PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars

Aldo1988
24th August 2019, 10:02 PM
Wheres the old thread gone?

Anyone else a little bit excited about this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1z3tao7hHEg

Balinkay
24th August 2019, 10:23 PM
Saw the trailer today - looks like it has potential. No idea what the story will be about, but whatever it is, it's going to bring some much needed clarity to the post Empire/ pre First Order days.

teesred
25th August 2019, 05:42 PM
Very excited. Looks really cool, by Jon Favreau who did Iron man movies. Lots of easter eggs in the trailer too.
Its set 5 years after return of the jedi.

toneata
25th August 2019, 09:06 PM
It can't be worse than Solo..............but I bet everyone was pumped after that first trailer too.

Balinkay
25th August 2019, 10:07 PM
Didn't even see Soylo - was it as bland as everyone says?

Clungeman
26th August 2019, 07:45 AM

I had an unscheduled nap in the cinema when I went to see it. Read into that what you will!

stevie harkness
26th August 2019, 09:08 AM
Star Wars is an incredibly creative story, hopefully they'll get another few trilogies out of it before it gets stale.

redebreck
26th August 2019, 09:40 AM
I've seen either five or six, I believe, starting with the mark hamill trilogy. How many more are there, and are the more recent ones worth looking at?

Clungeman
26th August 2019, 12:00 PM
Star Wars is an incredibly creative story, hopefully they'll get another few trilogies out of it before it gets stale.

I've seen either five or six, I believe, starting with the mark hamill trilogy. How many more are there, and are the more recent ones worth looking at?

My sarcasm-o-meter is on the blink I think - I assume you're both taking the piss there right?

stevie harkness
26th August 2019, 12:54 PM
My sarcasm-o-meter is on the blink I think - I assume you're both taking the piss there right?

Guilty as charged! :-) but I can't speak for redebreck

redebreck
26th August 2019, 07:39 PM

Nope, I enjoyed the first three early ones, the later two/three were OKish. Genuinely don't know how many there have been in total.

Balinkay
26th August 2019, 08:01 PM
@redebreck You're better off. If you like Star Wars, I'd recommend giving some of the cartoons a look.

The new trailer for episode 9 though… atrocious. Possibly the worst trailer I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P94M4jlrytQ

RedNoodle
26th August 2019, 09:18 PM
Disney will keep milking "Star Wars" for all its worth until such a time as its rotting corpse is so decayed and foul smelling that even those who have a non functioning olfactory system will stay away from its foul stench.

https://media.giphy.com/media/zOwMyw7lnpLmE/giphy.gif

Clungeman
27th August 2019, 08:31 AM
Nope, I enjoyed the first three early ones, the later two/three were OKish. Genuinely don't know how many there have been in total.

Ah right, fair do's! A quick overview for you then:

Original Trilogy
Star Wars (which was retconned to be called Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope)
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

This is the classic trilogy, the one that shaped the childhoods of millions (including me). Interestingly, after George Lucas directed the first movie he showed it to loads of his film making buddies (Spielberg, De Palma, Coppola, Scorsese) who basically helped him out in the edit to put together the final cut. Empire and Jedi were produced by Lucas, and based on his story; but written and directed by others.

Prequel Trilogy
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Otherwise known as the 'Binks' trilogy. Lucas took back the reins and did all the writing and directing for this (aside from the script for Attack of the Clones) and proved beyond all doubt that he is a visionary with a huge need for an editor (like George RR Martin, or Vince McMahon). Shitty exposition (midichlorians anyone?), clunky dialogue (Anakin / Padme love story) over-reliance on CGI (Yoda vs Count Dooku) and horrible characters (the afore-mentioned Jar Jar Binks) basically ruined the most eagerly anticipated movie events of all time at that point.

The Disneyfication of Star Wars
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

And thus we arrive at the current crop, JJ Abrams didn't do a terrible job with The Force Awakens (although not without some notable issues), it was basically a more diversely cast remake of the original Star Wars, whereas Rian Johnson made an utter car-wreck of a movie in The Last Jedi. The Rise of Skywalker is due out this Christmas, but we'll have to see how that does in the face of the current Star Wars fatigue going around; which brings us to...

Shameless Disney Cash-Ins
Rogue One
Solo: A Star Wars Story

Rogue One wasn't bad, probably the best outing since Disney took over Star Wars - the only problems with it were that it lasted probably 20 minutes or so too long and the cast had two or three characters too many. Solo was just boring, somehow managed to make one of the most beloved, charismatic characters in cinema history into an absolute non-entity. And it had Emilia Clarke in it, which is always a terrible thing for a film.

Disney will keep milking "Star Wars" for all its worth until such a time as its rotting corpse is so decayed and foul smelling that even those who have a non functioning olfactory system will stay away from its foul stench.

I agree with you totally there as far as the films go, but I do like the look of The Mandalorian from the trailer, and Ewan MacGregor doing an Obi-Wan series could work too as he was one of the very few good things in the prequel trilogy.

Balinkay
27th August 2019, 08:43 AM
I don't get why they've not done Obi Wan spin offs yet. However many they make, they'll be successful. We love Ewan!

I'm quietly excited for what kind of animations they come up with. Rebels was… eh… not terrible, but clearly aimed at a younger audience. However, they're making a season 7 of "The clone wars" and while that series started poorly, its quality skyrocketed after season 3/4 - the storylines improved drastically and the CGI buget went through the roof. Can't wait honestly. Think they've announced they're working on another show as well.

This is quite important to me since to this day the best piece os Star Wars I've seen is Genndy Tartakowski's Clone Wars mini-series from the early 2000's. And I'm including the original trilogy in this. What a fenomenal piece of visual art that is. The whole thing is on youtube if anyone is interested - glorious 2d animation, beautiful music and more fleshed out characters than in any of the non-original trilogies. It's only a total of two hours or so long too, so it's a quick watch.

redebreck
27th August 2019, 08:59 PM
Ah right, fair do's! A quick overview for you then:

Original Trilogy
Star Wars (which was retconned to be called Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope)
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

This is the classic trilogy, the one that shaped the childhoods of millions (including me). Interestingly, after George Lucas directed the first movie he showed it to loads of his film making buddies (Spielberg, De Palma, Coppola, Scorsese) who basically helped him out in the edit to put together the final cut. Empire and Jedi were produced by Lucas, and based on his story; but written and directed by others.

Prequel Trilogy
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Otherwise known as the 'Binks' trilogy. Lucas took back the reins and did all the writing and directing for this (aside from the script for Attack of the Clones) and proved beyond all doubt that he is a visionary with a huge need for an editor (like George RR Martin, or Vince McMahon). Shitty exposition (midichlorians anyone?), clunky dialogue (Anakin / Padme love story) over-reliance on CGI (Yoda vs Count Dooku) and horrible characters (the afore-mentioned Jar Jar Binks) basically ruined the most eagerly anticipated movie events of all time at that point.

The Disneyfication of Star Wars
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

And thus we arrive at the current crop, JJ Abrams didn't do a terrible job with The Force Awakens (although not without some notable issues), it was basically a more diversely cast remake of the original Star Wars, whereas Rian Johnson made an utter car-wreck of a movie in The Last Jedi. The Rise of Skywalker is due out this Christmas, but we'll have to see how that does in the face of the current Star Wars fatigue going around; which brings us to...

Shameless Disney Cash-Ins
Rogue One
Solo: A Star Wars Story

Rogue One wasn't bad, probably the best outing since Disney took over Star Wars - the only problems with it were that it lasted probably 20 minutes or so too long and the cast had two or three characters too many. Solo was just boring, somehow managed to make one of the most beloved, charismatic characters in cinema history into an absolute non-entity. And it had Emilia Clarke in it, which is always a terrible thing for a film.

I agree with you totally there as far as the films go, but I do like the look of The Mandalorian from the trailer, and Ewan MacGregor doing an Obi-Wan series could work too as he was one of the very few good things in the prequel trilogy.

Brilliant synopsis. Many thanks.

redebreck
27th August 2019, 09:01 PM
I don't get why they've not done Obi Wan spin offs yet. However many they make, they'll be successful. We love Ewan!

I'm quietly excited for what kind of animations they come up with. Rebels was… eh… not terrible, but clearly aimed at a younger audience. However, they're making a season 7 of "The clone wars" and while that series started poorly, its quality skyrocketed after season 3/4 - the storylines improved drastically and the CGI buget went through the roof. Can't wait honestly. Think they've announced they're working on another show as well.

This is quite important to me since to this day the best piece os Star Wars I've seen is Genndy Tartakowski's Clone Wars mini-series from the early 2000's. And I'm including the original trilogy in this. What a fenomenal piece of visual art that is. The whole thing is on youtube if anyone is interested - glorious 2d animation, beautiful music and more fleshed out characters than in any of the non-original trilogies. It's only a total of two hours or so long too, so it's a quick watch.

Have any of you seen Taff Wars on Youtube (assuming they haven't all been banned)?

teesred
27th August 2019, 10:33 PM

Solo is quality. Watch it and see. It gets unfairly panned because it didnt do as well as expected. The back story of Chewie and Han is good. Theres a few naff characters but all the new movies have a couple in each of them.

jozza800
28th August 2019, 10:30 AM
I'm an unashemed Star Wars fan and though the Madelorian trailer looked great! Appollo Creed in Star Wars. What more do want!

I really enjoyed the Force Awakens and Rogue One. They were solid films that certainly looked the part. The special effects (as well as some awful writing and acting/casting) ruined the Prequals. The often most derided TPM was probably the one I most enjoyed.

The Last Jedi had some interesting concepts and again looked pretty but the execution was appalling. It basically ended the story for everyone. If JJ Abrams manages to put together any kind of corehent finish to the 9 films he'll deserve all the Oscars as TLJ left him with very little wiggle room.

Solo was just brown. It was so dull to look at. All of the locations were mono tone, grey, brown and very bland. The story was ok but you have to go some to make Star Wars look bland.

Neither trailers for The Rise Of Skywalker (awful name) have me particularly excited. Compared to the excellent trailers for TLJ these are just very poor - so the film will probably be excellent! :)

Some fan theories suggesting that time travel will be involved and that Disney will use it so that it can tell a differnt story with the same characters like JJ did with Star Trek.

Balinkay
28th August 2019, 11:33 AM
You didn't like the prequel effects? Can't agree with you there - think they still hold up today some 15 years later.

But the dialogue. Oh that dialogue will never get better. Personally liked Episode III best - the least Jar-Jar, the best effects and the most fun over the top fights.

Saw a cool theory MaRey-Sue might be Luke's clone, one of many, which would go some way to repairing parts of her awfulness.

toneata
28th August 2019, 12:01 PM
I hated the prequels. Jar Jar ruined TPM, then Hayden Christensen's Anakin totally destroyed the next 2. Truly awful acting.

.....and, "from my point of view the jedi are evil", has to go down as one of the worst lines of dialogue ever.

Balinkay
28th August 2019, 03:23 PM
I don't think HeyDontActAgain was that bad as Anakin. I mean who the hell could make things like "I don't like sand" sound good. Think he was really believable as a tormented and extremely gifted young man in need of guidance.

jozza800
28th August 2019, 04:22 PM
You didn't like the prequel effects? Can't agree with you there - think they still hold up today some 15 years later.

But the dialogue. Oh that dialogue will never get better. Personally liked Episode III best - the least Jar-Jar, the best effects and the most fun over the top fights.

Saw a cool theory MaRey-Sue might be Luke's clone, one of many, which would go some way to repairing parts of her awfulness.

Especially AOTC and ROTS. Everything was shot infront of a green screen and it shows. It was basically a reverse of Who Framed Roger Rabbit! Even the Clone troopers were digital.

At least TPM had some practical effects and they filmed in real locations or well built sets.

the clone war era is pretty well shown in the likes of The Clone Wars series. And I loved the Genndy Tartakovsky short series leading right up to the start of ROTS.

RedNoodle
28th August 2019, 05:21 PM
They should have made the prequels look like the original trilogy. As soon as I saw robots that were from a time before the Empire but who were more advanced than those that supposedly came after them, I knew TPM and the rest of the prequels were going to be total sloblocks, and that was before Jar-Jar Binks showed up and made the Ewoks look like Sir Laurence Olivier clones.

It's all done to save costs, but by doing so they immediately dispensed with something that made the original trillogy so good. Another example of this is having a CGI version of "Clash of the Titans". Ray Harryhausen's stop motion animation is what made the original and his other films so visceral and memorable.

We don't need 'updated' or more 'glossy' versions of these films, we just needed, nay wanted more of the same.

Balinkay
28th August 2019, 07:46 PM
Especially AOTC and ROTS. Everything was shot infront of a green screen and it shows. It was basically a reverse of Who Framed Roger Rabbit! Even the Clone troopers were digital.

At least TPM had some practical effects and they filmed in real locations or well built sets.

the clone war era is pretty well shown in the likes of The Clone Wars series. And I loved the Genndy Tartakovsky short series leading right up to the start of ROTS.

You and me both pal - I event recommended it to redebreck earlier.

I do agree they look really CGI, but I'm inclined to give it a bit of a pass, seeing as they showed us so much more of each world than the original trilogy. I would have liked more practical effects for sure though.

Balinkay
28th August 2019, 07:47 PM
@Noods,

yeah, it's baffling why they strayed so far away from the original aesthetic. I'm not even sure it was significantly cheaper to do it with green screens back then.

redebreck
29th August 2019, 12:13 AM
I hated the prequels. Jar Jar ruined TPM, then Hayden Christensen's Anakin totally destroyed the next 2. Truly awful acting.

.....and, "from my point of view the jedi are evil", has to go down as one of the worst lines of dialogue ever.

can't disagree with the first sentence, where did the "jedi are evil" quote come from?
thanks everyone for the descriptions/analyses of the films and spin-offs, I will take a look when I can.

Balinkay
29th August 2019, 08:06 AM
It's quote from Anakin. Think he says it on Mustafar in the third film.

Clungeman
29th August 2019, 08:32 AM
You didn't like the prequel effects?

For me, it was the overuse / over-reliance on special effects that was the problem, rather than the actual quality of them. The scenes in Attack of the Clones with Obi-Wan on Kamino were all completely greenscreened, and the only other actor there was the guy playing Jango Fett - it all looked incredibly fake in a way that the practical effects in the original trilogy never did.

I don't think HeyDontActAgain was that bad as Anakin. I mean who the hell could make things like "I don't like sand" sound good. Think he was really believable as a tormented and extremely gifted young man in need of guidance.

I'm with Bali on this one, Hayden Christensen isn't a brilliant actor, but you could have had anybody in that role trying to work with that script and they still would have looked utter shit. Ewan MacGregor is probably the only actor that came out of those movies with their reputation intact. It's taken about 15 years for Natalie portman to get her career back on track!

Aldo1988
29th August 2019, 03:15 PM
The Phantom Menace - Jar-Jar Binks, the over use of CGI, the fact that the technology in the universe is better than it was in the later films (original ones) and that 20hr long race scene are reasons why I will never go back and watch that pile of shite.

Balinkay
29th August 2019, 03:21 PM
The worst part about the pod racing scene is that it's actually awesome. Just about 300% too long.

jozza800
29th August 2019, 04:14 PM
For me, it was the overuse / over-reliance on special effects that was the problem, rather than the actual quality of them. The scenes in Attack of the Clones with Obi-Wan on Kamino were all completely greenscreened, and the only other actor there was the guy playing Jango Fett - it all looked incredibly fake in a way that the practical effects in the original trilogy never did.

I'm with Bali on this one, Hayden Christensen isn't a brilliant actor, but you could have had anybody in that role trying to work with that script and they still would have looked utter shit. Ewan MacGregor is probably the only actor that came out of those movies with their reputation intact. It's taken about 15 years for Natalie portman to get her career back on track!

Only George Lucas could make Sam Jackson uncool.

toneata
30th August 2019, 04:12 PM

I'm probably on my own on this but I don't even like MacGregor in them, he tries too hard to be a young Alec Guinness instead of a young Obi Wan.

Anyway getting back to The Mandalorian, I had no idea that it's going to be an 8 part TV (Disney streaming) slot. Much more scope in that. From the trailer it looked like a big budget movie.

jozza800
16th September 2019, 01:43 PM
I had planned on watching the complete set of films (plus the short Clone Wars cartoon that leads upto ROTS) in chronological order.

Started with TPM. Not sure I can muster the enthusiasm to watch ATOC!

The Phantom Menace had some interesting concepts - I really liked the way The Emperor was playing both sides. Anakin and his mother as a slave. The introduction of the Sith.

But there were far too many things in the movie that thad me just shaking my head.

- R2 being the droid that saves the day and then is kighted for his effort. I like that in the SW universe that the droids have a personality, but tha twas just ridiculous.

- 3PO being built by Vader

- The whole concept of the 'Chosen One'. Boring and cliched. The whole reaction by the Jedi whn Qui-Gon brings Anakin infront of them. So rather than being trained as Jedi, they'd rather he develop his skills on his own or even worse be corrupted by the Dark Side? Pretty dumb.

jozza800
31st October 2019, 03:43 PM
Well, I did watch Atatck Of The Clones again. I dont know why I did.

Just dreadful from start to finish. Dialogue, Acting, Pacing, SFX. Just bad.

There are some scenes that look fan-made. Just watch the final battle on Geonosis, some of those rent-a-Jedis are quite clearly extras grabbed to fill out the scene.

Asian Lady at 0:30 seconds looks like she's directing traffic!
1:15 looks like Mortal Kombat game fx!
2:28 This guy is my accountant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut4WoDi-AEM

Just terrible.

Revenge Of The Sith this weekend. This is only marginally better tbh.

Balinkay
31st October 2019, 03:54 PM
RotS was decent I thought. Jar Jar doesn't even speak iirc.