PDA

View Full Version : The Thiago analogy

worldpanel
20th September 2020, 07:49 PM
It's like I've been driving in the French countryside, and come across a small vineyard, untouched by the masses,
The owner is proud of his stock and allows a sampling of a wine that has hints of spanish and german grapes.
Thats Thiago today, last time I felt that calmness was watching VVD in his first game.
Wow, simply wow.

Nineteenx
20th September 2020, 08:09 PM
He used to regularly host barbecues for his team mates while at Bayern, just so he could say "Can you smell what the Thiago is cooking"

Kev0909
20th September 2020, 08:11 PM
About time we see some class in midfield again, it's been too long...

Finally a bit of quality!! he seems a bit rash in some of the challenges he made/attempted to make but I think that he was just trying too hard and nothing major like

ianlfc
20th September 2020, 08:23 PM
He used to regularly host barbecues for his team mates while at Bayern, just so he could say "Can you smell what the Thiago is cooking"

Stick to mirror training.

Nineteenx
20th September 2020, 08:25 PM
About time we see some class in midfield again, it's been too long...

Finally a bit of quality!! he seems a bit rash in some of the challenges he made/attempted to make but I think that he was just trying too hard and nothing major like

I don't think he was rash at all, the pen was never a pen, it was a class piece of play by Thiago, Werner dived and fooled the ref, a couple of times he was just slightly off the pace in his attempted tackle

he was exactly the player this team needed, we only had Hendo who had the necessary distribution to facilitate this team playing at it's very highest levels in our entire midfield contingent, Thiago has a greater array of distribution in his locker, what he does do that's better than any of our midfielders is keep the ball moving very quickly, adjust his position to have it back then play thpse switch passes to move play to another area of the pitch.

Pressing wise he fits in but won't be as formidable as Hendo, as Hendo's always orchestrating the press and scanning to check his positioning to make sure it's at its highest levels and taking positions to make tackles or join attacks at the right time, Thiago leaves himself further off players and he's always moving, staying the right side of potentially outlets for a counter, looking to be free to receive the ball and where the next pass can go.

I think they will compliment each other perfectly as a player can't do both those things to the levels each does their thing at the same time

I think people fail to appreciate how tight and precise Henderson is in the press and why it's so much better when he plays, go back and watch Hendo and how he stepped in to make Bobby's goals v Wolves and Tottenham last season, it was press perfection

LFC-DPG
20th September 2020, 08:25 PM
It was a nice game to be introduced into and showed some classy touches

But let’s not get too carried away. They were a man light in midfield.

Nineteenx
20th September 2020, 08:26 PM
Stick to mirror training.

He does look like The Rock though

ianlfc
20th September 2020, 08:27 PM
Should it of been a penalty against him? It looked like Werner tripped himself over.

Kev0909
20th September 2020, 08:34 PM
I didn't mean just that, was a few challenges that nearly was- that would have got him booked if he connected, but thankfully he didn't, it's a shame I can't re-watch the game and post the clips I mean, like I said nothing major.

Was no need to run in from behind though for the pen too, but didn't cost us anyway

Nineteenx
20th September 2020, 08:44 PM
I didn't mean just that, was a few challenges that nearly was- that would have got him booked if he connected, but thankfully he didn't, it's a shame I can't re-watch the game and post the clips I mean, like I said nothing major.

Was no need to run in from behind though for the pen too, but didn't cost us anyway

His action for the pen that never should have been given was class not reckless, the seasoned professionals knack of doing just enough to put the player off without fouling them, unfortunately, the ref bought Werners dive. No need to post clips Kev, I know exactly the challenges you are talking about, 2 of them were actually very cute, he knew exactly what he was doing and was never going to make contact

Kev0909
20th September 2020, 08:47 PM
How was it class in any way shape of form???????

you've lost it if that was gomez...... jeeze

I don't even think it was a penalty but still don't run in from behind in the box, it's only going to end in tears

Thiago is class, i'm not saying otherwise hence no big deal but there's always things you can pick on, and I thought sometimes he was a little clumsy in the challenge in my view, but like I said debut probably trying hard as he can which isn't a bad thing.

He's not going to let you suck his dick

Nineteenx
20th September 2020, 08:48 PM
Should it of been a penalty against him? It looked like Werner tripped himself over.

It was never a pen Ian, Thiago did the seasoned pros trick of doing enough to put the player off, get in his way and break his momentum without committing any foul, Werner dived and the ref bought it

Nineteenx
20th September 2020, 08:52 PM
How was it class in any way shape of form???????

you've lost it if that was gomez...... jeeze

I don't even think it was a penalty but still don't run in from behind in the box, it's only going to end in tears

Thiago is class, i'm not saying otherwise hence no big deal but there's always things you can pick on, and I thought sometimes he was a little clumsy in the challenge in my view.

He's not going to let you suck his dick

The point being he didn't run into him at all, he made sure he didn't. It reminded me of Hendo's absolutely world class tackle on Valencia v the filthy that way, slid in down the side of him and as his foot got in front of the ball when the filthy player was pulling the trigger turned his foot out to block the shot without touching the player at all, their lad throws himself to ground and rolls about it, Whiskey face was their manager with Gill balls deep in the FA and refs association, so they get a pen

CCTV
20th September 2020, 09:08 PM

My initial thoughts, not seen it back yet

eggy81
21st September 2020, 10:37 AM
Its on sky sports youtube. I think he very slightly brushes his leg. As 19 says he put himself just enough in his space to put him off. He takes another step after the contact but the ball runs slightly away to make the shot more difficult so he goes to ground. He bought the pen really. The ref fell for it. On the soft side but seen plenty given.

eggy81
21st September 2020, 10:42 AM
Its greatvto have that player that rather than shits themselves when pressed can use it as an advantage to play disguised passes through the lines or use some skill to take players out of the game. The little shimmy to completely baffle jorgino and the top spin cross looking for sslah in behind that was over hit. I love players who can do this sort of thing. Xavi like.

BlackSalmon
21st September 2020, 11:57 AM
Genuinely feel as though we have signed someone in the same bracket as Alonso. So excited to see this guy just sit and pass the ball about the pitch. I have the same feelings I got with the signing of Xabi; the only difference is that we ALREADY know about his quality, where as Xabi came with a bit more developing to do.

Steveo
21st September 2020, 12:05 PM
Genuinely feel as though we have signed someone in the same bracket as Alonso. So excited to see this guy just sit and pass the ball about the pitch. I have the same feelings I got with the signing of Xabi; the only difference is that we ALREADY know about his quality, where as Xabi came with a bit more developing to do.

It's like when Xabi signed for Bayern. Thiago has won the lot. He will have to adjust to the Premier league and the fact that players don't care who you are...they will have a pop - but his technique is on another level to anything for us now. IF he is utilised properly - we have the ability to completely change our game - a scary thought for opposition teams when you consider how good we already are. I was poop scared he would end up down the East lancs road...

worldpanel
21st September 2020, 02:32 PM
I feel a lot better about playing the Arse now with a bit of swagger. They've tried to climb on their perch a bit, but we should show them who's boss next week.
Oh, and yes, Thiago starts that game, Fab as CB

skyebo
21st September 2020, 02:36 PM
I feel a lot better about playing the Arse now with a bit of swagger. They've tried to climb on their perch a bit, but we should show them who's boss next week.
Oh, and yes, Thiago starts that game, Fab as CB

We'll blow em away like we did under Rodgers in 2014. They have beaten a team that already doesn't look good enough to stay up, then struggled to beat West Ham. We are a totally different proposition to those two, and they'll know that when we've seen them off.

worldpanel
21st September 2020, 02:42 PM
This, although early in the season is one of those 'sending a message' type games.
A bit like Leic 0-4 earlier this year, that just about cemented our intentions to win the League IMO

skyebo
21st September 2020, 03:03 PM
This, although early in the season is one of those 'sending a message' type games.
A bit like Leic 0-4 earlier this year, that just about cemented our intentions to win the League IMO

I remember that game very well. Keita had his best game for us that day, totally bossed the midfield, then he got dropped for the next game to make way for Lallana. Klopp must have had a knock to the head.

justincredible
22nd September 2020, 10:35 AM
https://youtu.be/ERvtIGNl79c

Steveo
22nd September 2020, 10:44 AM
Superb how he keeps the game constantly evolving in the final third with his incisive passes - he bamboozles that packed blue wall. They get no clue as to which side he will go - how deep the ball or the angle...would have been even more effective still v 11.

Joetan991
23rd September 2020, 04:19 AM

If u saw how Man City keep trying to dive in the box and got a penalty, there will be no suprised this penalty is a penalty.

justincredible
23rd September 2020, 07:51 AM
https://youtu.be/YYC24NxbTHA

Nineteenx
23rd September 2020, 09:42 AM
He'll need to sharpen up on being part of our press, which will come in time

And Hendo and the other lads will need to have a word with him about not giving the officials any opportunity to give something, I love how we play and a big part of that being we don't give officials any chance whatsoever to give wrong decisions against us as they did for the pen v Chelsea.

I banged on about that for years, that given any opportunity to award a decision against us, officials more often than not did, so we had to limit their opportunities and it's incredibly evident in how we play and how our defenders stand up thta we make every effort to stop officials having the opportunity to do that. Thiago needs to be informed why we play like that and that it isn't a level playing field as far as our club is concerned with officials

Steveo
23rd September 2020, 10:48 AM
Possibly - but we don't want to turn him into what we already have. Needs to bring that finesse - the metronomic, intricate and incisive forward passing that we often lack to feed our front 3. We can't rely on the bombing wing backs all the time - teams are getting wise to it. If deployed correctly he will save our legs... Teams are pressing us - He can make them pay.

eggy81
23rd September 2020, 10:54 AM
He'll need to sharpen up on being part of our press, which will come in time

And Hendo and the other lads will need to have a word with him about not giving the officials any opportunity to give something, I love how we play and a big part of that being we don't give officials any chance whatsoever to give wrong decisions against us as they did for the pen v Chelsea.

I banged on about that for years, that given any opportunity to award a decision against us, officials more often than not did, so we had to limit their opportunities and it's incredibly evident in how we play and how our defenders stand up thta we make every effort to stop officials having the opportunity to do that. Thiago needs to be informed why we play like that and that it isn't a level playing field as far as our club is concerned with officials

Will ya give over with that shite. We get as many decisions as anyone in our favour. More than most.

Nineteenx
27th September 2020, 04:01 PM
Possibly - but we don't want to turn him into what we already have. Needs to bring that finesse - the metronomic, intricate and incisive forward passing that we often lack to feed our front 3. We can't rely on the bombing wing backs all the time - teams are getting wise to it. If deployed correctly he will save our legs... Teams are pressing us - He can make them pay.

I think you misunderstand what I meant, first game he fitted very nicely into our midfield and our press, was slightly off in a few moments getting the wrong side of players on the odd occasion and trying to go the wrong side to win the odd ball he couldn't.

I only meant it's a case of him finding his place and the balance of almost always being available for the pass and being far enough off his man to receive it comfortably and still being in a great position to stop any potential counter should our play break down and he'll find that place quickly i'm sure

I'm also really looking forward to the rotation of 3 midfield positions in time and games that we saw emerge last season when Fabinho was out, it could be sensationally fluid with both Thiago's and Henderson's switch ability and ball playing ability

I do disagree with the comment about our full backs, I don't think teams are getting wise to them, when we're playing our switch balls to release them in space on the opposite side, play having been compressed in an area on the other side of the ptich, it's pretty unstoppable however well teams are drilled, it was more a case of playing games without Hendo since the enforced Covid break and so having no-one in midfield to play those switch balls, no we have Hendo and Thaigo who can play them effortlessly at will, Thaigo with either foot. If anything, the Thiago metronome of playing the ball into an area to receive it back and play a first time pin point switch to the opposite side of the field will make our full backs even more potent and important

toneata
29th September 2020, 06:46 PM
from the offal....

Liverpool midfielder Thiago Alcantara has tested positive for COVID-19 and is currently self-isolating according to the necessary guidelines.

The 29-year-old, who missed Monday’s match against Arsenal, has exhibited minor symptoms of the virus but is in good health and is getting better.

The club has, and will continue to follow, all protocols relating to COVID-19 and Thiago will remain in self-isolation for the required period of time.

LFC first-team doctor, Dr Jim Moxon, said: “It is the choice of each individual whether they reveal publicly the outcome of a COVID-19 test.

“We have followed all the protocols to the letter and Thiago is OK. He will be self-isolating now as per the guidelines and hopefully he’ll be back with us soon.”

Balinkay
29th September 2020, 06:50 PM
Balls. Hope none of the other lads got it...

Kev0909
29th September 2020, 06:56 PM
Someone said this was reported a week ago so doubt it well done whoever said about it.

dicko1969
17th October 2020, 10:06 PM
The boy can play
Wow
What a performance
It's like watching an artist at the peak of his skills.
Control
Pass
Vision
Dribble
What did he try to do late on with his feet roll over the ball !

What an amazing talent.

Please stay fit 🙏🙏

ianlfc
18th October 2020, 11:22 AM
I thought he was outstanding yesterday, hopefully not injured as bad as we all fear.
A proper footballer.

Balinkay
18th October 2020, 11:32 AM
He didn't get involved enough for me. Very early days though - when he did, he was outstanding. Not in playing that killer pass anyway.

Steveo
18th October 2020, 11:37 AM
I thought he was outstanding yesterday, hopefully not injured as bad as we all fear.
A proper footballer.

Spot on - top class player who rendered Everton’s quality midfield impotent in his Derby debut..!!

Made Hendo’s job far far easier too.

Balinkay
18th October 2020, 11:38 AM
Spot on - top class player who rendered Everton’s quality midfield impotent. Made Hendo’s job far far easier too.

That's a very good point I hadn't thought about. His defensive contribution was very impressive at times too.

Steveo
18th October 2020, 11:40 AM
Let’s hope to god he isn’t badly hurt. It could have been a career ending injury that by BigtimeCharliesSon... What an absolute bunch of clunts... they are

Insidious
18th October 2020, 12:13 PM
Don't read too much into these things on individual performances, but....

Most touches (93)
Most passes (70)
Most passes in opposition half (48)
Most take-ons completed (4)
Most interceptions (2)

....definitely looks encouraging.

teesred
18th October 2020, 12:13 PM
Just read some news there that they are hopeful it's not as serious as VvDs, waiting for swelling to go down. Just shows how bad the tackle actually was, dont care about bullshit apologies afterwards. Theres no place for those 2 tackles in football.

dicko1969
18th October 2020, 03:38 PM
Let’s hope to god he isn’t badly hurt. It could have been a career ending injury that by BigtimeCharliesSon... What an absolute bunch of clunts... they are
He said sorry and didn't mean it.
Again bollox
He meant it.
Bring back gerrard and souness for the home game ...
Fck it .. McMahon too.

dicko1969
18th October 2020, 03:40 PM
Just read some news there that they are hopeful it's not as serious as VvDs, waiting for swelling to go down. Just shows how bad the tackle actually was, dont care about bullshit apologies afterwards. Theres no place for those 2 tackles in football.

Exactly
Both knew what they were doing
They were trying to injure players.
"Sorry"
Fuck off !

Kev0909
18th October 2020, 03:45 PM
Exactly
Both knew what they were doing
They were trying to injure players.
"Sorry"
Fuck off !

because they're top of the league for once and think they may have a chance

hence taking out our best players, as we're the biggest threat.

Obviously they won't but yeah

Shithouses

redebreck
20th October 2020, 03:48 PM
Couldn't believe Richarlison was arguing about his red card. Looked really upset, too!

ianlfc
20th October 2020, 05:28 PM
3 days later watching both tackles, They don't look any better. I'd go as far ro say the Tiago one was worse than Virgils.
Both were awful.

Nineteenx
21st October 2020, 03:54 PM
Sign me up for the derby Jurgen, bring me on in injury time when there are 2 minutes left and we've got a corner and i will fucking end that cunt Prickford

Nineteenx
27th October 2020, 05:40 PM
We need to keep Thiago fit, he is an exceptional talent with incredible experience and know how who in a midfield with Hendo can help push the evolution of this team even further

In Hendo's absence i think, although i believe every players should be more communicative verbally and visually in making sure our press, counter press and positioning to win second balls is as phenomenal as it was in that 20 odd game run last season, Thiago should be the player most of all who Jurgen and the analysis team work with to understand why it was so phenomenal and to really be as vocal and communicative and direct team mates and lead to make sure it is, he has incredible game intelligence and experience on top of all his other qualities

Insidious
26th December 2020, 04:34 PM
Come on lad - 2021 beckons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cySZWsjVd2I&feature=emb_logo

miller0863
26th December 2020, 04:43 PM
Wonder how well Utd would do without Fernandes or City without De Bruyne for as long as we’ve been without Thiago.

boom-klopp
26th December 2020, 04:48 PM

buy a joke book

Nineteenx
26th December 2020, 06:15 PM
buy a joke book

I don't need one, i can just watch either filthy team if i want a good laugh, i absolutely loathe all mancs, as a breed of people, they're truly special kinds of cunts

Insidious
31st December 2020, 12:55 AM
Amidst the grey and overcast World that was a frustrating draw against Newcastle, Thiago absolutely illuminated everything around him in his brief cameo.

The way he receives the ball and dictates play is just a joy to watch. Trent, Salah, Mane, Robertson and Firmino would all be wise to make darting runs as soon as they are Thiago receive the ball, as he looks a dead cert to find somebody every time he picks it up.

miller0863
31st December 2020, 12:56 AM
He looked incredible, pity he’s not 26.

LEGS
31st December 2020, 01:00 AM
He looks absolute class.

Kev0909
31st December 2020, 01:00 AM
He looks absolute class.

been a while since we've had a top midfielder

Balinkay
31st December 2020, 01:01 AM
Yes. Though we could still get a good four years out of him. Hell, Silva's been excellent in Spain by all accounts and he's 34.

eggy81
31st December 2020, 01:06 AM
been a while since we've had a top midfielder

Tbf the strength of this team has in a massive way been down to the sheet graft of a largely disciplined and workhorse midfield. It looks like going forward we’ll need to change it up from that to continue winning.

Insidious
31st December 2020, 01:08 AM
He looked incredible, pity he’s not 26.

Yeah that would be wonderful.

Still, marginally younger than Henderson and Wijnaldum and his game is hardly reliant on pace and acceleration, so hopefully a lot of joy between now and the end of 23/24.

eggy81
31st December 2020, 01:10 AM
Yeah that would be wonderful.

Still, marginally younger than Henderson and Wijnaldum and his game is hardly reliant on pace and acceleration, so hopefully a lot of joy between now and the end of 23/24.
I really admired his sheer refusal to pas sideways and backwards even with limited opportunities to pass forward tonight. It really displayed what people complain about when we do get sucked into lateral passing and you think to yourself feck all was on, what’s he talking about. Something is always on for Thiago

Kev0909
31st December 2020, 01:14 AM
Tbf the strength of this team has in a massive way been down to the sheet graft of a largely disciplined and workhorse midfield. It looks like going forward we’ll need to change it up from that to continue winning.

Yeah- I agree, it's why the front 3 have been so good and bailed us out with lack of goals/top quality etc from the midfield, well use to be anyway.

but lately it's not worked, hopefully thiago is the answer.

miller0863
31st December 2020, 01:20 AM
Yeah I noticed that eggy. Hopefully others will raise their game to get closer to his level

dicko1969
31st December 2020, 01:42 AM
Thiago is a rolls royce
His passing and vision is wow !

justincredible
31st December 2020, 06:43 AM
https://www.empireofthekop.com/2020/12/30/video-thiagos-best-bits-from-liverpool-return-too-good-for-this-level-says-comp-maker/

LFC vs PFC
31st December 2020, 12:52 PM
It's amazing that he's only 4ft 7 and still wins all of his aerial duels!

We've been incredibly unlucky for him to be out so long with injury so early, however he seems to be on a different level, even down to the way he kicks the ball.

He made the Ballon D'or team of the season for a reason.

justincredible
31st December 2020, 01:43 PM
We need to keep him injury free for the rest of the season.

stevie harkness
31st December 2020, 01:47 PM
I wasn't expecting to see him until late January so it's a bonus.

justincredible
9th January 2021, 06:31 PM
Neat.....

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2021/01/09/video-thiagos-roulette-just-before-full-time-sums-up-no-6s-technical-ability/

ianlfc
15th January 2021, 07:16 PM
Sunday will be his Anfield debut, better late than never.

Balinkay
15th January 2021, 07:18 PM
Sunday will be his Anfield debut, better late than never.

Jeebus. That's sad.

Kev0909
18th January 2021, 01:23 AM
Poor guy probably didn't expect this after watching us last season

probably thinking what have I done

Balinkay
18th January 2021, 08:13 AM
If he's half as good a player as we'd hoped, he'll relish the challenge.

LEGS
18th January 2021, 10:47 AM
If he's half as good a player as we'd hoped, he'll relish the challenge.

He is quality mate you can see that and he has played against some of the best sides in the league.

Brilliant signing.

jr81
19th January 2021, 12:14 PM
He is quality mate you can see that and he has played against some of the best sides in the league.

Brilliant signing.
First Barnes and now Hamann, both saying he doesn't suit our style. He likes possession and slows our play down affecting the front players.

I don't think we have seen him enough in this team yet to make that judgement.
What do ye think?

LEGS
19th January 2021, 12:29 PM
First Barnes and now Hamann, both saying he doesn't suit our style. He likes possession and slows our play down affecting the front players.

What do ye think?

I can see what they are saying to some degree.

We cant have a team of Milner/Hendos runninh at 100mph you need someone to put their foot on the ball more so in Europe.

He may be slower in terms of holding the ball but if a first time pass is on he can spot a player a fraction quicker that makes a difference.

Put it bluntly he is a top class midfielder and you can see that straight away he has also played United/Everton two of our toughest games.

Insidious
19th January 2021, 01:05 PM

What do ye think?

Thiago is a perfect fit for what we are transitioning into.

We are still in the midst of that transition, so there will be teething issues.

Steveo
19th January 2021, 01:51 PM

Hope so Sid - cheered me up a bit thinking along these lines..

LEGS
19th January 2021, 02:21 PM

Correct.

Thiago didnt start at Fulham Newcastle or WBA at home.

In short Didi is talking shit and is well known for being abit thick.

skyebo
19th January 2021, 02:33 PM
Correct.

Thiago didnt start at Fulham Newcastle or WBA at home.

In short Didi is talking shit and is well known for being abit thick.

Hamann has contradicted himself many times on tv. He will say one thing on LFC TV, and totally go the other way when interviewed on other channels usually BBC.

TheDOC1979
19th January 2021, 06:14 PM
Barnes and Didi are chatting shit. He’s played what...two games for us? One he got injured and the other yesterday when the whole team is out of shape? Absolute bollocks if you ask me. Look at the existing players as well as manager for the lack of form.

skyebo
19th January 2021, 06:32 PM
Maybe he'll bring something different to the team. i must have put the curse on Robertson when i named him POTY, because he has not been the same player since, Trent likewise on the other side.

Kev0909
19th January 2021, 06:50 PM
Think he looks great, had the most interceptions pass's etc duels won etc v utd

not just the stats was very impressed with him in general, didn't think his defensive work was that good

about time we had some actual quality in midfield

ianlfc
19th January 2021, 07:43 PM
It seemed to work ok for Bayern, with the amount of time teams give us the ball there's worse footballers in the world to have pulling the strings.

jr81
19th January 2021, 08:44 PM
I think it's way to early to make any judgements. Just interesting with Hamann as I'm sure he would have watched him plenty. But as many have said, he is known to contradict himself. His passing is class, so if the front men keep making runs he will find them.

Nineteenx
19th January 2021, 09:14 PM
Thiago is sheer unadulterated class and exactly the type of player we needed, i can't wait to see him have a run of games with Hendo and Gini, he presses and reads the game superbly and crucially has that extra creativity we've been so desperate for, especially Noods

Insidious
29th January 2021, 10:01 AM
Ah, Thiago, what a player.

I know he didn't get away with it last night, but he has a level of cynicism in his play that I quite like.

We are "too nice" at times and whilst I wouldn't want a total thug in the side, he has shown the capacity to get away with a couple before he gets a yellow - reminds me of a certain nullifier of counter-attacks that plays for City in that regard.

He does try some questionable challenges and WILL get a red card under us at some stage, but his understanding of the graft and capacity to do a little dirty work is welcome - communicates with the ref as well - again, I don't want us surrounding refs a la the red Mancs, but a willingness to get in their ear a bit over handball shouts etc is a good thing to have.

More importantly though, his contribution in possession, mixing up the attack by picking different passes and the awareness is just fantastic. He was a big part of us working moves a little more and you can see us getting more options via him supplying a penetrating pass to a runner, rather than us crossing it a little too often (which we fell into for a bit there I felt, on the eye test) and it's a delight to see.

With luck he can contribute next season in a set-up that is less plagued by injury and we can see him at his fullest capacity.

Steveo
29th January 2021, 10:14 AM
Totally agree Sid.

teesred
29th January 2021, 10:43 AM
He definitely likes to leave a foot in now and then.
Did Hojberg get a yellow card? He must have committed about 8 fouls lasnite.

ianlfc
29th January 2021, 11:26 AM
He definitely likes to leave a foot in now and then.
Did Hojberg get a yellow card? He must have committed about 8 fouls lasnite.

That Hojberg is a dirty wee fucker !! A player you hate to play against but would like if he was in your team. Just like Suarez.

ianlfc
29th January 2021, 11:28 AM
Klopp said after the game Thiago can play alot better as he's had it hard since his move . From arriving late , to illness then injury.

justme
29th January 2021, 11:30 AM
He got booked for fuck all last night.. The spurs player ran into him. Thiago wasnt even looking at the Tottenham player when the contact was made.

dicko1969
13th February 2021, 07:51 PM
On the bench today.
Needed to take a step away for a game or two.

After that start of immense confidence has come a kind of Ray sideways slow the play down Wilkins type player.

Possibly he needs a bit of time to adapt to the physicality and direct way to play in English football.

Even if one of the best midfielders in the world.

He has noticeably tried to be more physical in the battle.

But what he must learn is to get the ball flowing and forward as much as possible.

But you dont change in being a world class player.
I bet he will admit the adaptation to EPL is bigger than he thought it would be.

ianlfc
19th April 2021, 10:12 PM
I've seen enough.
It's a NO from me.

miller0863
19th April 2021, 10:14 PM
Did they send the right Thiago?? This one’s crap.

ianlfc
19th April 2021, 10:18 PM
Did they send the right Thiago?? This one’s crap.

Bayern got rid and replaced him in the squad with that young exciting English /German player Jamal Musiala.

TheDOC1979
19th April 2021, 10:18 PM
If you're playing him alongside useless team mates in midfield, there is only so much he can do on his own.

Kev0909
19th April 2021, 10:20 PM
Only midfielder that nearly score/create something in fairness

miller0863
19th April 2021, 10:22 PM
Fabinho manages to look good in there, as does Henderson and Milner for an hour or so. He came with a huge reputation and a £200k a week salary. Not seen anything to warrant either the reputation or salary.

teesred
19th April 2021, 10:22 PM
Hes a class player, just not for us. Struggling to think of a bigger disappointment than him in terms of the expectation level when they arrived.

Steveo
19th April 2021, 10:26 PM
Hes a class player, just not for us. Struggling to think of a bigger disappointment than him in terms of the expectation level when they arrived.

Correct - class player in a difficult year - playing in a Liverpool side minus Virgil - so many have looked poor or ordinary - no bonding due to Coronavirus and no fans.

Biggest disappointment - perhaps he is - but Keita has also been a gigantic flop. So much so I have asked genuinely if he is a ringer

ianlfc
19th April 2021, 10:26 PM
I expected more myself, he's definitely a player who grabs a game and wins it on his own. No doubt he expected to be playing along side Hendo, which would've made a huge difference.
As Miller says Gini is on the plane to Barca already.

teesred
19th April 2021, 10:32 PM
Correct - class player in a difficult year - playing in a Liverpool side minus Virgil - so many have looked poor or ordinary - no bonding due to Coronavirus and no fans.

Biggest disappointment - perhaps he is - but Keita has also been a gigantic flop. So much so I have asked genuinely if he is a ringer

I'll reserve judgement until next season when things are hopefully back to normal and we've signed a midfielder who may compliment him? Too early to write off completely but I'm not hopeful.
Ians just being dead nasty.

teesred
19th April 2021, 10:33 PM
I expected more myself, he's definitely a player who grabs a game and wins it on his own. No doubt he expected to be playing along side Hendo, which would've made a huge difference.
As Miller says Gini is on the plane to Barca already.

Wijnaldum checked out months ago. Thats always the issue with letting players run contracts down. The club is as much to blame.

ianlfc
19th April 2021, 10:35 PM
I'll reserve judgement until next season when things are hopefully back to normal and we've signed a midfielder who may compliment him? Too early to write off completely but I'm not hopeful.
Ians just being dead nasty.

I've had enough !!

RedNoodle
19th April 2021, 10:39 PM
He's largely been utter gash since he arrived. As others have said, I just don't think he is suited to the pace and intensity of the PL. He also can't tackle for **** either. A bit like Scholes, but without the actual good bits of his game.

RedNoodle
19th April 2021, 10:41 PM
Wijnaldum checked out months ago. Thats always the issue with letting players run contracts down. The club is as much to blame.

FSG said a while back that they were putting off negotiating new contracts as a result of Covid. Yet another excuse from them.

Kev0909
19th April 2021, 10:42 PM
FSG said a while back that they were putting off negotiating new contracts as a result of Covid. Yet another excuse from them.

More like the shitter league!

Insidious
24th April 2021, 11:54 PM
Some wonderful vertical passed today.

Really want to see him if/as/when we are functioning again next season.

Nineteenx
25th April 2021, 01:07 AM
I thought Thiago was very good today, quite sure we'd have kept the ball a lot better had he not been replaced by Jones and would likely have got all 3 points today

I still think he will be a great player for us, this season isn't ideal for anyone, I do think he is the right player, I just think we needed a Fabian Ruiz type midfielder first and then to add a Thiago

Nineteenx
27th April 2021, 08:11 PM
Thiago will finish this season never once having had the opportunity to play in a midfield 3 with Hendo and Gini, never mind a run of game

the Hendo and Gini combo has been our best by a mile, it has facilitated every single one of our midfielder who have played with those 2 playing to much higher levels and playing our press and counter press game as it is at its best

Whoever the midfielder is we bring in to replace Gini, I think we need to start the season with Hendo at No6 orchestrating the press and counter pressing to get them up to speed, I also believe that if Thiago had the opportunity to play in a midfield 3 with Hendo and Gini he'd have quickly got into our press and counter press and in that he'd have got A LOT of opportunities in which he got the ball in positions higher up with the opportunity to play our forwards or full backs in

jozza800
27th April 2021, 10:07 PM
Thiago will finish this season never once having had the opportunity to play in a midfield 3 with Hendo and Gini, never mind a run of game

the Hendo and Gini combo has been our best by a mile, it has facilitated every single one of our midfielder who have played with those 2 playing to much higher levels and playing our press and counter press game as it is at its best

Whoever the midfielder is we bring in to replace Gini, I think we need to start the season with Hendo at No6 orchestrating the press and counter pressing to get them up to speed, I also believe that if Thiago had the opportunity to play in a midfield 3 with Hendo and Gini he'd have quickly got into our press and counter press and in that he'd have got A LOT of opportunities in which he got the ball in positions higher up with the opportunity to play our forwards or full backs in

Agreed. It's harsh to judge him on such a 'bitty' season where we've not once had a settled side.

Nineteenx
27th April 2021, 10:15 PM
It's harsh to judge him on such a 'bitty' season where we've not once had a settled side.

There it is! THANK YOU Jozza, at least someone else here appreciates the value and importance and greater strength being able to field a settled side gives to all teams

Insidious
28th April 2021, 12:08 AM
Not sure if it would be too imbalanced or not, but at some stage I'd love to see Hendo, Jones and Thiago as a midfield three for a couple of games against opposition we "should" be beating.

justme
28th April 2021, 01:08 AM
To me i would play Jones has a false number 9... I dont see him fitting in anywhere else. Thats if we play with a false 9. which we do. But would prefer an out and out forward.

ianlfc
9th May 2021, 11:20 AM
Yes he scored a good goal which relived the pressure in the closing minutes, but there's a bit of overboard going on this morning on social media regarding his performance. For a centre midfielder he doesn't half give away silly tackles . He's like the Spanish Lucas 😆😆 And he needs to remember he's not in Spain or Germany were they get more time on the ball.
I can see him moving on in the summer but if not we'll be expecting a lot more from him next season.
He's been a huge let down though I'm sure he knows that.

teesred
9th May 2021, 11:32 AM
Need to wait on him though. If this time next season we are still on the same page with him then toodle-oo but let's see who we bring in over summer and get Hendo back.

miller0863
9th May 2021, 12:36 PM
Totally agree Ian.

justme
9th May 2021, 12:46 PM
He wouldnt be in my starting 11.... A back 4 of Alisson Van Djik (1 other) Taa and Robbo.. then Fabinho and Henderson and quality attacking midfielder. we really need to get back to a strong midfield. If you get better forward than Firmino some one whos scores regular you will get enough goals with the front 3. just need more quality attackers for back up. with the same ability has the front 3. so they can come in when needs be and the standard doesnt drop off

Steveo
9th May 2021, 12:58 PM
On the evidence of this season it is hard to disagree with those who don’t rate him. He has looked miles off it.

BUT this is an exceptional season in so many ways. He came to England during a global pandemic. Lockdown - unable to socialise with anyone in the new country - unable even to travel back to his former haunts to see family etc. This is a pretty dreadful season to be moving from one league to another.

He clearly has technical ability that we lack - and the Everton game apart - he has played in a Liverpool side with a failing front 3 - both full backs MIA for most of the season and a defence with how many changes and different pairings? Fabinho and Then Hendo at CB? Then Phillips and Kabak - last night Williams and Phillips.?? In short both in front of him and behind him he has had virtually nothing to work with - in a new league and behind closed doors. Not easy at all.

Give him time to show his quality I say.

justme
9th May 2021, 01:03 PM
We dont really have time.. Klopp only has 3 years left.. we need to get it right now. Its a big call on Thiago. he scares me to death when he gets caught all the time. trying to be fancy..

Steveo
9th May 2021, 01:06 PM
We dont really have time.. Klopp only has 3 years left.. we need to get it right now. Its a big call on Thiago. he scares me to death when he gets caught all the time. trying to be fancy..

Agree - it doesn’t look great but he is used to playing with much better players or in a league where his team was heads and shoulders better than the opposition. It will take a bit of time. He isn’t Luka Modric level but he is class.

skyebo
9th May 2021, 01:08 PM
Took his goal well last night.

ianlfc
9th May 2021, 01:16 PM
Give him time ? Poor Ricky Lambert wasn't given that 😆😆

Nineteenx
9th May 2021, 01:19 PM
I think he's improved, it would be a great help to him to have had a run of games with Hendo at No6 and Gini at LCM, but, from how he has been used to playing, I personally think he's made great strides in using his range and passing ability better, playing the ball earlier, playing switches to find Robbo and he's even adjusted his technique he uses to play those passes, making them easier to control and less whippy and flighty

It's important to the team as a whole to have a solid base, with a solid base with continuity in defence and with Gini and Hendo for company in midfield, who have facilitated every single other midfielder we have playing to higher levels because of how well they understand each other and how much they help and support them, Thiago would have faired a lot better this season

I'm hopeful the links and alleged numerous contact about Rodrigo De Paul comes to fruition, then we can offload a few and have De Paul and Thiago for our options at RCM, De Paul looks to me every inch the player we really needed to sign before we added a Thiago, to me he has absolutely everything we need and have been missing, I think signing him will be an absolute gamechanger for our midfield

I would send Jones on loan, he doesn't excite me as a prospect at all, he reminds me of Ray Wilkins, takes too many touches, slows things down too much, doesn't play balls when they're on, doesn't have the range of passing of switches, long diagonals attempted balls over the top or the more incisive creative through balls or short crosses we need in the final third and he isn't good in the press either, so really, I have no idea, apart from him being a Scouser what any of the noise about him is all about, he needs a season on loan to play a lot of games against men

Steveo
9th May 2021, 01:24 PM
Give him time ? Poor Ricky Lambert wasn't given that 😆😆

His first day was long enough bless him. Should have known his level and stayed where he was. The old Boyhood club dream proved too big a lure.

From Luis to Ricky in one summer.

A little like going from champions to the chumps we have been this season

justme
9th May 2021, 01:25 PM
Our best 3 was Fabinho Henderson and Wijaldum last season.. It was our back 6 that won us the league.Back 4 and a strong midfield.. We had like 21 clean sheets (i think).

skyebo
9th May 2021, 01:52 PM
The midfield could look entirely different next season. Wijnaldum off in the summer, Henderson turns 31 too. Keep getting linked with Bissouma. The midfield will be easier to replace than the forwards.

Nineteenx
9th May 2021, 01:52 PM
Our best 3 was Fabinho Henderson and Wijaldum last season.. It was our back 6 that won us the league.Back 4 and a strong midfield.. We had like 21 clean sheets (i think).

We didn't have a best 3, we had a best 2, Hendo and Gini with Hendo at No6, that run of games in Fabs absence was Klopp's system played to a miles higher level than we had ever played it before or have ever played it since and it didn't matter who we played at RCM in that 15 game run, Keita, Lallana, Ox, Millie, every single one them played the system to that same higher level, the most fundamental parts of that were the vastly superior level of our pressing and counter pressing and vastly superior distribution, awareness, leadership and vison from No6 from Hendo

It meant that with our high line, because they made the press and counter press virtually impenetrable, we could pin sides in like never before offering them virtually no outball whatsoever apart from attempted hopeful long hoofs over the top

P15 W15 Clean sheets 10 (TEN) and that would have been 11 clean sheets if that twat Atkinson hadn't let Donkey Dunk put his free kick into and unguarded net when Adrian was still lining up his wall after Alisson had been sent off v Brighton

Prior to that, with Fab at No6 our record was

P20 W17 D2 L1 Clean sheets 2 (TWO

only 2 clean sheets in 20 games and we went back to letting goals in and losing and drawing games when we reverted back to that

ianlfc
9th May 2021, 02:23 PM
The 17 wins , 2 draws and 1 loss made up for it !!

LEGS
9th May 2021, 02:32 PM
In fairness to Thiago he has missed about 4 months football with Covid and the Brazilian thug.

skyebo
9th May 2021, 02:46 PM
In fairness to Thiago he has missed about 4 months football with Covid and the Brazilian thug.
He has played enough games not to use those factors as an excuse. He hasn't been good enough. One goal and no assists is a record on par with the other midfield players.

LEGS
9th May 2021, 03:00 PM
He has played enough games not to use those factors as an excuse. He hasn't been good enough. One goal and no assists is a record on par with the other midfield players.

Yes but he isnt that type of midfielder Modric/Alonso didnt score/assist many that isnt what we signed him for.

He needs to be given next season when hopefully we can put out a settled team instead of chopping & changing it.

We also need a few younger players to freshen up the squad and age profile.

eggy81
9th May 2021, 03:05 PM
Fans on other forums saying he and Fabinho “bossed” midfield. What game were they watching.

skyebo
9th May 2021, 03:10 PM
Yes but he isnt that type of midfielder Modric/Alonso didnt score/assist many that isnt what we signed him for.

He needs to be given next season when hopefully we can put out a settled team instead of chopping & changing it.

We also need a few younger players to freshen up the squad and age profile.
It's everyone's job to assist and score when in a position to do so, and Alonso got his fair share of goals here, and Modric has a decent record too.

miller0863
9th May 2021, 03:13 PM
We’ve had enough good midfielders over the years to know one when we see one and in Thiago I don’t see one.

miller0863
9th May 2021, 03:14 PM
And I thought Fabinho had a poor game by his standards.

Nineteenx
9th May 2021, 03:22 PM
We didn't have a best 3, we had a best 2, Hendo and Gini with Hendo at No6, that run of games in Fabs absence was Klopp's system played to a miles higher level than we had ever played it before or have ever played it since and it didn't matter who we played at RCM in that 15 game run, Keita, Lallana, Ox, Millie, every single one them played the system to that same higher level, the most fundamental parts of that were the vastly superior level of our pressing and counter pressing and vastly superior distribution, awareness, leadership and vison from No6 from Hendo

It meant that with our high line, because they made the press and counter press virtually impenetrable, we could pin sides in like never before offering them virtually no outball whatsoever apart from attempted hopeful long hoofs over the top

P15 W15 Clean sheets 10 (TEN) and that would have been 11 clean sheets if that twat Atkinson hadn't let Donkey Dunk put his free kick into and unguarded net when Adrian was still lining up his wall after Alisson had been sent off v Brighton

Prior to that, with Fab at No6 our record was

P20 W17 D2 L1 Clean sheets 2 (TWO

only 2 clean sheets in 20 games and we went back to letting goals in and losing and drawing games when we reverted back to that

Edit: AFTER Fab's return

P15 W8 D2 L5 clean sheets 4 FOUR

So, with Justme's alleged best midfield

P35 W25 D4 L6 Clean sheets SIX Not even title winning form

With mine

P15 W15 Clean sheets 10 TEN

Includes Premier League, Champions League and the 2 CWC games

ianlfc
9th May 2021, 04:46 PM
We’ve had enough good midfielders over the years to know one when we see one and in Thiago I don’t see one.

100% mate.

teesred
9th May 2021, 08:42 PM

I was going to say don't tell 19x but then the inevitable happened..............

Nineteenx
9th May 2021, 08:53 PM
I was going to say don't tell 19x but then the inevitable happened..............

Lol :D The stats however, tell a VERY different story, not normally a fella who uses stats to support things as they can be misleading, but win percentage and clean sheets aren't stats that do that, unless you're trying to use them to assert Gomez is a good defender that is

Insidious
10th May 2021, 04:06 PM
It's everyone's job to assist and score when in a position to do so, and Alonso got his fair share of goals here, and Modric has a decent record too.

Get what you're saying, but we clearly didn't buy him thinking he would get goals - never managed more than four goals in a single campaign for Barcelona and his best tally with Bayern was nine in 2016/17.

So it seems we bought him for other things - would be a curious one to analyse next season when we *touch wood* have something of a more "normal" season in terms of injuries and schedule.

Insidious
14th May 2021, 12:01 AM
Showed real energy in the midfield this Evening and assisted the press high up the pitch.

Nineteenx
14th May 2021, 12:27 AM
Showed real energy in the midfield this Evening and assisted the press high up the pitch.

I'm a fan of Thiago's and he is absolutely adjusting his game to use it better for how we play at our best, I would 100% keep him as I think next season, when Henderson is fit and available at No6 again and we have our first choice CB's backs fit again, he will be very quick to get integrated into our press and counter pressing game at it's best and help orchestrate it to

But

We still desperately need Rodrigo De Paul for use as a more attacking and vastly more driven, combative and creative RCM or LCM to replace Keita, Oxlade, Shaqiri and Minamino AND we need Bissouma to replace Gini, I think both will make us far far better and both are big upgrades on what we already have and have had the past four seasons

There will be a lot of different games or parts of games that suit us playing any 2 of Thiago, De Paul or Bissouma

ianlfc
14th May 2021, 06:55 AM

Bloody brilliant last night, but needs to do more against the lesser teams . He just can't pick and choose when he turns up.

justme
14th May 2021, 07:23 AM
I'm unsure about him over all. but love his attitude. hes got that fk you face. which I like.

Nineteenx
14th May 2021, 07:42 AM
Bloody brilliant last night, but needs to do more against the lesser teams . He just can't pick and choose when he turns up.

I think it's been a period of adjustment, he has changed up a lot, he's started pressing a lot better, and given we have had to alter how we press a little because of the injuries and he hasn't featured in midfield with hendo at No6 once all season, it isn't surprising it's taken him time, all the other players have been well of it in the press, because we never had that stable influence or continuity of selection for any number of games to nail the adjusted press down.

What I do like is he is starting to get the ball forward quicker and using his excellent passing more to our strengths

ianlfc
16th May 2021, 06:46 PM
And another outstanding performance,this is more like it. Just 8 months bloody late !!

Insidious
16th May 2021, 06:51 PM
The small man cast a large shadow on proceedings today.

When he is on it, he is really on it.

Alisson's goal means the focus won't be on him, but Thiago bosses that match.

miller0863
16th May 2021, 06:57 PM
Easily his best game.

Nineteenx
17th May 2021, 11:40 AM
I thought Thiago was superb again last night, I know people will say he's a top player etc, but all players get used to and very set in a certain way of playing, be it a system or the automation of how they fit into the team, and we've seen with Robbo and Mane how changes to that can affect players and you only have to look at Wolves this season compared to the last 2 having tried to make the change to a 442 just how much system changes can affect players ability to deliver their very best when all the familiarity, automation and consistency of movement and positioning they have become so used to is suddenly changed.

Thiago has for the majority of his career at Barca and then Bayern been employed as a deep lying playmaker, his main remit to be a metronome to keep possession in more possession based sides with slower build ups who look to play through sides and who are really very good at doing that and to release players between the lines for them to be in a position to create and assist further forward.

Despite his incredible ability and vision with the ball, it was always going to take time and be a major challenge for him to adapt his game and suddenly become a far more dynamic player and adjust and redevelop the use of those abilities in a pressing and counter pressing side who are far more direct and all action and look to profit from winning the ball and second balls from attempted direct attacks and quickly recycle the ball and use it for another point of attack to create another, whose strength with the players they have is attacking sides with lightning speed at every opportunity and I think he deserves great credit for making those changes

Real football isn't fantasy manager, too many people seem to think it is, that you can look at a players attribute stats on a monitor and line them up in any given formation and style of play and based on those attribute stats the PC does a poorly constructed calculation system that is as far removed from real football as it could possibly be that says they should be brilliant.

Thiago's done everything I wanted at least, developed his game to use the ball a lot quicker, to be more direct, his technique of how he plays the ball, added switches and a variety of other balls that our players thrive on to his repertoire and now looks like a completely different player from the one we bought and some player at that

Kev0909
17th May 2021, 11:43 AM
He'll be are best midfielder next season, unless we buy a top class CM which I doubt, but you can hope.

eggy81
17th May 2021, 11:45 AM
Haven’t Jurgen and Mane himself alluded to sadio seeing some medical guys to try get to the bottom of his physical decline this season. Must be a huge factor in his loss of form. Have to say I think he’s looked quicker and stronger in recent weeks. Yesterday he had a pretty poor game but he looked fast and strong again. Just seemed incapable of using the ball correctly. He’ll be back next season.

Nineteenx
17th May 2021, 11:57 AM
He'll be are best midfielder next season, unless we buy a top class CM which I doubt, but you can hope.

I think we absolutely need to add Rodrigo De Paul as the more attacking midfielder to use at RCM and LCM in games like yesterdays and other ones and situations to give us what Keita, Oxlade, Shaqiri and Minamino were bought to give us for those games and situations, but consistently failed to deliver, and there'll be game in which it suits us to start Thiago and De Paul and games in which it suits us to start one or the other and physically the players can't start every game.

I think Thiago is going to be absolutely brilliant for us next season, the adjustments he's made to use his abilities to best facilitate our style of play are brilliant, but how he played for years, most of his career prior to making those adjustments will never leave him, in the sense that we'll have a midfielder of his passing and playmaking ability who can be brilliant being more dynamic and direct, but we'll also have a player who in games he's been rested, can come off the bench in games we're a couple of goals to the good and be that metronome and manage games for us

Nineteenx
20th May 2021, 07:02 AM
Some of this passing is Hendoesque, some if it's different and has things Hendo doesn't have in his locker and better, only critique of what is some excellent passing I have, is that some of those balls, the switches to Robbo, the longer balls, he needs to put back spin on them, they look flashier than Hendo's the technique looks sexier, but it isn't because Hendo hit those types of ball as accurately, as well, they got where they were going as quick if not quicker, weren't sent as high to come back down, but the back spin made them ultimately way better types of that passing

The back spin makes them way easier to control, to pluck out of the air, to take a first touch on that sets it exactly where you want it and need it, Thiago's are all more difficult to control and running away from the players, and if you hit a ball in behind the players' going to have a real chase to catch, the backspin makes it slow up when it hits the turf

Works on short to medium through balls on the deck too, the technique's almost like a stabbing action slightly using the outstep or top of the foot stab, it's the same technique as you use to hit a snooker or pool ball when you want backspin on it, if you practice it you can absolutely whizz the ball through the gap on the deck and play it so the backspin slows it down when it's through the gap

Anyway, I digress, quality from Thiago

https://youtu.be/Q0Lp5756tmo

miller0863
20th May 2021, 07:47 AM
Had a couple of really good games

teesred
20th May 2021, 11:16 AM
Hopefully these last few games the beginning of what we will get next season. A settled quality back four with him playing with Hendo and either Fab or a new guy and hes only going to get better.

Nineteenx
20th May 2021, 04:56 PM
Encouragingly, 2 or 3 of his longer passes and switches were played with backspin last night, I loved his game last night as well, made the play excellently and intelligently, had spells of being further forward looking to create and assist directly and spells of being the deepest playing his longer passes and balls through the lines, the link up to release Robbo or Mane wide left with one of his now more direct longer diagonals or switches, to then move further up the pitch, receive the ball back and release Trent wide right with a flighted ball through the channel, those ones he does need to make up and down balls with backspin too, played one the same for Robbo the opposite way too, but because both had top spin rather than backspin they both just ran away from Trent and Robbo too much, when with backspin they'd have been able to tee another one of our lads up

Insidious
23rd May 2021, 10:50 PM
Besides just being bloody brilliant, I want to add something else on Thiago, which was particularly evident against Crystal Palace.

He is bloody sneaky. In a way that I like. He isn't diving around a la Suarez or Bruno Fernandes (which is a trait I hate) but he does have the capacity to clock up a few fouls before he gets a yellow and also did something today (without being TOO much of a shit about it) that I haven't seen from one of our lads for a while - he actually was working at the ref to get a Palace player sent off.

He's got juuuust the right amount of cynicism about him for me. I wouldn't want all of our players to be like that, but you need one or two. We are a real treat in our fair play overall, which is a joy to see, but when it comes to crunch games, you want someone in the side with this quality. It's easy to picture a mid-March match against City or United where we need the points and he plays a part in helping us get them via how we "works" a ref during a game - and the same can be said for a match in a Champion's League knock-out clash.

I wouldn't want him to go too far with it of course. But we are "too nice" sometimes and he will provide a bit of counter to that.

justme
23rd May 2021, 11:03 PM
yeah hes starting to impress me now as well. Hopefully its a start of things to come..

Insidious
13th June 2021, 12:05 AM
https://vimeo.com/559062590

He is a wee bit good.

Steveo
13th June 2021, 12:07 AM
https://vimeo.com/559062590

He is a wee bit good.

Like watching England train hahaaaaaa :D

Insidious
19th June 2021, 08:55 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/18/thiago-alcantara-we-see-less-magic-less-fantasy-footballers-do-more-but-faster

Well put.

Nineteenx
14th September 2021, 10:26 PM
Thought he played the controller role vacated by Gini very differently than Gini used to but absolutely brilliantly on Sunday

Hendo Fabinho Thiago is clearly our best midfield by a distance, pre-season I envisaged Hendo playing the controller role, with Thiago at RCM, but Sunday changed my mind and convinced me they're better played Thiago controller and Hendo at RCM or No6

jozza800
14th September 2021, 10:41 PM
Thought he played the controller role vacated by Gini very differently than Gini used to but absolutely brilliantly on Sunday

Hendo Fabinho Thiago is clearly our best midfield by a distance, pre-season I envisaged Hendo playing the controller role, with Thiago at RCM, but Sunday changed my mind and convinced me they're better played Thiago controller and Hendo at RCM or No6

Agreed. I think having Hendo on the right also adds another player with the ability to put a whipped ball into the box. He has it in his game. Better angle for crossfield passes.

Wij is a massive loss but I do think his absence will improve us going forward. He was a bugger for turning away from the opposition goal and playing it backwards or slowing the attack right down.

Insidious
20th September 2021, 12:48 PM
Due to miss two games apparently so hopefully an available option for the Man City game.

Steveo
20th September 2021, 01:40 PM
Indeed Sid… ‘Hopefully’ is the right word.