PDA

View Full Version : European super league? "European Premier League."

Kev0909
20th October 2020, 02:12 PM
BREAKING: According to SkyNews, Liverpool and Manchester United are reportedly in talks involving Europe's biggest football clubs joining a new FIFA-backed tournament called the European Premier League.

Steveo
20th October 2020, 02:13 PM
Would never have guessed..:D

European Premier League: Liverpool and Manchester United in talks for FIFA-backed tournament
A $6 billion (£4.6 billion) financing package is being drawn up to back the launch of a new European Premier League, Sky News reveals

As many as five English clubs could sign up to join it, with a provisional start date said to have been discussed as early as 2022.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12109174/european-premier-league-liverpool-and-manchester-united-in-talks-for-fifa-backed-tournament

Kev0909
20th October 2020, 02:18 PM
Yanks are at it again leave football alone, the gap is big enough this makes it worse

with var and more shit after shit, are they trying to kill the game or what

Steveo
20th October 2020, 02:47 PM
https://youtu.be/ETxmCCsMoD0

Surely NOBODY ever thought they really care about "the game"..? Remember it ISN'T their game. This is what I have been bleating on about for years. How can ANYONE fail to see the danger of having people owning the largest institutions in "the game" coming from a nation where "the game" is literally of no consequence..?

The idea of a European Super League was always around LONG before the Yanks rocked up - BUT it was always likely to be those more concerned with money than "the game" who would push for this..

The Arabs & the Russians already have the cash - they genuinely love "the game".. there are many other arenas they could have inserted their money into - they chose football because of the sport - NOT - to make a profit!!

This was always going to happen. Better get used to it.

Kev0909
20th October 2020, 02:48 PM
https://youtu.be/ETxmCCsMoD0

probably still have 20m netspend max :encouragement::encouragement::encouragement:

Milky milky milky

Milky milkyyyyyy

teesred
20th October 2020, 02:58 PM
So would it replace the CL or mean the top clubs leave their respective leagues?
Pure greed and nothing more fuelling this. Footballs been fucked for a while anyway but this would be the tin hat.

Steveo
20th October 2020, 03:00 PM
probably still have 20m netspend max :encouragement::encouragement::encouragement:

Milky milky milky

Milky milkyyyyyy

We will probably do very well out of it financially mate - but it isn't good for the game.

Mark Kleinman
@MarkKleinmanSky
City editor of Sky News, City AM columnist and Charlton Athletic fan. London Press Club Business Journalist of the Year 2011 and 2015.

EXCLUSIVE: The Wall Street bank JP Morgan is in talks to provide a debt package worth around $6bn (£4.6bn) to a new FIFA-backed European Premier League, which Liverpool and Manchester United - and clubs from Germany, Italy and Spain - are in talks to join.

Wall Street bank JP Morgan - no less... Who else..?

Kev0909
20th October 2020, 03:03 PM
We will probably do very well out of it financially mate - but it isn't good for the game.

Will we though, or will FSG-? ;) you think it's the same thing but it's not, unless they put it into the club/transfers

skyebo
20th October 2020, 03:05 PM
It's virtually a European league already with the CL. All it will do is give less successful teams the chance to win league titles, because i can't see them having 2 different competitions. They've been talking about this for years and it's still not happened so it's far from guaranteed that it will get the go ahead.

Steveo
20th October 2020, 03:08 PM
Will we though, or will FSG-? ;) you think it's the same thing but it's not, unless they put it into the club/transfers

Plenty more cash flow to be found on the back of brand Liverpool FC - people forget NESV were fairly small time players - What were they - Red Sox and Roush Fenway Racing ...?

They have quadrupled their status since buying us. Getting into this game at just the right time has been MASSIVE for them.

Henry might be many things but an idiot he ain't. The next part of the plan is to bring in investment for a stake.. Redball will be coming in. It would be interesting to see just how much of an increase in actual wealth FSG have made in the last 10 years. I would guess they know precisely how and when to exit. another 10 years might be too long but very possible.

The game has been going this way since the birth of The Premier League...As fans - quite frankly - as long as the manager is backed - we should be fine.

Balinkay
20th October 2020, 04:04 PM
We were always going to be among the biggest supporters of the idea.

Doesn't make it less cuntish. Fuck us. Or at least the ownership.

skyebo
20th October 2020, 04:10 PM
We were always going to be among the biggest supporters of the idea.

Doesn't make it less cuntish. Fuck us. Or at least the ownership.

It isn't about the Football or the fans these days, it's how much money can be made. The game that alot of us were brought up on went when Sky and the CL came in.

dicko1969
20th October 2020, 04:56 PM
Fantastic idea
Better than v Northampton in the league cup.

PSG OM BAYERN DORTMUND PORTO JUVE INTER AC MILAN BARCELONA REAL etc

Each season ... that would be fantastic.

I suppose a league of 18 with only one game .

Top 4 playing a semi / final.

Scrap the league cup.
Scrap fa cup replays

Happy day$

LEGS
20th October 2020, 05:15 PM
Fantastic idea

Scrap the league cup.
Scrap fa cup replays

Happy day$

I think people would get bored quickly though.

I mean we could quite easily be a team that finishes 10-14th in other words the Everton of the European league !

I am going to guess there is no relegation as where do you go if you finish bottom ???

I dont think it will happen just be the top dogs putting a marker down to not be bossed about.

Crimson Dynasty
20th October 2020, 06:44 PM
Prior to this past weekend I would have been right along with other folks saying, fuck this shite.

But after the gobshite-ey way the FA treated us this past weekend with their seemingly doing everything but bend over backwards to try and had that derby match to the BS on a silver platter and then doing nothing as that shower of cunts virtually torpedoed our season by taking out one of our best players,.......Fuck 'em.

Fuck them all, and let them sweat the likelihood of their biggest money-earners in the league breaking away to form another league.

There was some talk on the Twatternets that a large reason why the FA took no retrospective action on Pickford for his career-ending boneheaded challenge on Virgil, was because they wanted to teach us a lesson after all that Project Big Picture stuff and scare, and our seeming to back it.

If there's any truth to that then honestly I have no sympathy for any of them.

They seem ready to see anyone but us win the title this season and almost want to hand it to any of the likes of City or the Scum or even the BS if they can, and if you truly believe all that VAR shennanigans we saw last weakened was the last of that type of shite we'll see from them, then you've got another thing coming..

Fuck 'em!

(P.S. for the record, I don't think it's going to happen at all.
This kind of talk of a European breakaway "Super-League" of sort always comes around every other odd couple of years and scares a few folks as the big clubs give it some consideration (mostly to pull concessions from their own home leagues for better TV deals and that sort of thing)....right before quietly dying and going away again for a bit. This year though, the FA at least has real reason to sweat it after all the Project Big Picture talk as well as the impact of the pandemic, and sweat it they should.)

skyebo
20th October 2020, 06:50 PM
Fantastic idea

Scrap the league cup.
Scrap fa cup replays

Happy day$

If there is a breakaway, i doubt those clubs would be allowed or even interested in the league and fa cups, they show little regard for them as it is.

jozza800
20th October 2020, 08:18 PM
I won't be following the club if this sort of bastardisation of the game goes ahead. A closed shop type competition is an awful idea.

Nineteenx
20th October 2020, 11:01 PM
I'm up for it, anyone who thinks the Prem and FA don't have a filthy bias is kidding themselves, they're still in their Whiskey face induced mind state of "When UTD do well, we all do well" Scudamore came out and said as much evena as recntly as around the time as our first leg semi defeat to Barca, that's why they're fucking with VAR trying to normalise it giving plain wrong decisions as i called it in the final quarter of last season, as VAR being used properly takes away their ability to make results go as they want for who they want

miller0863
20th October 2020, 11:06 PM
If it happens I’m out.
I’ll have my incredible LFC memories but the game will have totally gone at that level.

I’ll probably just support Southport, the utterly dogshite yet “real” local team where I have lived for 30 plus years.

skyebo
20th October 2020, 11:17 PM
If it happens I’m out.
I’ll have my incredible LFC memories but the game will have totally gone at that level.

I’ll probably just support Southport, the utterly dogshite yet “real” local team where I have lived for 30 plus years.

At least at that level, you know they are playing the game because they love it, not because of the money. I'm surprised you haven't been already, living so close. Do they still play at Haig Avenue ?

miller0863
20th October 2020, 11:38 PM
They do, been going off and on since the late 70’s. It’s real football where the results actually matter to the players at least as much as the supporters, if not more.

skyebo
20th October 2020, 11:40 PM
They do, been going off and on since the late 70’s. It’s real football where the results actually matter to the players at least as much as the supporters, if not more.

I agree.

Balinkay
21st October 2020, 07:48 AM
If it happens I’m out.

Yeah, I'm thinking something similar. I don't think I'll ever really be a fan of another club, but I will want to watch some footie and will inevitably develop at least a bit of a preference.

shminkyred
21st October 2020, 02:17 PM
Prior to this past weekend I would have been right along with other folks saying, fuck this shite.

But after the gobshite-ey way the FA treated us this past weekend with their seemingly doing everything but bend over backwards to try and had that derby match to the BS on a silver platter and then doing nothing as that shower of cunts virtually torpedoed our season by taking out one of our best players,.......Fuck 'em.

Fuck them all, and let them sweat the likelihood of their biggest money-earners in the league breaking away to form another league.

There was some talk on the Twatternets that a large reason why the FA took no retrospective action on Pickford for his career-ending boneheaded challenge on Virgil, was because they wanted to teach us a lesson after all that Project Big Picture stuff and scare, and our seeming to back it.

If there's any truth to that then honestly I have no sympathy for any of them.

They seem ready to see anyone but us win the title this season and almost want to hand it to any of the likes of City or the Scum or even the BS if they can, and if you truly believe all that VAR shennanigans we saw last weakened was the last of that type of shite we'll see from them, then you've got another thing coming..

Fuck 'em!

(P.S. for the record, I don't think it's going to happen at all.
This kind of talk of a European breakaway "Super-League" of sort always comes around every other odd couple of years and scares a few folks as the big clubs give it some consideration (mostly to pull concessions from their own home leagues for better TV deals and that sort of thing)....right before quietly dying and going away again for a bit. This year though, the FA at least has real reason to sweat it after all the Project Big Picture talk as well as the impact of the pandemic, and sweat it they should.)

Wow....Chill Winston.....lol

redebreck
21st October 2020, 04:38 PM
If it happens I’m out.

Are South Liverpool still in existence - I used to watch them MANY years ago?

skyebo
21st October 2020, 05:08 PM
Are South Liverpool still in existence - I used to watch them MANY years ago?

Yes, West Cheshire Division 1.

Steveo
21st October 2020, 05:41 PM
I once played with the under 10's when staying at my grandparents - somewhere near Mossley Hill.. Not absolutely sure - but think it was was that South Liverpool football club...

Didn't matter how many times they were told my name - when they wanted the ball it was always - Over here Cocherknee-lad. Well done Cocherknee-lad. and not bad for a Cocherknee-lad...

miller0863
21st October 2020, 07:00 PM
Went to watch them once when I still lived in Liverpool, around 1970 I think. White shirts and black shorts

redebreck
21st October 2020, 08:13 PM
I would have watched them some time between 1964 and 1966, I think.
I was eleven in 1964. I would have caught the bus with a school friend to watch the games. Does anyone happen to know where their ground was at that time? I used to live in L13 Stoneycroft until I moved to South Wales in 1968.
Can you imagine youngsters doing that these days? Travel miles (?) by bus at age 11 to 13?

skyebo
21st October 2020, 09:38 PM
I would have watched them some time between 1964 and 1966, I think.
I was eleven in 1964. I would have caught the bus with a school friend to watch the games. Does anyone happen to know where their ground was at that time? I used to live in L13 Stoneycroft until I moved to South Wales in 1968.
Can you imagine youngsters doing that these days? Travel miles (?) by bus at age 11 to 13?

Holly Park in Garston, they moved to a new home in 2006.

miller0863
21st October 2020, 10:01 PM
Ahh good old google ..