PDA

View Full Version : Unlikely heroes

Nineteenx
4th May 2019, 11:14 PM
Here we go then, with injuries mounting, lots of tired legs, a Champions League semi final on the horizon, we're into that territory of who might be an unlikely hero.

We've had several in the past, numerous from the 2005 Champions League run and the final itself

Jerzy Dudek for his point blank last gasp save v Shevchenko and penalty saves

Vladimir Smicer's superb strike in the final

Djimi Traore for not looking like Bambi on ice

Anthony Le Tallec for his beautiful stand up for Garcia's goal v Juventus

Who might be our unlikely hero this season, Dickov Origi, Sturridge, Shaqiri, Tielemens, Vardy :D

And it'd be great to share our unlikely heroes from past glories

Insidious
4th May 2019, 11:26 PM
Origi essentially gets that goal tonight and got THAT goal against the Bitters.

Love his attitude.

LFC vs PFC
4th May 2019, 11:36 PM
Sinama Pongolle's sub appearance against Olympiakos.

skyebo
4th May 2019, 11:44 PM
Didi Hamann coming on in the CL final. We were getting a drubbing up to that point.

Nineteenx
4th May 2019, 11:46 PM
Didi Hamann coming on in the CL final. We were getting a drubbing up to that point.

And scoring a pen with a broken foot

skyebo
4th May 2019, 11:52 PM
And scoring a pen with a broken foot

I never knew that.

justme
4th May 2019, 11:54 PM
Yeah he had small fracture to his foot I believe.

Nineteenx
4th May 2019, 11:55 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4598717.stm

Yep

skyebo
4th May 2019, 11:57 PM
Yeah he had small fracture to his foot I believe.

Just seen it now.

skyebo
4th May 2019, 11:58 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4598717.stm

Yep

Thanks for the link Nineteen, I just read it.

miller0863
5th May 2019, 12:14 AM
Indeed, really don’t think Didi gets the credit he deserved. Marvellous player.

justme
5th May 2019, 12:18 AM
I rated Patrick Berger ..And Danny Murphy wasn't has bad has some made him out to be..

miller0863
5th May 2019, 12:21 AM
Two winning goals at Old Trafford, how many players can say that in the Premier League era.

Aldo1988
5th May 2019, 12:03 PM
Gary Mac, came in and helped the younsters, led us to 3 trophies in one season his influence and class goes a bit unoticed.

Nineteenx
5th May 2019, 12:15 PM
Gary Mac, came in and helped the younsters, led us to 3 trophies in one season his influence and class goes a bit unoticed.

Great shout, that Derby goal although i knew where he was going to put it, called it beforehand

Nineteenx
5th May 2019, 12:29 PM
I'm really looking for players who have in general not been very good for us on a consistent basis, or were all we had and we knew weren't very good and completely out of type and unexpectedly produced something absolutely brilliant none of us expected and well above the level any of us had ever expected from them.

Or equally a player like Unisex who nobody would expect to play on Tuesday, could he play and conjure up a vital wonder goal

This also goes back to my point about Sturridge, all that talent sulking around when there's a chance for him to grab 2 medals, Dudek, Traore, Smicer, Le Tallec all knew they were out of the door at the end of the 05 season, yet despite being poor their entire Liverpool careers, when presented with an opportunity to win the Champions league, every single one of them produced something or a few moments of brilliance throughout our run to lifting the trophy

Kev0909
5th May 2019, 01:09 PM
Tell you what if we go on to win the title, i know big if

Origi has had a huge part to play, saved us a few times and I can't believe i'm saying that

teesred
5th May 2019, 01:20 PM
Two winning goals at Old Trafford, how many players can say that in the Premier League era.

3 winning goals.

teesred
5th May 2019, 01:22 PM
Actually one might have been at anfield. A penalty in 1-0 win on a rare 3pm sat kick off.

Aldo1988
5th May 2019, 06:29 PM
I'm really looking for players who have in general not been very good for us on a consistent basis, or were all we had and we knew weren't very good and completely out of type and unexpectedly produced something absolutely brilliant none of us expected and well above the level any of us had ever expected from them.

Or equally a player like Unisex who nobody would expect to play on Tuesday, could he play and conjure up a vital wonder goal

This also goes back to my point about Sturridge, all that talent sulking around when there's a chance for him to grab 2 medals, Dudek, Traore, Smicer, Le Tallec all knew they were out of the door at the end of the 05 season, yet despite being poor their entire Liverpool careers, when presented with an opportunity to win the Champions league, every single one of them produced something or a few moments of brilliance throughout our run to lifting the trophy

I remember Ronny Rosenthal coming out of nowhere to score the goals that helped us win the league. I aslo though David Speedie score a few important goals in his short time with us.

teesred
5th May 2019, 06:37 PM

Origi has had a huge part to play, saved us a few times and I can't believe i'm saying that

Agree. If we win it hes playrd as big a part of importance than anyone with 2 massive goals.

skyebo
5th May 2019, 06:43 PM
I remember Ronny Rosenthal coming out of nowhere to score the goals that helped us win the league. I aslo though David Speedie score a few important goals in his short time with us.

I saw Rosenthal not long ago in the city centre. I asked him where he was heading. He said he was hitting a few bars.

Aldo1988
5th May 2019, 06:45 PM
I saw Rosenthal not long ago in the city centre. I asked him where he was heading. He said he was hitting a few bars.

Boom, boom haha

LFC vs PFC
5th May 2019, 08:20 PM

Remember when we got rid of him. A real miss for the club.

skyebo
5th May 2019, 08:54 PM
Remember when we got rid of him. A real miss for the club.

Yeah, especially the one against Villa.

Nineteenx
5th May 2019, 09:26 PM
Cisse

Balinkay
5th May 2019, 10:56 PM
Cisse

That goal in the 2006 FA Cup final is underrated as hell. Not to mention the Istanbul peno.

Nineteenx
5th May 2019, 11:56 PM
That goal in the 2006 FA Cup final is underrated as hell. Not to mention the Istanbul peno.

Yep and he'd been out most of the season with a broken leg hadn't he? At least that's how i remember it

Clungeman
6th May 2019, 12:06 PM
Yep and he'd been out most of the season with a broken leg hadn't he? At least that's how i remember it

He definitely missed most of the 'Istanbul' season following the leg-break against Blackburn. I remember he then broke it again playing for France, but I can't remember when that was exactly.

Nineteenx
6th May 2019, 01:50 PM
Going to be looking for our unlikely heroes come Tuesday evening

skyebo
6th May 2019, 02:51 PM
Going to be looking for our unlikely heroes come Tuesday evening

There'll be up to 14 of them if they turn this one around.

Nineteenx
7th May 2019, 10:42 PM
Possibly a few names to add to the list

Kev0909
7th May 2019, 10:44 PM

Make that the champions league also

Can't think of a player that's made such a difference, from the position he was in!!!!!

Bonkers

CCTV
7th May 2019, 10:57 PM
Make that the champions league also

Can't think of a player that's made such a difference, from the position he was in!!!!!

Bonkers

all comps: pl, cl and fa cup. 6 goals & 1 assist in 577 minutes - Legend

Insidious
7th May 2019, 11:08 PM
Klopp - "Robertson is injured - we need someone to play left-back to defend against Messi - the best player the world has ever seen"

Milner - "Hold my Ribena....."

Nineteenx
7th May 2019, 11:18 PM
Job nowhere near done, we have to go and win the fucking thing this time, then everyone of those lads goes on the list

Insidious
7th May 2019, 11:21 PM
Job nowhere near done, we have to go and win the fucking thing this time, then everyone of those lads goes on the list

Still 40 minutes left of this wonderful, wonderful day - let's worry about that tomorrow.

dicko1969
7th May 2019, 11:39 PM
Brilliant
Squad alive

Nineteenx
23rd May 2019, 09:14 PM
Well, if we start our best 11 as it looks like we hopefully will, might we still be looking at unlikely heroes? A player stepping up to score a massive goal who isn't one most fans would expect to deliver it?

skyebo
24th May 2019, 09:58 PM
Could be a night when one of our full backs gets on the score sheet. They have a habit of scoring in a European cup final.

teesred
24th May 2019, 10:26 PM
Id love Hendo to score the winner or 4th in a 4-0 ein or similar scoreline. Seeing him lift that trophy would be so fucking amazing. He deserves it.

CCTV
24th May 2019, 10:29 PM
Well, if we start our best 11 as it looks like we hopefully will, might we still be looking at unlikely heroes? A player stepping up to score a massive goal who isn't one most fans would expect to deliver it?

Is the word that both Keita and Firmino are fit to start ?

Nineteenx
24th May 2019, 11:21 PM
Id love Hendo to score the winner or 4th in a 4-0 ein or similar scoreline. Seeing him lift that trophy would be so fucking amazing. He deserves it.

Weirdly, I keep getting Spurs 0-4 Liverpool popping into my head Robbo, Mane, Salah and Hendo scoring, Robbo opening the scoring early with a blistering low drive from outside the box

Nineteenx
24th May 2019, 11:22 PM
Is the word that both Keita and Firmino are fit to start ?

Keita is rated extremely doubtful, Bobby should be fine

Nineteenx
24th May 2019, 11:30 PM
2Y5XH1zEaio

Nineteenx
31st May 2019, 12:03 AM
Well Robbo might not be considered an unlikely hero, but few are probably thinking of his goal threat and potential to score for us in the final and next season, I have this feeling he is going to score on Saturday, it's just there and won't go away, as not many expect that, it probably qualifies as unlikely hero territory

stevie harkness
31st May 2019, 06:38 AM
Matip hat trick.

justincredible
31st May 2019, 08:50 AM
There's a lot of confidence on show here. And while I believe that if Liverpool show up and the boys play like we know they can, we should have too much for Tottenham and hopefully the occasion will get to them too.
But, this is an all English final. Against two quite evenly matched teams, so it could go either way and that means Spurs could easily blow us away if things don't go according to plan.
So, I'm expecting an even final with a nail biting finish, with LFC (hopefully) coming out on top.

Cue a big fat 0-0er...Lolzzzzz

Balinkay
31st May 2019, 09:47 AM
Can we for once have a nice boring final where we win the game in the first twenty minutes? Please?

toneata
31st May 2019, 09:53 AM
Can't see any team blowing our defence away at the moment.

If this was City vs Spurs in a one off match everyone would be saying they'll spank them, we finished 26 points ahead of them for a reason, we're better and there's no reason why we won't turn up and they will. Everyone talks about how we were lucky the last time we played them but nobody can deny we've cranked it up since then.

Let's embrace being favourites for once.

....and yes, we've been put through the ringer far too many times this season with tight, nervy games, let's just have a piss boring straight forward win............................please.

dicko1969
31st May 2019, 11:13 AM
1 day to go getting excited
Butterflies
Fingers crossed
50/50 this one

Btw is Noods about?

Taksin
31st May 2019, 11:53 AM
Djimi Traore to pull both groins with vital goal line clearances

miller0863
31st May 2019, 12:15 PM
Djimi always played like he’d pulled both groins.

justincredible
31st May 2019, 12:30 PM
Djimi Unchained

worldpanel
31st May 2019, 03:06 PM
3-1, Heighway...Smith with a rocket header and Phil Neil (pen)

CCTV
1st June 2019, 11:36 PM
Matip assists Origi.... 0-2 :)

Nineteenx
1st June 2019, 11:38 PM
Matip assists Origi.... 0-2 :)

Yeeeeeeessssss, big dick slams it home again

CCTV
1st June 2019, 11:38 PM
Yeeeeeeessssss, big dick slams it home again

Divvy Joel

Nineteenx
1st June 2019, 11:44 PM
Divvy Joel

I know ;)

miller0863
1st June 2019, 11:47 PM
Unbefuckinlievable !!!!!

Martyboy
1st June 2019, 11:52 PM
Unbefuckinlievable !!!!!

Joyous!!....:)

Steveo
1st June 2019, 11:52 PM
Origi has been there in both the Champions league and the league with crucial goals when we needed one most... Everton - Newcastle - Barcelona twice and again in the CL final...

skyebo
1st June 2019, 11:57 PM
Origi has been there in both the Champions league and the league with crucial goals when we needed one most... Everton - Newcastle - Barcelona twice and again in the CL final...

Apart from him, it was the usual suspects Alisson and Van Dijk.

Balinkay
2nd June 2019, 12:14 AM
Apparently Origi has only had three attempts on goal (or on target, not sure) in this year's CL and has scored with all of them.

Steveo
2nd June 2019, 12:20 AM
I am not sure to be honest but I believe it’s 3 shots... all 3 on target and all 3 were vital goals.

Clinical.

CCTV
2nd June 2019, 01:30 AM
Apparently Origi has only had three attempts on goal (or on target, not sure) in this year's CL and has scored with all of them.

He's better than Suarez :D

Nineteenx
2nd June 2019, 01:33 AM
Origi 100% attempts to goals in the Champions League, very nice

murii
2nd June 2019, 02:05 AM
I'm getting a Origi jersey

teesred
2nd June 2019, 03:07 AM
Origi 100% attempts to goals in the Champions League, very nice

Wellaye. Hes been as integral as anyone in that run. Number 6= Big Div.

Balinkay
2nd June 2019, 09:49 AM
He's better than Suarez :D

big remote control likes this

teesred
2nd June 2019, 10:35 AM
Apart from him, it was the usual suspects Alisson and Van Dijk.

Yep. The difference makers. And people scoffed at their price tag! Worth every cent.

LEGS
2nd June 2019, 10:49 AM
Yep. The difference makers. And people scoffed at their price tag! Worth every cent.

Correct our best two on the night as well.

We have seen with De Gea & Cech what a good keeper can do for you glad we got Alisson huge upgrade.

Kev0909
2nd June 2019, 01:52 PM

He's done it again!!!!!!

he's gone from zero to 100 this season, wow the goals he's got has been super important

Nineteenx
6th January 2020, 05:36 PM
Curtis Jones

Nineteenx
6th January 2020, 05:38 PM
Phillips, Chirivella, Williams, Larouci, Elliott

skyebo
6th January 2020, 06:51 PM
Phillips, Chirivella, Williams, Larouci, Elliott

All of them from last night. To beat a full strength team from the premier league with the side we put out was a tremendous achievement. Credit to every one of them.

Nineteenx
6th January 2020, 07:27 PM
All of them from last night. To beat a full strength team from the premier league with the side we put out was a tremendous achievement. Credit to every one of them.

Absolutely, what a performance! That's what it's all about, all that training, all that hard work, going onto the pitch and using and focusing all of that to enjoy playing the game to the very best of your abilities, collectively and individually

CCTV
6th January 2020, 08:16 PM
Can we crown Trent Alexander Arnold as the scouser of the decade !?!?!?

Nineteenx
6th January 2020, 09:31 PM
7HldRlTZj_g

Nineteenx
1st February 2020, 09:00 PM
Alright then, it's that time again, everybody and their dog has been slagging Jurgen off for his absolutely correct decision to play our U23's in the FA Cup replay v Shrewsbury when arrangements had already been made a month earlier for our first team squads first week of their winter break and they are talking as though we're throwing the cup game v Shrewsbury, like Jurgen I am 100% NOT having any of that.

I watched these lads against Villa, had they had a better striker of the pitch and showed a bit more composure and belief and thought of it as an opportunity to show how good they are with no fear rather than showing in their end product they felt the opportunity was pressure rather than the reward they could have won that game v Villa.

So, although not so unlikely heroes in my view, as the rest of the football world expects us to get beaten, while I believe these young lads should be good enough to get the win and book our spot in the 5th round v Chelsea and keep the quintuple dream alive, let's have a look who 'the other people will consider as unlikely heroes

Kelleher

Williams Hoever Van Den Berg Lewis

Clarkson Chirivella Jones

Elliott Hardy Millar

I have every faith in our young guns and thoroughly expect them to be too good for Shrewbury who will themselves be under pressure playing against an U23's side and from the Anfield crowd and be expected to try and attack more rather than sit back and counter, whereas our lads will be playing with no pressure, brimming with confidence at their opportunity and reward to show everyone what they can do in a fourth round FA Cup tie at Anfield

southernboy
3rd February 2020, 01:25 AM
Javier Mascherano on playing for LFC:

"I obviously have a lot of love for Barcelona, I spent the best years of my career there but I would choose Liverpool," he told CNN.

“I feel something special for them. Yes, right now is the best in the world, Liverpool represents me a lot.”

Players like Coutinho and Can will probably look back with similar feelings. Current players should take note. Playing for, or being involved with LFC is special. An intangible quality that stays long after a career ends.

dicko1969
3rd February 2020, 02:32 AM
Biscan v Juve away wasnt it ?

Adrian super cup

Nineteenx
5th February 2020, 07:42 AM
Critch AND

https://pbs.twimg.com/ad_img/1224761659388039168/QmF0aByW?format=jpg&name=900x900

dicko1969
6th February 2020, 12:04 AM
Wlliams and Jones were immense

Nineteenx
10th April 2021, 05:23 PM
Here we go, it's THAT time again, but the context is a little different

On this occasion we're looking for unlikely heroes in respect of many of our most celebrated and consistent likely heroes of the prior 2 seasons finding themselves and finding it within themselves to bring their game to that level and above and get the win by the required margin against Real to put themselves in the Champions League semi final nobody expects them to, except perhaps me.

This time there is no famous Anfield crowd and incredible atmosphere, the team and several players haven't been in the best of form and aren't on a run of continual evolution and improvement, BUT, they all need to remember that THEY the players pulled off that incredible win v Barca, without Mo or Bobby when no-one gave them a hope in hell

They have to have the same belief that they can do this for the fans, play with absolutely incredible intensity, focus, communication, direction of each other and belief and never ever give up, just like we did today, these lads can get the win we need, by the margin we need on Wednesday night, it's up to them to show their very best and do it, do it

ianlfc
10th April 2021, 06:39 PM
Big Nat is up there. Some huge headers in the final minutes today.
We'll probably not see much of him after this season, but he'll be fondly remembered.

CCTV
10th April 2021, 06:48 PM
It's just one game, if we turn up anything can happen.
Still have the ability to score a few goals in a few minutes. Salah/Jota on form.
Will need a performance and a bit of luck.

miller0863
10th April 2021, 07:48 PM
Was watching our defending closely today and it’s really poor. We usually have the numbers back but we rarely pick up our men and when we do we give them too much space, it’s like we wait til they receive the ball before we take any notice of them. We can have 5 defenders v 1 attacker but they will often receive the ball in space in our box.
Not a chance of us keeping a clean sheet v Real Madrid, they’re going to score first then get a second as we push up needing 3 to even take it into extra time.
Alisson isn’t helping either, he’s in the worst form of his Anfield career.

Just cannot see our 0.9% chance converters out scoring such strong opposition, particularly when you compare the relative defences.

Steveo
10th April 2021, 07:51 PM
You can’t really be pretending to be serious owners when the best you can do after letting Lovren go without replacement - witnessing that folly with Virgil and Gomez going down - the. waiting till February to sign Davies and Kabak.

Like I said - it’s absolutely pathetic - it’s amateur hour.

Phillips and Kabak @ CB v Real Madrid... Lordy lord.

ianlfc
10th April 2021, 07:54 PM
I'd be amazed if we buy Kabak in the summer.

Steveo
10th April 2021, 07:57 PM

Think we will buy anyone seen as a potential route to a profit.

ianlfc
10th April 2021, 08:04 PM
Think we will buy anyone seen as a potential route to a profit.

Definitely. The big fella looks to be pulling a caravan when running. 😃😃

Kev0909
10th April 2021, 08:07 PM
Maybe Davies will start and be our hero? With a bit of Robbie Williams playing in the dressing room before kick off and HT ?

Surely that's why we've signed Davies right?

CCTV
10th April 2021, 10:37 PM
Was watching our defending closely today and it’s really poor. We usually have the numbers back but we rarely pick up our men and when we do we give them too much space, it’s like we wait til they receive the ball before we take any notice of them. We can have 5 defenders v 1 attacker but they will often receive the ball in space in our box.
Not a chance of us keeping a clean sheet v Real Madrid, they’re going to score first then get a second as we push up needing 3 to even take it into extra time.
Alisson isn’t helping either, he’s in the worst form of his Anfield career.

Just cannot see our 0.9% chance converters out scoring such strong opposition, particularly when you compare the relative defences.

For Klopp and Peps bemoaning of Bus parking it's not a skill either have really mastered. Zidane imo has a better understanding of that capacity.

LEGS
10th April 2021, 11:35 PM
Maybe Davies will start and be our hero? With a bit of Robbie Williams playing in the dressing room before kick off and HT ?

Surely that's why we've signed Davies right?

Davies has been signed as cheap/easy cover he is doing his job.

We might sell him in the summer for £3-4m who knows.

Insidious
11th April 2021, 12:15 AM

He's young yet and whilst the £18m required to buy him may sound a lot on paper, it would be nothing over the course of 5-10 seasons.

He looks fine to me. Not at all "great" but certainly perfectly adequate and age-wise he has loads of room to prove.

The best ability is availability right now and we will need one or two resilient defenders going forward as we have no idea how long the recovery of Gomez and Van Dijk will take, or indeed if they'll ever be the same player/s again. Van Dijk could be a "Kompany" (excellent but rarely fit) for all we know.

Not too fussed either way - if we buy him I'm content enough and if we don't (and target someone else) I'm fine with that too - if we buy someone instead of Kabak rather than as-well-as then I hope they have an excellent injury record.

Don't want to be taking Fabinho out of midfield again if it can be avoided.

miller0863
11th April 2021, 12:28 AM
He’s probably as good as Gomez but we need a Matip level defender to play alongside Virgil, not an ok defender good enough for top half of the Prem a proper top level performer week in week out.

justme
11th April 2021, 01:10 AM
I dont think our high line has helped our defending..I'd love us to be more astute in how we attack teams.. rather than going gung ho. Having 3 solid midfielders worked for us last season.. The problems they dont offer enough goals. we need to find one who can do both roles.

LEGS
11th April 2021, 10:46 AM
Kabak is better than ok to be fair he is also better suited to right CB but as he is better on the ball than Phillips its needs must.

I'd sign Kabak and another CB.

As I keep saying we have 3 CBs coming off bad injuries and we can use Gomez as back up RB too dont forget.

We need to be well covered at CB next season that is a given.

Nineteenx
13th April 2021, 10:54 AM
No reason we can't get the win we need by the margin we need, I see Reals 50m CB they bought from Porto who was outstanding in the first leg is also now out injured

First leg Jurgen fucked up, got some basics disastrously wrong, stopping their midfield 3 getting on the ball and playing is always key against Real, we've had great success in the Champions League this season through lowering the line of our press so the forwards are actually off the opposition defence blocking the lines for them to play into their midfielders and setting traps for our forwards or midfielders to try and nick the ball in midfield when they are trying to play out instead of nicking it as high as we used to, why Jurgen ditched that for that first leg only he knows

I think this game is very winnable, set up as we have had so much success in the Champions League this season, block the lines for them to play to their midfielders, makes sure we do rapidly press Kroos or Modric when either drop between their 2 CBs and look to nick the ball in midfield with our forwards already obviously in great positions between their midfield and defence from who we've set up

These lads can do this, believe in them and never give up

Nineteenx
15th March 2023, 08:30 PM
Bump, here we go, come the fucking FUCK on Liverpool

Nineteenx
9th April 2023, 10:16 PM
Here we are again, not so much unlikely except for in they need to find themselves, all of them, and stir themselves to levels well above and beyond those we saw at times in the second half today with each and every player who steps onto the pitch for us in these last nine games all taking responsibility for trying to make the difference and make things happen and giving absolutely everything to get the 3 points in each next game beginning with the game v Leeds on Monday

There's a great Game Of Thrones scene with Yara and Theone Greyjoy for this, when she tells him she needs Theone Greyjoy, the REAL Theone Greyjoy not the sad imposter left after Ramsay Bolton cut off his cock and she needs him to find him for her now

Can't find a youtube for it, but that's where we are now with all our players

Steveo
9th April 2023, 10:18 PM
https://youtu.be/LALo9M0OU30

Nineteenx
22nd April 2024, 02:41 AM
I tell you what, if these boys pull off the fairytale ending it’s going to be a very long fucking list

Nineteenx
22nd April 2024, 09:55 PM
Inter win their 20th League title

The odds are stacking up