PDA

View Full Version : The new young managers (EX footballers)

Kev0909
12th December 2020, 12:29 PM
How do you think they're doing? seems almost a new generation compared to the previous years

On about Arteta Ole Gerrard lampard etc , (add ones you know)

Better to stick with the old guard? or is it as good idea to take on someone that's raw to the manager side?

It seems a mixed bag for me, some are doing great, others are doing shocking (arteta and his tactics are incredible) lols

What's your opinion on em? the new generation- i'm not going to ask who's your fav because that'll be obviously gerrard for all of us i'd imagine

Hopefully for some, henderson will become a manager when he retires, wonder what milner will do? maybe coaching role with us? bin it off? and drink water for the rest of his day's while reading books at home, with beans on toast for lunch every day?

Who knows?

Balinkay
12th December 2020, 12:34 PM
Pirlo and Zidane too. Xavi will be at Barca soon enough. Plenty of them. And thank fuck! Managers can be entertaining as hell and a tactical battle between too good coaches is as good as it gets in football.

Kev0909
12th December 2020, 12:40 PM
Pirlo and Zidane too. Xavi will be at Barca soon enough. Plenty of them. And thank fuck! Managers can be entertaining as hell and a tactical battle between too good coaches is as good as it gets in football.

Even Wayne Rooney !! He gave up playing for derby and become manager instead!

Yeah i've not listed the foreign ones - i know there's more just off top of my head.

I want gerrard to come to EPL, that'll be fun with some manc managers

miller0863
12th December 2020, 12:46 PM
Don’t underestimate the job Gerrard is doing at Rangers. Money and squad wise Rangers were miles behind Celtic when he went there, miles.
They had no European experience as a group, had come nowhere near winning anything for years since their demotion down the leagues.

He has massively improved the squad with a record spend of £7m on Ryan Kent and a group of wandering has been and never will be nomads.

They haven’t just scraped through their group in the Europa, they have dominated games. They were the better team in both games v a very expensive and Champions League experienced Benfica and just ran out of steam at the end of both games, having been in winning positions.
They still won the group and have started this season UNBEATEN in 26 games, keeping 20 clean sheets, conceding only 3 league goals in 16 games and have a plus 42 goal difference already (Celtic are plus 21)

Big season for Stevie, needs to win the league, a domestic cup and go as deep as possible into the Europa League. If he does, I’d say his prolonged “interview” for the Liverpool job will be going far better than we could have hoped.

Maybe a job in England as a final stepping stone, success there and he’s in.
Hopefully he’ll do better than Frank did at Derby which didn’t go that well but he’s still been given the Chelsea job and an incredible £200m to spend into the bargain.

Wouldn’t be ruling out Gerrard as a future manager as many have, just yet.

Kev0909
12th December 2020, 12:48 PM
Indeed gerrard is fast improving!

He's done incredible this season with that team, and like you say compared to celtic... the money isn't there, or was the squad but he's made the team work together very well much like klopp has here

miller0863
12th December 2020, 01:16 PM
Tavernier playing at RB is the main man and has scored 16 goals already ...LB Barisic pushes on and is an excellent crosser of the ball.

Wonder where he got the idea of getting so much attacking benefit from his full backs

CCTV
12th December 2020, 01:27 PM
Don’t underestimate the job Gerrard is doing at Rangers. Money and squad wise Rangers were miles behind Celtic when he went there, miles.
They had no European experience as a group, had come nowhere near winning anything for years since their demotion down the leagues.

He has massively improved the squad with a record spend of £7m on Ryan Kent and a group of wandering has been and never will be nomads.

They haven’t just scraped through their group in the Europa, they have dominated games. They were the better team in both games v a very expensive and Champions League experienced Benfica and just ran out of steam at the end of both games, having been in winning positions.
They still won the group and have started this season UNBEATEN in 26 games, keeping 20 clean sheets, conceding only 3 league goals in 16 games and have a plus 42 goal difference already (Celtic are plus 21)

Big season for Stevie, needs to win the league, a domestic cup and go as deep as possible into the Europa League. If he does, I’d say his prolonged “interview” for the Liverpool job will be going far better than we could have hoped.

Maybe a job in England as a final stepping stone, success there and he’s in.
Hopefully he’ll do better than Frank did at Derby which didn’t go that well but he’s still been given the Chelsea job and an incredible £200m to spend into the bargain.

Wouldn’t be ruling out Gerrard as a future manager as many have, just yet.

Haven't watched a single game of theirs but on paper it's hard to argue with the Facts.
Doing a great job and they wouldn't be a big financial side even in Europe and certainly dont have the Portuguese advantage of drawing many south american prospects.

CCTV
12th December 2020, 01:28 PM
Tavernier playing at RB is the main man and has scored 16 goals already ...LB Barisic pushes on and is an excellent crosser of the ball.

Wonder where he got the idea of getting so much attacking benefit from his full backs

Melwood init..

skyebo
12th December 2020, 01:32 PM
Gerrard seems to be doing a decent job, but i still wouldn't want him here when Klopp eventually leaves. A massive difference between Scottish Premiership and this one. He started up playing catch up on Celtic, now it looks like the tables are turning. Credit to his staff as well, it won't all be down to Gerrard.

CCTV
12th December 2020, 01:36 PM
Gerrard seems to be doing a decent job, but i still wouldn't want him here when Klopp eventually leaves. A massive difference between Scottish Premiership and this one. He started up playing catch up on Celtic, now it looks like the tables are turning. Credit to his staff as well, it won't all be down to Gerrard.

I wonder if more people on here would want pep lindjers over gerrard as a next manager.

Dont see how people could take that view when pep hasn't been out on his own yet really.

skyebo
12th December 2020, 01:42 PM
I wonder if more people on here would want pep lindjers over gerrard as a next manager.

Dont see how people could take that view when pep hasn't been out on his own yet really.

When Klopp goes, there will be plenty of managers with more experience than those two who would want the job. I wouldn't want Pep Lindjers near it either.

stevie harkness
12th December 2020, 02:28 PM
Still waiting for Carragher to come and rescue us as promised by some online experts back in the day.

Solskjaer and Arteta seemed to do well at first. Lampard is doing okay. Scott Parker is doing a good job obviously.

miller0863
12th December 2020, 03:26 PM
Which is why I emphasised Gerrard’s Europa record, way better than Rodgers with a much better squad.

ianlfc
12th December 2020, 03:42 PM
Big Sam doesn't like this

faridtoxteth
12th December 2020, 04:49 PM
Bit surprised about the negativity around Pep Lijnders. Not only have we had great success with him and Klopp, but also the playing style is fantastic and exciting, so you would get that continuity of style. I think he would or should definitely be given the opportunity to see how he does. Think he is pretty good at man management too.
I would be wary of getting Gerrard in too soon until he has shown what he can do in a more difficult league. I think the Championship is a much more testing league than the Scottish prem. Would you want a Championship manager coming in because he had done well in that league?
Somewhere down the line i think we might see Xabi Alonso or even Mascherano (or both together!)

teesred
12th December 2020, 05:10 PM
When Klopp goes, there will be plenty of managers with more experience than those two who would want the job. I wouldn't want Pep Lindjers near it either.

Why wouldn't you want Lindjers?

skyebo
12th December 2020, 06:27 PM
Why wouldn't you want Lindjers?

Because good assistants don't always make good managers and i wouldn't risk him. In any case, he may want to follow Klopp in his next job.

miller0863
12th December 2020, 06:31 PM
Gerrard & Linders

Kev0909
13th December 2020, 09:20 PM
Arteta going to end up in the championship at this rate

or norway

Insidious
13th December 2020, 09:25 PM

Yep.

Someone like Nagelsmann or "the next" top Manager will be available.

Nineteenx
13th December 2020, 10:23 PM
Gerrard seems to be doing a decent job, but i still wouldn't want him here when Klopp eventually leaves. A massive difference between Scottish Premiership and this one.

As we found out with Souness, let's not travel that road again

HLOGI
13th December 2020, 10:28 PM
Think if Linders is here when Klopp leaves if he has the ambition he should be given a chance. Especially if he is a big part if Ebay is going on into background. Number 2s dont always make good number 1s but we have had some if our biggest successes under a formet number 2 or assistant in Paisley and a player coach turn manager in Kenny.

These things are not cast in stone. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Also on Gerrard it could work or not but Scottish Premier League is not EPL.

For me the question of a coach manager is he a football thinker and greater man manager.

It seems in recent years people who succeed are midfielders and people whose careers were cut short or had minimal success but were students of the game (obsessed).

Midfielders, Pep, Rijkaard, Zidane, Ancelotti.

Students, Jose Mourinho, Nuno. Low, I know Flick was a player as well but also seems like a student learning as a assistant to the for long.

So Stevie is a midfielder and Pep Lijnders a student so I wont mind either.

Gerrard is a risk cause he is a legend but surely sometime in his life he should be given a chance. We are romantic club so an appointment like that fits us.

HLOGI
13th December 2020, 10:29 PM
As we found out with Souness, let's not travel that road again

Lol. Once bitten forever shy. But I will take him. Think he is a thinker and his teams could play the way he did. With freedom and passion. Love what he is doing at Rangers.

Crimson Dynasty
13th December 2020, 10:33 PM
Think if Linders is here when Klopp leaves if he has the ambition he should be given a chance. Especially if he is a big part if Ebay is going on into background. Number 2s dont always make good number 1s but we have had some if our biggest successes under a formet number 2 or assistant in Paisley and a player coach turn manager in Kenny.

These things are not cast in stone. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Also on Gerrard it could work or not but Scottish Premier League is not EPL.

For me the question of a coach manager is he a football thinker and greater man manager.

It seems in recent years people who succeed are midfielders and people whose careers were cut short or had minimal success but were students of the game (obsessed).

Midfielders, Pep, Rijkaard, Zidane, Ancelotti.

Students, Jose Mourinho, Nuno. Low, I know Flick was a player as well but also seems like a student learning as a assistant to the for long.

So Stevie is a midfielder and Pep Lijnders a student so I wont mind either.

Gerrard is a risk cause he is a legend but surely sometime in his life he should be given a chance. We are romantic club so an appointment like that fits us.

I think if Stevie earns legitimate success with Rangers in Scotland (beyond just winning the SPL; he needs to tack on a Europa League as well or get to the final, as well as maybe taking them far in the Champion's League), then he will have earned the legitimate right to get get a chance to manage us.

It wouldn't be like with Lampard at Chelsea or Arteta with the Arse, since he'll be coming from a position of actually WON something and not just managed.

Other than that, I'd be okay with Pep taking over.

(would also love it if either of them brought on Milly into their Coaching staff. He's a true servant of the club who should always be here regardless of who's managing)

HLOGI
13th December 2020, 10:37 PM
I think if Stevie earns legitimate success with Rangers in Scotland (beyond just winning the SPL; he needs to tack on a Europa League as well or get to the final, as well as maybe taking them far in the Champion's League), then he will have earned the legitimate right to get get a chance to manage us.

It wouldn't be like with Lampard at Chelsea or Arteta with the Arse, since he'll be coming from a position of actually WON something and not just managed.

Other than that, I'd be okay with Pep taking over.

(would also love it if either of them brought on Milly into their Coaching staff. He's a true servant of the club who should always be here regardless of who's managing)

Agree

LEGS
13th December 2020, 10:49 PM
Gerrard is doing a good job at Rangers he needs to win the title and get to last 16 or QF of EL to stand out they not go further than that.

He would then have to do a good job at either another EPL side or a team in a stronger European league for me to feel comfortable.

He was a world class player for us and is one of our best ever without question.

BUT my concern is if it doesnt go well we could be in a Ole situation where the likes of Carragher do a Neville and stick up for their mate.

I know we had a bootroom and Kenny but these days with social media its a brutal job.

Insidious
14th December 2020, 09:50 AM
I think we had 16 points after 12 games under Hodgson.

So Arteta is doing worse (in the League at least) this season than the Hodge was.

That's pretty damn poor.

Insidious
14th December 2020, 02:07 PM
Arsenal draw Benfica.

Ouch!

teesred
14th December 2020, 03:18 PM
Dortmund have sacked their manager.

CCTV
14th December 2020, 03:18 PM
Bit surprised about the negativity around Pep Lijnders. Not only have we had great success with him and Klopp, but also the playing style is fantastic and exciting, so you would get that continuity of style. I think he would or should definitely be given the opportunity to see how he does. Think he is pretty good at man management too.
I would be wary of getting Gerrard in too soon until he has shown what he can do in a more difficult league. I think the Championship is a much more testing league than the Scottish prem. Would you want a Championship manager coming in because he had done well in that league?
Somewhere down the line i think we might see Xabi Alonso or even Mascherano (or both together!)

I dont get how people can put a manager in a lesser league whose in Europe and doing well there below an assistant manager to the worlds best manager.
Has lindjers got a record out on his own of note ?

Kev0909
14th December 2020, 03:32 PM
Dortmund have sacked their manager.

Bit harsh, but they did lose 5-1 to a newly promoted side and results have been a bit dodgy lately

still very early in season, but you never know the full story.

ianlfc
16th December 2020, 10:59 AM
Big Sam doesn't like this

Apparently he's just finished his pie,chips and gravy breakfast. And is looking at TripAdvisor reviews of chippys in the Midlands area.

ianlfc
16th December 2020, 01:21 PM
Apparently he's just finished his pie,chips and gravy breakfast. And is looking at TripAdvisor reviews of chippys in the Midlands area.

He's happy with what he's seen 🤣🤣🤣

redebreck
16th December 2020, 04:04 PM

He's happy with what he's seen 🤣🤣🤣

I thought takeaways was more his forté.

Insidious
16th December 2020, 05:21 PM

Washed down with a pint of Wine?

ianlfc
16th December 2020, 06:05 PM
Washed down with a pint of Wine?

The all inclusive continental breakfast of kings.

stevie harkness
17th December 2020, 07:28 PM
I had to laugh when I saw the headline: Allardyce "hungrier than ever", haha!

Kev0909
17th December 2020, 10:15 PM
I'm glad the new generation of managers play good football or try at least

Last of the bigsams

stevie harkness
20th December 2020, 08:17 AM
Fifth placed Watford have sacked Vladimir Ivic and are now looking for their 5th manager in just over a year.

The merry-go-round just gets crazier at Christmas.

miller0863
20th December 2020, 11:20 AM
What a joke club. You’d have to be embarrassed supporting Watford with the current owners.