PDA

View Full Version : Just how poor are Arsenal

dicko1969
18th June 2020, 02:40 AM
Manchester City have won their past seven matches against Arsenal in all competitions, extending their best ever winning run against the Gunners.

Arsenal have lost by three or more goals both home and away in a league season versus an opponent (Man City in 2019-20) for the first time since 1969-70, against Chelsea.

Arsenal are winless in their past 26 Premier League away games against fellow 'big six' opposition (D10 L16), with their last such victory coming at Etihad Stadium in January 2015 (2-0)

dicko1969
18th June 2020, 02:41 AM
Shocking performance from them.

Spineless ; nothing tbh.

Massive rebuild looking like they need 10 new players at least.

Says something when the youngster up front plays ahead of Pepe and Lacaz .

I just don't see any good players there.

Kev0909
18th June 2020, 07:19 AM
Imagine paying 73m for pepe and getting david Luiz as the solution to your defense issue.

Emery fucked them, but it's more than that the staff that are behind the scenes must be SHITE

I was laughing then, and still laughing now, david Luiz sums up arsenal 100%

Insidious
18th June 2020, 09:47 AM
Enormous wage bill that is reliant on Champion's League football whilst not having said Champion's League football for 3 seasons, likely to become four.

Not good.

Then you consider they have over-spent on some players (whether it's wages that are too large or big transfer fees) whilst also letting far too many players for for absolute peanuts.

Match revenue is 24% of their income, the highest percentage in the League.

Even their exploits in the Europa League, from a financial perspective, did little to help. Their run to the final got them something like £34m. To put that into perspective, Inter got something like £48m in the same season, despite failing to escape the Champion's League group stages.

They need to become hard negotiators and genius-tier in the scouting department basically overnight to have any chance of Champion's League football soon. I actually feel a bit sorry for Arteta as I think you'd need to be a top 10 Manager in the World to make their set-up work and he could have a nail in his Managerial coffin before he has had a chance to get started. He has a very different task on his hands compared to, say, Frank Lampard.

13 points above the relegation zone at this stage of the season also isn't a big gap - that's only a 5-game swing - and they are surrounded by clubs who look to be progressing, one way or another.

If they don't get the running of their business/finances together in the next 3-5 years, combined with some good recruitment and some Champion's League football, there's a "Leeds situation" brewing there. They're at no risk of being relegated in the next 5 years you'd think, but give them an injury-hit season in 8-10 years time on the back of some mismanagement and you never know.

Aldo1988
18th June 2020, 10:00 AM
I don't think moving to a brand spanking new stadium has helped them, they've managed 3 FA Cups since and have managed to finish 2nd once.

reddownunder
18th June 2020, 10:21 AM
They're a right mess. I remember when they spent £70 million on Pepe I thought it was absolutely crazy given how poor their defence is. The fact that David Luiz is a regular for them says it all

Aldo1988
18th June 2020, 10:41 AM
They're a right mess. I remember when they spent £70 million on Pepe I thought it was absolutely crazy given how poor their defence is. The fact that David Luiz is a regular for them says it all

A few on the match-day thread when we played Arsenal at home were wishing we signed him after he looked half handy against us.

teesred
18th June 2020, 01:50 PM
In short they are finished for a considerable time. They're way behind even the way behinds like Spurs and Utd. Havent been close to a major for 14 years, not even a remote threat in the long term.
I can understand why a lot of their fans wanted Wenger out but they'll be wishing he'd never left now as they have plummeted since.

justme
18th June 2020, 04:32 PM
I think the mind set started under Wenger..he stayed on wayyyy to long.. And he gave contracts of 350 thousand to Ozil.
The owners aren't helping they appear to be penny pinchers.
It must be very difficult for the really top players to get be the best they can when 75% of the squad is poor. You just know their own backline will concede tons of goals.

ianlfc
18th June 2020, 07:57 PM
I honestly can't remember a worse Arsenal team in my lifetime. They are bloody awful. It wasn't that long ago they had 60,000 + watching a 3rd Round cup game with a team of kids. It just shows how quick it can go down hill if you get a shit manager. Souness with us and Moyes at Utd springs to mind.

redebreck
18th June 2020, 08:46 PM
I don't think moving to a brand spanking new stadium has helped them, they've managed 3 FA Cups since and have managed to finish 2nd once.

Have they finished paying for that stadium yet? If/when they finish paying for it, that should help their finances massively.

Insidious
18th June 2020, 10:39 PM
Have they finished paying for that stadium yet? If/when they finish paying for it, that should help their finances massively.

That gets kind of messy (n4c was way better at this stuff) but they had to pay £390m for the stadium, but there is also some complication with fund-raising bonds that were taken out, which were taken during the Highbury years as a fund-raiser.

Apparently the bonds (in terms of paying things off) are the issue more than anything and Arsenal have to pay £16m per year in instalments to cover said bonds - and will be doing so until 2029.

It really underlines the need for Champion's League football. If they have to pay that £16m each year without it, they're very hampered - they certainly aren't in a position to spend their way back in.

Whilst there are those who will take the piss over "celebrating" a Top Four spot (and guys, I get where you're coming from, truly) it's perhaps Arsenal's situation, moreso than most clubs, that underlines the value of that tournament and the subsequent TV rights/revenue/sponsorship money the most.

They could be without any "star" players very, very soon. They need an incredibly intelligent rebuild.

miller0863
18th June 2020, 11:54 PM
I’ll stick it here too, it’s worth another laugh ...

David Luiz wants a two-year deal to stay with the Gunners but they are only prepared to extend his stay by 12 months. (Mail)

justme
19th June 2020, 12:19 AM
12 hours would be to much. They cant sign anyone so trying to hold onto a player they paid money for. hes gonna cost them more money in the long run.IE by league position.

redebreck
19th June 2020, 01:00 AM
Spurs are in a similar position to Arsenal, aren't they?
New stadium and needing CL football to pay for it.

reddownunder
19th June 2020, 02:13 AM
Spurs are in a similar position to Arsenal, aren't they?
New stadium and needing CL football to pay for it.

Yep. If they lose Kane they will be in deep shite too

dicko1969
19th June 2020, 04:06 AM
Maybe the thread title should have read
"Londin clubs in the shit"

Mourinho talking about how he cannot compete in the transfer market.

No one has mentioned WEST HAM yet !! Haha

Insidious
19th June 2020, 08:05 AM
Yep. If they lose Kane they will be in deep shite too

Very much depends on how they would spend the (as yet hypothetical) cash.

His market value (Covid-19 aside) probably isn't going to get any higher, so selling and getting a couple of different, more fluid/mobile attackers in would be a way to go - though certainly isn't the Mourinho way!

miller0863
19th June 2020, 01:10 PM
Hahaha yes dicko, nice thread title 😂

ianlfc
19th June 2020, 06:17 PM
AFTV was back straight after the game.
They weren't happy 😂😂

southernboy
20th June 2020, 03:23 PM
The young lad Saka looks like a great prospect.

Balinkay
20th June 2020, 05:02 PM
There were rumours we might be in for him since he's having contract troubles.

ianlfc
20th June 2020, 05:20 PM
I didn't watch it , but going by the result , were they poor again?

southernboy
20th June 2020, 05:32 PM
They were okay to be fair. Not great but created plenty of good chances. They’re away to Southampton next. I’ve just seen the list of injured first team players on Twitter. It’s not a pretty sight, and it got worse today with the long-term loss of Leno.

ianlfc
20th June 2020, 06:40 PM
They were okay to be fair. Not great but created plenty of good chances. They’re away to Southampton next. I’ve just seen the list of injured first team players on Twitter. It’s not a pretty sight, and it got worse today with the long-term loss of Leno.

Cheers. Not looking good for them at all. Going for Arteta seems to be a huge gamble which doesnt look like paying off. The premier league is very unforgiving.

Insidious
20th June 2020, 07:06 PM
Fire sale / rebuild / new manager would be some entertainment for the neutral.

teesred
20th June 2020, 09:10 PM
They are shite. I'd have Gendouzi though. He'd fit in.
Lacazette or Aubameyang too. They're the only ones I'd take.

Balinkay
20th June 2020, 09:46 PM
I like the attackers, but they're sadly around 30. Guendouzi's decent I think.

Kev0909
20th June 2020, 10:07 PM
Make a bid for Aubameyang, for 5 million and one.

Can't actually believe they tried to take suarez off us!!!!

I don't think us and arsenal have hardly done any transfers between us? or am I wrong, does Ox count?

LFC vs PFC
21st June 2020, 12:52 AM

I don't think us and arsenal have hardly done any transfers between us? or am I wrong, does Ox count?

Michael Thomas
Ox

miller0863
21st June 2020, 01:01 AM
Ray Kennedy. Master stroke.

dicko1969
21st June 2020, 08:23 AM

They are still seething after we sold to them Jimmy Carter for £500k !

Probably in today's value about £20m 🤣

justme
21st June 2020, 08:33 AM
To be fair he did go onto be the president of the USA

dicko1969
21st December 2020, 02:18 AM
I have watched a bit of AFTV for the first time ever.

Wow looks like someone or something died !

Arsenal is in a right mess. Nothing much has changed for the better. Maybe even worse.

Worst start since season 1974/75.
They finished 16th in a 22 club league that season.

Liverpool finished 2nd; 2 points behind champuons Derby County. Arsenal did the double over us that season.

Insidious
21st December 2020, 09:33 AM
They're faring worse than we did under Hodgson.

Which is pretty damn bad!

Kev0909
21st December 2020, 12:38 PM
They're faring worse than we did under Hodgson.

Which is pretty damn bad!

They probably have a better/bigger squad (hard to see atm obviously) than us then too.

skyebo
21st December 2020, 12:48 PM
They probably have a better/bigger squad (hard to see atm obviously) than us then too.

I would say the team Hodgson had was better than this Arsenal team. Don't forget, it was more or less the same squad that Benitez left him with, plus a few additions from the bargain basement because the owners had stopped spending money. As bad as Hodgson was, there was no way we were getting relegated, the same as Arsenal won't do this season. In any case, he was always going to be short term as the owners were selling up.

vin
21st December 2020, 01:23 PM
I would say the team Hodgson had was better than this Arsenal team. Don't forget, it was more or less the same squad that Benitez left him with, plus a few additions from the bargain basement because the owners had stopped spending money. As bad as Hodgson was, there was no way we were getting relegated, the same as Arsenal won't do this season. In any case, he was always going to be short term as the owners were selling up.

it's a close call in my view https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_Liverpool_F.C._season#First_Team

Kuyt, Jova and N'gog upfront?

Defence is shaky, and the beginning of the decline of Reina.

Taksin
21st December 2020, 01:25 PM
The sad and incremental decline of Arsenal FC

Kev0909
21st December 2020, 02:19 PM

not sure about that tbh mate, not like arsenal ain't spent money either, we was very underfunded also tbh!

vin
21st December 2020, 02:40 PM
Martinelli looks decent

Kev0909
21st December 2020, 02:41 PM
Martinelli looks decent

Bit better than 73m pepe!

didn't they spend 27m or something on Saliba? never to be seen again..

dicko1969
21st December 2020, 06:25 PM
Balogun is their new hope.

LEGS
21st December 2020, 07:16 PM

Isnt he being linked to us as he is out of contract soon.

Steveo
21st December 2020, 07:40 PM

What’s this..? Didn’t know our Bali had an alter ego..

Let’s snap him up instead of them please along with that Kevinator fella. And we can really blow teams to bits.

vin
21st December 2020, 08:01 PM
Bit better than 73m pepe!

didn't they spend 27m or something on Saliba? never to be seen again..

Who? Never heard of Saliba?
Partey is quality - but needs time to settle. I think he's picked up a couple of injuries too

Kev0909
21st December 2020, 08:54 PM
Who? Never heard of Saliba?
Partey is quality - but needs time to settle. I think he's picked up a couple of injuries too

meant to be a promising very good 19yo CB but not given the light of day since arsenal signed him

Balinkay
21st December 2020, 10:50 PM
What’s this..? Didn’t know our Bali had an alter ego..

Let’s snap him up instead of them please along with that Kevinator fella. And we can really blow teams to bits.

"What's that up in the sky? Is it a rifle? Is it a pistol? No, it's... Baligun!" *badass theme plays over shots of me blasting evildoers to heck*

Kev0909
21st January 2021, 11:27 PM
We are the new arsenal

Just saying

top thread again Dicks!