PDA

View Full Version : What you watched last good or bad.

ianlfc
6th October 2019, 01:05 PM
I went and seen the Joker movie last night. Holy fuck what a mixed up character which was played perfect by Joaquin phoenix.It was bit of a slow burner but it got there in the end, alot may not like it being very dark but I thought it was brilliant . Definitely worth going to see.
Godfather of Harlem, It's a prequel to the film American Gangster. A series based on the true story of Bumpy Johnson starring Forest Whitaker.
2 episodes in but very very good.

Balinkay
6th October 2019, 02:34 PM
Just saw the first season of Peaky Blinders. Brilliantly shot, well acted, but the music sounds too much like they were going for a Guy Ritchie vibe at times and failing miserably. And the storylines… oh God, the main arcs read like they were written by a twelve year old who'd read one too many pirate novels but also enjoys a good bout of blood, gore and sex.

redebreck
7th October 2019, 12:05 AM
two series of Killing Eve, brilliant

toneata
8th October 2019, 06:10 PM
Really enjoyed the last couple of seasons of Fear the Walking Dead. Think it edges TWD at the moment, it's just not the same without Rick.

jozza800
9th October 2019, 04:12 PM
I went and seen the Joker movie last night. Holy fuck what a mixed up character which was played perfect by Joaquin phoenix.It was bit of a slow burner but it got there in the end, alot may not like it being very dark but I thought it was brilliant . Definitely worth going to see.
Godfather of Harlem, It's a prequel to the film American Gangster. A series based on the true story of Bumpy Johnson starring Forest Whitaker.
2 episodes in but very very good.

Joker was superb.

To me Joaquin Phoenix is certainly the most Joker looking of all the portrails on TV and Film. Nicholson and Legder, whilst very good in their respective films had too round a face. Phoenix has that gaunt, pointy feel that the Joker has always had. Funnily enough, I thought he felt less like the Joker when he actually transformed into him near the end of the film. The make up somehow softened his features.

Would love to see him in good Batman film.

Balinkay
9th October 2019, 11:38 PM
Just saw the Joker, thought it was pretty good. The supposed social commentary didn't hit too close to home, but it was still ok. Great performance by Joquin for sure. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ditto jozza, would love to see him and Bats. Maybe with Edward Cullen as Bruce Wayne.

reddownunder
27th October 2019, 11:15 AM
Just saw the first season of Peaky Blinders. Brilliantly shot, well acted, but the music sounds too much like they were going for a Guy Ritchie vibe at times and failing miserably. And the storylines… oh God, the main arcs read like they were written by a twelve year old who'd read one too many pirate novels but also enjoys a good bout of blood, gore and sex.

The first few seasons are good but the last couple have been meh. Boardwalk empire is similar but far superior if you haven't seen it yet

Balinkay
27th October 2019, 11:19 AM
I've been meaning to try it.

However, I've relapsed into my Supernatural obsession and I'm watching Sam and Dean fight Archangel Michael form an alternate dimension with Lucifer and the Antichrist at their side.

justme
29th October 2019, 03:18 AM
Anyone in to the expanse?, just half way through season 2. Its amazing in my opinion.

Aldo1988
29th October 2019, 11:41 AM
Green Book, what a great film, true story as well.

Clungeman
29th October 2019, 12:56 PM
Anyone in to the expanse?, just half way through season 2. Its amazing in my opinion.

The Expanse is the best sci-fi on television since Battlestar Galactica (which you could argue was more Space Opera than Sci-Fi I suppose) - I've just finished reading the latest book in the series, Tiamat's Wrath, and it is heading to some strange and dark places...

I've watched the first two episodes of Watchmen - so far I'm not massively sold on it and can't really see what the link to the original story is.

redebreck
29th October 2019, 05:20 PM
The Expanse is the best sci-fi on television since Battlestar Galactica (which you could argue was more Space Opera than Sci-Fi I suppose) - I've just finished reading the latest book in the series, Tiamat's Wrath, and it is heading to some strange and dark places...

I've watched the first two episodes of Watchmen - so far I'm not massively sold on it and can't really see what the link to the original story is.

what channel, please?

Clungeman
30th October 2019, 08:28 AM
what channel, please?

Watchmen is on Sky Atlantic (or available from any of the 'usual sources'), The Expanse is due to start it's next series on Amazon Prime in December.

redebreck
30th October 2019, 06:40 PM
Watchmen is on Sky Atlantic (or available from any of the 'usual sources'), The Expanse is due to start it's next series on Amazon Prime in December.

Ah, shame. Don't have any Sky or Amazon channels.

teesred
31st October 2019, 06:15 AM
Joker was superb.

To me Joaquin Phoenix is certainly the most Joker looking of all the portrails on TV and Film. Nicholson and Legder, whilst very good in their respective films had too round a face. Phoenix has that gaunt, pointy feel that the Joker has always had. Funnily enough, I thought he felt less like the Joker when he actually transformed into him near the end of the film. The make up somehow softened his features.

Would love to see him in good Batman film.

Brilliant film and a superb performance from Pheonix.
The last hour was absolutley awesome, I loved how dark it was and finally a DC related movie that matches any of the Marvel stuff (which I feel has completely reached saturation point). I thought the nod to King of Comedy was fantastic, I wonder if thats what gave them the idea to put De Niro in there? Or maybe they thought about it after he'd been cast.

teesred
31st October 2019, 06:17 AM
Mandalorian starts next week, looks like it'll be getting watched illegally in the UK as Disney plus channel isnt being broadcast until 2020 over here I read.
Trailers for it look very promising, directed by Jon Favreau whos work is good.

jozza800
31st October 2019, 03:27 PM
Just saw the Joker, thought it was pretty good. The supposed social commentary didn't hit too close to home, but it was still ok. Great performance by Joquin for sure. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ditto jozza, would love to see him and Bats. Maybe with Edward Cullen as Bruce Wayne.

Think he will surprise a lot of people.

We've never really seen the detective side of Batman. We've never seen him be the World's greatest detective. The Adam West series was about the closest we've got to seeing that side of him.

Matt Reeves has made some great films. The POA films were superb. I'm sure he'll treat the material with the respect it deserves.

jozza800
31st October 2019, 03:30 PM
Mandalorian starts next week, looks like it'll be getting watched illegally in the UK as Disney plus channel isnt being broadcast until 2020 over here I read.
Trailers for it look very promising, directed by Jon Favreau whos work is good.

Like the look of it.

I'm amazed this will be the first ever live action Star Wars tv series. Suppose it has to do with the cost of making it. They're specding eye watering sums of money on each of these episodes.

Balinkay
31st October 2019, 03:55 PM
They need to get the fans back on side for Episode 9 after the utter cinematic miscarriage that was Ep. 8 and, in part, Soylo.

Clungeman
1st November 2019, 10:48 AM
They need to get the fans back on side for Episode 9 after the utter cinematic miscarriage that was Ep. 8 and, in part, Soylo.

This will be the first Star Wars movie that I won't bother with at the cinema - the fatigue is that bad nowadays.

Balinkay
1st November 2019, 11:04 AM
I've not even bothered to watch Solo. Man, I fucking watched the Clone Wars movie! THE CLONE WARS MOVIE ABOUT JABBA'S SON. TWICE.

I'll watch Ep. 9 in the cinema, but more out of habit than anything else. They're so fucking bad at making these. What little Star Wars hope I have now firmly resides in the realm of animation.

Kev0909
1st November 2019, 01:43 PM
Paranormal activity -5/10 never been so bored

The shining bit of a classic, but not what i expected, first time watching it 6.5/10

teesred
1st November 2019, 05:36 PM
I've not even bothered to watch Solo. Man, I fucking watched the Clone Wars movie! THE CLONE WARS MOVIE ABOUT JABBA'S SON. TWICE.

I'll watch Ep. 9 in the cinema, but more out of habit than anything else. They're so fucking bad at making these. What little Star Wars hope I have now firmly resides in the realm of animation.

You should give Solo a watch Bali, its better than TFA and TLJ. I dont know why it gets so panned. Theres some really cool stuff in it.

teesred
1st November 2019, 05:40 PM
Like the look of it.

I'm amazed this will be the first ever live action Star Wars tv series. Suppose it has to do with the cost of making it. They're specding eye watering sums of money on each of these episodes.

Yeah I think it'll be really good.
Havent read about the sums per episode but its never going to be cheap when its Star Wars. Its set after Return of the Jedi, I thought the guy in carbonite looked like a Darth Maul type species. Shows a bit more in the second trailer that was released last week.
Im going to have to figure out how I'm going to watch it as I dont have an IPTV set up.

Balinkay
1st November 2019, 05:42 PM
You should give Solo a watch Bali, its better than TFA and TLJ. I dont know why it gets so panned. Theres some really cool stuff in it.

Really? Might give it a shot then, cheers! There are some excellent actors on display for sure.

jozza800
5th November 2019, 03:54 PM

Becuse it is very brown.

The one thing (Music aside) that Star Wars has always had is its visual appeal. Sets, locations, characters have always looked great. I think Solo is the first film that just wansn't very interesting to look at. It was all very bland/beige. It was a decent story just visually a bit meh.

eggy81
7th November 2019, 11:57 AM
Anyone tried watchmen yet. The new HBO series. Watched the pilot last night. Holy shit it pulls at the senses. I'm not familiar with the graphic novel or comics. I wonder will this hamper my understanding of this series.

Aldo1988
7th November 2019, 12:56 PM
Anyone tried watchmen yet. The new HBO series. Watched the pilot last night. Holy shit it pulls at the senses. I'm not familiar with the graphic novel or comics. I wonder will this hamper my understanding of this series.

Liked the film a lot but haven't got around to watching the program, not sure if I want to? Meet Alan Moore when I was a kid, he was scary looking but a nice guy (from what I remember, it was a long time ago).

eggy81
7th November 2019, 01:11 PM
Liked the film a lot but haven't got around to watching the program, not sure if I want to? Meet Alan Moore when I was a kid, he was scary looking but a nice guy (from what I remember, it was a long time ago).

Well watching it a standalone show and admittedly after spending a lot of time in the opening episode confused I'll still follow up and watch the next few. I think you should give the pilot a watch for sure.

On another note binge watched the first season of the lost in space remake on netflix over the last 3 nights.
Thoroughly enjoyed it. New season on the way.

teesred
9th November 2019, 03:10 AM
Becuse it is very brown.

The one thing (Music aside) that Star Wars has always had is its visual appeal. Sets, locations, characters have always looked great. I think Solo is the first film that just wansn't very interesting to look at. It was all very bland/beige. It was a decent story just visually a bit meh.

I liked it, still visually good too in my opinion. The mimban troopers looked cool. I guess it is very bleak in terms of its visuals compared to the others but I dont think that should detract from what is a good film. I'd much rather watch that than eposode 7 and 8. Especially 8 which was a pile of shite in every way.
On a side note, how stupid of Disney to not start the disney+ streaming until march 2020. Pretty much ensures everyone will be illegally pirating the Mandalorian.

eggy81
14th November 2019, 11:51 AM
Watched the first episode of the mandalorian there last night. Promising start. Only 40 minutes long for a change.

Balinkay
14th November 2019, 12:16 PM
Watched the first episode of the mandalorian there last night. Promising start. Only 40 minutes long for a change.

Where did you watch it eggy?

eggy81
14th November 2019, 03:11 PM
Where did you watch it eggy?

Titanium t.v. adroid app.

Balinkay
14th November 2019, 03:13 PM
Titanium t.v. adroid app.

Ah, cheers!

eggy81
14th November 2019, 05:43 PM
You need to download it from google. Not on the play store

vin
15th November 2019, 07:28 PM
Start-Up on Prime. Really good.

In the Line of Duty (think it was originally on BBC) but is now on Netflix

redebreck
15th November 2019, 10:32 PM
Start-Up on Prime. Really good.

In the Line of Duty (think it was originally on BBC) but is now on Netflix

Line of Duty is superb, think there are three series in total.

vin
15th November 2019, 10:47 PM
Line of Duty is superb, think there are three series in total.

Nah there are 5. 1 to 4 are on Netflix. I think Season 5 aired this year so it is not on there yet. I've just finished season 3

LFC vs PFC
16th November 2019, 10:42 AM
Just finished season one of The Boys, great fun even though the 'British' accent is a little wayward. It's kind of an anti superhero series.

Balinkay
16th November 2019, 10:51 AM
Isn't Karl Urban actually British?

Edit: Ah, sorry, just saw he's a Kiwi.

Clungeman
18th November 2019, 01:02 PM
Just finished season one of The Boys, great fun even though the 'British' accent is a little wayward. It's kind of an anti superhero series.

Absolutely loved The Boys! I've been a fan of the comic for years, so was a little bit wary when I saw it was being made into a tv series (particularly after the utter abortion that they made of Preacher), but this was an absolute joy. Anthony Starr was amazing as The Homelander I thought.

ianlfc
23rd November 2019, 12:12 PM
I'm a Celebrity 😂😂😂
That Caitlyn Jenner is a odd one , and I don't just mean the obvious. Give Caitlyn Jenner partner a Google search and you'll know what I mean.
Teenage daughters know about all that shit !!!

redebreck
23rd November 2019, 12:46 PM
I watched Cold Call on channel 5 this week. Great potential but ended up disappointing.
Also saw Liam Neeson in Non Stop. Great suspense film, really enjoyed it.

Aldo1988
25th November 2019, 11:58 AM
Watched The Joker and The Mandalorian (first 3 episodes) yesterday online. The Joker was a very good film and Joaquin Phoenix did a top job at playing the madman. Not sure where they will go after this film as there are a few lead on's in it but won't go into that on here. Also though The Mandalorian was very good and am intrigued as to where the story line goes with it, again a lot of Star Wars nostalgia in it which you'd expect from the new Disney Star Wars. Again, won't go into details about it incase anyone hasn't seen them yet!

The Joker - 8 out of 10.
The Mandalorian - 8 out of 10.

Balinkay
25th November 2019, 01:18 PM
Just saw the Mandalorian yesterday too. I quite like the feel of it, even if it's moving faar to quickly for my liking. They could have stretched those first three episodes into five or six quite easily and I'd have been glad. Still, it looks decent thus far.

Also saw the first three episodes of Gendy Tartakovski's Primal. It's a destillation of what you want from Gendy.

teesred
25th November 2019, 01:50 PM
Mandalorian is already the best show this year and its only 3 episodes in. Its visually amazing obviously but that 3rd episode was classic tv material.
I love it.

Balinkay
25th November 2019, 02:24 PM
Also Primal hasn't yet had a single line of dialogue in its first four episodes and yet it's made me more emotional than pretty much anything I've seen in the last few years.

jozza800
25th November 2019, 05:55 PM
Mandalorian is already the best show this year and its only 3 episodes in. Its visually amazing obviously but that 3rd episode was classic tv material.
I love it.

I've only got through the first 2 eps but so far it has been superb. Some really nice callbacks without them being too obvious.

My only issue with it is the music. Needs to have a moe JW feel to it. The end credit music is taken directly from Rocky!

teesred
26th November 2019, 10:47 AM
I've only got through the first 2 eps but so far it has been superb. Some really nice callbacks without them being too obvious.

My only issue with it is the music. Needs to have a moe JW feel to it. The end credit music is taken directly from Rocky!

I think the music is good in parts but not great overall. Wait till you see episode 3. It'll blow you away.

Clungeman
26th November 2019, 01:30 PM
I've watched the first three episodes of The Mandalorian and so far it's okay - nothing special for me though. I'm sure it's pure coincidence that Disney have put out a show with the cute little baby Yoda in it just before Christmas shopping season starts...

Personally, I'm absolutely hooked on Critical Role on YouTube at the moment.

RedNoodle
26th November 2019, 08:12 PM
I've watched the first three episodes of The Mandalorian and so far it's okay - nothing special for me though. I'm sure it's pure coincidence that Disney have put out a show with the cute little baby Yoda in it just before Christmas shopping season starts...

Personally, I'm absolutely hooked on Critical Role on YouTube at the moment.,

Are you a RPG/D&D fan then?

Clungeman
27th November 2019, 08:27 AM
I am yes, getting a game going over here in January - AD&D 5th edition rules, DMing for a bunch of guys completely new to the game.

Can't wait!

(By the way, moved to Windows 10 here at work so the quote function in Chrome just hangs...)

RedNoodle
27th November 2019, 11:34 AM
I am yes, getting a game going over here in January - AD&D 5th edition rules, DMing for a bunch of guys completely new to the game.

Can't wait!

(By the way, moved to Windows 10 here at work so the quote function in Chrome just hangs...)

Your own scenarios or pre made?

If I could get out the house it's something I'd like to do. I wish I knew where I put my tub of dice and various manuals. I enjoyed reading my various monster manuals.

Clungeman
27th November 2019, 12:52 PM
My own scenarios for the most part with a few bits "borrowed" here and there from a variety of sources.

I've read that there's loads of people play over skype, whatsapp etc these days - so you don't necessarily have to be there in person. Although I must admit, I wouldn't be keen on doing it that way myself - as a DM it must be easier to control a game if everyone is in the same place. I'm pretty sure you'd still need your dice though!

I honestly can't recommend Critical Role highly enough - all the players are professional voice actors so their characterisations are superb, and Matt Mercer is the Dungeon Master we all wish we had running a campaign when we were younger. The episodes are very long though, each one covers an entire session which can be anything from three hours up to six and a half hours. There are two campaigns that they've done so far, which is about 200 episodes. I'm only seven episodes in, so the basic maths there suggests that it'lll be a fair while until I'm entirely up to date!

dicko1969
28th November 2019, 05:06 AM
Money Heist
Top Boy
👊✌

RedNoodle
28th November 2019, 07:45 PM
@Clungeman

Well at least you've got something to keep you entertained for a while. I've had the first few episodes of "Critcal Juice" on my phone for a while but I seem to get distracted and never get past the first one. With that being the case I don't think I'll be listening to "Critical Hit" for a while.

In terms of 'online D&D' a virtual dice roller/RNG is used to stop cheating. Are you into minatures/figurines as well? I liked looking at them back in the day. Painting them and getting them looking good is a real skill.

Clungeman
29th November 2019, 09:06 AM
I tried with the miniatures back when I was a kid, but it became swiftly apparent that I had no talent for painting them whatsoever! I do use unpainted miniatures in games because as much as it is played in the mind, in combat scenes it is pretty much essential that everyone knows where everything is.

One thing I did for everyone in the group I'll be playing with in January is buy them each their own set of dice. I had wanted to get each of them a miniature for their character, but then one of them decided he was going to be a half-orc ranger which apparently has never previously been chosen so no company ever bothered to make the figurine!

Kev0909
29th November 2019, 07:28 PM
"make us dream"

About gerrard/lfc obvs

10/10

redebreck
29th November 2019, 08:12 PM
"make us dream"

About gerrard/lfc obvs

10/10

where?

Balinkay
1st December 2019, 01:06 PM
With every passing episode of the Mandalorian I get the feeling that it should have been an animated show.

ianlfc
1st December 2019, 01:26 PM
The Irishman, Bloody brilliant. The acting was unreal and a brilliant story.
I loved it as its very like Goodfellas which is my favourite film.

CCTV
1st December 2019, 03:06 PM

Watched it last night, will watch it again but a good watch. 3 and a half hours.
Reckon the soundtrack could be worth getting, nice music.

CCTV
1st December 2019, 03:08 PM
There was a half hour or so, where anytime I saw someone I was thinking he's gonna get whacked. Even the person narrating as an older Man which doesnt make much sense:D
But it had that vibe and atmosphere.

ianlfc
1st December 2019, 04:14 PM
There was a half hour or so, where anytime I saw someone I was thinking he's gonna get whacked. Even the person narrating as an older Man which doesnt make much sense:D
But it had that vibe and atmosphere.

I know it's wrong but the Mobsters back in the day were cool as fuck .

RedNoodle
2nd December 2019, 02:21 AM
I've never got the appeal of 'gangster flicks'. There are enough corrupt, evil, violent and morally reprehensible people in the world as it is. I for one certainly don't want to spend my leisure time watching a few more.

Balinkay
2nd December 2019, 08:47 AM
But would you spend your free time watching a few more of them get their just desserts?

Clungeman
2nd December 2019, 10:39 AM
With every passing episode of the Mandalorian I get the feeling that it should have been an animated show.

It all seems very "low stakes" to me. I don't really see the point of casting Pedro Pascal in the lead if they're going to keep him under a helmet and armour all the way through and digitize his voice.

Still, I'm sure the baby Yoda toys will be in the shops just in time for Christmas...

Balinkay
2nd December 2019, 11:03 AM
I don't mind it being low stakes - Logan died protecting like 5 kids after having saved the world like four times. That's fine.

I just don't get the point of making it live action - if you want it live action, give me one hour episodes where everything doesn't seem to predictably follow ALL the tropes and has time for character and setting development. Give me some time to stew and take in the atmosphere. This feels ultra rushed.

This sort of ultra short intro, leading to a short fight with a clear and on the nose moral message a three year old could understand is what I'd expect of a decent animated series due to lack of time and money. Not this.

Hell, the 2003 micro series by Genndy Tartakovski was way better at creating atmosphere and character development than this. Though to be fair it was better than most of the films too.

Balinkay
2nd December 2019, 03:04 PM
Just saw The Irishman. Damn. Seeing all those actors at once for what is probably the final time. It was a pleasure. Amazing cast and a pretty damn good film. It felt old school and I loved it. Think I'll need time to think about it to fully assess how much I liked it.

Also this song is glorious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxKTy_ymTjc&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3m-2wVzMmBGGm6Reo7LPt-P0Pki9Z5Cs_jwinbb4DFbRVFKhrLbC5veuM

RedNoodle
2nd December 2019, 03:53 PM
But would you spend your free time watching a few more of them get their just desserts?

Most gangster films seem to be about different gangs waging war against each other. I like to have someone to root for.

They're just not my thing.

Kev0909
3rd December 2019, 08:03 PM
where?

Amazon prime, and there's a dvd, and it's probably online somewhere

probably not a 10/10 but it's gerrard and liverpool, how can you not love it?

Femmefootyfan
8th December 2019, 05:47 PM
Just finished watching The Boys. Well worth a watch and lots of scope for a second series.
If you're into slightly childish inbetweeners style comedy then Young Offenders is a good watch.....Very strong Irish Accents though so some may need subtitles

teesred
8th December 2019, 10:31 PM

I thought it was okay. Good acting as you'd expect with a stellar cast.
I just think the Hoffa theme made it drag a bit.
Dont think I'd watch it again which is why its not a Scorcese classic for me.

Clungeman
13th December 2019, 02:12 PM
Series 4 of The Expanse was released today on Amazon, so I'll be blasting through that over the weekend no doubt.

Off to see Jumanji: The Next Level tomorrow evening too.

LFC vs PFC
19th December 2019, 11:16 AM
Rise of Skywalker. Without giving anything away, it's a return to form for those people that liked Ja Ja Binks and Attack of the Clones.

dicko1969
19th December 2019, 04:19 PM
I thought it was okay. Good acting as you'd expect with a stellar cast.
I just think the Hoffa theme made it drag a bit.
Dont think I'd watch it again which is why its not a Scorcese classic for me.

Agree with that.
I found it boring to be honest.
Script dull.
And the younger de niro was difficult to make him look younger.

dicko1969
19th December 2019, 04:21 PM
Series please

reddownunder
22nd December 2019, 06:20 AM
Rise of Skywalker. Without giving anything away, it's a return to form for those people that liked Ja Ja Binks and Attack of the Clones.

So it's shit then?

Balinkay
22nd December 2019, 10:05 AM
I saw it and got out of the theatre not feeling too bad honestly. It wasn't a great film and it has a huge number of issues, but it at least tries to fix some of the idiocy of The Last Jedi and has a few genuinely cool moments that a lore nerd might kind of like. Furthermore, there's genuine emotion at times.

It's not a great film, but it's better than 8 and I will probably watch it again at some point.

Insidious
22nd December 2019, 11:26 AM
Speaking of Rian Johnson - Knives Out is a genuinely engaging film. Rian is clearly a "capable" film-maker if we judge off Knives Out, yet Last Jedi was utter garbage.

Balinkay
22nd December 2019, 11:45 AM
I've heard he's a more than decent filmmaker. Apparently directed some Breaking Bad episodes!

He just acted like a clueless egomaniac when making Episode 8 and now he'll be disliked by dozens of millions around the world for ever. But to be fair, the blame can not be laid solely at his feet. Not a chance.

teesred
22nd December 2019, 10:41 PM
Im upto episode 7 of the Mandalorian. An absolutley fantastic show. Cannot wait for the blu ray release.
Last episode next week. Its been a blast.

teesred
27th December 2019, 10:14 PM
Finished Mandalorian. Best TV show this year by a stretch, absolutley outstanding. Cant wait for the blu ray release.
Watchedvthe 3 part BBC christmas carol. Really good I thought, different angle on the story in parts which was excellent. Good cast too.

Nineteenx
28th December 2019, 08:58 PM
Been watching Game Of Thrones again, it was superb right up until the last 2 seasons, when they rather rushed it all, there was far less politics and manouvering and cloak and dagger AND the ending was pants, when you watch it all back and look what they went through, the ending was just stupid

Insidious
1st January 2020, 11:37 PM
Episode IX.

Oh Dear oh Dear oh Dear.

jozza800
3rd January 2020, 01:58 PM
Star Wars 9 - The Rise Of Skywalker

Looked and sounded great, had some nice nods to previous films. Probabaly the new cast's best performance of the 3 films.

However, what an absolute garbled mess they made of the story. Incoherent, rushed and ultimately disspointing.

6/10

teesred
3rd January 2020, 02:13 PM
Not looking forward to episode 9 at all but im going at some point with my boys. Mandalorian series' different gravy to episode 7 and 8 and I dare say 9 without having seen it yet.

jozza800
3rd January 2020, 05:37 PM
Not looking forward to episode 9 at all but im going at some point with my boys. Mandalorian series' different gravy to episode 7 and 8 and I dare say 9 without having seen it yet.

Without doubt.

They should have given the films to Favreau.

teesred
5th January 2020, 12:33 AM
Just watched Episode 9 earlier. Fucks sake. Its just marginally better than The last Jedi but thats not saying much. There were a few parts I liked but as with the other 2 I very much do7bt I'll watch them again. They just add zero to the whole saga for me (whereas Rogue one and Solo do). The prequels had their flaws but theyre like the Godfather trilogy in comparison to the last 3.
Some parts are cringeworthy and just plain stupid and theres not much in terms of character from any of the cast either. Very poor indeed and just needs to stop.

LFC vs PFC
5th January 2020, 02:19 AM
Zombieland Double Tap. Great fun. Any time you get to watch Harrelson for an hour and a half is a time well spent for me!

eggy81
6th January 2020, 01:52 AM
Finished Mandalorian. Best TV show this year by a stretch, absolutley outstanding. Cant wait for the blu ray release.
Watchedvthe 3 part BBC christmas carol. Really good I thought, different angle on the story in parts which was excellent. Good cast too.

I think lost in space is better. Mandalorian is great though.

Nineteenx
18th January 2020, 09:24 AM
Mike Tyson on youtube, fucking hell he was an absolute beast in his prime, still awesome to watch again and I was lucky enough to see his fights back in the day when he first burst onto the scene

reddownunder
18th January 2020, 11:17 AM
Mr Robot 4th and final season. It's a great watch and quite different from everything else on TV. I think keeping a series short is a good idea as the likes of game of thrones, Vikings and others got stale after 4 seasons or so

teesred
25th January 2020, 03:16 PM
Mike Tyson on youtube, fucking hell he was an absolute beast in his prime, still awesome to watch again and I was lucky enough to see his fights back in the day when he first burst onto the scene

Have you read his autobiography? Fantastic read. What a life hes had, extreme highs and lows.

Nineteenx
28th January 2020, 03:32 AM
Just saw the end of a film called 'Lone survivor' really awful film, particularly it's use of numerous photos of fallen US servicemen portraying them as 'fallen heroes' at the films end, they're not 'fallen heroes' or 'protectors of the world' they are foreign imperialist invaders who have caused untold issues worldwide through their activities in the middle east invading countries to try and steal their natural resources or secure areas to run pipelines to pump natural resources through and peddling propaganda to manufacture an entirely false perceived right or need for their transgressions.

I have nothing against any of the soldiers, I expect the vast majority of them sign up for legitimate reasons, to serve and protect their country, but that isn't what they're used for

Nineteenx
15th February 2020, 04:36 AM
Watched 'As good as it gets' again the other day as it came on the Sony Movie Channel, still funny as fuck and highly recommended :D

Insidious
15th February 2020, 10:46 AM
Second series of Sex Education is decent enough.

Nineteenx
18th February 2020, 02:34 AM
Lol, I'd forgotten all about this, it popped up on my youtube after I'd searched Charlie Sheen winning, they were from the same time period

hMtZfW2z9dw

Winning! i had A LOT of fun with that, back in the day some online friends and I were all world top 20 in online gang matches, grab the bag and hold your own in Red Dead Redemption online, we used to have battles against all the other top crews, the US and Canadian guys took it really really seriously and the language, baiting and level of anger and volatility from a few was insane, and it went next level after we'd whooped their ass and I busted 'Winning' down the mic :D :D :D Good times through bad times

Nineteenx
18th February 2020, 02:43 AM
Had a few World records back in the day as a top gamer ;)

Nq9yRAPB8EM

ianlfc
19th February 2020, 07:40 PM
After that shitshow in Madrid, BT had a film about the late Jimmy Greaves. Or as he was known back in the day the great Jimmy Greaves.
Growing up with Saint and Greavesie, (Saturday afternoon football programme ) I loved him back then, very witty and he knew his football. Being a kid I never knew how good or what life he led. So this film was amazing, and laid it all out warts n all. A great insight into a man who had it all, lost it and regained it.
Highly recommended.

Nineteenx
22nd February 2020, 11:05 PM
I'm currently watching Commando just for the banter, it's VERY bad, still it did have the obligatory hotel fight scene in which they have a fight that sees them burst through into the room next door with the girl with the big titties out in it :D aaaaah the 80's, cheesy one liners obligatory big titty action and when no-one knew who the filthy or UAE FC were :D

justme
22nd February 2020, 11:46 PM
been watching the Picard series. its way to slow for my liking

RedNoodle
23rd February 2020, 06:54 AM
I just watched Tyson Fury beat Deontay Wilder. It's the worst thing I've watched in ages, namely in terms of the result.

Nineteenx
23rd February 2020, 08:08 AM
I just watched Tyson Fury beat Deontay Wilder. It's the worst thing I've watched in ages, namely in terms of the result.

It's the worst boxing match I've watched in ages because Wilder got a burst ear drum in the second round and was fucked thereafter, his balacne completely gone, he fell over 2 or 3 times just trying to throw a punch or avoid one so ended up spending the remaining rounds backing himself into the corner where he had the ropes to steady himself hoping he could get lucky with one of his big rights until his corner threw the towel in

RedNoodle
23rd February 2020, 08:41 AM
I'm currently watching Commando just for the banter, it's VERY bad, still it did have the obligatory hotel fight scene in which they have a fight that sees them burst through into the room next door with the girl with the big titties out in it :D aaaaah the 80's, cheesy one liners obligatory big titty action and when no-one knew who the filthy or UAE FC were :D

I watched that. When he burst into the room I thought it was two women for a second. I thought "surely I would have remembered this part?".

Balinkay
26th February 2020, 11:16 PM
Neon Genesis Evangelion + End of Evangelion.

Absolue genius. Starts off like any other normal mecha anime but it gives you subtle clues that that's not what it is along the way. It takes a while to get going, but holy fuck when it does! Absolutely amazing series. I genuinely regret not seeing it earlier in my life - think it could have helped me through some tough times.

Brilliant piece of art. Not much of an anime fan in general, but this was just splendid. I feel like I've become better at existing after seeing it. Can't give it any higher praise than that.

toneata
3rd March 2020, 04:50 PM
Hunters on Amazon.

Really enjoyed it but it seems you'll either love it or hate it, with some saying it's a poor man's inglorious bastards. Some of the reviews are really sad, clearly quite a few have a problem with a TV SHOW depicting white people being hunted down and killed.

Martyboy
4th March 2020, 09:06 PM
It's the worst boxing match I've watched in ages because Wilder got a burst ear drum in the second round and was fucked thereafter, his balacne completely gone, he fell over 2 or 3 times just trying to throw a punch or avoid one so ended up spending the remaining rounds backing himself into the corner where he had the ropes to steady himself hoping he could get lucky with one of his big rights until his corner threw the towel in

Not according to this...The heavy suit excuse was hilarious...He was outclassed,simples....:)

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/26/deontay-wilder-reveals-details-ear-injury-tyson-fury-loss-12309811/

Martyboy
4th March 2020, 09:11 PM
I'm currently into an all 92 episode re-run of Starsky & Hutch on DVD....That,then the News then MOTD on BBC1 circa late 70's....Great Days!!...:)

Nineteenx
4th March 2020, 11:52 PM
Currently watching Taken for the umpteenth time, never gets tired

jZOywn1qArI

Insidious
5th March 2020, 09:46 AM
Watched a couple of the episodes of the Witcher and am surprised so many of my friends loved it.

Don't hate it by any means, but some of the acting/dialogue/scene construction is fairly questionable.

CCTV
5th March 2020, 01:51 PM
The darkest hour - a tear jerking epic 10/10

CCTV
5th March 2020, 01:53 PM
Narcos: watched the Mexico 2 series first really good, hope they take their chapo on in the next series.

Watched the 3 series one on Columbia too, caught myself seduced by the charm of Escobar and realised I'd become immune to his bloodbath as it went on. Really likeable bad guy!!

eggy81
22nd March 2020, 01:07 PM
Narcos: watched the Mexico 2 series first really good, hope they take their chapo on in the next series.

Watched the 3 series one on Columbia too, caught myself seduced by the charm of Escobar and realised I'd become immune to his bloodbath as it went on. Really likeable bad guy!!

Season 1 and 2 of Columbia's version qerebrilkiant. The cali cartel less so imo. Just starting Mexico now. Hope it matches up. Your right about feeling empathy for Escobar. Really weird feeling. Anti hero type of character but just a bad bastard terrorist in reality.

Nineteenx
27th March 2020, 12:33 AM
Watched Contagion on ITV2 tonight, wasn't that great but was very similar to our current situation

toneata
28th March 2020, 11:04 AM
Watched the first 3 eps of Tiger King on Netflix and I'm struggling to see what all the fuss is about, thought 'Don't f*ck with Cats' was much better.

Finished Picard, had high hopes but nothing special.

Ozark is back so that's a guaranteed win for the weekend.

LFC vs PFC
31st March 2020, 11:52 PM
Hunters on Amazon.

Really enjoyed it but it seems you'll either love it or hate it, with some saying it's a poor man's inglorious bastards. Some of the reviews are really sad, clearly quite a few have a problem with a TV SHOW depicting white people being hunted down and killed.

Just watching that with the wife at the mo. Some of it is tough watching, especially the parts with Merv and Mindy's son.

Nineteenx
1st April 2020, 12:08 AM
I've been watching a lot of Crime Investigation and Crime Investigation Discovery, it's mostly murders and mostly for money out of pure greed, sometimes as a result of love triangles, my conclusion is society has created a lot of monsters and there are some incredibly stupid criminals out there

I don't agree with divorce in most circumstances, if someone's abusive physically or mentally then it's OK, a lot of people get married and divorced far too quickly and easily. You're supposed to work at marriages, the vows pretty much explain it's not all going to be plain sailing, if you don't have any intention of doing that, you shouldn't get married just for your big day out ready to knock it all on the head at the first few bumps in the road. My mother and father have been married for nearly 60 years, they've been through a lot and had a lot of ups and downs and crisis'

toneata
4th April 2020, 04:58 PM
Just watching that with the wife at the mo. Some of it is tough watching, especially the parts with Merv and Mindy's son.

Yeah it's pretty brutal at times.

LFC vs PFC
4th April 2020, 07:13 PM
Yeah it's pretty brutal at times.

Finished it now and enjoyed it apart from the last 20 seconds, though it let down the whole thing by lazy writing.

teesred
7th April 2020, 09:54 PM
Disney + is the absolute boom. All the marvel cartoons from when I was a kid, it's great lockdown viewing.
Been watching the malcolm X series on netflix too. Excellent which is rare for netflix as 99 percent of the documentary content is sensationalist, doctored shite. IMO anyway.

Martyboy
8th April 2020, 09:16 PM
Love a sesh on the Amazon Firestick when at Mart's Mansion....Been getting into this guy's YouTube vids about Covid-19......Check out the latest about a possible vaccine and treatments....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNDE12HymYc

ianlfc
11th April 2020, 08:48 AM
The Tiger King.
That's some fucked up shit right there !!

Amazing to think there's more Tigers in America in private ownership than there is wild around the world. Never mind Joe Exotic and Carol fucking Baskin 😂😂😂

toneata
12th April 2020, 01:23 PM
The Tiger King.

Amazing to think there's more Tigers in America in private ownership than there is wild around the world. Never mind Joe Exotic and Carol fucking Baskin ������

America is still one of the most beautiful countries I've ever visited, stunning diverse landscape ............unfortunately it's also teeming with loonies, absolutely infested with them.

LFC vs PFC
14th April 2020, 09:47 AM
The Tiger King.

Amazing to think there's more Tigers in America in private ownership than there is wild around the world. Never mind Joe Exotic and Carol fucking Baskin 😂😂😂

Two episodes in.

These people shouldn't be allowed to vote, let alone own AK47s and tigers.

How that "Doc" Antle hasn't been locked up is beyond me. Let alone the drug lord who kept his fortune and served only 12 years.

Meanwhile, if you've seen Mskinv a Murderer, Avery remains in prison based in little/no credible evidence and can't get a retrial.

teesred
14th April 2020, 09:54 PM
Two episodes in.

These people shouldn't be allowed to vote, let alone own AK47s and tigers.

How that "Doc" Antle hasn't been locked up is beyond me. Let alone the drug lord who kept his fortune and served only 12 years.

Meanwhile, if you've seen Mskinv a Murderer, Avery remains in prison based in little/no credible evidence and can't get a retrial.

Have you looked at the evidence that was left out of making a murderer? I
That docu-series is cleverly made, I dont think hes as innocent as made out. No doubt the manatawk PD are shady and he was stitched up first time round but the second time I'm not sure. Theres no reason to leave out what they did if they didnt think it wouldn't influence the viewer in my book. Plus the blatant smut and smear of the police in parts is both unnecessary and unrelated to the case. Yet again it's to get you on his side.
That's why I have a problem with Netflix docs. They're clever in the way they are made, they love to highlight issues and downplay or dumb down certain things. They achieve what they set out to which is getting people talking about them = Higher ratings regardless of truth or facts.

redebreck
15th April 2020, 05:44 PM
Watched a film yesterday, a drama about Brian Banks, NFL player who was imprisoned at the age of 16 and fought for years to clear his name. He was accused of rape and kidnap and was let down by the system, his lawyer and the victim and her mother. Harrowing story makes me wonder how many more people are betrayed by the law.

LFC vs PFC
16th April 2020, 12:12 AM
Have you looked at the evidence that was left out of making a murderer? I
That docu-series is cleverly made, I dont think hes as innocent as made out. No doubt the manatawk PD are shady and he was stitched up first time round but the second time I'm not sure. Theres no reason to leave out what they did if they didnt think it wouldn't influence the viewer in my book. Plus the blatant smut and smear of the police in parts is both unnecessary and unrelated to the case. Yet again it's to get you on his side.
That's why I have a problem with Netflix docs. They're clever in the way they are made, they love to highlight issues and downplay or dumb down certain things. They achieve what they set out to which is getting people talking about them = Higher ratings regardless of truth or facts.

Haven't seen what evidence they've left out, but I'd love to see it, as would like a balanced view. I also think that if they freed Avery based on dodgy evidence that pretty much every case in the State would have to he retired.

Having now finished (apart from the special) the Tiger King, it baffles me why the big cat law hasn't been passed, it seems such an obvious one.

I was talking to my wife about the ludicrous gun laws in the states; and said to her to imagine if a law was passed tomorrow to let everyone in our village (standard village of some nice, some dickheads, some real wrong'uns) own a gun. It would absolutely terrifying, and you know that all of the poorly educated wrong'uns would just get tooled up, and every time they get pissed off with someone, they'd start waving their gun about.
America's obsession with their "right" to bear arms is so unconscionably wrong on every level, and shows like Tiger King underline why.

redebreck
16th April 2020, 11:25 AM
Haven't seen what evidence they've left out, but I'd love to see it, as would like a balanced view. I also think that if they freed Avery based on dodgy evidence that pretty much every case in the State would have to he retired.

Having now finished (apart from the special) the Tiger King, it baffles me why the big cat law hasn't been passed, it seems such an obvious one.

I was talking to my wife about the ludicrous gun laws in the states; and said to her to imagine if a law was passed tomorrow to let everyone in our village (standard village of some nice, some dickheads, some real wrong'uns) own a gun. It would absolutely terrifying, and you know that all of the poorly educated wrong'uns would just get tooled up, and every time they get pissed off with someone, they'd start waving their gun about.
America's obsession with their "right" to bear arms is so unconscionably wrong on every level, and shows like Tiger King underline why.

It's in their constitution and would need an amendment to that, to change it.
America has had so many mass killings by nutters I can't believe it hasn't been changed.
Maybe it's down to money.
What isn't, these days?

ianlfc
16th April 2020, 11:56 AM
It's in their constitution and would need an amendment to that, to change it.
America has had so many mass killings by nutters I can't believe it hasn't been changed.
Maybe it's down to money.
What isn't, these days?

It doesn't help when they go for their Friday big shop at Walmart and the wife goes to the groceries aisles while hubby nips round to the firearms aisle and tops up his AK47 ammo.

toneata
16th April 2020, 08:17 PM
Finished Ozark, brilliant as usual.

Watched the first episode of The Outsider, based on a Stephen King book with Ben Mendelsohn, think it's going to be really good.

LFC vs PFC
16th April 2020, 10:32 PM
Watched the Stranger. Overall pretty decent, however some pe ilusr side stories and below par acting from some characters.

Thinking about starting Ozark next.

Looking forward to season 2 of After Life on 24th.

toneata
23rd April 2020, 07:50 PM
Almost finished The Outsider, very good, just hope they don't mess up the ending.

Started Money Heist but i'm struggling to get into it.

eggy81
1st May 2020, 09:29 AM
The last dance. Documentary about Michael Jordan and the Chicago bulls from their efforts to get to the top to the 97 98 season. Class.

teesred
1st May 2020, 11:00 PM
The last dance. Documentary about Michael Jordan and the Chicago bulls from their efforts to get to the top to the 97 98 season. Class.

Is that on netflix?

LFC vs PFC
2nd May 2020, 01:35 AM
Is that on netflix?

Yes and it's brilliant. I remember the season well, as was heavily into basketball at the time (was the last year of my A Levels and used to stay up until 4 in the morning watching the matches).

redebreck
2nd May 2020, 01:51 AM
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

We took out a 2 month subscription to Now movies and it appeared this week.
Superb film, good cast, and it supplies an alternative outcome to a horrific event that occurred in the late 60s (1969 I believe).
Excellent Tarantino film.

teesred
18th May 2020, 10:25 PM
Finished the last dance. Really good but I dont like Jordan as much as I did. He has arrogance that would put Ronaldo to shame. No doubt about how great he is but he really did expect everyone to blow smoke up his arse and like doing it.
Completely disagree that air jordans started sneaker culture too. Thats the yanks failing again by not looking outside their own backyard. Europe already had a massive sneaker culture with Adidas,Puma,Fila,Ellesse etc.

ianlfc
21st May 2020, 10:57 PM
Finished the last dance. Really good but I dont like Jordan as much as I did. He has arrogance that would put Ronaldo to shame. No doubt about how great he is but he really did expect everyone to blow smoke up his arse and like doing it.
Completely disagree that air jordans started sneaker culture too. Thats the yanks failing again by not looking outside their own backyard. Europe already had a massive sneaker culture with Adidas,Puma,Fila,Ellesse etc.

I also though it was really good. If I'm honest I really liked him especially as a player pushing his team mates to his level . Nothing wrong with that, it shows a winning mentality. What I was really surprised at was the smoking cigars and drinking beer especially for sport like basketball, with it being so fast.
Big Scottie Pippen seems a top fella and Rodman was as mad as I exspected.
Definitely highly recommended for all sports fans .

LFC vs PFC
22nd May 2020, 10:04 PM
I also though it was really good. If I'm honest I really liked him especially as a player pushing his team mates to his level . Nothing wrong with that, it shows a winning mentality. What I was really surprised at was the smoking cigars and drinking beer especially for sport like basketball, with it being so fast.
Big Scottie Pippen seems a top fella and Rodman was as mad as I exspected.
Definitely highly recommended for all sports fans .

Completely agree. I watched it with my wife who seemed uneasy with his bullying of teammates.

However, now that it's all over, those teammates were pushed to be good enough to be part of the greatest ever team to play the sport - if you can't take the heat and all that. Also the gambling scandal was an absolute nonsense.

LFC vs PFC
22nd May 2020, 10:07 PM

It's all subjective though. You have a look at the way Carra screamed at Finnan and other defenders for not doing what they should pr making a mistake. Jordan came in to a group of losers and for 7 years was the best player on the planet and won nothing; can't really blame him.

teesred
23rd May 2020, 03:27 PM
It's all subjective though. You have a look at the way Carra screamed at Finnan and other defenders for not doing what they should pr making a mistake. Jordan came in to a group of losers and for 7 years was the best player on the planet and won nothing; can't really blame him.

I dont have that much of a problem with the way he carried on with his team mates. He made them better no doubt. I just mean the way he can't admit anyone ever had a good game against him. Payton for example, made some bollox excuse about fathers day. Dont show another player that disrespect, just admit they had a better game than you. No Shame in it.
He went out of his way to embarrass others, not a nice quality in my book. You dont have to do that to prove you're the greatest.
Hes a big I am in the biggest sense, Probably more than anyone other than Ali. Theres no question hes the greatest. He was on another level completely. I just think he could have been a little more humble at times.

toneata
24th May 2020, 01:48 PM
The Last Dance was brilliant but you have to take a lot of it with a big pinch of Hollywood salt. Every episode had a couple of 'what did he say?....I'll show him' moments. Doubt they're all true (he even admits one was bs but everyone believed it for years) but it makes for great TV.

Doubt there's a GOAT in any sport that was a nice person when they were at the top, I'm not even sure you can be.

ianlfc
24th May 2020, 02:21 PM
The Last Dance was brilliant but you have to take a lot of it with a big pinch of Hollywood salt. Every episode had a couple of 'what did he say?....I'll show him' moments. Doubt they're all true (he even admits one was bs but everyone believed it for years) but it makes for great TV.

Doubt there's a GOAT in any sport that was a nice person when they were at the top, I'm not even sure you can be.

I agree it was hammed up for Hollywood, but that's America for you they love all that shit.
Basketball is nothing like football with the endless scoring plus you would never have Messi and Ronaldo on a one on one like they have with the top stars in Basketball.
The early 90's was a bit of a blur for me so I didn't know about his Dad.

LFC vs PFC
25th May 2020, 12:20 AM
Spenser confidential.

You know when you continue to watch a film thinking it can't be this bad all the way through. After 1h 43 mins turns out I was wrong.

Utter shite.

scientificred
25th May 2020, 05:50 PM
Saw Treasure Island film with Christian Bale as Jim, Oliver Reed as Billy Bones, Christopher Lee as Blind Pew and Charlton Heston as Long John.
I was very sceptical as I have a dislike of anything starring Charlton Heston and I love the Treasure Island story.
I must say that Heston was brilliant as Long John and this film is probably the best and also the most faithful to the book.

ianlfc
25th May 2020, 05:56 PM
Spenser confidential.

You know when you continue to watch a film thinking it can't be this bad all the way through. After 1h 43 mins turns out I was wrong.

Utter shite.
I thought the very same with once upon a time in Hollywood.

eggy81
25th May 2020, 06:42 PM
I thought the very same with once upon a time in Hollywood.

Same here. Thank fuck the last 5 minutes were epic.

redebreck
26th May 2020, 01:26 AM
Saw Treasure Island film with Christian Bale as Jim, Oliver Reed as Billy Bones, Christopher Lee as Blind Pew and Charlton Heston as Long John.
I was very sceptical as I have a dislike of anything starring Charlton Heston and I love the Treasure Island story.
I must say that Heston was brilliant as Long John and this film is probably the best and also the most faithful to the book.

I have, I think, the first version of this story with Robert Newton. Haven't seen the version you mentioned but will seek it out. Charlton Heston was one of the legendary greats of Hollywood.

redebreck
13th August 2020, 10:19 PM
Cracking film just starting/about to start on BBC channel 4 13/08/20 10:15 pm - "the Damned United".
Worth a watch if you've not seen it.

redebreck
13th August 2020, 10:23 PM
Cracking film just starting/about to start on BBC channel 4 13/08/20 10:15 pm - "the Damned United".
Worth a watch if you've not seen it.

Bastards, they've changed it because of the fucking snooker :(

Insidious
13th August 2020, 11:05 PM
Watched "Fury" with Brad Pitt.

It's a good enough film, a touch "paint by numbers" though, didn't reach the heights it could have and an element of "all been done before" but has a couple of moments of fine acting and cinematography.

teesred
14th November 2020, 12:49 AM
Secrets of the Berlin Wall on BBC iplayer. Fascinating documentary about the GDR. I had nonudea how bad the stasi were.
Also watched the lost Nazi videos of WW2. Like all docs on the war its pretty grim and graphic in its content. The atrocities of Nazis never cease to shock me no matter how many times I see them. It was truly horrific but it also tells of the horror of the German people after the destruction of Hamburg and Dresden.
Always irritated me when Brits say "we won the war". Nobody won. Everybody lost.
Started Mandalorian season 2 also. Best thing on TV by miles.

scientificred
20th January 2021, 06:02 PM
Watched 2 films..

Hostiles (2017)
And
Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio (2005)

Both brilliant films and both portray different aspects of American history and culture.

RedNoodle
20th January 2021, 09:37 PM
When I'm not watching YouTube videos, I'm either watching re-runs of classic Doctor Who or Star Trek TNG, or watching some football.

Most stuff that is released these days is at worst a load of 'propaganda' masquerading as p.poor 'entertainment' or 'comedy', and at best is something that has been massively overhyped and is a bit 'meh'.

I saw an ad for "WandaVision" as I was tuning in to tonight's match, and to be honest I can't even be bothered to check it out. I'll probably stick to watching clips of cats having late night 'mad half hours'.

teesred
20th January 2021, 11:30 PM
I don't fancy that Wandavision. Neither of them seem like strong enough Marvel characters to warrant their own show.

RedNoodle
20th January 2021, 11:48 PM
I don't fancy that Wandavision. Neither of them seem like strong enough Marvel characters to warrant their own show.

I think people are starting to get sick of endless superhero flicks/shows.

How about a good old fashion action film e.g. Predator (which I'm currently watching), Robocop, Terminator etc with infinitely more substance that style, which unfortunately is what films, shows, and the world in general have become.

Insidious
21st January 2021, 07:06 PM

It doesn't help that female characters these days aren't allowed to be seen to be being physically beaten down by male opponents, nor to have any real character flaws.

If your protagonist can do absolutely everything, the stakes are lowered considerably and thus it's hard to be invested as a viewer.

Which is a real shame, particularly as, in explaining this, there's a crowd of people who will label you as "anti-women" for wanting to *shock horror* not see things so artificially portrayed.

RedNoodle
21st January 2021, 07:21 PM
It doesn't help that female characters these days aren't allowed to be seen to be being physically beaten down by male opponents, nor to have any real character flaws.

If your protagonist can do absolutely everything, the stakes are lowered considerably and thus it's hard to be invested as a viewer.

Which is a real shame, particularly as, in explaining this, there's a crowd of people who will label you as "anti-women" for wanting to *shock horror* not see things so artificially portrayed.

Many modern TV shows and films are more about shoving certain political and social agendas down our throats (ruining established characters, or even trying to change history) than they are about providing interesting characters, ideas, and heaven forbid some actual entertainment.

Batwoman season 2 just started and has received some of the lowest ever viewing figures. If you do a quick search on YouTube you'll find tons of videos about it. The same thing has happened with the likes of Doctor Who, as seen in the Xmas special, which was neither special nor actually shown at Xmas.

teesred
21st January 2021, 07:47 PM

How about a good old fashion action film e.g. Predator (which I'm currently watching), Robocop, Terminator etc with infinitely more substance that style, which unfortunately is what films, shows, and the world in general have become.

Totally agree. I'm a big Marvel fan but I'd had my fill of the movies after Black Panther, they have reached saturation point and I fear Disney will do the same with the Star Wars "franchise". I only just recently watched Infinity War.
Classic movies you mention there. Always loved them and those types of action/sci fi stuff.

RedNoodle
21st January 2021, 07:58 PM
Totally agree. I'm a big Marvel fan but I'd had my fill of the movies after Black Panther, they have reached saturation point and I fear Disney will do the same with the Star Wars "franchise". I only just recently watched Infinity War.
Classic movies you mention there. Always loved them and those types of action/sci fi stuff.

What did you think of Infinity War? I also only watched it a little while ago. I cannot remember a single thing about it, which just shows how 'meh'/overrated it is. I watched the original 'Blade' again the other day (I saw it at the cinema when originally released) and it still holds up/entertains.

As for Star Wars, that's another franchise that has been killed (along with Star Trek). As far as I'm concerned there are episodes IV, V and VI, and that's all.

redebreck
21st January 2021, 08:10 PM
When I'm not watching YouTube videos, I'm either watching re-runs of classic Doctor Who or Star Trek TNG, or watching some football.

Try watching Red Dwarf, if you can get it. Definitely on Netflix, may be elsewhere.

For the past few weeks, the wife and I have been watching "Justified" - it's a decent watch, based in Kentucky.
Similar in structure, IMO, to Sons Of Anarchy and Breaking Bad.

It's on More Four (Channel 4 catch-up) which is very easily accessible for most TVs and Computers.

RedNoodle
21st January 2021, 08:36 PM
Try watching Red Dwarf, if you can get it. Definitely on Netflix, may be elsewhere.

For the past few weeks, the wife and I have been watching "Justified" - it's a decent watch, based in Kentucky.
Similar in structure, IMO, to Sons Of Anarchy and Breaking Bad.

It's on More Four (Channel 4 catch-up) which is very easily accessible for most TVs and Computers.

I already have all the Red Dwarf episodes, and when I say 'all', I mean before it started going downhill e.g. when Kochanski became a permanent fixture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxWN8AhNER0

"Oh someone punch him out!"

:highly_amused:

As for 'Sons of Anarchy' and 'Breaking Bad', it takes a lot for me to watch a single program, never mind an entire series. The last one I did that for (and only after the hype finally found its way to me) was 'Game of Thrones' and we all know how that ended. :dejection:

Kev0909
21st January 2021, 11:12 PM
Fucking awful

Liverpool FC v Burnley

1/10

RedNoodle
22nd January 2021, 12:08 AM
Fucking awful

Liverpool FC v Burnley

1/10

What was the one for?

Kev0909
22nd January 2021, 12:11 AM
What was the one for?

Commical reasons

RedNoodle
22nd January 2021, 01:41 AM
Commical reasons

If I had the necessary skills I could edit the Red Dwarf clip that I posted so that instead of it being about a 'white hole' it could be about 'scoring a goal', with Kryten explaining what a goal is, followed by the Cat (with the superimposed head of Salah, Mane, or Firmino) saying "So what is it?".

teesred
24th January 2021, 10:58 PM
What did you think of Infinity War? I also only watched it a little while ago. I cannot remember a single thing about it, which just shows how 'meh'/overrated it is. I watched the original 'Blade' again the other day (I saw it at the cinema when originally released) and it still holds up/entertains.

As for Star Wars, that's another franchise that has been killed (along with Star Trek). As far as I'm concerned there are episodes IV, V and VI, and that's all.

I thought it was ok. Its watchable but not something I'd bother watching again. I'm not in a hurry to watch the Endgame that ties it all together.

Original Blade is a great movie. Marvel will no doubt be re-telling that at dome point.

I don't mind the Star Wars prequels but the last most recent 3 I'll never ever waste hours of my life watching them again. They are simply awful and add absolutely nothing at all to the whole saga. There aren't even any good characters that will stand up in years to come.

teesred
30th January 2021, 04:04 PM
Just finished the 5 part BBC storyville documentary on O.J Simpson.
Absolutely fascinating, iys long at 7 hours but its really good. What a piece of work he was, his legal team were a pack of lowlife snakes too.

teesred
14th February 2021, 11:18 PM
Anyone been watching "cant get you out of my head" on BBC Iplayer?
Fascinating,frightening and astonishing.

ianlfc
14th February 2021, 11:36 PM
I've stead in a few dodgy hotels in Liverpool and across England while working during the 90s but that Hotel Cecil on Netflix takes dodgy hotels to a new level. WOW.

teesred
15th February 2021, 09:10 AM
I've stead in a few dodgy hotels in Liverpool and across England while working during the 90s but that Hotel Cecil on Netflix takes dodgy hotels to a new level. WOW.

My girlfriend is watching that, I'm going to get around to watching it too. I watched one of the middle episodes with her and it seems a sinister place.

jozza800
15th February 2021, 09:36 AM
If I had the necessary skills I could edit the Red Dwarf clip that I posted so that instead of it being about a 'white hole' it could be about 'scoring a goal', with Kryten explaining what a goal is, followed by the Cat (with the superimposed head of Salah, Mane, or Firmino) saying "So what is it?".

Why didn't anyone say we were onto Red Dwarf!

Near perfect television. At least series 1-6 were.

Marooned is one of the best half hours of television ever made. 'You're going to eat the dog food?"

jozza800
15th February 2021, 09:40 AM
I'm currently going back through Marvel films. I've just fiinished Age Of Ultron. We've been watching a youtube channnel afterwards that shows you all the cool litttle easter eggs that even as a pretty big geek I wouldn't have picked up on (at least first time round).

We're also watching WandaVision. After a bit of a slow start, it has become a really cool TV show. To me this is how they should have handled Agents Of Shield. It's certainly linked more to the MCU than AOS. AOS felt like an X-Files remake with less Anderson...

stevie harkness
19th February 2021, 08:31 AM
BBC Panorama on Vaccines: the Disinformation War was an embarrassingly one sided piece of shite.

It rightly called out disinformation on the anti vaxxers side but used the same propaganda tactics against it. It really gave me the needle that did.

Insidious
23rd February 2021, 03:01 PM
Greatest Events of World War II in Colour - was made in 2019 and is on Netflix.

Pretty excellent.

teesred
2nd March 2021, 10:04 PM
The Deer Hunter. First time I've watched it in over 20 years. An absolutely fabulous movie in every way.

teesred
2nd March 2021, 10:05 PM
Greatest Events of World War II in Colour - was made in 2019 and is on Netflix.

Pretty excellent.

Going to watch this. Did you see the stuff on the BBC about Berlin a few months back? Really amazing.

Insidious
3rd March 2021, 05:38 PM
Going to watch this. Did you see the stuff on the BBC about Berlin a few months back? Really amazing.

I didn't actually - you will enjoy the series, it's really good. I genuinely see myself rewatching it.

RedNoodle
3rd March 2021, 09:05 PM
I've been watching/listening to some profiles of famous people on a YouTube channel called "The People Profiles".

I've recently watched/listened to profiles of the likes of Mussolini, Hitler, Claus Von Stuffenberg, Caesar and Rasputin.

Very interesting if you're into that kind of thing.

redebreck
10th March 2021, 06:06 PM
Been watching "Spiral", a French TV Police, Legal Profession, and (to a certain degree) Political drama series.
It's being shown on BBC iPlayer - with sub-titles.
Excellent series. Bits of it can be compared to The Sweeney.
There are eight series of the programme, on average ten episodes per series. Each episode around forty to fifty minutes.
Riveting stuff, really enjoyable.
Let me know if anyone else is interested or is already watching it.
We're just coming to the end of Series Five.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_(TV_series)

scientificred
12th March 2021, 08:05 PM
Just watched Wonder Woman (2017).
Found it pretty fantastic.
Soon becomes a pretty good WWI film with a little bit of Greek mythology thrown in.

fiordearg
14th March 2021, 12:47 PM
Wandavision. Thought it was fantastic, I think it is an allegory for the past year

reddownunder
22nd March 2021, 12:19 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Better Call Saul is shit? I stuck through it for 3 seasons waiting for it to get interesting but gave up. The thing is, it is universally acclaimed as some kind of masterpiece but I found it so so boring

teesred
22nd March 2021, 02:16 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Better Call Saul is shit? I stuck through it for 3 seasons waiting for it to get interesting but gave up. The thing is, it is universally acclaimed as some kind of masterpiece but I found it so so boring

I never bothered with it. I found him irritating in BB so had no interest in his own series. I know plenty of people say its really good but the end of BB was the end for me. It didn't need anything adding.
Also never bothered with the El Camino movie, it just seemed completely pointless.
I'm so glad they killed off Walter because if they hadn't it would no doubt have been brought back resulting in tarnishing what I think is the best TV show of all time.

reddownunder
23rd March 2021, 03:14 AM
I never bothered with it. I found him irritating in BB so had no interest in his own series. I know plenty of people say its really good but the end of BB was the end for me. It didn't need anything adding.
Also never bothered with the El Camino movie, it just seemed completely pointless.
I'm so glad they killed off Walter because if they hadn't it would no doubt have been brought back resulting in tarnishing what I think is the best TV show of all time.

Yep BB is my favourite of all time too usurping the sopranos as my previous favourite. You can sense a great series when it grabs you and you're immediately hooked. Luckily for me I didn't get around to watching BB until it had finished so I was able to binge watch

ianlfc
29th March 2021, 05:31 PM
There was a film/ documentary made back in 2018 about the wrestler Andre the giant. Sky Documentaries are also showing it. I found it brilliant with both funny parts ( his mad drinking stories ) and very sad moments regarding his size and what he put his body through.

Insidious
30th March 2021, 02:51 PM
Seaspiracy.

Sobering stuff. We humans just won't stop.

redebreck
7th April 2021, 06:21 PM
Been watching Spooks on BBC iPlayer.
Granted it's a bit dated, but rips into many aspects of the (British) establishment.

justme
7th April 2021, 08:01 PM
Been re-watching ER of late.. Great series.

RedNoodle
7th April 2021, 10:01 PM
Been re-watching ER of late.. Great series.

I've seen a lot of ER over the years.

Maybe I should watch that American made tv show of the same name and see if any of it is based on the goings on in the real thing.

scientificred
9th April 2021, 09:02 PM
Watched a brilliant Oliver Twist (2005) with Ben Kingsley as Fagin.
It was dark and ugly unlike the musical 'Oliver' which I had always loved but now so obviously not true in its portrayal of the times.

teesred
19th May 2021, 03:29 AM
Thief. A movie I've wanted to watch for many years. It didn't disappoint, a fabulous movie both in visual and sound. Awesome soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.
Jame's Caan is great as the jewel Thief and there's great support cast too with James Belushi and Robert Prosky.
I love Michael Mann movies and this was another to add to the long list.

fagin
14th June 2021, 08:00 PM
Watched a show called FULL MEASURE hosted by Sharyl Attkisson on ABC(Seattle) She is ex CNN investigative reporter and ex CBS investigative reporter
In the episode she spent time showing the outright bias and lies towards Trump while in office.She showed the video's released to the public and refuted them by showing the edited parts which totally changed the context.It was really unbelievable.Some of her work is just unreal.
Anyone who maybe interested should look her up online on at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharyl_Attkisson.
Her page alone has some really incredible reading.

CCTV
14th June 2021, 09:15 PM
Watched a show called FULL MEASURE hosted by Sharyl Attkisson on ABC(Seattle) She is ex CNN investigative reporter and ex CBS investigative reporter
In the episode she spent time showing the outright bias and lies towards Trump while in office.She showed the video's released to the public and refuted them by showing the edited parts which totally changed the context.It was really unbelievable.Some of her work is just unreal.
Anyone who maybe interested should look her up online on at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharyl_Attkisson.
Her page alone has some really incredible reading.

Have you seen the two time cover pages side by side ?

Trump looking down to the child re borders, a real case of turning cages introduced under the obama admin into trumps action.

Versus biden with sunglasses and Putin in the reflection :D, as Biden goes to town on Putin.

Border crisis at its worst point in decades, facilities reopened by the Biden admin that trump shit down.
Kamala Harris with her dont come message practically echoing Trump.

Its hysterical imo, I watch Jimmy dore regularly enough but that show is one of the few I can stomach. Disagree with him on a few points, but at least he has some integrity/consistency.

That scott Adams fella is a good listen too on the numerous hoaxes the media fabricated.

Daffydd
14th June 2021, 09:41 PM
On a similar but somewhat trivial theme, when Trump visited the UK and rode around in his limo, "The Beast", the media went on about the environmental impact, petrol consumption, and not paying his parking or congestion charges or some bullshit. A few years later here comes Biden driving down to Devon for the G7 in the same monster car. Not a word.

fagin
14th June 2021, 10:44 PM
Have you seen the two time cover pages side by side ?

Trump looking down to the child re borders, a real case of turning cages introduced under the obama admin into trumps action.

Versus biden with sunglasses and Putin in the reflection :D, as Biden goes to town on Putin.

Border crisis at its worst point in decades, facilities reopened by the Biden admin that trump shit down.
Kamala Harris with her dont come message practically echoing Trump.

Its hysterical imo, I watch Jimmy dore regularly enough but that show is one of the few I can stomach. Disagree with him on a few points, but at least he has some integrity/consistency.

That scott Adams fella is a good listen too on the numerous hoaxes the media fabricated.

It was my first time seeing this show but the cages pic was shown and many pics of scenes saying Trump never visited the Troops yet she showed a clip of Trump actually behind the counter serving meals to the troops.Clips from supposed war scenes decrying Trump which were actually from the Obama era and the list just goes on.
Glad you watch these utter fabrications of the real truth.

fagin
15th June 2021, 03:33 AM
On a similar but somewhat trivial theme, when Trump visited the UK and rode around in his limo, "The Beast", the media went on about the environmental impact, petrol consumption, and not paying his parking or congestion charges or some bullshit. A few years later here comes Biden driving down to Devon for the G7 in the same monster car. Not a word.

It's good that you notice things like this because it's mostly just brushed under the carpet if it ain't Trump degradation.

CCTV
19th June 2021, 01:46 PM
Watched a national geographic docu-drama called Genius.
Season 1, a ten part piece on Albert Einstein, a nice watch even if those times were turbulent.
Kind of interesting to see the personalities in German science and how they intertwined with other goings on.

Season 2 and 3 dont have the same level of attraction for me but might be worth a watch when I get some time, ones on picasso iirc and the other Aretha Franklin.

justme
19th June 2021, 01:51 PM
I just started re-watching one foot in the grave :D love it

Nineteenx
20th June 2021, 12:21 AM
Watched Bad times at the El Royale on Film 4 last night, very good, really enjoyed it and highly recommend it if you haven't seen it

scientificred
20th June 2021, 08:08 PM
Watched 'Wbere Eagles Dare' for the first time again in decades.
A jolly good WWIi romp.
And what lovely eyes Mary Ure had!

redebreck
21st June 2021, 09:42 PM
I just started re-watching one foot in the grave :D love it

Some people I know (wink, wink) think I'm becoming like Victor Meldrew. I'm 67.

redebreck
21st June 2021, 09:46 PM
Thief. A movie I've wanted to watch for many years. It didn't disappoint, a fabulous movie both in visual and sound. Awesome soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.
Jame's Caan is great as the jewel Thief and there's great support cast too with James Belushi and Robert Prosky.
I love Michael Mann movies and this was another to add to the long list.

What channel was/is this on?

I watched Shock & Awe a few days ago on the Roku channel. Shows how American politicians including Bush manipulated the media in order to ensure that Iraq was invaded two years after 9/11. Shocking.

teesred
21st June 2021, 10:26 PM
What channel was/is this on?

I watched Shock & Awe a few days ago on the Roku channel. Shows how American politicians including Bush manipulated the media in order to ensure that Iraq was invaded two years after 9/11. Shocking.

I have an iptv firestick and it was on that.
Its never been on Netflix that I've noticed.

justme
21st June 2021, 11:14 PM
Some people I know (wink, wink) think I'm becoming like Victor Meldrew. I'm 67.

I don't believeeee it

ianlfc
10th July 2021, 11:55 PM
Liverpool Narcos, Very good and well shot. The early 90s rave sceen was brilliant and very accurate. Once they realised the money that was to be made it went from hero to zero in about 12 months. Which then rolled into Cocaine.

redebreck
20th July 2021, 10:27 PM
Watching Suicide Squad on Netflix.
Not sure it was a good decision.
Anyone else seen it?

redebreck
16th October 2021, 11:00 AM

Just watched this on Amazon Prime.
Amazing