PDA

View Full Version : Your team v Ajax (Champion's League)

Insidious
17th October 2020, 02:31 PM
.........................Adrian

Trent......Matip........Gomez......Robertson

.......................Fabinho

............Henderson.........Thiago

.....Salah...........Mane...........Jota

Want to keep some consistency, but also want to reward Mane's work-rate and see how we play with Mane up top as he has played there before and done well.

Chance to bounce back as I feel a lot of the players will (rightly) feel robbed after the Everton result.

Kev0909
17th October 2020, 02:31 PM
Not firmino or var.

Insidious
17th October 2020, 02:47 PM
Not firmino or var.

Klopp thinks Thiago might be out for a bit so maybe Wijnaldum instead now, slight reshuffle.

Kev0909
17th October 2020, 02:49 PM
Klopp thinks Thiago might be out for a bit so maybe Wijnaldum instead now, slight reshuffle.

Again??

Yeah.. thiago is class but he's never been the fittest of players, hopefully it's not for long.

Pigsy
17th October 2020, 03:00 PM
Again??

Yeah.. thiago is class but he's never been the fittest of players, hopefully it's not for long.

Think he can be forgiven in this case after that leg breaker.

Kev0909
17th October 2020, 03:06 PM
Think he can be forgiven in this case after that leg breaker.

True that, should of thought of that first assumed it wasn't to do with that as he carried on, but obviously played on with a knock if that's the case.

skyebo
17th October 2020, 03:09 PM
Adrian
Alexander-Arnold
Fabinho
Matip
Robertson
Milner
Henderson
Wijnaldum
Salah
Firmino
Mane

Kelleher Williams N Gomez Keita
Jones Minamino Diogo.

Kev0909
17th October 2020, 03:57 PM
Also that must mean thiago did that no look pass for the "goal" which wasn't a goal...with a injury

Love watching him play.

dicko1969
17th October 2020, 10:30 PM
Also that must mean thiago did that no look pass for the "goal" which wasn't a goal...with a injury

Love watching him play.

He was amazing

Solanke £19m+1

= Thiago

Our owners and Edward's are amazing at doing the right thing for the club .

Fantastic

Balinkay
17th October 2020, 10:42 PM
He was amazing

Solanke £19m+1

= Thiago

Our owners and Edward's are amazing at doing the right thing for the club .

Fantastic

Is it though? Is it really? :D I love moneyball as much as the next guy, but that's stretching it a bit.

RedNoodle
17th October 2020, 10:55 PM
A midfield of Henderson, Thiago and Milner, with Fabinho alongside Matip in defence.

Insidious
17th October 2020, 11:37 PM
Really hope we get off to a good start and win this.

The schedule is -

Ajax
Midtjylland
Atalanta
Atalanta
Ajax
Midtjylland

On paper (no complacency!) Midtjylland should be the side in the group that the rest aim to take 6 points from. A win against Ajax on Wednesday followed by another against Midtjylland would give us a cushion going into the tricky Atalanta games and having the "easiest" team as the sixth match is useful should we end up needing to win that one to qualify (hope not!) or will offer a rotation opportunity.

Ajax are no mugs so 3 points on Wednesday to set up an opportunity to get into the groove of this group would be massive.

CCTV
18th October 2020, 02:23 AM
......Alisson/Adrian
TAA Gomez Matip Robbo
.......Hendo Fabinho
Mane Firmino Jota
....Salah

Subs:
Kelleher/Adrian, R.Williams, Milner, Gini, Jones, Minamino, Origi.

reddownunder
18th October 2020, 02:30 AM
Adrian
Trent Matip Gomez Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Mane Jota

dicko1969
18th October 2020, 03:03 AM
Really hope we get off to a good start and win this.

The schedule is -

Ajax
Midtjylland
Atalanta
Atalanta
Ajax
Midtjylland

On paper (no complacency!) Midtjylland should be the side in the group that the rest aim to take 6 points from. A win against Ajax on Wednesday followed by another against Midtjylland would give us a cushion going into the tricky Atalanta games and having the "easiest" team as the sixth match is useful should we end up needing to win that one to qualify (hope not!) or will offer a rotation opportunity.

Ajax are no mugs so 3 points on Wednesday to set up an opportunity to get into the groove of this group would be massive.

Going to be goals
Especially in atalanta games.

Good to be playing some different clubs.

Have we ever played Ajax in the European cup?

I'm thinking under Shankly ? When Cruyff whipped our butts in the 70s ? Or was that cup winners cup or uefa cup ?

Insidious
18th October 2020, 12:08 PM
Have we ever played Ajax in the European cup?

1966 is all I can find anything on.

They lost their last game 1-0 and they play Heerenveen today, so we can hopefully get some picture of where they are at.

They've scored 6 goals in their 4 games thus far so they aren't rampant as of yet this season.

skyebo
18th October 2020, 12:15 PM
1966 is all I can find anything on.

They lost their last game 1-0 and they play Heerenveen today, so we can hopefully get some picture of where they are at.

They've scored 6 goals in their 4 games thus far so they aren't rampant as of yet this season.

Yeah, we got a hammering at Ajax 5-1 and drew 2-2 in the return leg. Cruyff and co were starting to make their way in the game at that time.

Balinkay
18th October 2020, 12:15 PM
We've not played them in any competitive game since then, Sid.

Insidious
18th October 2020, 12:22 PM
We've not played them in any competitive game since then, Sid.

A bit mad really, considering the whole traditional European Giants thing.

Comfortable win would be the absolute ticket right now - bonuses for clean sheet and Firmino goal!

skyebo
18th October 2020, 12:29 PM
Luckily, their team of today isn't a patch on the 66 one, and we are better than our 66 team. They couldn't even hang on against Spurs at home when they should have gone through. I'll be very surprised if they cause us much trouble.

Steveo
18th October 2020, 12:36 PM
Unless they are as good as Villa... :D

skyebo
18th October 2020, 12:39 PM
Unless they are as good as Villa... :D

lol. The annoying thing about that was, it wasn't even a good team that thrashed us. They will still finish at the wrong end of the table imo.

Nineteenx
18th October 2020, 01:15 PM
......Alisson/Adrian
TAA Gomez Matip Robbo
.......Hendo Fabinho
Mane Firmino Jota
....Salah

Subs:
Kelleher/Adrian, R.Williams, Milner, Gini, Jones, Minamino, Origi.

100% no from me, WHY? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY move Matip, comfortably our best centre back after Virgil and by a distance, from the side of central defence in which he plays best to accomodate Gomez playing there when he hasn't ever reached matip's levels and in his last several games has been targeted by opposition teams as a weak weak point at RCB next to Trent and been found wanting badly, it's not fucking Championship manager, keep your best players in their best positions.

In Virgil's absence the thing that makes THE most sense and gives our defence better balance is having Matip at RCB next to Trent as he is our strongest defender and Gomez or Fabinho who are weaker between Matip and Robertson who is also far better, especially supported by Mane and Gini and now Thiago

Adrian

Trent Matip Fabinho Robertson

Wijnaldum Henderson Thiago

Salah Firmino Mane

Bobby plays all day every day for me, a lot of people hugely under estimate the incredible work he does that helps Mane and Mo be more free and score more and Bobby usually starts the league season fairly slowly and starts to find his best form from when the Champions league starts and through his involvement in it

faridtoxteth
18th October 2020, 02:49 PM
I kind of agree with you, but Fabinho is a very right sided player in my opinion. Has Matip ever played on the left side? , I can't remember.
Wouldn't suggest Billy Koumetio for the Ajax game of course, but maybe in some league games. One thing he can do better than anyone else is head incoming high balls out of the box. He is taller than VVD and even taller than Klopp himself. His main problem is his distribution and his game nous.

faridtoxteth
18th October 2020, 02:50 PM
BTW I completely agree with you about Bobby. I think some on here just don't understand the game or have never played it. All welcome on here which is right, but some peoples understanding is not great.

Kev0909
18th October 2020, 02:51 PM
BTW I completely agree with you about Bobby. I think some on here just don't understand the game or have never played it. All welcome on here which is right, but some peoples understanding is not great.

Or the fact he just use to be a lot better and been off form for ages.... and getting worse at his "game"

Nothing about understanding, I think even klopp is starting to see it.

I don't understand how people can't see that? compare his performances to how he did before.

He's gone from being a top player to decent, for whatever reason.

faridtoxteth
18th October 2020, 02:55 PM
He plays deeper now and we concede less goals.
I don't want to get into one of those long rambling arguments with you that takes over a whole thread, but why is understanding the game not relevant when discussing aspects of it?
Nothing personal mate btw.

Nineteenx
18th October 2020, 03:06 PM
I kind of agree with you, but Fabinho is a very right sided player in my opinion. Has Matip ever played on the left side? , I can't remember.
Wouldn't suggest Billy Koumetio for the Ajax game of course, but maybe in some league games. One thing he can do better than anyone else is head incoming high balls out of the box. He is taller than VVD and even taller than Klopp himself. His main problem is his distribution and his game nous.

Fab played at LCB in place of Virgil in the 0-0 with Bayern in our Champions League winning season

teesred
18th October 2020, 03:10 PM
He plays deeper now and we concede less goals.
I don't want to get into one of those long rambling arguments with you that takes over a whole thread, but why is understanding the game not relevant when discussing aspects of it?
Nothing personal mate btw.

We are conceding more goals now than we have for a while so that's not strictly true. Concede less goals than a few season ago yes but not in the last 2 I'd say.
Hes out of form, theres no getting away from that, that's why hes bring questioned at times. His work rate has never been up for debate but that should not mean you're a starter because you work hard. If he was in any other team with his scoring record n a side like ours over the last year questions would be asked by anyone.

faridtoxteth
18th October 2020, 03:13 PM
He scored two for Brasil. Plays a bit of a different role.
I feel this debate is just going round in circles. He's not an out and out striker.

Kev0909
18th October 2020, 03:20 PM
He scored two for Brasil. Plays a bit of a different role.
I feel this debate is just going round in circles. He's not an out and out striker.

yes, but simply running isn't enough, all our players work hard under klopp, granted some more than others.

He's not offering enough for me, his shooting has been pathetic at times, and a lot of games he just goes missing, I hope he gets back to his best, he even use to be more skillful

Maybe he needs a rest or something, but yeah no real viable options to replace him with.

I will say no more on the matter, as i'm bored of going on about him, but something isn't right

faridtoxteth
18th October 2020, 03:26 PM
I think Minamino is generally considered as his replacement. I like Minamino and he has scored this season, but I don't think he offers as much as Bobby overall.

CCTV
18th October 2020, 06:39 PM
100% no from me, WHY? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY move Matip, comfortably our best centre back after Virgil and by a distance, from the side of central defence in which he plays best to accomodate Gomez playing there when he hasn't ever reached matip's levels and in his last several games has been targeted by opposition teams as a weak weak point at RCB next to Trent and been found wanting badly, it's not fucking Championship manager, keep your best players in their best positions.

In Virgil's absence the thing that makes THE most sense and gives our defence better balance is having Matip at RCB next to Trent as he is our strongest defender and Gomez or Fabinho who are weaker between Matip and Robertson who is also far better, especially supported by Mane and Gini and now Thiago

Adrian

Trent Matip Fabinho Robertson

Wijnaldum Henderson Thiago

Salah Firmino Mane

Bobby plays all day every day for me, a lot of people hugely under estimate the incredible work he does that helps Mane and Mo be more free and score more and Bobby usually starts the league season fairly slowly and starts to find his best form from when the Champions league starts and through his involvement in it

Why wouldnt you out your best header at LCB !!

In your 433 Gini hasn't been upto the task of Rcm on a fair few occasions. He has been swapped with Milner on a few occasions where Milner started lcm.
So in your 433 setup I'd play Matip at LCB and Milner at rcm, seeing as you've put fabinho into the back 4 and hendon at 6. Gini lcm where the task is easier.

Kev0909
19th October 2020, 03:21 PM
Adrian

Trent Gomez Fabinho Robertson

Wijnaldum Henderson Thiago/Keita is back if thiago is injured I think, may be to soon though.

Salah Milner(works hard init can support the other 2) Mane

probably Milner will play if that's the case, and firmino up top obviously if i'm being serious, or maybe even jones? but in CL klopp seems to like playing milner

Nineteenx
19th October 2020, 04:06 PM
Why wouldnt you out your best header at LCB!.

You're not making any sense to me, why move Matip from RCB when he plays his best there, it's the side of our defence teams have all worked a lot at exploiting in his absence, with some success i might add and in some games part of that has been having their forward always pulling onto Gomez to win headers to build from there, again with some success i might add

Wherever our weakest CB header of the ball is will be a point teams try to attack with longer balls, in terms of opposition players sometimes running off the back of our full backs, midfielders and our forward tracking back to try and take advantage of any headers won, our left side is far better protected and assured, so leaving Matip in his best position makes absolutely perfect sense

Insidious
20th October 2020, 07:22 PM
Klopp had a go at Carragher in the press conference, saying there's a reason why people like him have a job they do and not the job that they (coaches/Klopp) have.

Get in. Carra is such a Sky shill these days.

Kev0909
20th October 2020, 07:26 PM
Klopp had a go at Carragher in the press conference, saying there's a reason why people like him have a job they do and not the job that they (coaches/Klopp) have.

I've pointed this out before, I didn't get a nice reception at the time frankly he needs to shut up and stop stating the obvious too, who's he helping?

not us.

he'd be worse than frank as a manager

Steveo
20th October 2020, 07:53 PM

I have said that so many times and been lambasted for suggesting such about a Liverpool legend. Did a good job in a red shirt ( overrated massively due to being Scouse ) but was always ALWAYS a bit of a snide. Might have studied the game all he likes but he is largely clueless. Very touchy - not likeable at all - goes well with G Neville.

So glad Klopp has put him in his place.

Just one thing though... erm...he happens to be right...the truth probably hurting Jurgen a little.. Doh...!

Agree with Kev too - Though it is true - the twat works for Sky - IF he loves this club he needs to button it.

ianlfc
20th October 2020, 08:02 PM
Jurgen was very cagey during the press conference and Gini was straight in getting at both fouls. The players are not happy at all and Jurgen said you get injuries in football but not like that.
Fucking raging comes to mind.

Balinkay
20th October 2020, 08:06 PM

What has he said?

I generally quite like Carra the pundit.

Steveo
20th October 2020, 08:18 PM
What has he said?

I generally quite like Carra the pundit.

He isn’t the worst pundit to be fair... I just don’t like him so I am biased. Described him as a cart horse when he was playing for us.

From the Mirror:
Speaking ahead of his side's Champions League match against Ajax on Wednesday, however, Klopp appeared to take umbrage with Carragher's words.

"It's hard to have four world-class centre-halves. If anyone wants to tell us we made a mistake, I think Carragher mentioned already.

"There are a few reasons why they don't do this job..."

Ooh la la...:D

Nineteenx
20th October 2020, 09:17 PM
Virgil's been very important at defensive and attacking set pieces and headed clearances from attempted long balls, especially in Matip's absence, i'm gutted for Virgil and hope he makes the best possible recovery, not rushing any of it, but taking all the best advice and working incredibly hard doing the right things when it is the right time to do them.

Here's the thing though, Virgil had very little defending to do at all last season aside from those things mentioned, virtually every side we played set up to stop us and try to create a transition to attack our right side, in the 20 odd game run when Fab was out we had numerous games in which the press and counter press from our forwards, midfield and full back was so good we restricted the opposition to only 1 or 2 chances, no chances at all in 2 or 3 games and most sides never got a look at our defence or were allowed to work transitions to get at our CBs and engage them into being required to do 'real defending'

Yes it's a blow, but we have Matip fit who's very strong in the air and dominant and is actually better than Virgil at stepping forward into midfield to make crucial tackles when our press would otherwise be broken, so we're really 'as you were', one dominant commanding CB the other 2 to choose from weaker.

Through the development and evolution of the team Virgil was far more vital to our aspirations in his first season and a half and far far more frequently required to show his class, all his greatests strengths and attributes that make him a top class CB than he had to last season

I though his couple of uncharacteristic errors last season were largely the result of the rest of the team doing their jobs so damned well that he'd spent the vast majority of most games not having any real defending to do

teesred
20th October 2020, 09:47 PM

Agree. I love the guy but he trys too hard to be impartial in incidents like Saturdays. Just condemn the little mackem twat, but instead he says "I'm going to defend Pickford here....."
I stopped listening after that.

teesred
20th October 2020, 09:54 PM
Jurgen was very cagey during the press conference and Gini was straight in getting at both fouls. The players are not happy at all and Jurgen said you get injuries in football but not like that.
Fucking raging comes to mind.

Makes you think that what Crimson is saying could hold weight. Maybe the FA have stitched us up over #bigpicturegate.

teesred
20th October 2020, 09:57 PM
Virgil's been very important at defensive and attacking set pieces and headed clearances from attempted long balls, especially in Matip's absence, i'm gutted for Virgil and hope he makes the best possible recovery, not rushing any of it, but taking all the best advice and working incredibly hard doing the right things when it is the right time to do them.

Here's the thing though, Virgil had very little defending to do at all last season aside from those things mentioned, virtually every side we played set up to stop us and try to create a transition to attack our right side, in the 20 odd game run when Fab was out we had numerous games in which the press and counter press from our forwards, midfield and full back was so good we restricted the opposition to only 1 or 2 chances, no chances at all in 2 or 3 games and most sides never got a look at our defence or were allowed to work transitions to get at our CBs and engage them into being required to do 'real defending'

Yes it's a blow, but we have Matip fit who's very strong in the air and dominant and is actually better than Virgil at stepping forward into midfield to make crucial tackles when our press would otherwise be broken, so we're really 'as you were', one dominant commanding CB the other 2 to choose from weaker.

Through the development and evolution of the team Virgil was far more vital to our aspirations in his first season and a half and far far more frequently required to show his class, all his greatests strengths and attributes that make him a top class CB than he had to last season

I though his couple of uncharacteristic errors last season were largely the result of the rest of the team doing their jobs so damned well that he'd spent the vast majority of most games not having any real defending to do

Is that not just a little bit revisionist? Let's not play down how integral he is. We'd be potless if he hadn't signed for us and Matip whilst being a good defender is a world away from Van Dijk and was part of a side that shipped goals like there was no tomorrow. He looks good alongside Virgil. Nowhere near as good without.

skyebo
20th October 2020, 10:13 PM
Is that not just a little bit revisionist? Let's not play down how integral he is. We'd be potless if he hadn't signed for us and Matip whilst being a good defender is a world away from Van Dijk and was part of a side that shipped goals like there was no tomorrow. He looks good alongside Virgil. Nowhere near as good without.

Spot on. As i said previously, we'll all see how good Matip is over the next six months or so, now he hasn't got Van Dijk helping him out. But apparently, he hasn't made it for tomorrows game according to the echo. He got injured in the derby. He wants binning, the guy's never fit. Thiago hasn't gone either ( same source )

Nineteenx
20th October 2020, 10:19 PM

It's not revisionist, Matip is a top class CB who outshone big Virg in a few of the Champions League games at the sharp end when we won it, he isn't as good, but very few are, but we defend, press and counter press as a team and had a huge evolution in how well we do that last season, so yes Virgil is a big miss, but it is nothing like the unmitigated disaster people are making it out to be that it would have been in his first season and a half

I can't honestly a remember a single absolutely crucial one v one or 2 v 1 as in that Spurs game that Virgil had to make to save our skins last season, there were 15-20 glorious examples of him having to make in his first 18 months, that's no slight on Virgil, can't make them if the team defending press and counter press is stopping them from happening

Nineteenx
20th October 2020, 10:24 PM
Spot on. As i said previously, we'll all see how good Matip is over the next six months or so, now he hasn't got Van Dijk helping him out. But apparently, he hasn't made it for tomorrows game according to the echo. He got injured in the derby. He wants binning, the guy's never fit. Thiago hasn't gone either ( same source )

Just because a player has injury problems doesn't make them a bad player, Matip's recurring injury issues are disappointing and as he's head and shoulders our best CB after Virgil when fit it was pretty daft to go into the season with just VVD, Matip and Gomez with Fab as back up

Nineteenx
20th October 2020, 10:31 PM
Adrian

Trent Fabinho Gomez Robertson

Wijnaldum Henderson Keita

Salah Firmino Mane

If the players not making the trip is accurate, play Keita LCM or not at all, same with Jones, LCM or LFWD or not at all

Might see this midfield from Jurgen i reckon

Minamino Henderson Wijnaldum

I'd be down with that

skyebo
20th October 2020, 10:36 PM
Just because a player has injury problems doesn't make them a bad player, Matip's recurring injury issues are disappointing and as he's head and shoulders our best CB after Virgil when fit it was pretty daft to go into the season with just VVD, Matip and Gomez with Fab as back up

No, i know it doesn't, but as we have won many games when he's been out, his loss hasn't been so great.We have yet to find out how we'll cope without Van Dijk for 6 months at best. For me, there isn't much to choose between him and Gomez, though the latter can play full back too. I think Fabinho is better than both, and another one who can play various roles.

skyebo
20th October 2020, 10:39 PM
Adrian

Wijnaldum Henderson Keita

Salah Firmino Mane

If the players not making the trip is accurate, play Keita LCM or not at all, same with Jones, LCM or LFWD or not at all

Might see this midfield from Jurgen i reckon

Minamino Henderson Wijnaldum

I'd be down with that

Melissa Reddy on Twitter was the source, no idea who she is or whether she's a reliable source or not.

redebreck
20th October 2020, 10:40 PM
Looks like the Fabulous one, and Joe Gomez, as our centre- back pairing against Ajax.
Interesting.

Nineteenx
20th October 2020, 10:50 PM
No, i know it doesn't, but as we have won many games when he's been out, his loss hasn't been so great.We have yet to find out how we'll cope without Van Dijk for 6 months at best. For me, there isn't much to choose between him and Gomez, though the latter can play full back too. I think Fabinho is better than both, and another one who can play various roles.

Matip's miles better than Gomez and better than Fabinho, but i rate Fabinho a lot better than Gomez at CB too, in the 2 biggest games he had to play there he partnered Matip in the 0-0 v Bayern and Virgil in the recent game v Chelsea

What i find completely bemusing is when he plays at CB, like Matip he seems very astute and acutely aware of any opposition player between the lines that might be open for a counter should they get a rare opportunity to attempt a transition, but when he plays at CM he wanders, ball watches, goes ahead of that player and leaves him wide open for a counter 3 or 4 times every game, it's mind boggling and incredibly frustrating, why can he do it at CB but not at CM? I rate Fabinho higher at CB than CM for that reason

skyebo
20th October 2020, 10:54 PM
Matip's miles better than Gomez and better than Fabinho, but i rate Fabinho a lot better than Gomez at CB too, in the 2 biggest games he had to play there he partnered Matip in the 0-0 v Bayern and Virgil in the recent game v Chelsea

What i find completely bemusing is when he plays at CB, like Matip he seems very astute and acutely aware of any opposition player between the lines that might be open for a counter should they get a rare opportunity to attempt a transition, but when he plays at CM he wanders, ball watches, goes ahead of that player and leaves him wide open for a counter 3 or 4 times every game, it's mind boggling and incredibly frustrating, why can he do it at CB but not at CM? I rate Fabinho higher at CB than CM for that reason

Fair enough that's your opinion.

Nineteenx
20th October 2020, 11:22 PM
Fair enough that's your opinion.

I don't dislike Fab in the slightest, if he hadn't come here Hendo wouldn't have been pushed even harder than he continually pushes himself to raise his game to the levels he has, now Fabinho has to do the same, that's how it's supposed to work, starting with him correcting his issue with letting our press get broken and his limited distribution

Our best with Hendo at CM was miles better than with Fabinho there, a huge evolution in our press, counter press and distribution from CM, we've gone backwards from our new best ever since Jurgen brought Fab back in there, he needs to earn it and make it better to come back in

faridtoxteth
21st October 2020, 01:09 AM
But centre back is a more clearly defined role. Midfield positions are more ambiguous, even a defensive mid is expected to get forward press, try to create. As a centre back even Virgil rarely goes forward during open play, although he can do it brilliantly, as that goal he scored for Celtic showed.
I am happy with Fab in either position. I think as a sitting defender in front of the centre backs it is one of the hardest positions to play, especially in our system which is probably the highest defensive line in the league.

Insidious
21st October 2020, 08:21 AM
Melissa Reddy on Twitter was the source, no idea who she is or whether she's a reliable source or not.

Melissa is generally pretty reliable.

Balinkay
21st October 2020, 09:21 AM
Yes. Up there (almost) with the likes of Gorst and Pearce (back in the day, he's a bit more hit-and-miss since he moved to the Athletic).

skyebo
21st October 2020, 12:19 PM
Melissa is generally pretty reliable.

Thanks Sid.

Steveo
21st October 2020, 01:26 PM
I forgot about Tadic.. Very tricky customer on his day.. We will need to be on it to keep him quiet.

It will be a tough one in Amsterdam tonight. Need Mane and Salah to scare them early.

I wouldn't be nearly so nervous were Thiago fit..

Kev0909
21st October 2020, 02:30 PM
Anyone else nervous as fuck? hopefully ajax will be shit

LEGS
21st October 2020, 02:39 PM

Nah not at all im looking forward to it a proper game.

I fancy us to get something over there this is our time to show we are still the team to beat.

Im as gutted about losing Van Djik as every supporter now its time to back the squad.

Balinkay
21st October 2020, 02:43 PM
Nah not at all im looking forward to it a proper game.

This really. We're better. We should win.

Insidious
21st October 2020, 03:05 PM

I think the "Brexit midfield" starts and we out-work the fear.

Steveo
21st October 2020, 03:06 PM
This really. We're better. We should win.

Yep hoping for a Munich rather than a Madrid, Paris, Belgrade, Naples or Barcelona..

Need to stop that result looking like the odd man out.

Insidious
21st October 2020, 03:22 PM
Just another note on the centre-back emergency options, didn't Henderson play there against Monterrey in the CWC?

LEGS
21st October 2020, 03:23 PM
Just another note on the centre-back emergency options, didn't Henderson play there against Monterrey in the CWC?

He did lets hope it doesnt come to that Sid as he is vital to the midfield.

Nineteenx
21st October 2020, 04:34 PM
I'm not at all worried about this game or the rest of the season, if we make sure our press and counter press and team defending is a good as it can be and work hard to improve it further we're an incredibly difficult side for even the very best teams to create against and get opportunities to have a go at our CBs

We'll be absolutely fine, as relentless a winning machine as ever as long as Jurgen has learnt the lessons about the Gini Fabinho plus one other that isn't Hendo of Thiago midfield that got found out in the 2018-2019 season

On Fabinho, i really didn't see where he'd get games at CM, i've only seen it once and it needs some fine tuning, but the midfield v the bitters looked very good, the creativity drive and pressing and counter pressing of Hendo and Thiago makes Fab in the centre work for numerous reasons, the extra creativity and more frequent switches makes it a lot harder for teams to teams to set up or get set to try and target Fab or work transitions off him, i'd still never play him at CM without both those players with him

Nineteenx
21st October 2020, 07:02 PM
Team confirmed:

Adrian

Milner Wijnaldum Jones

Salah Firmino Mane

Come on come on come ON Liverpool, come the fucking FUCK on Liverpool, let's work harder than ever, support our defence and offer them as much protection as we possible can and make sure our press and counter press is as good as it can possibly be despite Jurgen making a bizarre midfield selection. Let's get the win here tonight and a first vital 3 points in this season's Champions League group stage

Nineteenx
21st October 2020, 07:07 PM
I hope that line up showing Jones out of the postion he has been developed through the academy in and played almost all of his competitive football in stuck in at RCM is NOT how we're lining up

miller0863
21st October 2020, 07:07 PM
Sorry what’s that midfield now???

Nineteenx
21st October 2020, 07:09 PM
Sorry what’s that midfield now???

A weird one

faridtoxteth
21st October 2020, 07:12 PM
Wow. Is Jordan maybe not quite fit enough yet?
Well people were bigging up Curtis Jones at the start of the season (me included) so let's see him step up now.

faridtoxteth
21st October 2020, 07:13 PM
What's the bench?

Balinkay
21st October 2020, 07:15 PM
Well people were bigging up Curtis Jones at the start of the season (me included) so let's see him step up now.

Defo not fit enough yet I'd say. May never be fit enough again, but I'd rather have him at 95% once a week than at 65% twice a week.

skyebo
21st October 2020, 07:16 PM

He's on the bench, so i can't see how he wouldn't be fit. He also played the whole game at Everton.

miller0863
21st October 2020, 07:17 PM
Missing the keeper, the best two CB’s and the best two midfielders.
Great.

ianlfc

I'm delighted he's getting his chance.

Nineteenx
What's the bench?

Kelleher, Jaros, Henderson, Minamino, Jota, Shaqiri, Origi, R. Williams, Cain, N. Williams

miller0863
21st October 2020, 07:18 PM
Who’s Jaros?

faridtoxteth
21st October 2020, 07:19 PM
Kelleher, Jaros, Henderson, Minamino, Jota, Shaqiri, Origi, R. Williams, Cain, N. Williams

Have we got two keepers on the bench?

justme
21st October 2020, 07:19 PM
Beat me to it Miller, was going to ask who is Jaros and what position does he play?

faridtoxteth
21st October 2020, 07:20 PM
Is Cain able at this level.

Nineteenx

I'm not overly optimistic if Jurgen's starting him at RCM as BT have illustrated, thought it was an absolutely inexplicably shit idea playing Jones and Wilson on completely the opposite flanks from those they had been developed playing right through the academy and played almost all their competitive football in for the cup game v Arsenal and thought both were shit as a result

faridtoxteth
Jaros is a young goalkeeper i think from east Block. (Don't quote me on that)

skyebo
21st October 2020, 07:21 PM
Beat me to it Miller, was going to ask who is Jaros and what position does he play?

Yes, a keeper from Czech Republic.

justme
21st October 2020, 07:23 PM
Yes, a keeper from Czech Republic.

Thanks so we are going to sub a goal keeper? :D i don't get 2 keepers on the bench?

faridtoxteth
21st October 2020, 07:24 PM
Maybe the thinking is have two keepers in goal if things start to go pear shaped.

skyebo
21st October 2020, 07:28 PM
Maybe the thinking is have two keepers in goal if things start to go pear shaped.

Haha, they should have tried that at Villa.

Nineteenx
21st October 2020, 07:38 PM
Haha, they should have tried that at Villa.

Should have tried not fielding a midfield v Villa that had been found out towards the end of the 2018-2019 season in the first place

Jurgen's losing it a little bit with some of his decisions and selections, Jones and Wilson both on their wrong flank for the entirety of the Arsenal cup game, tonight Gomez who had made our right side an absolutely liability at times back at RCB when he played LCB last time out and Fabinho RCB last time he played CB

If the plan moving forward is to play Matip RCB and Fabinho LCB fair enough, if it isn't Jurgen's really not going to help our situation by keep moving the CBs from one side to another, if Matip is fit for the weekend and Jurgen moves him to LCB to accomodate Gomez I will genuinely be thinking he's losing it a little

RedNoodle
21st October 2020, 07:40 PM
Thanks so we are going to sub a goal keeper? :D i don't get 2 keepers on the bench?

It's because we've still got a weak as p squad in certain positions, especially when you consider the fact of who we are, our financial might, and our recent successes.

skyebo
21st October 2020, 07:45 PM
It's because we've still got a weak as p squad in certain positions, especially when you consider the fact of who we are, our financial might, and our recent successes.

I doubt he would have got a look in had it been a league game, only allowing to name 7 subs.

southernboy
21st October 2020, 07:46 PM

I’m bricking it but that’s my normal state before pretty much any game. Our special problems at the back certainly aren’t helping my mood. Fingers crossed I’m worrying about nothing.

justme
21st October 2020, 07:51 PM

Like Klopp said its not easy keeping 4 outstanding defenders happy. though i think we should have signed someone in that position. and secondly its not the managers fault we lost Alisson to injury. what other world class keeper would come and sit on the bench all season?

RedNoodle
21st October 2020, 08:56 PM
Like Klopp said its not easy keeping 4 outstanding defenders happy. though i think we should have signed someone in that position. and secondly its not the managers fault we lost Alisson to injury. what other world class keeper would come and sit on the bench all season?

Nobody is saying that our backup players should be 'world beaters', but they definitely should be better than a lot of what we have in reserve given all the factors I keep mentioning. It all comes down to the fact that FSG want to do things on the cheap and won't spend money to make sure that we have the strength and depth that the nineteen times/current league champions and six times winners of Europe's premier club competition should have.

skyebo
21st October 2020, 09:13 PM
The last time we had a decent keeper and understudy was 2001 when Dudek and Kirkland signed within days of each other. The trouble there was, Kirkland was rarely fit.

justme
21st October 2020, 11:15 PM
Dudek was a terrible keeper IMO (apart from the great save in the champions league final) He was error prone.

RedNoodle
21st October 2020, 11:18 PM
Dudek was a terrible keeper IMO (apart from the great save in the champions league final) He was error prone.

We seem to either have very good or error prone keepers between the sticks. We've rarely had a keeper who has just been 'solid'.

justme
21st October 2020, 11:23 PM
From recollection of mine over the years. David James had all the ability in the world but was a clown and didnt seem to care when he made errors.Westerveld i actually rated for the most part.. Dudek was like Mignolet error prone. Reina was great until his last year and half where he forgot to save shots. We haven't really had a great keeper until Alisson.

skyebo
21st October 2020, 11:23 PM
We seem to either have very good or error prone keepers between the sticks. We've rarely had a keeper who has just been 'solid'.

Reina was, he got the golden glove 3 out of 4 seasons. Then Rodgers decides to replace him with Mignolet, and we've been trying to get a keeper worthy of the jersey ever since. Now we have one, he is out injured.

skyebo
21st October 2020, 11:25 PM
From recollection of mine over the years. David James had all the ability in the world but was a clown and didnt seem to care when he made errors.Westerveld i actually rated for the most part.. Dudek was like Mignolet error prone. Reina was great until his last year and half where he forgot to save shots. We haven't really had a great keeper until Alisson.

There was a reason they called him calamity james.

RedNoodle
21st October 2020, 11:28 PM
Reina was, he got the golden glove 3 out of 4 seasons. Then Rodgers decides to replace him with Mignolet, and we've been trying to get a keeper worthy of the jersey ever since. Now we have one, he is out injured.

Reina, other than the last part of his career with us (namely from the point when he started fluttering his eyelashes in Barcelona's direction) was in the very good category.

justme
21st October 2020, 11:29 PM

Yep, i still get annoyed when he claimed he had been up until 3 am playing computer games that's why he made mistakes in the game later in the day.
Stuff like that, I would have kicked him out of the club for that comment. It was the time of the spice boys. Not sure what really happened during that period. thankfully GH came in a got him out and several others.

Nineteenx
21st October 2020, 11:36 PM
Yep, i still get annoyed when he claimed he had been up until 3 am playing computer games that's why he made mistakes in the game later in the day.
Stuff like that, I would have kicked him out of the club for that comment. It was the time of the spice boys. Not sure what really happened during that period. thankfully GH came in a got him out and several others.

And GH preferred anyone to Carra at CB, even "Igor has revealed himself in the position of centre back" Biscan, and with good reason ;)

Steveo
21st October 2020, 11:38 PM

Yep - he looked like Doris Day.. :D

Boom boom

Insidious
21st October 2020, 11:40 PM

Reina did seem to be in decline. Think he still managed a 69% save percentage though even towards the end, with Mignolet coming in and offering 67% or so. Mignolet was younger so we probably were looking at that, though Reina had other tools in his locker to supplement shot stopping, such as catching a cross, being good with his feet and having a long throw on him.

Balinkay
22nd October 2020, 07:13 AM
Reina, other than the last part of his career with us (namely from the point when he started fluttering his eyelashes in Barcelona's direction) was in the very good category.

Reina was huge. In the end he decided that saving shots at his near post was for losers, but before that he was a top top keeper.

Steveo
22nd October 2020, 08:15 AM
Body fascism...

Balinkay
22nd October 2020, 09:59 AM
Body fascism...

Very good. :D

stevie harkness
22nd October 2020, 10:29 AM
Reina's decline coincided with his acting career and those allegedly racist homophobic commercials.

skyebo
22nd October 2020, 12:03 PM

What i meant to say was. There wasn't a big drop in quality when Kirkland came in. The gap between first choice and understudy is generally huge, as it is now. Apart from Laurel and Hardy, they were as bad as each other.