals in the league.

Much as I like that 08/09 squad, you're talking rubbish saying it's better than the current one.

skyebo
18th August 2019, 10:20 PM
City dropped two points yesterday. If that had been us, people would be saying we are already out of the title race after just 2 games. That's how ridiculous it gets at times.

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 10:23 PM
Just for the sake of making people think along different lines.

Here’s one for all of you suggesting our squad is the greatest thing since sliced bread... Brendan Rodgers - with this team - are we coming within a point of City and making back to back CL finals?

Both are unlikely, but what's your point? Klopp is a better manager than Rodgers?

Here’s another one.. Brendan Rodgers team - 2014 - Alisson in goal... Who wins the league....?

Alisson in 2014? Considering only his family had heard of him at that point, I'd go City. Mignolet was supposed to be long term solution. Turns out he wasn't. A mistake was made. Not all transfers will always come off. They learned and fixed the issue, didn't they?

Or This - same year and manager - we buy a Salah instead of him going to Chelsea... Who wins the league?

Quite possibly still City. Salah needed his time in Spain to develop. He wasn't anything special for Chelsea at all.

All hypothetical but just small indicators to where I believe a little
More could have made the difference. I could well be hopelessly wrong but I do believe that owners who were more involved and passionate we would have been that little bit less safe and perhaps might have won a 19th.

For the record - I don’t hate FSG and I don’t believe they are evil in any way - just a bit slow and little too conservative.

Here's a few for you - Barcelona last year with Griezmann in their squad. They clearly win the treble! Their owners are such pricks!

RM with Hazard and Jovic win the league last year. Lynch Perez I say!

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 10:32 PM
City dropped two points yesterday. If that had been us, people would be saying we are already out of the title race after just 2 games. That's how ridiculous it gets at times.

Well to be fair, we kind of would be. City are the current champions and best team in the league, who managed to outdo us in that perfect storm of a season last time around.

They are frighteningly good. Our only hope is to beat everyone below sixth place, win all our other home games and draw all the away ones. Then we stand a chance if they pick up a few injuries or go into a slump and we don't.

Steveo
18th August 2019, 10:32 PM
FSG are - they run the club. Obviously they modified their strategy when Klopp joined.

But you're seriously comparing any of the rest of the starting 11? Seriously? That front three wasn't on the same planet as our current one. Torres wasn't very effective - he was often injured after his first season with us and only mustered 17 goals in 08/09, compared to Bobby's 16 last term. Nothing a manager could do about them getting injured, and Klopp doesn't really have the record to claim he's a big improvement (if at all) on Benitez at a comparable stage of their careers. Raterd number 1 in Europe... my God - the current squad is the reigning European champion ffs, after having played a second consecutive final and having never been eliminated over two legs!

Much as I like that 08/09 squad, you're talking rubbish saying it's better than the current one.

Benitez was far more conservative in his tactics than Klopp so it was far less likely that Torres would score a bucket load of goals - are you suggesting Bobby is a better striker than Torres was? Bali..? Seriously..?

It was a less competitive league last season IMO - and I don’t think it’s rubbish at all. Arsenal - United - Chelsea all in transition and the rest - Spurs apart - pretty much fodder. Arsenal went on amazing winning run early season with a very ordinary team.

Balinkay
18th August 2019, 10:40 PM
Benitez was far more conservative in his tactics than Klopp so it was far less likely that he would score a bucket load of goals

Benitez scored fewer and conceded more that season than we did last time. If he were more conservatinve and equally good with an equally good squad, he'd not have conceded 22% more league goals.

- are you suggesting Bobby is a better striker than Torres was? Bali..? Seriously..?

Don't strawman me and try to weasel your way out. Torres in that season contrubited just about the same goals Bobby contributed last season. Also Bobby does a hell of a lot more other than score goals than Torres could ever dream of. Yes, in the context of that season, you're damn right Bobby was better. On his day El Niño was the best striker in the world bar none. Shame he was made of biscuits.

It was a less competitive league last season IMO - and I don’t think it’s rubbish at all. Arsenal - United - Chelsea all in transition and the rest - Spurs apart - pretty much fodder. Arsenal went on amazing winning run early season with a very ordinary team.

Was it less competitive, or was it just less competitive for City and us? Because Arsenal were fourth in 2009 with 72 points. Spurs were fourth last time around with… drumroll… 71 points. Relegation was 34 points both times. Seems like teams picked up a similar amount of points, except the two top teams, one of which coincidentally won the CL and the other would have likely faced them in the final but for a freak VAR decision. Moreover, Spurs made it to the CL final and Arsenal and Chelsea made it to the EL final. The league is not easy. Not by a long shot, especially considering how much richer it is today than ever before. We just had an insane season.

I'd be surprised if anyone bar City got to 90 points this year. Think we could, but we can't stay injury free for ever.

skyebo
18th August 2019, 10:49 PM
Seeing as though we seem to be talking hyperthetically. If we had the 08-09 midfield with today's team, who would come closer to winning the league with it, Benitez or Klopp ?

Steveo
18th August 2019, 10:55 PM
Benitez scored fewer and conceded more that season than we did last time. If he were more conservatinve and equally good with an equally good squad, he'd not have conceded 22% more league goals.

You seem be ruled by statistics - the generic composition of the league in any given year is an irrelevance for you? Manchester City are the best team in the world ever and that means that the league is tougher now than it was in 2009.. Sorry but this is madness for me.

Don't strawman me and try to weasel your way out. Torres in that season contrubited just about the same goals Bobby contributed last season. Also Bobby does a hell of a lot more other than score goals than Torres could ever dream of. Yes, in the context of that season, you're damn right Bobby was better. On his day El Niño was the best striker in the world bar none. Shame he was made of biscuits. Not sure what the heck you are on about Bali... You started the comparison between the two players.

Was it less competitive, or was it just less competitive for City and us? Because Arsenal were fourth in 2009 with 72 points. Spurs were fourth last time around with… drumroll… 71 points. Relegation was 34 points both times. Seems like teams picked up a similar amount of points, except the two top teams, one of which coincidentally won the CL and the other would have likely faced them in the final but for a freak VAR decision. Moreover, Spurs made it to the CL final and Arsenal and Chelsea made it to the EL final. The league is not easy. Not by a long shot, especially considering how much richer it is today than ever before. We just had an insane season. We did have an insane season but IMO the league was less competitive. Goals scored and points won are not the only marker Bali.

I'd be surprised if anyone bar City got to 90 points this year. Think we could, but we can't stay injury free for ever.

Who knows what the hell will happen... ? We could easily gain o more than 85 points and win the title, seasons are rarely the same.

Steveo
18th August 2019, 10:57 PM
Seeing as though we seem to be talking hyperthetically. If we had the 08-09 midfield with today's team, who would come closer to winning the league with it, Benitez or Klopp ?

I love Rafa to bits but I believe Klopp is far bolder and a significantly better manager. Just my opinion. If we had that amazing midfield it would likely affect our front 3 goal ratio though so who the heck knows. One thing is for certain - Klopp would bite your arm off for any of that trio..

skyebo
18th August 2019, 11:02 PM
I love Rafa to bits but I believe Klopp is far bolder and a significantly better manager. Just my opinion. If we had that amazing midfield it would likely affect our front 3 goal ratio though so who the heck knows. One thing is for certain - Klopp would bite your arm off for any of that trio..

I'm sure he would Steveo.

eggy81
18th August 2019, 11:33 PM

No one would

southernboy
18th August 2019, 11:55 PM
Whilst we’re all being hypothetical, stick Steven Gerrard at his peak into our current team, and we’d walk the league and CL. It’s such a mouthwatering thought that it actually leaves me feeling quite depressed. :(

CCTV
19th August 2019, 12:26 AM

Think you'd have to pick Klopp adding that midfield.
There'd be so much talent in the side that you'd want Klopp to get that extra bit more from attack.

Alisson
TAA Gomez/Matip VVD Robertson
Gerrard Mascherano Alonso
Salah Firmino Mane

Arguably the best goalkeeper, back 4, midfield 3 and front 3

And in 42X still beautiful
Alisson
TAA Gomez/Matip VVD Robbo
Mascherano Alonso
Salah Gerrard Mane
Firmino

Think itd be better suited to 433 with Gerrard breaking from midfield.

CCTV
19th August 2019, 12:41 AM
The thing I found mad about N4C leaving was how he just stopped posting. Especially for someone who seemed to be on here 24/7.
And seemed a really decent fella who's opinions were and are sadly missed.

0wtC2QEnVGA

Nige4C, Wembley86 and the rest, to good health and good football

CCTV
19th August 2019, 12:57 AM
Also what's with the doing a city stuff.

Since Klopp arrived city have net spent €527.79 mill
Two years prior to that they net spent €213.04 mill
Total €740.83

Klopps net spend €82.5 million
2 seasons prior to Klopp net spend €88.11million

In the 4 seasons before Klopp our net spend was 173.86 million.

Balinkay
19th August 2019, 06:55 AM
You seem be ruled by statistics - the generic composition of the league in any given year is an irrelevance for you? Manchester City are the best team in the world ever and that means that the league is tougher now than it was in 2009.. Sorry but this is madness for me.

I don't think it's hugely tougher, but City are by far and away better than any team in England at the time over a league season.

Not sure what the heck you are on about Bali... You started the comparison between the two players.

I compared them in the context of the respective seasons. You're just playing dumb to avoid the uncomfortable task of defending Torres, who didn't contribute nearly enough after his first season with us due to injuries.

We did have an insane season but IMO the league was less competitive. Goals scored and points won are not the only marker Bali.

You're right, they're not. But they were the quickest ones I could access. Success in Europe is pretty good marker too. Good thing I brought that up as well. :) Do you have any better ones you'd like to share with the class?

Who knows what the hell will happen... ? We could easily gain o more than 85 points and win the title, seasons are rarely the same.

That's what we said at the start of last season too though. :(

Balinkay
19th August 2019, 07:00 AM

I don't necessarily disagree, but what do you base that on? And yes, that midfield with our attack and defense would construct one of the greatest sides since the turn of the century.

Very tough question. Benitez was less adventurous, but the individual class of our strikers would bail him out more often than it did in 2008/9, like Mane's did against Southampton. Couple that with Gerrard's magic and Benitez's nack for defending, he might sure up our backline even more. But that is a great question.

Steveo
19th August 2019, 09:55 AM
I don't necessarily disagree, but what do you base that on? And yes, that midfield with our attack and defense would construct one of the greatest sides since the turn of the century.

Good question - and Benitez was superb at Valencia prior to coming to us - almost as superb as Klopp was at Dortmund....but he inherited an already superb (CL finalists) side at Valencia left by Héctor Cúper too. I guess I base my judgement purely on the belief that Klopp can get more out of a player. It is purely subjective though and there is no way of actually knowing - Benitez was one of the best coaches around - but for me Klopp is simply the best..

teesred
19th August 2019, 10:22 AM
The point is clear tees. I think a bit more in the market at crucial times would likely have got us a 19th or at least here with Klopp sooner.

Now with City where they are entrenched it is doubly difficult. I am talking about missed opportunity as I see it.

We lost one game last season. Theres no guarantees that if that extra had bern spent it would have been different.
We are competing against a side who are doping in a unprecedented level.
In 09 that squad was as good as it could have been, lost only 2 games. Ronaldo was the difference and hes one of the greatest ever.
Sometimes you come second and its simply out of your hands. Last season could be seen as a missed opputtunity but then again who expected us to go as far as we did in the league and win the European cup? Not many I'd say so the squad performed above and beyond.

teesred
19th August 2019, 10:24 AM
Whilst we’re all being hypothetical, stick Steven Gerrard at his peak into our current team, and we’d walk the league and CL. It’s such a mouthwatering thought that it actually leaves me feeling quite depressed. :(

True mate. I'd bet he watches this side and aches to be part of it. He would have loved playing under Klopp.

eggy81
19th August 2019, 10:38 AM
De bruyne at rcm would be the icing on this team.

skyebo
19th August 2019, 11:08 AM
De bruyne at rcm would be the icing on this team.

Spot on.

Steveo
19th August 2019, 11:17 AM
We lost one game last season. Theres no guarantees that if that extra had bern spent it would have been different.
We are competing against a side who are doping in a unprecedented level.
In 09 that squad was as good as it could have been, lost only 2 games. Ronaldo was the difference and hes one of the greatest ever.
Sometimes you come second and its simply out of your hands. Last season could be seen as a missed opputtunity but then again who expected us to go as far as we did in the league and win the European cup? Not many I'd say so the squad performed above and beyond.

Fair points...

miller0863
19th August 2019, 11:50 AM
At either end of the pitch we at least match City but their middle three look after the ball so much better than ours. It’s why they dominate virtually every game, they are far less careless with the ball.

jozza800
19th August 2019, 01:24 PM
At either end of the pitch we at least match City but their middle three look after the ball so much better than ours. It’s why they dominate virtually every game, they are far less careless with the ball.

Whilst I dont disagree that we could look after the ball better (with Matip and TTA are the most culpable), we play in a very direct manner. It's not quite route one, but it goes from A to B very quickly. The midfield's job is simple. To get the ball back as quickly as possible and get it to our attacking players as soon as possible.

City are a little bit more measured in their build up play.

redebreck
19th August 2019, 02:15 PM

Don't strawman me and try to weasel your way out. Torres in that season contrubited just about the same goals Bobby contributed last season. Also Bobby does a hell of a lot more other than score goals than Torres could ever dream of. Yes, in the context of that season, you're damn right Bobby was better. On his day El Niño was the best striker in the world bar none. Shame he was made of biscuits.

Torres, I recall, had no fitness/injury issues until the Spanish national side started calling him up.
From what I remember, almost every time he went away with them, he'd come back injured to us.
Conspiracy theorists might wonder if it was because we were so good in Europe around that time.

justincredible
22nd August 2019, 08:22 PM
The Ox is signed up until 2023. Good news indeed...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49442173

Steveo
22nd August 2019, 09:22 PM
The Ox is signed up until 2023. Good news indeed...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49442173

Yep - hopefully the peak of his career is about to start in a red shirt. There is a very good player in there who just needs the right environment to get to the next level... Good news.

justincredible
3rd September 2019, 09:56 AM
I'm not giving Mickey O his Owen thread, so I'll stick this here....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49561603

Balinkay
3rd September 2019, 11:08 AM
I honestly only wonder where he was in Instanbul…

TheDOC1979
3rd September 2019, 02:47 PM
I honestly only wonder where he was in Instanbul…

Have you not watched 15 minutes that shook the world? He was probably doing that.

Would've taken him back to be honest. Things might have been different in 2009. Who knows

https://youtu.be/PZmd1wU10xk

redebreck
3rd September 2019, 11:16 PM
Have you not watched 15 minutes that shook the world? He was probably doing that.

Would've taken him back to be honest. Things might have been different in 2009. Who knows

https://youtu.be/PZmd1wU10xk

boss

Insidious
10th September 2019, 09:56 PM
James Pearce -

Also a bit of an update on Joel Matip’s situation. He signed a 4-year deal in 2016 but the club had the option to extend it by a further year which they have enacted. As a result he’s under contract until Summer 2021.

Super!

justme
10th September 2019, 10:10 PM
More like it :) hes been superb in the last 6/7 months

Balinkay
10th September 2019, 10:52 PM
Worth remembering he's still only 28. Good bit of business to extend the contract.

Insidious
14th September 2019, 09:55 PM
Going to be really interesting to monitor ins/outs over the next season or two as our squad is generally really good.

You can see potential "equations" like Midfielder in, Milner+Lallana out and Forward in, Shaqiri+Origi out in terms of trying to economically improving the squad, but it's tricky.

"Economically" not simply meaning cost-cutting either. When you consider how (relatively) few minutes that Shaqiri and Origi accumulate, you can see the "value" in giving those total minutes to a single, young, talented player.

Equally with Milner (getting older - I want him to stay - but understand the argument for him going) and Lallana (not playing enough to justify wages, has probably reached his "ceiling") there is probably a young player who could fill the minutes of both, with a higher ceiling, whilst making a saving on wages.

But even at that it really isn't an easy job if you want to improve the side long-term - you're talking getting Kai Havertz and Timo Werner or something like that.

Not said as transfer speculation - it simply highlights what a great job we've been doing of late - two Champion's League Finals on the spin and a Premier League challenge (most likely two on the spin as well in that department) will have done us wonders in terms of appeal to transfer targets.

Nineteenx
15th September 2019, 09:08 PM
Still want Bruno Fernandes, think he'd be a very good option for several positions and get a lot of games as a result, think we could sign him and let Lallana, Shaqiri and Origi go, think he'd also be a far better option for giving Bobby a rest than anyone in our current squad and could offer plenty at LFWD or RFWD to give Mane and Mo rests too as well as being a great option at LCM and RCM in certain games

I think that's exactly what we need too, a top top quality player who we won't have the issue of gametime with because their versatility means they can play so many positions, actually reduce the squad size, make room for a couple more of the youngsters on the bench and improve

southernboy
15th September 2019, 09:59 PM
Talks allegedly opened with Mané over a new contract:

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2019/09/15/reds-reportedly-open-contract-talks-with-crucial-forward/

justme
15th September 2019, 11:39 PM
Real Madrid and Barcelona are set to go head-to-head in a mammoth bid to tempt manager Jurgen Klopp and defender Virgil van Dijk, 28, away from Liverpool

The Spanish media is the funniest thing of all

southernboy
15th September 2019, 11:52 PM
Yup, absolutely barmy. I genuinely believe that he’ll see his top flight career out with us.

Balinkay
16th September 2019, 09:55 AM
Real Madrid and Barcelona are set to go head-to-head in a mammoth bid to tempt manager Jurgen Klopp and defender Virgil van Dijk, 28, away from Liverpool

The Spanish media is the funniest thing of all

Hahahhahahahah :D

If they bid the entire country of Spain plus all of its ex-colonies, Henry still wouldn't say "yes". :D

Insidious
25th September 2019, 10:20 PM
So.

Lovren and Lallana then.

:D

justme
25th September 2019, 10:43 PM
So.

Lovren and Lallana then.

:D

Hopefully we can get some money in January for em

Insidious
25th September 2019, 11:38 PM
Hopefully we can get some money in January for em

Lallana's contract expires in the Summer - he will stay with us for depth unless something mad happens - Klopp has a history of being happy to let players see out a contract if they can be of some use - and providing experience in a League Cup game rather than risking a first-teamer is certainly something I'll take in the short-term.

Lovren's contract expires the following Summer though - I would be very surprised if we let him go in January, leaving us short for the February-May period of the season where we could be juggling a title run-in and a Champion's League campaign- but would be hoping we could have a buyer in the Summer and promote a youth player, or repeat the Matip trick.

justme
18th October 2019, 05:08 PM
Joel Matip has signed an extended contract until 2024, that's excellent news :) just need Milner to get another one now.

RedNoodle
18th October 2019, 05:16 PM
I posted a thread beforehand about Matip's new contract because I didn't see the existing contracts thread. :o

ianlfc
18th October 2019, 07:03 PM
Joel has went from Djimi Troare mk2 to one of the best Centrehalfs in the world in a couple of years.

CCTV
18th October 2019, 07:05 PM
Very good news bout Matip

jozza800
18th October 2019, 10:18 PM
Definitely shows the strength of squad when our two 'worst' players are Lovren and Lallana.

Aldo1988
19th October 2019, 11:36 AM
Definitely shows the strength of squad when our two 'worst' players are Lovren and Lallana.

And Gini if you read what some morons on the match day thread write about him.

Insidious
14th December 2019, 12:20 AM
Joel Matip has signed an extended contract until 2024, that's excellent news :) just need Milner to get another one now.

Not at my PC but will update the thread this weekend.

dicko1969
14th December 2019, 12:59 AM

Expiring Summer '19

Expiring Summer '20

Expiring Summer '21

Expiring Summer '22

Joe Gomez -

Mohamed Salah
Roberto Firmino
Naby Keita
Virgil Van Dijk
Fabinho
Jordan Henderson
Xherdan Shaqiri
Alisson ('24)

Hi Sid.

I know it's easy with hindsight on the above.

But a lot has changed.

Matip, Origi, your thoughts now?

Mignolet, Solanki gone.

Just shows nothing in football is certain.

The contracts now look all neat and tidy.

I like the thought process throughout.

Since klopp here; the 1st team strengthened, then the squad, the youth, the loans, the end of contracts, the sales.

Then recently the contracts.

Suspect Lovren and Lallana will leave in the summer, lallana could even go in January.

Insidious
22nd January 2020, 12:56 AM
Little update. Any errors as regards to dates can be corrected.

Expiring Summer '20

Adam Lallana (optional additional year) - suspect he'll see out his contract but nothing further. Excellent player on his day, but his day isn't often enough due to injuries and when he does have a poor game, it's particularly poor. Wish him luck and hopefully scores against the Mancs for another club.
Nathaniel Clyne - looks to be on his way out of the club. Once invaluable and now comparatively looks like a footballing Dinosaur in terms of style of play. Would wish him the best - it is only fair to remember that he was an important cog in the machine that got us back into the Top Four to get this process started and it isn't his fault that Trent's star shines so incredibly bright or that we're a hyper-modern outfit. Hope he can enjoy a few years of injury-free footie elsewhere and get free pints for life from Liverpool fans - he was an important leg-up in our initial climb towards the Sun. 41 appearances in all comps (37 in the League) in 16/17, which was Klopp's first FULL season and the season where we finally got back on track. So unlucky to be robbed of his peak years. Deserves our thanks.

Expiring Summer '21

Dejan Lovren - I suspected he would see out his contract, but now I think a sell to a buyer in the Summer looks increasingly likely. A player that can be under-rated due to brain farts, but can look very solid when alongside Van Dijk. Personally trust Matip and Gomez more, whilst also wanting to see youth come through. Happy to sell.
Georginio Wijnaldum - would very much like to see his contract extended and suspect it will be. Press-proof and industrious. Would happily keep him for a few more years, yet also foresee that we will eventually find a way to improve our midfield yet further and he may be the player we feel is expendable. I trust the club - if we sell I would accept it, but would be very happy for him to stay for the foreseeable.

Expiring Summer '22

James Milner - valuable servant that turned 34 this January, meaning he will be 36 come the end of his contract. Would happily let him see out his time with us as he can give cover in multiple positions. May be a window into Henderson's long-term future. Hopefully can pass his attitude onto a few more of our players yet and one day be involved with coaching or fitness staff, or an ambassadorial role.

Expiring Summer '23

Mohamed Salah - excellent player, one to keep for 2-4 more years unless we receive an astronomical offer.
Sadio Mane - excellent player, one to keep for 2-4 more years unless we receive an astronomical offer.
Roberto Firmino -excellent player, one to keep for 2-4 more years unless we receive an astronomical offer. Would hate to sell.
Naby Keita - has potential to revolutionise our midfield but needs to overcome injury issues. Monitor situation.
Fabinho - excellent player. Hope he sees out his contract with us.
Jordan Henderson - excellent player. Hope he sees out his contract with us. Physicality is a big part of his game so there may come a "right" time to sell but that hopefully isn't soon.
Xherdan Shaqiri - a very, very good player. Not as natural a fit to our style as some and prone to injury. For the right price and the chance to find a younger, fitter, more natural alternative I would happily sell but wish him all the best.
Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain an excellent player that can contribute to our midfield when not fighting fitness worries. Would listen to bids above his transfer value, but it would take a very large amount for me to want to see him sold.
Andrew Robertson - excellent player. Hopefully has many good years with us. Would not sell.

Expiring Summer '24

Divock Origi - a cult Hero and often surprises with his skill. Probably unlikely to be the Kluivert-esque player that we would love him to be. Can do no wrong as a human being or against Everton. Would very begrudgingly listen to serious offers simply so as to help us get to the next level of quality-in-depth and yet would happily have him around for the length of his contract.
Takumi Minamino - hopefully does great things for us and in terms of the numbers may very well "replace" Shaqiri and Lallana in one fell swoop, though in terms of role will be more akin to Firmino. Sample size of minutes means it is unfair to judge him either way with us. Hopefully contributes plenty in time - no better environment to do so.
Joel Matip - very, very good and often under-appreciated player. Very happy to have him around. Would never fetch a good price despite his quality. Keep for as long as he is willing to be here.
Alexander-Arnold - good chance he will be a one-club man and I hope it's the case; excellent player. Would not sell.
Alisson - excellent player, hopefully has many good years with us. Would not sell.

Expiring Summer '25

Virgil Van Dijk - incredible player, hopefully can finish his career with us.

dicko1969
22nd January 2020, 05:31 AM
Interesting read
A lot of effort huh

I dont agree with Wijnaldum; he should be on a new 4 or 5 year contract

Absolutely brilliant player. When he was at Newcastle he had a different role

I liked very much Winjaldum and Sissoko

Winjaldum has excelled and exceeded expectations

World class player

Insidious
22nd January 2020, 10:28 AM
Don't get me wrong Dicko, I really like Wijnaldum. I view our midfield three set-up as being similar to our front-three set-up in that I want them to stay as long as possible, but am open to the idea of selling one (for big money) to freshen things up a little bit, on the condition that we have the right target to replace them - younger, higher ceiling, can do the same job plus more, financially prudent and so on.

The only real reason for being open to this is not wanting all of our players to hit the "need to replace" mark at a similar time as we can't replace them all and could find ourselves in a nasty position. Ferguson was very good at getting things right. Teams like Real Madrid sometimes hold onto the same crop of talent for too long - or indeed if we look at the problem that is coming further down the line for this current Barcelona team - or mid-00's AC Milan.

No desire to see Gini leave - just feel/sense that at some stage in the next 2-4 years that we will find someone who is essentially able to work as hard as our front three whilst also contributing in the way that a De Bruyne type player can and if/as/when we identify such a target, a sale of someone (provided the price is right) to avoid stagnation would be prudent.

Hopefully the contract extension happens so we have the option of him seeing it out, or the option of selling for big money if conditions make that a suitable route forward.

dicko1969
24th January 2020, 06:21 PM
The average footballer’s wage in England’s top division has climbed from £20 per week in 1961 to £33,868 per week or thereabouts 50 years later (2011)

This week (2011) marks half a century since the abolition of the maximum wage in English football, as has been noted by a variety of media coverage, including the piece linked here, written by my Mail on Sunday colleague Joe Bernstein, published earlier this month.

Footballers’ wages have grown massively over time, and this is shown below, season by season, in a table researched using a variety of sources, not least Professional Footballers’ Association documents and records.

The numbers are most reliable for the past 20 years because we have detailed information about individual clubs’ wage bills in the Premier League.

Using analysis honed over many years of close study of footballers’ pay, we can demonstrate quite precisely how average top-flight earnings have changed.

Before 1992, a series of landmark figures were used as a basis to estimate averages as accurately as possible; inevitably there has been some ‘filling in’ in between those landmarks. Nonetheless, the numbers and the progression are as close as we can come to showing how pay has changed. Indisputable is how much pay has rocketed since the formation of the Premier League – with its TV riches from 1992-93 onwards.

Some markers along the course of the steep climb include:

When Kevin Keegan joined Liverpool from Scunthorpe in May 1971, Bill Shankly’s first wage offer was £45 per week.

In his 1977 autobiography, Keegan recalled: ‘I wanted to sign there and then but remembered that my father had told me not to sell myself cheap.’

Keegan told Shankly he expected more than £45. Shankly replied: ‘That’s upsetting.

Don’t forget, young man, we’re paying £33,000 for you.’ Keegan’s basic wage at Scunthorpe, in the old Fourth Division, had been £30 a week, with £8 win bonus and £4 draw bonus.

Keegan and Shankly eventually settled on a starting wage of £50 a week at Liverpool. Regular first-team football, appearance money and win bonuses added £80 a week to that basic figure, for £130 a week for one of England’s best players at one of its biggest clubs

£50pw in 1971

£200,000pw in 2020

Nineteenx
24th January 2020, 06:36 PM
£50pw in 1971

£200,000pw in 2020

Those bastard Tories have been fiddling the inflation register for years

Insidious
26th January 2021, 09:31 AM
Talks allegedly opened with Mané over a new contract:

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2019/09/15/reds-reportedly-open-contract-talks-with-crucial-forward/

Ah, here we are.

(Someone in a another thread had been asking about Mane's wages - think the timing of this negotiation bring us closer to info).

A very long thread these days with lots of chops and changes. Will likely make an updated one once the current transfer window closes.

shminkyred
26th January 2021, 09:59 AM
Nice one

shminkyred
26th January 2021, 10:02 AM
Still want Bruno Fernandes, think he'd be a very good option for several positions and get a lot of games as a result, think we could sign him and let Lallana, Shaqiri and Origi go, think he'd also be a far better option for giving Bobby a rest than anyone in our current squad and could offer plenty at LFWD or RFWD to give Mane and Mo rests too as well as being a great option at LCM and RCM in certain games

I think that's exactly what we need too, a top top quality player who we won't have the issue of gametime with because their versatility means they can play so many positions, actually reduce the squad size, make room for a couple more of the youngsters on the bench and improve

Hmmmmm .....well spotted