PDA

View Full Version : Chess World Championship 2018 (updates/spoilers)

Insidious
9th November 2018, 08:32 PM
So I thought I'd make a thread for all three of us that might have a remote interest in following this.

At move 40 of Game 1 Caruana made a move with 3 seconds left on the clock that has turned what looked a near-certain loss for him into what'll undoubtedly be a long and tactical endgame that could lead to a draw.

Balinkay
9th November 2018, 10:29 PM
I've been watching the chess24 stream for what feels like 78577654 hours.

Magnus is driving me insane with losing that amazing advantage he had.

Balinkay
9th November 2018, 11:05 PM
Draw. Magnus is not in good shape. Before the start I had him winning after tie breaks. Now I think Fabi's chances have somewhat improved.

Balinkay
10th November 2018, 01:48 PM
It'd be interesting to see if Magnus manages to prolong every game to something like 7 hours. He apparently stated he's physically stronger than Fabi so he might try to wear him down and make his move in the second part of the match.

Insidious
10th November 2018, 02:04 PM
What I'm finding interesting is the post-game narrative.

Carlsen missing the chance to win means a lot of people seem to have it down as a Carlsen failure, but given that the essential basics of tournament play are "Win as White, Draw as Black" Magnus has acquired a perfectly good result.

I guess it's the equivalent of saying you'll take a draw before a football match, but if it's 1-1 at full-time when you were 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go and creating chances it "feels like" a loss.

Game Two will be interesting. Eagerly awaiting the "Hello Everyone" analysis from Agadmator. Will probably purchase the Spyro Reignited trilogy at some point to break things up.

Balinkay
10th November 2018, 02:57 PM
I hear what you're saying Sid, but I don't think Magnus will manage to outprepare Fabi too often. And it kind of looked like he did. Being at a steady +6 with more than enough time on the clock and still not finishig the America off will irk Magnus no end.

Insidious
10th November 2018, 09:53 PM
I hear what you're saying Sid, but I don't think Magnus will manage to outprepare Fabi too often. And it kind of looked like he did. Being at a steady +6 with more than enough time on the clock and still not finishig the America off will irk Magnus no end.

Fair.

Fabi exhibited some real control with the Black pieces in Game 2.

Will be very intriguing to see how Monday's game goes.

Balinkay
11th November 2018, 02:24 AM
Will have to look at a recap, as I was otherwise engaged, but from the tweets I've read he was never in any danger whatsoever.

RedNoodle
11th November 2018, 02:30 AM
My all time favourite game of chess:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvBrU1Cofms

Balinkay
11th November 2018, 09:33 AM
Huh - how did they predict Kramnik's openings as black at the Candidates'?

Insidious
11th November 2018, 01:55 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgeYScYe8wI

RedNoodle
11th November 2018, 03:14 PM
The introduction of those rules/moves would certainly increase the public's interest in chess.

jozza800
12th November 2018, 02:13 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvBrU1Cofms

'Get out of that Rommel!'

Brilliant.

Loved the game as a concept as a kid and understood the game as a whole but could never master looking multiple moves ahead.

Insidious
13th November 2018, 12:46 AM
3 draws then.

9 games left.

Carlsen to have the White pieces for 5 of those games, Caruana for 4 - thus you'd give Carlsen a slight edge just now.

Balinkay
13th November 2018, 06:12 PM
Doesn't really matter all that much what colour you play if you're off form. He'll have to be at his best to get a singe W, let alone win the match. Caruana is as good as him in endgames, so if he's to win a game, it'll have to be with plenty of pieces left on the board in the early middle game, just after they've left their homework area.

Insidious
20th November 2018, 12:22 AM
Doesn't really matter all that much what colour you play if you're off form. He'll have to be at his best to get a singe W, let alone win the match. Caruana is as good as him in endgames, so if he's to win a game, it'll have to be with plenty of pieces left on the board in the early middle game, just after they've left their homework area.

Seriously thought Caruana would win that match today - he had such an edge apparently if he'd have managed to shift the Knight Magnus had - will enjoy Agadmator's analysis no doubt but it looked like Magnus had over-reached with those Kingside pawns for sure.

Balinkay
20th November 2018, 12:57 PM
I watched chess24's excellent live and analysis of the game. Sesse was givig +2 at some point (right before h3 I think). Magnus was dead and burried.

Can't recommend chess24's coverage enough though - Svidler + Grishckuk + Sopiko / Anish = profit.

Insidious
25th November 2018, 08:09 PM
11. Draws.

Barmy.

Balinkay
26th November 2018, 08:16 AM
It was a poor choice by Magnus to go for such a boring draw. Fabi has white and he'll probably pull something new / interesting out of the hat. Can't wait.

Insidious
26th November 2018, 06:01 PM
It was a poor choice by Magnus to go for such a boring draw. Fabi has white and he'll probably pull something new / interesting out of the hat. Can't wait.

Grischuk seems to think that Caruana's Rh2 on move 21 is pretty interesting, but I've not got the know-how to interpret why - no doubt Agadmator will explain.

Balinkay
26th November 2018, 07:19 PM
Fuck me - 12 draws.

Let's see if Magnus can pull it off in the tiebreaks.

Insidious
26th November 2018, 07:35 PM
Fuck me - 12 draws.

Let's see if Magnus can pull it off in the tiebreaks.

Surprised Carlsen offered the draw as the Supercomputers apparently had him as being in a pretty advantageous position.

Carlsen's the favourite for the Rapid/Blitz stuff you'd think.

Balinkay
26th November 2018, 07:52 PM
He was at +1, so nothing to scoff at. This is the supercomputer: http://analysis.sesse.net/ .

However, as Svidler and Giri pointed out, it might be that for a human it's impossible to say they're truly better here and push. Especially in this situation.

Balinkay
28th November 2018, 07:24 PM
Magnus wins the tiebreaks 3-0. Some serious dick swinging there.

Insidious
28th November 2018, 07:29 PM
Magnus wins the tiebreaks 3-0. Some serious dick swinging there.

Caruana needed to do it in Classical.

Well done Magnus.

Balinkay
7th December 2018, 01:13 PM
Seems like Alpha Zero has once again smashed Stockfish 9 in a 1000-game match. Something like 165-6, the rest draws.

Painful.

Kasparov seems particularly happy, since Alpha's style is, at least according to him, a lot more "human" than conventional engines. You can sort of "understand" why it's doing what it does, at least visually.