PDA

View Full Version : January 2021

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

miller0863
21st November 2020, 11:01 AM
Well he’s been and gone and said it so... let the rumour mill go straight into 6th gear missing out 2-5 entirely

“Jurgen Klopp confirms Liverpool will aim to make signings in the January transfer window, despite reports to the contrary:

"I don't know what we can do in January. That we look for solutions and the transfer market - that is clear." #LFC

reddownunder
21st November 2020, 11:24 AM
A centre back is a must. Finding a long term partner for Van Dijk will be difficult though

miller0863
21st November 2020, 11:31 AM
Think they must be torn between a Koulibaly or an Upamecano type signing.

City would just sign both, as they did yet again in the summer. Greatest coach in the World that Pep bloke.

The thought of such a quality midfielder as Thiago starting fills me with confidence, another one of that level in the summer would be great too, as Wij will be outta here.

ianlfc
21st November 2020, 11:45 AM
Sergio Ramos

teesred
21st November 2020, 12:06 PM
Varane. Koulibaly also (as back up/cover).

Balinkay
21st November 2020, 01:56 PM
I don't love Varane tbh.

Not sure who I'd want. Maybe that lad from Inter Milan Škriniar. He's 25, so a good age, won't cost all the money in the world... Skrtel will convince him to come.

Steveo
21st November 2020, 02:12 PM
Sergio Ramos

Would be a great bit of business if we could.

Balinkay
21st November 2020, 02:15 PM
Would be a great bit of business if we could.

Read he's agreed a new two-year contract with a wage increase (!) to something like 450-500k. No idea how reliable though.

Steveo
21st November 2020, 02:19 PM
Read he's agreed a new two-year contract with a wage increase (!) to something like 450-500k. No idea how reliable though.

Oh well if he is offered that type of cash forget it. Love him or loathe him - he is a beast of a player. Salary would be crazy though.

teesred
21st November 2020, 02:35 PM
He'll never leave Real whilst hes any good. Like Thiago Silva he'll come to the premier league once his best days are behind him and say "its always been my dream". Phhhhhhttt.

I was jesting with Varane Bali.
It will very likely be the young lad from Schalke, Kabak. I've not seen much of Upemacano but hes highly rated.
I said the other week Dunk would be a great signing but he'd cost as much as anyone else.

Balinkay
21st November 2020, 02:40 PM
Oh well if he is offered that type of cash forget it. Love him or loathe him - he is a beast of a player. Salary would be crazy though.

I don't really rate him too highly tbf. Maybe just biased though.

Think's definitely been world class (and by that I mean amon the ten best in his position) for a considerable part of his career and he's gotten better with age (up to a point I guess). Would be a really nice signing from a purely footballing perspective. Marketing would be good too.

Huge cunt though. In a bad way.

RedNoodle
21st November 2020, 02:42 PM
I don't really rate him too highly tbf. Maybe just biased though.

Think's definitely been world class (and by that I mean amon the ten best in his position) for a considerable part of his career and he's gotten better with age (up to a point I guess). Would be a really nice signing from a purely footballing perspective. Marketing would be good too.

Huge cunt though. In a bad way.

Is there a 'good way' to be/have one of those?

Steveo
21st November 2020, 02:49 PM
Absolutely when they play for your side Noods.

Think Suarez. They say every top team needs one.. A cunt that is.

RedNoodle
21st November 2020, 02:55 PM

Hmmm. I suppose it depends on where you think someone crosses over from being 'crafty' to actually being 'a massive ****'.

skyebo
21st November 2020, 02:58 PM
You can go back to hating him again, not a chance of him signing for us.

Steveo
21st November 2020, 03:18 PM
Hmmm. I suppose it depends on where you think someone crosses over from being 'crafty' to actually being 'a massive ****'.

We have had our own beasts..

https://youtu.be/XVvT9VMrJyA

And No I don’t advocate some of those tackles.. pure filth

Balinkay
21st November 2020, 04:30 PM

Have to broadly agree there. Suarez was too much for me, even if he played for us, but something like that, yeah. Maybe Masch? The way he left was suboptimal though.

skyebo
21st November 2020, 04:59 PM
Have to broadly agree there. Suarez was too much for me, even if he played for us, but something like that, yeah. Maybe Masch? The way he left was suboptimal though.

I would never have guessed that Mascherano wanted to leave, he played one of his best games against Arsenal. Unlike Torres, who was a disgrace after he said he wanted to go.

stevie harkness
21st November 2020, 05:10 PM
Mbappe, Sancho and a new contract for Nat Phillips

RedNoodle
21st November 2020, 05:15 PM
Mbappe, Sancho and a new contract for Nat Phillips

I'm not sure our budget will stretch to that last one.

Balinkay
21st November 2020, 05:27 PM
I would never have guessed that Mascherano wanted to leave, he played one of his best games against Arsenal. Unlike Torres, who was a disgrace after he said he wanted to go.

Think he forced his way out iirc and made some unsavoury comments. Not sure though - it's been a while and back then I actually had a social life and used to spend a lot less time perusing the webs! :D

faridtoxteth
21st November 2020, 05:28 PM
Upemecano fits the bill very well. He is very young I think and looks like a really immense future player.
Sergio Ramos...please no. Premier league would be a shock for him, he would be wound up by opposition players week in week out, probably record red cards etc and how would players like Mo Salah feel about him.

RedNoodle
21st November 2020, 05:29 PM
Think he forced his way out iirc and made some unsavoury comments. Not sure though - it's been a while and back then I actually had a social life and used to spend a lot less time perusing the webs! :D

Messi opened his cake hole and started yapping about us trying to hold onto Mascherano being like slavery.

skyebo
21st November 2020, 05:38 PM
Upemecano fits the bill very well. He is very young I think and looks like a really immense future player.
Sergio Ramos...please no. Premier league would be a shock for him, he would be wound up by opposition players week in week out, probably record red cards etc and how would players like Mo Salah feel about him.

Salah shouldn't have feelings either way about something that happened 2 1/2 years ago. We didn't lose that game because Ramos stayed on the field, we lost it because Karius did.

teesred
21st November 2020, 05:39 PM
Ben White has been playing holding mod for BHA. Wouldnt be shocked if we went for him with him being versatile.

justme
21st November 2020, 05:54 PM
We also lost the game because we were outnumbered in the midfield..But yep Karius had a stinker

justme
21st November 2020, 05:57 PM
Mentioning Ramos its laughable to considered hes even in contention. Theres a hell of a lot crap rumours being floated around as factual truths. Usually emanating from the Spanish media.

ianlfc
21st November 2020, 06:03 PM
Mentioning Ramos its laughable to considered hes even in contention. Theres a hell of a lot crap rumours being floated around as factual truths. Usually emanating from the Spanish media.

If he was fit and available, would he start tomorrow ?

Steveo
21st November 2020, 06:12 PM

He would start regardless. We naturally can’t stand him but he is a match winning CB.

faridtoxteth
21st November 2020, 06:14 PM
I can kind of agree with you, but that is having the benefit of knowing that a year later Salah won the CL. Some players never get a shot at it. You expect players to be professional, but you can't deny that there are some rivalries, grudges and history that can't be just forgotten about.
You could say that we might have won it if Salah had stayed on the field by the way, we were in the ascendancy in the game up to that point.

ianlfc
21st November 2020, 07:05 PM
He would start regardless. We naturally can’t stand him but he is a match winning CB.

Needs must this season.

justme
21st November 2020, 07:28 PM

He may well do,But he would end up being a complete twat.

ianlfc
21st November 2020, 07:36 PM
He may well do,But he would end up being a complete twat.

A league and Champions league winning twat !!

Balinkay
21st November 2020, 08:22 PM
There are things more important than winning.

ianlfc
21st November 2020, 08:27 PM
There are things more important than winning.

Let's win the thophies and we can argue about it later.

LEGS
21st November 2020, 08:32 PM
I know most are joking about Ramos yes he has been a very good centre back.

He isnt a great for me though and my reason is he has picked up over 20 red cards great players dont lose control that often.

As the great Paulo Maldini said "If I have to go to the ground to challenge ive already made a mistake".

We will be signing someone aged 20-26 for a new CB who that is will be anyones guess.

miller0863
21st November 2020, 08:56 PM
If we’re talking fantasy signings, Harry Kane would be a really good addition, him Koulibaly and a fit Thiago and I could see us winning a CL and Premier League double, no problem.

Steveo
21st November 2020, 09:16 PM
That would do the trick no problem.

miller0863
21st November 2020, 09:44 PM
And there’s always Haaland at Dortmund, 2 goals again so far this evening.

miller0863
21st November 2020, 09:55 PM
Ok just watched him score his third .... he could definitely do a job

Insidious
21st November 2020, 10:04 PM
Any free agent centre-backs besides Cedric Yambere? (who?)

miller0863
21st November 2020, 10:25 PM
Anyone thinking Haaland may lack a bit of pace, he’s been recorded as the quickest player on the pitch tonight at 34.42 km/h in scoring his 4 goals in the game.

Balinkay
21st November 2020, 10:49 PM
Any free agent centre-backs besides Cedric Yambere? (who?)

There was one 34-year-old who played for Real and some other decent Spanish side, but his name escapes me.

faridtoxteth
21st November 2020, 10:54 PM
If we’re talking fantasy signings, Harry Kane would be a really good addition, him Koulibaly and a fit Thiago and I could see us winning a CL and Premier League double, no problem.

As someone said earlier in the thread, there are sometimes more important things than winning. I personally can't stand harry Kane, the sense of self entitlement, the diving, the six goal 'golden boot' that included three penalties and a tap in, the way he took eriksons goal off him because he thought it slightly touched his shirt on the way in, the on pitch nonstop whingeing to the ref, the way he was too much of a billy big boots to start on the bench in the CL final and let Moura play who was obviously the man in form...and so on.
That whole tottenham team are full of people like him...Deli Alli, Lamela,

teesred
21st November 2020, 11:43 PM
There was one 34-year-old who played for Real and some other decent Spanish side, but his name escapes me.

Garay? Got released from Valencia as they had to cut their wage bill. Free agents at this point in the season are that for a reason.

skyebo
21st November 2020, 11:44 PM
As someone said earlier in the thread, there are sometimes more important things than winning. I personally can't stand harry Kane, the sense of self entitlement, the diving, the six goal 'golden boot' that included three penalties and a tap in, the way he took eriksons goal off him because he thought it slightly touched his shirt on the way in, the on pitch nonstop whingeing to the ref, the way he was too much of a billy big boots to start on the bench in the CL final and let Moura play who was obviously the man in form...and so on.
That whole tottenham team are full of people like him...Deli Alli, Lamela,

I'd take Son any day before Kane, but i doubt we'd get him as he's just about to sign a contract extension.

miller0863
22nd November 2020, 12:10 AM
Who would you drop to play Son?

Balinkay
22nd November 2020, 12:18 AM
Garay? Got released from Valencia as they had to cut their wage bill. Free agents at this point in the season are that for a reason.

Yeah, might be him.

I mean as a stop-gap for six months... how bad could he possibly be?

justme
22nd November 2020, 12:18 AM
He or Mane could be the main striker.. Jota/Mane/Son and Salah what a 4 that would be.. Of course you need to be able to defend but the likes of Son and Jota do work hard so does Mane..

Kev0909
22nd November 2020, 02:17 AM
This ain't fifa21 no chance of signing spurs best players lmao

Unless fsg wanna spend big money I'd love to get haaland but once again fantasy signing with these owners

Same with the cbs no chance we'll get someone big probably end up with Ben White stupidly over priced

Nineteenx
22nd November 2020, 02:21 AM
2 cb's Schuurs and one other, maybe the Shalke lad

Kev0909
22nd November 2020, 02:35 AM
We won't sign 2, people are going mad in the head with this corona thing.. more chance of signing 2 CBS than son/kane/ramos mind, I'd never want ramos anywhere near are team after what that cunt did can't believe it was even mentioned, top class cunt not in a good way

teesred
22nd November 2020, 10:45 AM
Yeah, might be him.

I mean as a stop-gap for six months... how bad could he possibly be?

Think back to Mauricio Pellegrino 2005. Probably as bad as that.

miller0863
22nd November 2020, 12:02 PM
Don’t know why there’s such an air of negativity surrounding us going into the transfer market. We have been absolutely spot on at bringing players in since Klopp came in. Karius has been the only mistake.

Balinkay
22nd November 2020, 12:12 PM
Don’t know why there’s such an air of negativity surrounding us going into the transfer market. We have been absolutely spot on at bringing players in since Klopp came in. Karius has been the only mistake.

I guess Keita counts as a mistake too, as would Ox, if we're being picky. Have a sneaky suspicion the same will be said about Taki, provided we don't sell him on for a good fee (though the jury is still out on him).

But you are right - we should be more confident in Micky Edwards. Seems to know his stuff.

Kev0909
22nd November 2020, 12:20 PM

Who's being negative??

all I can see is people saying very unrealistic targets and signings we'd never make.

Anyone who's well known will cost us a ton, in January and when clubs know/think we're desperate

Nothing more i'd like is to sign a world class CB and haaland in jan for CB and summer for Haaland but it's not going to happen sadly, we don't have the money other clubs will pay unless salah/mane/firmino leaves, (one of them)

teesred
22nd November 2020, 12:36 PM
Kev to be fair the likes of Ramos and Varane were only said in jest. The rest of them are all possible. Even Koulio is at this point in time.

miller0863
22nd November 2020, 12:53 PM
Yep, saying Ramos Varane and Kane are not serious comments but there are several “we’ll probably end up with” comments intimating we won’t get what we need. I am saying just about every time we’ve gone into the market we have got exactly what we need.
Mistakes have only been around injury records since coming to the club but on ability alone, they are all very talented footballers.

stevie harkness
22nd November 2020, 01:18 PM
There was a piece on This is Anfield in September explaining why we couldn't just go out and buy Johnny Foreigner because of the homegrown rule.

We are allowed 17 non homegrown players in a 25 man squad:

We finally found a club for Karius and Grujic so that we could bring in Thiago and Jota

Allisson, Adrian
Robertson, Tsmikas, van Dijk, Matip
Thiago, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita,
Firmino, Mane, Salah, Minamino, Origi, Shaqiri, Jota

Does this mean we will be selling Origi in January or converting him into a centre back?

Or going for Ben White, Ethan Ampadu or Ezri Konsa who count as homegrown.

ianlfc
22nd November 2020, 01:24 PM
Yep, saying Ramos Varane and Kane are not serious comments but there are several “we’ll probably end up with” comments intimating we won’t get what we need. I am saying just about every time we’ve gone into the market we have got exactly what we need.
Mistakes have only been around injury records since coming to the club but on ability alone, they are all very talented footballers.

What do you mean Ramos,Varane and Kane aren't serious comments, stop being so bloody Kevative!!

miller0863
22nd November 2020, 01:51 PM
Sorry Ian.

skyebo
22nd November 2020, 05:18 PM
Who would you drop to play Son?

I don't know tbh, but Mane dropped back to accomodate Coutinho when he came back from his fake back injury. If any of the front 3 aren't available ( which isn't often ) he could come in, and not be a massive drop in quality.

miller0863
24th November 2020, 10:23 PM
I’ve watched Mbappé and I’ve watched Haaland and I would absolutely hate it if went to Utd or City, he would break all scoring records if he came to the Prem.
Would rather break the bank for Haaland than Mbappe. The latter is obviously a very talented player but very hyped due to his age, whereas Haaland is already just an absolute machine.

Kev0909
24th November 2020, 10:30 PM
I’ve watched Mbappé and I’ve watched Haaland and I would absolutely hate it if went to Utd or City, he would break all scoring records if he came to the Prem.
Would rather break the bank for Haaland than Mbappe. The latter is obviously a very talented player but very hyped due to his age, whereas Haaland is already just an absolute machine.

yep even if it was the biggest signing for 3 seasons or so, Haaland would be worth it

I know mbappe is good, but he's never impressed me that much compared to Haaland

I just hope we sign him very unlikely or he goes/stays in spain / bayern

miller0863
24th November 2020, 10:31 PM
Only chance Kev is if we sell Sadio or Mo

Kev0909
24th November 2020, 10:34 PM
Only chance Kev is if we sell Sadio or Mo

Indeed, probably end up being lewandowski replacement, anywhere but in the EPL unless it's for us

Why them 2 though? Could get good money for firmino still

don't think we have a chance sadly unless FSG sell some shares or somit

miller0863
24th November 2020, 10:36 PM
Not sure we could get enough for Bobby, he works in our system but as a CF in the traditional sense I doubt anyone is gonna pay more than £50-60m for him.

Kev0909
24th November 2020, 10:50 PM
Not sure we could get enough for Bobby, he works in our system but as a CF in the traditional sense I doubt anyone is gonna pay more than £50-60m for him.

FSG can pay the rest

Balinkay
24th November 2020, 11:18 PM
Noone will pay for Bobby. Not flashy enough.

Insidious
25th November 2020, 12:29 AM
Haaland, one day, would be really something.

Kev0909
25th November 2020, 01:21 PM
Dominik Szoboszlai Haaland and a CB in jan thanks!

Not asking for much

Selling origi should cover it

Balinkay
25th November 2020, 01:50 PM
He's won more important stuff than the three of them combined, so I guess you can't be far off. :D

Insidious
27th November 2020, 09:37 AM
Liverpool are in talks to sign Ajax defender Perr Schurrs, with the Reds given a price of £27m for the 21-year-old centre-back. - Corriere dello Sport

Will be interesting to see if this has legs.

Balinkay
27th November 2020, 12:44 PM
19x called it!

ianlfc
27th November 2020, 01:50 PM
Liverpool are in talks to sign Ajax defender Perr Schurrs, with the Reds given a price of £27m for the 21-year-old centre-back. - Corriere dello Sport

Will be interesting to see if this has legs.

He was brought to Anfield and shown around The training facilities before he signed his first contract with Ajax.

Kev0909
27th November 2020, 01:52 PM
probably the most realistic option, young won't break the bank, unlike a lot of the other CB's that could be a option

FSG says yes

I'd hate to support Ajax basically a big feeder club

they win the league pretty much every year, a few players stand out, said players get sold- to a top team in europe

at least unlike dortmund, they don't sell to rival clubs in league etc

vin
27th November 2020, 02:18 PM

Exactly. Very rarely do we make mistakes. I would even say that Karius, in theory made sense.

I guess the most expensive mistake to date is Keita, and that's more to do with injury then capability

Steveo
27th November 2020, 02:25 PM
Karius - Matip - Shaq - Oxlade - Keita & Minamino

Talk about people being clouded by success.

We have made some great signings but have plenty that have barely played much at all.

Basically if we win the league in May half will be lording our transfers - if we miss out on top 4 - the same people will be picking holes in them.

We have an amazing manager. The end

vin
27th November 2020, 02:41 PM
Karius - Matip - Shaq - Oxlade - Keita & Minamino

Talk about people being clouded by success.

We have made some great signings but have plenty that have barely played much at all.

Basically if we win the league in May half will be lording our transfers - if we miss out on top 4 - the same people will be picking holes in them.

We have an amazing manager. The end

An amazing manager who signed most of those players. There is a difference between injuries and a player just being shit.

Karius turned out to be shit
Matip is a good CB - too injury prone but has had runs in the team where he has been brilliant
Ox - I would say the same
Shaq - Was always a squad player for me. He isn't shit but isn't consistently at the level needed. Again, injuries (and possibly attitude) have a role to play
Minamino - still too early. I've said before. Coming into the team during CV19 lockdown, not playing in English football etc etc may have impacted his ability to contribute.
Keita - injury ravaged. Has shown glimpses but never available to make a proper decision on him

Balinkay
27th November 2020, 02:42 PM
probably the most realistic option, young won't break the bank, unlike a lot of the other CB's that could be a option

FSG says yes

I'd hate to support Ajax basically a big feeder club

they win the league pretty much every year, a few players stand out, said players get sold- to a top team in europe

at least unlike dortmund, they don't sell to rival clubs in league etc

They are a feeder club, but that's been their ingrained philosophy for decades afaik. They're European royalty like us. Have a lot of time for them.

Steveo
27th November 2020, 03:17 PM
An amazing manager who signed most of those players. There is a difference between injuries and a player just being shit.

Karius turned out to be shit
Matip is a good CB - too injury prone but has had runs in the team where he has been brilliant
Ox - I would say the same
Shaq - Was always a squad player for me. He isn't shit but isn't consistently at the level needed. Again, injuries (and possibly attitude) have a role to play
Minamino - still too early. I've said before. Coming into the team during CV19 lockdown, not playing in English football etc etc may have impacted his ability to contribute.
Keita - injury ravaged. Has shown glimpses but never available to make a proper decision on him

Klopp signed them all - there are 6 of them and they have all to varying degrees proved to be less then great buys for whatever reasons chosen

We have done some great business as I have said - Matip was even a free - but 80+ games in 5 and a half years? It just isn't enough. Klopp does get signings wrong just like every manager does. There is nothing miraculous in our transfer dealings either - there is just a fantastic manager making the most out of what he has.

vin
27th November 2020, 03:25 PM
Klopp signed them all - there are 6 of them and they have all to varying degrees proved to be less then great buys for whetevr reasons chosen

Only Karius has left.

I think Matip, on a free, has been a good signing.
Minamino has time. Too early to tell. Bear in mind that Klopp didn't start Robbo for ages.
Ox I think has been a decent transfer tbh

I'd agree with Shaq and Keita.

Steveo
27th November 2020, 03:34 PM
Only Karius has left.

I think Matip, on a free, has been a good signing.
Minamino has time. Too early to tell. Bear in mind that Klopp didn't start Robbo for ages.
Ox I think has been a decent transfer tbh

I'd agree with Shaq and Keita.

I think we see this differently. The Ox has barely kicked a ball for us and Minamino wasn't even started in the game v Atalanta...?

Matip is arguably the best of the 6 to date BUT @ well over £25 million in wages even if he hasn't had a pay rise since he signed.. 80+ league games - it's around £300,000 a game... Not exactly brilliant on the bang for buck metric. He started well first season but then went down the pan. Until Virgil arrived he was miles off it too.

EDIT I realise Matip has actually only been here for 4 + years.. apologies. - so it's £21 million in wages but still quite expensive relative to games..

Balinkay
27th November 2020, 04:32 PM
Matip has been an excellent signing imo.

Oxo and Keita less so... (understatement of the day).

And tbf taking a gamble on the likes of Minamino and Karius wasn't a terrible idea - worst case we sell them on for decent money. Ok, that's not how it worked out for Loris, but hindsight is 20/20.

Shaq is an odd one, but getting a player of his quality for 13m is a good deal no matter how you look at it. He wasn't brought in to be a starter - that much was clear.

Our transfer record over the past three or four years has been by-and-large stellar imo. You can't get them all right - we seem to get more than our fair share of them right.

@Steveo: could you provide a comparison with other players regarding money/game? Would be interesting how Matip compares to others.

Steveo
27th November 2020, 04:54 PM
Matip - as I say since Virgil has got better and when fit. Just that we can’t rely on the fitness. Pretty crazy to think we are counting on that.

Will try and compare with another player - will take a while

Balinkay
27th November 2020, 05:43 PM
Yeah, of course - too lazy to do it myself. :D

Though to be fair our two starter CBs being out for the season is a pretty freak occurence. And even now we have Fab who's been excellent in the role.

Steveo
27th November 2020, 06:47 PM
Yeah, of course - too lazy to do it myself. :D

Though to be fair our two starter CBs being out for the season is a pretty freak occurence. And even now we have Fab who's been excellent in the role.

It is quite rare to have both out for the season BUT has happened before to Gomez.

FYI - I started looking at Firmino as a comparison in cost per game to Matip - roughly £250k a game for Bobby ( including his bumper £9 million a year upgraded deal ) vs £200k a game for Matip despite being on a Bosman.

All I am saying is - we tend to think of him as a costing very little when in fact this isn't true. He can be superb when fit.. The trouble being keeping him fit. We have a fair few who are just not fit to play nearly enough of the time.

vin
27th November 2020, 09:04 PM
I'm not sure looking at the wages per game is a valid way of calculating best value but I know why people do it

Both Ox and Matip played key roles in winning the league, CL, and getting to another CL final. And setting a load of club records. That has to be worth something. That's why we have a squad

I'm not ready to write Minamino off.

dicko1969
27th November 2020, 09:10 PM

Did his hamstring
Out for a month .

dicko1969
27th November 2020, 09:18 PM
There was a piece on This is Anfield in September explaining why we couldn't just go out and buy Johnny Foreigner because of the homegrown rule.

We are allowed 17 non homegrown players in a 25 man squad:

We finally found a club for Karius and Grujic so that we could bring in Thiago and Jota

Allisson, Adrian
Robertson, Tsmikas, van Dijk, Matip
Thiago, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita,
Firmino, Mane, Salah, Minamino, Origi, Shaqiri, Jota

Does this mean we will be selling Origi in January or converting him into a centre back?

Or going for Ben White, Ethan Ampadu or Ezri Konsa who count as homegrown.
Is Robertson seen as "foreign"
I know brexshit is bad but that's taking the croissant!

dicko1969
27th November 2020, 09:21 PM

21 nearly 22yo
Mbappe isnt hyped.

dicko1969
27th November 2020, 09:21 PM

More £30m to £40m maximum

dicko1969
27th November 2020, 09:25 PM
Origi
Shaqiri
Grujic
Wilson
Karius

Are all on the market unofficially
But nobody came in at the right price.

Karius nobody wants
The others probably wanted but for like £10m maximum evidently refused.

miller0863
27th November 2020, 09:35 PM
Mbappe is one of the most “hyped” players in World football. Haaland’s numbers are far better but doesn’t get anything like the media hype Mbappe does.

miller0863
27th November 2020, 09:37 PM
Clubs like Juve, Atletico, PSG and Bayern would all pay at least £50m for Bobby if he was going to any of them

Insidious
27th November 2020, 10:18 PM
Mbappe is one of the most “hyped” players in World football. Haaland’s numbers are far better but doesn’t get anything like the media hype Mbappe does.

Mbappe scored a goal in a World Cup Final as a teenager.

One other player has done that. One.

Rightly or wrongly, people take note of such things.

miller0863
27th November 2020, 10:48 PM
Djimi Traore won a Champions League winners medal, no one so crap has ever done that.

Mbappe is undoubtedly a fantastic talent, not denying that, just saying he is ultra hyped. He’s only played in the French League and for the last 12 months Mbappe has shown little when playing against better players in the Champions League (stat from BT was no goals in a year) Sure it’s just a blip in his development, just saying Haaland looks to be ahead of him for me but unfortunately he is unlikely to ever get the opportunity to score in a World Cup Final, that doesn’t make him a lesser player.

stevie harkness
27th November 2020, 10:57 PM
Is Robertson seen as "foreign"
I know brexshit is bad but that's taking the croissant!

Yes indeed, Scottish FA registered, and joined Hull too late to qualify as homegrown.

CCTV
28th November 2020, 12:09 AM
Djimi Traore won a Champions League winners medal, no one so crap has ever done that.

Mbappe is undoubtedly a fantastic talent, not denying that, just saying he is ultra hyped. He’s only played in the French League and for the last 12 months Mbappe has shown little when playing against better players in the Champions League (stat from BT was no goals in a year) Sure it’s just a blip in his development, just saying Haaland looks to be ahead of him for me but unfortunately he is unlikely to ever get the opportunity to score in a World Cup Final, that doesn’t make him a lesser player.

United have a few candidates Jonathon Greening, Jasper Bolmqvist, Felipe Anderson.

CCTV
28th November 2020, 12:11 AM
It's a pity Shane Duffy signed for Celtic in the summer, I believe this excludes him from joining in January

Insidious
28th November 2020, 12:51 AM

I actually agree with you overall. I don't like how much weight can get placed on "moments".

Joe Cole's long-range against Sweden didn't make him a generational English talent etc. etc.

However things of these Nature are undeniably a component in the narrative. Again, rightly or wrongly.

Haaland's goal contribution is higher, with less minutes needed per goal scored and he is doing it in a tougher League. So I'm with you in that Haaland is (currently) the more potent talent. I'd also add that Haaland has named a list of strikers that he views as being better than he is, whereas Mbappe I think was quoted as saying he felt he was better than Messi, though I will be Googling that to ensure it isn't one of those things my Brain has made up.

What will be interesting is the longevity. Some players burn too bright for a short time (Ronaldinho) while others do it for a prolonged period (Messi, Ronaldo) and you'd always want the player who does it for longer.

Steveo
28th November 2020, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure looking at the wages per game is a valid way of calculating best value but I know why people do it

Both Ox and Matip played key roles in winning the league, CL, and getting to another CL final. And setting a load of club records. That has to be worth something. That's why we have a squad

I'm not ready to write Minamino off.

Agree - just did the side by side as was asked for a comparison and it is interesting to see. Only used initially to highlight actual cost verses perception.

Also agree on the key roles - would very much add Origi and even Shaq ( to a lesser degree ) in there too. Key roles but all sadly have played too few games. Dependability.

Wouldn’t write off Minamino as a player at all - but in nigh on a year with us he has barely featured. I was shocked when he didn’t start on Wednesday.

Balinkay
28th November 2020, 10:39 AM
Origi's been worth every penny with the two goals v Barca alone. Not to mention the fact that Everton fans scare their kids with stories about him. :D

Steveo
28th November 2020, 10:48 AM
Origi will always be a club legend. Maybe that is part of the problem for him now.

Kev0909
28th November 2020, 11:09 AM
Barcelona's players have agreed to wage cuts that will save the Spanish club 122m euros (£110m).

The 26-time La Liga champions have also agreed with their players to have about €50m (£45m) of variable payments deferred over a three-year period.

Their last accounts showed a 97m euros (£87m) loss while the net debt more than doubled to 488m euros (£438m).

Don't think they're getting salah or mane any time soon

Cheeky bid for Fati?

no wonder they're after wij on a free

Thanks for the coutinho money <3

Balinkay
28th November 2020, 11:49 AM
Cheeky bid for Fati! Let's go!

Fair play to the players though - Barca are in deep shite. Good to see them sacrifice something voluntarily, even if I truly dislike Barcelona.

reddownunder
28th November 2020, 12:09 PM
You look at their squad and Fati is really the only player I would want.

Hopefully their current form keeps up and Koeman is sacked by January and Wijnaldum stays

Kev0909
28th November 2020, 12:26 PM
You look at their squad and Fati is really the only player I would want.

Hopefully their current form keeps up and Koeman is sacked by January and Wijnaldum stays

there's another young lad who looks decent called Pedri but apart from that I agree

Nineteenx
28th November 2020, 04:46 PM
Two CB's please, one of whom can also play at RB

miller0863
29th November 2020, 01:39 AM
Surely not....

Real Madrid's priority is to sign 21-year-old Paris St-Germain and France forward Kylian Mbappe in 2021 before trying to bring in Norway striker Erling Braut Haaland, 20, from Borussia Dortmund in 2022. (AS)

Both???

CCTV
29th November 2020, 02:54 AM
Surely not....

Real Madrid's priority is to sign 21-year-old Paris St-Germain and France forward Kylian Mbappe in 2021 before trying to bring in Norway striker Erling Braut Haaland, 20, from Borussia Dortmund in 2022. (AS)

Both???

Why not ?

2 cracking goalscorers with years ahead of them. Haaland an out and out 9 and Mbappe can play anywhere across the front line.

Mbappe out of contract in 2022 and keen to move by reports, Haaland has a buyout clause that becomes active in 2022 by reports 82 million dollars.

Could sign both for less than 200 million, which in today's market is cracking value imo.

RedNoodle
29th November 2020, 05:38 AM
It's what you can do when you're effectively bankrolled by the state, and are allowed to bend/break/circumnavigate the rules.

Insidious
29th November 2020, 10:00 AM
Could sign both for less than 200 million, which in today's market is cracking value imo.

Absolutely.

Could have them on your books doing great things for about 6 years or so, then choose to sell one at age 26-28 for big money when they still have a few years left in them to fund whoever the next big talent is.

Would have to see them there as there is very little to like about Real Madrid, but you can certainly see the sense in it for them - they'd have more goals in their attacking line-up than anyone in La Liga and the vast majority of Europe, making them very competitive in the two Competitions they care about most.

I'd love if we could bring one of them or Sancho here, but I trust Edwards etc. to find another Salah/Mane/Jota to be fair.

Insidious
29th November 2020, 11:00 AM
Marco Kana (18-year old centre-back, Anderlecht) has said Liverpool would be his dream move. Actually quoted, not a journalist putting words in his mouth.

Normally I'd say "that's nice" and barely bat an eyelid as I know absolutely nothing about the guy besides being described as "the next Kompany" - and needless to say any player described as "the next" anyone is often doomed - but given that Southampton are linked with buying him and typically are quite shrewd in the Market, I'm wondering if we should perhaps go for him and cut out the middle-man, rather than buy him in a few years with a massive mark-up?

LFC vs PFC
29th November 2020, 12:32 PM
Marco Kana (18-year old centre-back, Anderlecht) has said Liverpool would be his dream move. Actually quoted, not a journalist putting words in his mouth.

Normally I'd say "that's nice" and barely bat an eyelid as I know absolutely nothing about the guy besides being described as "the next Kompany" - and needless to say any player described as "the next" anyone is often doomed - but given that Southampton are linked with buying him and typically are quite shrewd in the Market, I'm wondering if we should perhaps go for him and cut out the middle-man, rather than buy him in a few years with a massive mark-up?

The safest thing to do would be buy him and Ian him to Southampton! Everyone's a winner!

miller0863
29th November 2020, 01:28 PM
Surely not as in, whoever is approached after the other has already signed would think twice about going.
For example if they signed Mbappe, Haaland might well think he’s not going to be the main man and they may well not play the two together.
If I was Haaland I wouldn’t go there if Zidane was still in charge and he’d just signed Mbappe.

Whereas, Haaland would win everything at Anfield and be the CF, every week.

skyebo
29th November 2020, 02:56 PM
Apparently we are after a pair of shoes.

RedNoodle
29th November 2020, 03:30 PM
Apparently we are after a pair of shoes.

Probably a not too battered, or too hideous looking pair of no name trainers found in the bargain bin of a local 'Shoe Zone'.

miller0863
1st December 2020, 03:48 PM
Not for January but no doubt Europe’s big hitters will be watching how this develops

“Barca have had to negotiate pay cuts with their players to the tune of £110m while for Atletico the pandemic has made a tough situation even more precarious, the club finding themselves in £895m of debt and with the highest paid manager in world football in Diego Simeone.
The latest set of accounts, as reported by Goal, did show the La Liga side turned a £1.6m profit in the most recent financial year, but debt ballooned by another £17m, their turnover falling by £28.7m.”

They do have one or two prize assets that could be of interest, Jao Felix for a start.

Balinkay
1st December 2020, 03:50 PM
Jesus H. Christ - one BILLION Euro in debt?!?!

miller0863
1st December 2020, 03:54 PM
How is that ok with FFP? They have obviously been spending money they don’t have for quite some time.

justme
1st December 2020, 04:00 PM
Even if the want to sell the like of Felix.. Their not gonna get back the 100+ million they paid for him. I cant see any team coughing up that amount of money when every club has been in the shit due to the pandemic.
Man-united wanted Sancho and was only willing to pay around 70 million. Dortmund wanted 110 million or something similar.

Steveo
1st December 2020, 04:04 PM
Jesus H. Christ - one BILLION Euro in debt?!?!

Yep they best get Hooper in..

https://youtu.be/2-1iYsnFPH0

Brilliant screenplay - Richard Dreyfuss and Robert Shaw bang on form.. Classic

RedNoodle
1st December 2020, 04:12 PM
How is that ok with FFP? They have obviously been spending money they don’t have for quite some time.

Do you really need to ask that question Miller? Surely you are 'wise' enough to know how the world works.

miller0863
1st December 2020, 05:06 PM
You mean ... the world’s NOT fair and everything IS run by money??

NOOOOOOooooooooooo......

RedNoodle
1st December 2020, 05:14 PM
You mean ... the world’s NOT fair and everything IS run by money??

NOOOOOOooooooooooo......

I'm sorry I had to break that news to you. Next time I'll try to sugar coat the news that it also helps knowing the right people as well.

Oops!!! Sorry!!! :o

justme
1st December 2020, 05:19 PM
Money makes the world go around

Balinkay
1st December 2020, 05:51 PM

Do you really need to ask that question Miller? Surely you are 'wise' enough to know how the world works.

I guess it's mostly down to the new stadium. Iirc infrastructure investments don't count towards FFP.

miller0863
1st December 2020, 05:53 PM
Careful Noods...Father Christmas doesn’t take kindly to people who deliberately upset others, they go on the naughty list 😡

RedNoodle
1st December 2020, 06:05 PM
Careful Noods...Father Christmas doesn’t take kindly to people who deliberately upset others, they go on the naughty list ��

All I can say on that front is that if it's true, I must have upset a hell of a lot of people, I'd say at least around half of the entire population of the planet.

miller0863
1st December 2020, 06:23 PM
Play to your strengths Noods, play to your strengths

RedNoodle
1st December 2020, 06:27 PM
Play to your strengths Noods, play to your strengths

I would do If I had any.

miller0863
1st December 2020, 06:57 PM
Thought pissing people off was going quite well ....

RedNoodle
1st December 2020, 07:24 PM
Thought pissing people off was going quite well ....

That's hardly a strength, especially if it is the cause of me living/having lived a life of hell.

I strenuously try not to do such a thing, and in fact try to do the exact opposite, but it seems I always manage it, despite in the majority of cases that it should be (and usually is) me is that has been (sometimes intentionally) peed off by others.

miller0863
1st December 2020, 07:36 PM
You’ll have to try a lot harder where I’m concerned Noods, how many years you been on here? And you haven’t managed it yet mate.
I think you give a good counter balance to the happy clappers we often have to endure.

dicko1969
1st December 2020, 07:37 PM
Doom and gloom
You must be loving 2020

miller0863
1st December 2020, 07:42 PM
Says the biggest winer of the lot ... sorry wino

RedNoodle
1st December 2020, 07:43 PM
You’ll have to try a lot harder where I’m concerned Noods, how many years you been on here? And you haven’t managed it yet mate.
I think you give a good counter balance to the happy clappers we often have to endure.

I dunno. I've sometimes thought that I actually have managed to pee you off. I think life should be about balance. I have my reasons for seeing things as I do, but I also realise that it can be helpful to look at things in a positive light from time to time. Sticking steadfastly to just one way looking at things is not a good thing and often leads to getting stuck in a rut.

dicko1969
1st December 2020, 07:44 PM
Everything in life is for a reason.

Steveo
1st December 2020, 08:02 PM
Everything in life is for a reason.

Boris Johnson...?

Kev0909
1st December 2020, 08:04 PM
Boris Johnson...?

Covid 19??

do need to get rid of the aging population tbf init

dicko1969
1st December 2020, 08:16 PM
Covid 19??

do need to get rid of the aging population tbf init

You do have a point

UK increase of around 8million people in the last 20 years is mostly down to an ageing population in the uk people living longer and old geezer babyboomers.

I think miller comes into that category 🤣🤣

Kev0909
1st December 2020, 08:19 PM
You do have a point

UK increase of around 8million people in the last 20 years is mostly down to an ageing population in the uk people living longer and old geezer babyboomers.

I think miller comes into that category ����

Indeed

#SAVETHENHS

miller0863
1st December 2020, 08:20 PM
Oy dicko, my Dad said you were always a bit of a wind up merchant at school.

RedNoodle
1st December 2020, 08:20 PM
Indeed

#SAVETHENHS

As an expert on it I can tell you for a fact that the NHS is beyond saving and is in terminal declne. If it was an OAP it would be ignored and left to die.

dicko1969
1st December 2020, 08:21 PM
In decline since 1948 tbh

Kev0909
1st December 2020, 08:22 PM
What's good and free? Service-wise

reddownunder
2nd December 2020, 11:49 AM
Didn't see the game last night. What did you guys make of Schuurs? Young Gravenberch is one that has been attracting a lot of attention lately too...

miller0863
2nd December 2020, 12:01 PM
He’s kept Sadio Mané very quiet for two Champions League games, he isn’t going to get many sterner tests than that.
Mané turned home once last night and he was booked for bringing him down but over all he pretty much bossed the contest

reddownunder
2nd December 2020, 12:10 PM
He’s kept Sadio Mané very quiet for two Champions League games, he isn’t going to get many sterner tests than that.
Mané turned home once last night and he was booked for bringing him down but over all he pretty much bossed the contest

Cool thanks. I wonder if we've really made a bid or whether it's media bollocks

miller0863
2nd December 2020, 12:17 PM
Media saying we’ve made inquiries but not made a bid and that we angst him for £27m, which sounds like a good deal to me. Looks a much better defender than Gomez

Kev0909
2nd December 2020, 12:32 PM
Media saying we’ve made inquiries but not made a bid and that we angst him for £27m, which sounds like a good deal to me. Looks a much better defender than Gomez

Don't expect it'll cost much as he's from Ajax and not really a stand out world class player or anything

Ajax are mugs really but why would you stay at that club? very rare get anywhere in champions league, and walk the league every season pretty much after you've won it once, what's left?

Not like the dutch league is a very big thing either to win

On another note, how good is it to see players that have left utd doing a lot better than they did at utd? Something up with that club that makes good players shit

LEGS
2nd December 2020, 01:03 PM
Our best chance of getting him in Jan is if Ajax go out of the CL next week.

He is a strong youth, big unit and has abit of pace too.

He impressed me in both games and the links to him go back 3 years when Klopp had him train with us we are clearly watching him.

Insidious
2nd December 2020, 03:23 PM

21-years old and clearly talented though, with Champion's League experience.

Age/potential (depending on how you look at it) raises the price a bit - if you get to roughly 32-years old before a centre-back is over the Hill you're talking about an 11-year option potentially.

In that sense £27m is probably a fair enough rate - really do hope we're in for him - can only find one instance of injury with him, a calf problem, which kept him out for 6 days.

If (we don't know enough as fans, our medical team are much better-placed for this stuff) he is a player that is fairly injury-resistant, is strong (he looks it) can contain a talented forward (Mane didn't trouble him much) and has technical ability (he does - Ajax players usually do) then he looks like a sequence of green ticks in the "Yes" column.

Balinkay
2nd December 2020, 03:41 PM
He's be a steal at that price. Though I doubt we have the space in the squad for yet another Johnny Forn'er.

teesred
2nd December 2020, 04:19 PM
He's be a steal at that price. Though I doubt we have the space in the squad for yet another Johnny Forn'er.

Simple solution is to sell one of the players who are robbing a living. Keita or Shaq spring to mind.

stevie harkness
2nd December 2020, 04:23 PM
Simple solution is to sell one of the players who are robbing a living. Keita or Shaq spring to mind.

Or maybe Adrian is closer to the exit now. We don't seem to be using Origi much either.

Balinkay
2nd December 2020, 04:33 PM
The question is who'd buy them at the price we'd want. I can't see us selling more than one of them (at most) in January.

miller0863
2nd December 2020, 04:57 PM
Get £20m for Origi, Schuurs only costs us £7m and no more wages that Origi was on, possibly less.

Balinkay
2nd December 2020, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure anyone will pay 20m for Big Div this January miller. He's been shite for us recently and he wasn't that highly sought after in the first place.

stevie harkness
2nd December 2020, 05:09 PM
The question is who'd buy them at the price we'd want. I can't see us selling more than one of them (at most) in January.

Well if we really want to buy Johnny Forn'er then we'll be prepared to do a cut price sale.

We weren't too successful selling Wilson, Grujic et al in the summer. Adrian released on a free would save us messing around needing to sell before we can buy.

miller0863
2nd December 2020, 05:40 PM
Well we got £20m for Solanke so I would have thought it possible to get at least the same for someone who actually has scored goals at the highest level and in the biggest possible games.

teesred
2nd December 2020, 05:43 PM
Well we got £20m for Solanke so I would have thought it possible to get at least the same for someone who actually has scored goals at the highest level and in the biggest possible games.

Maybe after struggling to shift the ones we wanted out the days if that kind of deal (Solanke,Ibe) may be over? Might be just covid related of course. I dont see why Origi wouldn't go for 20m though, hes got pedigree despite looking like a lazy bum of late. He'd score goals in the right team as an out and CF.

Balinkay
2nd December 2020, 05:44 PM

That was before COVID and he was younger and English.

miller0863
2nd December 2020, 05:47 PM
Div’s 25 and coming into his peak. He has quite a goals reel at the very highest level, Solanke had nothing but potential.
Covid has changed the market somewhat but I still think there’s value in big Div at £20m.

Steveo
2nd December 2020, 05:53 PM
Will need Div to hit a few goals in the coming months I feel. That is why Klopp played him the other night I am certain - but it shows we are again selling to buy.

justme
2nd December 2020, 05:54 PM
When we signed Jota that pretty much ended Origis career with us.he may get sometime here and there in the next few weeks due to injury. But when everyones fit hes not gonna get into the squad on match days never mind the first 11.
So may as well cash in and lets hope we can get a good deal for him

LEGS
2nd December 2020, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure anyone will pay 20m for Big Div this January miller. He's been shite for us recently and he wasn't that highly sought after in the first place.

Mate we got £19m for Solanke !

I think we will get around £20m for him he is still young only 24-25, scored in CL semi and final and used to playing for a club where pressure is on.

Origi is a good player he needs to play as a central striker in a team that suits him once he does that he can have a decent career someone like Wolves,Leeds might look at him.

stevie harkness
2nd December 2020, 07:04 PM
We got £20m ish for Brewster too

Crimson Dynasty
2nd December 2020, 07:04 PM

You could say the same thing about Jota before he joined us (at least the "not highly sought after" part and not the "shite" part)

He wasn't even that highly regarded by Wolves fans, and in that team he was below on the pecking order after the likes of Traore and Jimenez - who, once again were and are the names typically bandied about when you talk of Wolves players who could go to better teams.

Even Jota himself pretty much admitted when he was asked about how his scoring has picked up so much since joining us, that the system at Wolves didn't suit his style of play and he's never played in a team as good as Liverpool (who's system suits him perfectly, obviously).

Our style (under Klopp) has never suited Origi, and not since the Brendan days has he had great output (and a little bit leaking into Klopp's first year when he still hadn't established his DNA and style on the team and they were still playing a hybrid system with some of Brendan's tactics). We don't play the "Number 9 Forward with his back to the goal holding play for others to come up with him" style that suits the Origi type forward or a forward like Benteke before him. That's why Bobby's role is so different from a traditional number 9 and why he's output is relatively and comparatively less (and also why he gets so much stick from fans). But he fits in Klopp's system because Klopp gets his goals from elsewhere in the forward line and mid-field.
Origi just always looks lost unless we're playing the "Hoof-it-up" and "let him chase after it" strategy which we don't do a lot of (and which also allows him to switch off from tracking back of defending from the front by high-pressing the opposing team's defenders).

There are teams in the league though, who do play the "Hoof-it-up" Longball style system (this is England after all), and in whose system he'd fit perfectly.

With the injuries ravaging teams right now (not just us), I really wouldn't be surprised if a team matches our valuation of him and comes with a bid in January to help tide them over. I mean, Wolves, LITERALLY just lost their starting striker probably for the foreseeable future....sooo.....there's an example of a team in whose system he'd fit playing off of Traore's runs and who would conceivably see it as good business buying a player from us for 20 million (who fits in their system) after having sold us one in the summer for 45 million (who didn't quite fit). Easy to justify to the shareholders and the fans. And let's be honest here, 20 Million for a striker or a forward in the Premier league - especially for one who's played in the Premier league - is a bargain. Especially with how teams love to overcharge for Premier league players. For us it would be a nice decent 10 million profit for a player that gave us good times, leaves us some great memories but for whom its probably time for him to move on and against whom I wouldn't bear any ill feelings towards.

It might even be worth it to do a half-and-half deal (loan until the end of the season with an option to buy him outright in the Summer) to help get his wages off our books, get him some playing time elsewhere before the Euros next year, and possibly reap a nice tidy profit in the summer.

Balinkay
2nd December 2020, 07:50 PM
Yeah, might work out that way, though I'm really not hopeful in this market.

miller0863
2nd December 2020, 07:52 PM
Said at the time I thought Sheff Utd might have been better investing in Origi than Brewster. Sheff Utd desperately need goals now not next season or the season after when Brewster develops as matures a bit more.

Insidious
2nd December 2020, 07:53 PM

I know it isn't Football Manager, but Origi+Adrian out, talented centre-back in, certainly looks logical right now.

There are a few players in the squad that aren't a good "fit" for a Klopp side. Any time we can get a poor fit out and a good fit in, we should chase it as best we can.

Kev0909
2nd December 2020, 08:57 PM
Said at the time I thought Sheff Utd might have been better investing in Origi than Brewster. Sheff Utd desperately need goals now not next season or the season after when Brewster develops as matures a bit more.

really doesn't suit the style of play, thought it at the time

They'd of been better off getting crouch out of retirement

LEGS
2nd December 2020, 09:03 PM
Cant see us signing any of them Leipzig CB's they are all over the place in the games ive seen.

Both are very young but after Rashford ripped one to bits the other week im not convinced.

You need to be good in the air in England too sure this is something being factored in.

Steveo
2nd December 2020, 09:12 PM
Harvey Elliot scores a beauty for Blackburn from out wide.. lovely strike

miller0863
2nd December 2020, 09:20 PM
Harvey Elliot is fast improving

RedNoodle
2nd December 2020, 09:44 PM
Harvey Elliot is fast improving

Does that also mean he is fast turning into a man made of glass, or perhaps even biscuits?

miller0863
2nd December 2020, 10:21 PM
Glass jar of biscuits knowing our current luck

RedNoodle
2nd December 2020, 10:22 PM
Glass jar of broken biscuits knowing our current luck

Fixed for you.

miller0863
2nd December 2020, 10:23 PM
Marquinios really should put PSG in front with an unmarked close range header

redebreck
4th December 2020, 08:07 AM
Money makes the world go around

Life is a cabaret :)

You do have a point

I think miller comes into that category 🤣🤣

Me tooooo.
Just turned 67!

Insidious
4th December 2020, 09:39 PM
I know this isn't a January thing - just thinking transfers in general.

Kelleher. If he takes the no. 2 spot (which he has begun the process of doing) and Adrian leaves in the Summer, it frees up one of the "non-homegrown" slots in the squad.

Now, I'm sure Kelleher has been showing good things in training - Klopp rewards good stuff - but you'd imagine this is a factor, even if it isn't the main one.

dicko1969
5th December 2020, 10:34 PM
Life is a cabaret :)

Me tooooo.
Just turned 67!

If the uk was organised better after years of government calamities (left and right) people should retire at 60yo.

justincredible
8th December 2020, 09:23 AM
Let's get this lad signed up ASAP....

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2020/12/08/on-my-knees-liverpool-fans-ecstatic-at-gini-wijnaldum-contract-update/

Balinkay
8th December 2020, 09:51 AM
I still think we should keep him. He might be 30, but he's had an excellent injure record and is fit as a bull. Still in his prime and we can surely eek out another two-three very good years from him. Look at Milner!

Kev0909
8th December 2020, 10:14 AM
I still think we should keep him. He might be 30, but he's had an excellent injure record and is fit as a bull. Still in his prime and we can surely eek out another two-three very good years from him. Look at Milner!

Could probably play at least another 3-4 years he's never been really about raw pace

miller0863
8th December 2020, 05:02 PM
98% passing accuracy on Sunday, that’s some effort..

Nineteenx
9th December 2020, 12:37 AM

I think we absolutely have to keep him, he is, like every other of our midfielders bar Hendo and Thiago severely limited in his distribution, but he is absolutely phenomenal in the press and in driving the ball forward, winning second balls and quickly supporting Mane and Robbo down our left he and Hendo have a fantastic understanding

Nineteenx
9th December 2020, 12:40 AM
Get me Schuurs

justme
9th December 2020, 01:55 PM
With how the players have preformed the back up ones. Whats peoples opinions on getting further signings in January?
what positions is still required for reinforcements?

stevie harkness
9th December 2020, 02:15 PM
I don't expect any signings in January.

I know people want us to go shopping for central defenders but we can't sign a foreign player until we let one go. Adrian, Origi? Shaq?

In six months we'll be looking for midfielders if Wijnaldum and Milner leave but one window at a time.

skyebo
9th December 2020, 03:19 PM

I know people want us to go shopping for central defenders but we can't sign a foreign player until we let one go. Adrian, Origi? Shaq?

In six months we'll be looking for midfielders if Wijnaldum and Milner leave but one window at a time.

I'd rather they both stayed, like most on here.

Balinkay
9th December 2020, 03:34 PM
Wonder if Millie will want to go back to Leeds for a last Hurrah, especially as they're in the PL now?

skyebo
9th December 2020, 03:43 PM
Wonder if Millie will want to go back to Leeds for a last Hurrah, especially as they're in the PL now?

I thought he was going there last summer, but thankfully nothing came of it.

stevie harkness
9th December 2020, 04:23 PM
I'd rather they both stayed, like most on here.

For sure but we need to be prepared, Milner isn't getting any younger.

skyebo
9th December 2020, 04:29 PM
For sure but we need to be prepared, Milner isn't getting any younger.

Indeed Stevie.

Nineteenx
9th December 2020, 06:16 PM
With how the players have preformed the back up ones. Whats peoples opinions on getting further signings in January?
what positions is still required for reinforcements?

Schuurs at CB

faridtoxteth
9th December 2020, 06:18 PM
Schuurs at CB

This.

Nineteenx
9th December 2020, 06:25 PM
This.

Yep Schuurs and I'm thinking about the longterm, not just because of our current issues and as much as we all hope and pray for the best possible recoveries for everyone, players can and often do have niggling injuries after long lay offs which keep them out for 3-4 weeks for each one however good the recovery and we need another top CB who has a clean bill of health injury wise longterm too

Edit: Oh and far better to try and snap Schuurs up for the reported 27m now for the longterm than him rocket into De Ligt value territory, I actually think he's a better defender than De Ligt anyway, more aggressive, more physical, doesn't let himself get 'squared up' as De Ligt has a habit of doing and doesn't get megged all the time either

RedNoodle
9th December 2020, 06:47 PM
Milner has more assists in the CL than Pogba.

justme
9th December 2020, 06:51 PM
Milner has more assists in the CL than Pogba.

That doesn't say much though?

RedNoodle
9th December 2020, 06:52 PM
That doesn't say much though?

Well it either says that Milner is a very good player and/or Pogba is extremely overrated/overvalued.

justme
9th December 2020, 06:56 PM
Well it either says that Milner is a very good player and/or Pogba is extremely overrated/overvalued.

I never got the hype over Pogba,All this stuff surrounding him. is to hide the fact hes garbage

RedNoodle
9th December 2020, 07:01 PM
I never got the hype over Pogba,All this stuff surrounding him. is to hide the fact hes garbage

I think everybody with eyes and sense said at the time that his price was ludicrous and that he'd end up failing at Man U.

LEGS
9th December 2020, 07:47 PM

We can sign a foreign player if we take Van Djik off the list of players.

We could sell someone like you mentioned and if I was a betting man it will be Origi.

stevie harkness
9th December 2020, 07:56 PM
We can sign a foreign player if we take Van Djik off the list of players.

We could sell someone like you mentioned and if I was a betting man it will be Origi.

Ooh I don't think Klopp would do that unless van Dijk is definitely out for the season.

Adrian's contract is up in June but it's a specialist position so yeah Origi or maybe Shaq would be less of a surprise.

LEGS
9th December 2020, 08:25 PM
Ooh I don't think Klopp would do that unless van Dijk is definitely out for the season.

Adrian's contract is up in June but it's a specialist position so yeah Origi or maybe Shaq would be less of a surprise.

That is correct I think its fair to say he is out for the season going by usual recovery time.

I wouldnt sell Shaq he is a useful sub but can see someone like Wolves/Leeds looking at Origi

teesred
9th December 2020, 08:28 PM

Agree. The likes of Neville still say hes world class. Hes never been world class, a few good games in a world cup does not warrant the tag. Some people were/are waiting for him to suddenly turn the page and be this midfield beast hes allegedly supposed to he. He is what he is in that team and wont be any more. I hope they keep him.
Hes the most overrated player in history, how hes got the profile he has is pure genius from whoever markets him.

Nineteenx
9th December 2020, 08:54 PM
Ajax out of the Champions League, get me Schuurs on the phone, NOW

stevie harkness
10th December 2020, 09:03 AM
That is correct I think its fair to say he is out for the season going by usual recovery time.

I wouldnt sell Shaq he is a useful sub but can see someone like Wolves/Leeds looking at Origi

Still harsh to bin him, don't think Klopp would do that.

Yes, I can see other clubs looking at Origi but will they actually buy him?

Balinkay
10th December 2020, 09:04 AM
I think there will be potential buyers, but not for a good price.

Insidious
10th December 2020, 09:36 AM

There's clearly talent there in certain areas of the game - has a very natural way of passing the ball and good range. Also his height means, as the pundits like to say, "he's an athlete" so he flatters to deceive. He has had enough "moments" for people to know that if he actually applied himself he could be a great player. But he doesn't have work ethic / drive to self-improve of the likes of Henderson.

It's somewhere between the Balotelli and Ozil situations for me. Ozil is a VERY gifted player, we saw him show that in the World Cup for Germany before Real Madrid went for him and we saw it with Madrid. Not "a runner" and as his career has gone on his attitude has been poor. But definitely talented. Then you get players like Balotelli who, on appearance at least, have "everything" for their role - Balotelli can shift (see his second goal against Germany in that Euro semi against Germany) and can (accurately) twat a ball, plus has the height/build of someone like Lewandowski, along with a good first touch - ON PAPER he has "everything" a striker in his mould should but unlike Ozil's peak, didn't show it anywhere near often enough.

Pogba is somewhere in-between the two. I don't rate him at all as a player, in just the same way I wouldn't rate Ozil (current version) or Balotelli (most of his career) because they lack the ethic of a Henderson, professionalism of a Milner or the consistency of a Wijnaldum. How I try to think of it is whether or not someone like Pogba or Balotelli would be a very good player if they had minds similar to those of the lads above us and to be fair to Pogba's natural talent if he truly applied himself I definitely think there's a decent player there.

Thankfully (for the likes of ourselves) a bit of natural talent is nowhere near enough to make a player. Takes drive and also takes (the right kind of) confidence. Look at someone like Torres. I appreciate the weight of his transfer fee to Chelsea was huge and injuries robbed him of much of what made him great, but a player with a different mind on them would still find ways to be really effective. Torres couldn't, though nobody would say he wasn't World Class in his day.

Pogba and his situation do make for a lot of point-and-laugh for us though. Which is the important thing :lol:

justincredible
10th December 2020, 09:38 AM
The back of Shaq?

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2020/12/08/injury-has-cost-xherdan-shaqiri-one-final-shot-at-liverpool-career/

Insidious
10th December 2020, 09:49 AM
The back of Shaq?

29, injured a lot, is one obstacle in the path of someone like Elliott (who isn't ready yet of course, but you'd fancy will be in a couple of years) and is on a reasonable wedge (think it's £80,000 a week, can't remember) so in terms of value and FSG/Edwards being the way they are, it wouldn't be a huge surprise if he departed at the end of the season. That's half the wages of a top forward or most (maybe all) of the wages of a new, young centre-back or wages for someone central who is fitter than Ox or Keita when Milner eventually departs.

justincredible
10th December 2020, 09:57 AM
You're bang on the nail Sid, £80,000...

https://www.sportekz.com/football/liverpool-players-salaries/

justme
10th December 2020, 10:32 AM
There's clearly talent there in certain areas of the game - has a very natural way of passing the ball and good range. Also his height means, as the pundits like to say, "he's an athlete" so he flatters to deceive. He has had enough "moments" for people to know that if he actually applied himself he could be a great player. But he doesn't have work ethic / drive to self-improve of the likes of Henderson.

It's somewhere between the Balotelli and Ozil situations for me. Ozil is a VERY gifted player, we saw him show that in the World Cup for Germany before Real Madrid went for him and we saw it with Madrid. Not "a runner" and as his career has gone on his attitude has been poor. But definitely talented. Then you get players like Balotelli who, on appearance at least, have "everything" for their role - Balotelli can shift (see his second goal against Germany in that Euro semi against Germany) and can (accurately) twat a ball, plus has the height/build of someone like Lewandowski, along with a good first touch - ON PAPER he has "everything" a striker in his mould should but unlike Ozil's peak, didn't show it anywhere near often enough.

Pogba is somewhere in-between the two. I don't rate him at all as a player, in just the same way I wouldn't rate Ozil (current version) or Balotelli (most of his career) because they lack the ethic of a Henderson, professionalism of a Milner or the consistency of a Wijnaldum. How I try to think of it is whether or not someone like Pogba or Balotelli would be a very good player if they had minds similar to those of the lads above us and to be fair to Pogba's natural talent if he truly applied himself I definitely think there's a decent player there.

Thankfully (for the likes of ourselves) a bit of natural talent is nowhere near enough to make a player. Takes drive and also takes (the right kind of) confidence. Look at someone like Torres. I appreciate the weight of his transfer fee to Chelsea was huge and injuries robbed him of much of what made him great, but a player with a different mind on them would still find ways to be really effective. Torres couldn't, though nobody would say he wasn't World Class in his day.

Pogba and his situation do make for a lot of point-and-laugh for us though. Which is the important thing :lol:

Hes average. be it,hes mentally not up to it. or hes not all great has a footballer and i think its a bit of both.

Steveo
10th December 2020, 11:47 AM
He has very good feet for someone essentially too big to be a great footballer.

That size is his biggest weapon but also his biggest hindrance. At times he goes past players like a 15 year old goes past a 10 year old - size of stride length....but then that size also means he is limited in ability to turn and stop. He is in effect like a decent full grown man playing against a team of very skilful boys. An Athlete more than a great footballer - he would have been perfect for Wenger..

redebreck
10th December 2020, 05:12 PM
You're bang on the nail Sid, £80,000...

https://www.sportekz.com/football/liverpool-players-salaries/

Thiago's on a good wedge.

Kev0909
10th December 2020, 05:57 PM

Wij and trent need a pay increase

Wij just a bit

LEGS
10th December 2020, 06:14 PM
Wij and trent need a pay increase

Wij just a bit

Phillips cant be on more than Trent ...£70k a week no chance he is on more than Origi too.

Kev0909
10th December 2020, 06:31 PM
Phillips cant be on more than Trent ...£70k a week no chance he is on more than Origi too.

Grujic is on quite a bit considering too

Jones on

£7,500??? I think not

Balinkay
10th December 2020, 06:34 PM
Grujic is on quite a bit considering too

Jones on

£7,500??? I think not

Why not? I'm guessing it's the same contract he signed at 17 when he was first allowed to. Has he signed an improvement?

skyebo
10th December 2020, 06:38 PM
All youngsters should get maximum £1k per week, most will still be living at home with their parents and it's good grounding to appreciate the value of money. Too much too soon for many players these days.

Kev0909
10th December 2020, 06:39 PM
Why not? I'm guessing it's the same contract he signed at 17 when he was first allowed to. Has he signed an improvement?

if it is he should be asking / demanding a new contract considering what others are on

Same as Trent

necos on

£25,000....

Kelleher double the amount of jones

how does that work? when jones has been starting a lot ok injury's has helped but still

Balinkay
10th December 2020, 06:45 PM
if it is he should be asking / demanding a new contract considering what others are on

Same as Trent

necos on

£25,000....

Kelleher double the amount of jones

how does that work? when jones has been starting a lot ok injury's has helped but still

I mean you can't renegotiate your contract every week. I'm guessing he'll get a considerable raise soon enough - we've generally tried to tie down our important players rather quickly.

ianlfc
10th December 2020, 08:10 PM
All youngsters should get maximum £1k per week, most will still be living at home with their parents and it's good grounding to appreciate the value of money. Too much too soon for many players these days.

As well you know that will never happen. If Liverpool won't pay top dollar another club will.
I'd say most kids at 16 who sign their first contract are on at least 2 grand a week some may be more.
10 years ago Liverpool offered our lad about £1200 a week so no doubt it's more now.

miller0863
10th December 2020, 08:18 PM
Trent and Wilson on the same money .... woooahhh get that sorted.
Tsimikas has a very good Agent, Curtis is definitely due an increase and if Wij is after a few quid more I cannot blame him.

ianlfc
10th December 2020, 08:22 PM
I remember Carra saying he always felt new signing coming in on huge money and being pretty average players was hard to take. Especially as they were on more than him and they couldn't give a toss about the club ,only the money.

RedNoodle
10th December 2020, 08:43 PM
Trent and Wilson on the same money .... woooahhh get that sorted.
Tsimikas has a very good Agent, Curtis is definitely due an increase and if Wij is after a few quid more I cannot blame him.

They are all on a **** load more than most, and on insanely more than people like me are/should be on. That's all I need to know.

skyebo
10th December 2020, 09:26 PM
As well you know that will never happen. If Liverpool won't pay top dollar another club will.
I'd say most kids at 16 who sign their first contract are on at least 2 grand a week some may be more.
10 years ago Liverpool offered our lad about £1200 a week so no doubt it's more now.

It's not the players fault, it's the clubs that are to blame for offering them so much in the first place.

teesred
10th December 2020, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=ianlfc;2666896]I remember Carra saying he always felt new signing coming in on huge money and being pretty average players was hard to take. Especially as they were on more than him and they couldn't give a toss about the club ,only the

Imagine being Carra and watching turds like El Hafji Diouf pick up thousands more. There'll be a list as long as his arm for players like that.

RedNoodle
10th December 2020, 09:31 PM
Imagine being disabled and seeing some players earn more in a couple of hours than they do in a year.

skyebo
10th December 2020, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=ianlfc;2666896]I remember Carra saying he always felt new signing coming in on huge money and being pretty average players was hard to take. Especially as they were on more than him and they couldn't give a toss about the club ,only the

Imagine being Carra and watching turds like El Hafji Diouf pick up thousands more. There'll be a list as long as his arm for players like that.

He was a horrible little man. Mind you, Carragher was no better than him, for what he did. Very lucky to keep his job at Sky.

teesred
10th December 2020, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=teesred;2666906]

He was a horrible little man. Mind you, Carragher was no better than him, for what he did. Very lucky to keep his job at Sky.

He was lucky. Lord knows what he was thinking when he did that.

CCTV
11th December 2020, 01:36 AM

Prepping the squad for Mbappe ;)

dicko1969
16th December 2020, 08:24 PM
January
Sick n tired of you hanging on me...

15 days to go.

CB s plural absolute MUST

And a robust CM , I DOUBT.

We have 7 or 8 senior players for midfield.

It's a catch 22 situation.
Covid has hit finances and transfer money.
But at the same time the covid season is more intense.

justincredible
17th December 2020, 07:55 AM
Sign him up...!!

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2020/12/16/report-jurgen-klopp-ready-to-fight-for-gini-wijnaldum-contract-extension/

stevie harkness
17th December 2020, 08:49 AM
Linked with former Ajax centre back Sven Botman at cash strapped Lille

HLOGI
17th December 2020, 09:04 AM
Sign him up...!!

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2020/12/16/report-jurgen-klopp-ready-to-fight-for-gini-wijnaldum-contract-extension/

Please asap.

Insidious
17th December 2020, 09:14 AM
Sign him up...!!

Absolutely.

Versatile, always available for a pass, likely useful for helping Dutch lads settle, very resistant to being pressed on the pitch, wonderful injury record, game isn't reliant upon sprint speed so form shouldn't drop off a cliff.

Can understand the Club not wanting a squad with too many players in it that are 30+ in terms of planning ahead for the future (replacing the core of a squad becomes a problem, look at how much work Barca need) but Gini is a cracking player who can be used in a Milner-esque fashion further down the line. Those are invaluable.

miller0863
17th December 2020, 10:33 AM
Not the creator in midfield but extremely reliable, great engine keeps possession better than anyone else in our midfield, 98% pass success rate v Wolves, a performance topped off with a superb goal from outside the box. Could do with a few more goals a season than we’ve seen and does have his awol moments away from Anfield but I can’t see a problem with giving him 4 years. Millie has a maximum of one more season and we need to keep a balance of experience and youth in the squad.
He is a winner remember, won everything at club level, I’d keep him. Keita should be the first midfielder out of the door, maybe in part ex back to the Bundesliga where it’s less physical.

Balinkay
17th December 2020, 11:27 AM
He captains the Dutch national team ffs - that alone should be enough qualification.

Kev0909
17th December 2020, 02:38 PM
he was quality last night, better than world class hendo

will be a big loss

least injury prone midfielder along with Jones too

skyebo
17th December 2020, 02:54 PM
he was quality last night, better then world class hendo

will be a big loss

He WILL be a big loss. Ronnie Whelan use to get a lot of stick from the crowd in the 80s, but Souness always said they missed him when he wasn't playing. Let's hope they can come up with a deal that suits everyone.

vin
17th December 2020, 03:13 PM
he was quality last night, better then world class hendo

will be a big loss

Which Hendo is that?

justme
17th December 2020, 03:30 PM
Once Jurgen gets involved the deal is done (hopefully)

Nineteenx
17th December 2020, 04:52 PM
Schuurs

miller0863
17th December 2020, 05:13 PM
Unusually brief 19.

faridtoxteth
17th December 2020, 05:30 PM
Gini is a beast when he is on his game. Very difficult to dispossess. really hope we can do the deal he wants.
Also agree with Schuurs. we are waafer thin in central defence. Who knows how Virgil or Joe will be when they get back. Some players never quite get back to what they were before. Let's hope for the best, but just saying.